10. Hanabi
206 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There's not much use pondering about it. If they want to start a war, go ahead. They are simply aiding me in my journey.

However, I would prefer it if they start after I've reached the A rank. 

Without further ado, I quickly gulp one vial of power poison down my body. Jean stares at me from afar. 

The power poison quickly distributes itself to all my viruses and cells. It's too little, my "mouth" can fit more.

I gulp 5 more vials of power poison and then 13 more vials. Despite that much "potent" energy poured into my body, only 20% of the viruses are used to contain it. 

Well, this should be enough to break through to the D rank. 

I throw a glance at Jean.

She is fidgeting with her hand and staring at the last vial.

"Hey, you can have the last one. Don't let the hero association take it this time." I say.

!!

She lights up. "Eh? Master I...don't really...need it..." She forces herself to say.

"I need you to survive and your body needs food. Sell it. I've taken my fill and with that small amount of extra power poison, it won't change much." I say.

Jean smiles brightly and goes to hug me.

???

"What are you doing?!" 

"Thank you, master!!" She screams at the top of her lung. 

"Stop, okay! I understand, let go!" I push her away.

"Hehe..." 

With her grin still intact, she pockets the vial and turns her back to me, walking to a table and fidgeting with something.

I leave her on cloud nine alone and left the apartment. 

When I reach back home, the sun has already set and there is still no sign of Ayaka.

...

I shower and go to my room.

*growl*

My stomach... Right, I haven't had lunch or dinner yet. The clock on the wall reads 19:28. 

It will take me some time to absorb all of the energy. I shouldn't neglect my body in the process.

Taking out my phone, I order some pizza online.

"20 minutes waiting time," I mumble. The phone said that the restaurant is packed with customers and my order will be late.

I stretch my arm as I sit on my bed. Circulating the absurd amount of energy stored, I use the time to absorb parts of it.

*ding dong*

!

Time passed by in a flash...

As I answer the doorbell, I look through the peephole to see a girl wearing a green T-Shirt and a large red hat. On her hat, a pepperoni pizza symbol is sowed onto the side. 

Wait...black hair and eyes with beautiful eyelashes. This girl seems familiar.

I open the door and the girl says "Thank you for ordering from Pizzaz!"

!!!!

She widens her eye. "Ayato...?"

It's Hanabi.

I take the pizza box from her. "Thanks," I say.

When I try to close the door, she holds it in place.

?

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Uh... Can we talk?" Hanabi says.

"You are working."

"This is my last order."

...

"Fine."

I leave the door open and walk to the coffee table beside the couch.

I take the controller and turn the television on. 

"Please excuse me..." Says Hanabi.

The television is playing a news broadcast.

"At dawn today, a new variant of influenza, which is flu for short, at Chitose. However, experts have assured us that aside from its high infectivity, it is not as dangerous. For anyone infected, there is no need to visit the hospital, you can rest for a few days and the flu will be gone." The lady in the white suit on the television says. It's my virus.

New variants of flu pop up every day. However, none is important enough for it to be declared on the news. At least that was everyone's mindset before my appearance.

Ever since my prime, countless people have had PTSD and trauma against infections. 

I sigh. The virus I released isn't potent in any way; I don't plan on mass killing yet.

Still...thanks to the spike in infections, my body is gradually getting better. 

"Ayato... What happened to you?" Hanabi went straight to the point, closing the door behind her.

"You should know."

"...Yes, but I meant about your personality. It changed." 

...

"I am who I am. This is my personality, it can't change." I say. 

Veins appear on her face as she grits her teeth. 

"Why are you giving me the cold shoulder?! What did I do?"

?

I turn my attention to Hanabi to realise a stream of tears flowing down her face.

"I've sacrificed myself to stop them from bullying you!" Says Hanabi.

...

"Firstly, did I ask you to? Secondly, you are not stopping the bullying. You are contributing."

Hanabi widens her eye. "What?" She mumbles.

I glare at her. "Do you know that I liked you? If you agreed to go out with Kaito, the very man who is making my life a living hell, what do you think will happen to my mental state when I realise?"

...

Hanabi stared at the ground, her eyes are twitching. 

...

"Don't worry, I will handle Kaito myself. You can stop now if you want to of course. After all, I'm pretty sure your status in the school skyrocketed after you became his girlfriend." I say.

Hanabi continues to stay put, not moving a muscle. Her hair is covering her face but I can see her mouth wide open.

"If there is nothing else, leave," I say.

...

Hanabi, without saying a single thing, complies.

*thud*

She slams the door and sounds of rapid footsteps are heard outside. I went up to the door to lock it. 

"The death of A-Rank Hero 'Dragon Brawler' has exploded a wave of anxiety. The culprit is still currently on the run." The news reports.

...

I turn my attention back to the news. An A-Rank was killed?

*bzzzt*

My phone started vibrating, I take it out to see one of my notifications about an article. It's about Dragon Brawler's death.

!!!!

The cause of death...is power poison?!

12