Chapter 8 – Mining
106 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sir Campbell was silent for a moment, perhaps processing my words, or perhaps surprised that I was actually talking back. 

The only way in which I was going to use Sir Campbell as an assistant would be pertaining to the iron mine. In regards to everything else, he was just an employee. In the end, I was the lord of this city now. 

This could be called drawing a clear line between us. I would easily admit that I needed my father’s investment. Without it, the establishment of my industry would take far longer. But I wouldn’t allow this accountant to hold ultimate authority over that money. 

I didn’t need him to prematurely think that one of my projects, ones that he surely wouldn’t understand, was a waste of money. 

Sir Campbell, who had been leaning forward, relaxed and sat back with a deep gaze. 

“I understand, Lord Audius.”

“Thank you. Now, how much has my father dedicated to this operation?”

“...This much.”

He took out a note, a commonly used form of payment. 

On it was the royal seal of the Verlenium Empire. And a single number. 

My eyes widened. 

“Two hundred thousand Coin…”

It might not seem like much, but in this world where there weren’t many units of currency in circulation, nearly a quarter of a million units of currency was a significant amount. 

Based on my guesses after observing the technological state of this empire and seeing its geography, there shouldn’t be more than 100 million residents under the Verlenium Empire. It could be around 60 million. 

And the amount of currency in circulation shouldn’t be more than one billion coin, especially since more bank notes were in wide circulation rather than hard metal tender.

So in short, two hundred thousand coin was a lot. So much that I’m shocked my father would invest so much. 

“...Sir Campbell, what’s the average weekly wage for a labor worker? Perhaps a farmer?”

“That’s a hard question to answer precisely. But, for just one week, it should amount to no more than 50 coin.”

“So a yearly salary shouldn’t be more than 2500 coin. 200 thousand coin would amount to a year’s pay for 80 people. So long as we’re actually producing value, that money will be more than enough.”

My mind ran through the numbers. Only employing 80 people for a year wasn’t enough to make any sizeable dent in the mining process. I would need hundreds of people, especially when it came to logistics and startup construction. 

So two hundred thousand, if going with Sir Campbell’s generous guess, wouldn’t last me that long. 

But if we are able to produce value, like smelt the iron and turn it into tools to sell, then we would be able to turn a profit and sustain our operations. 

Well, that’s how every business was run. And all this was nothing more than just that. 

I leveled my gaze at the accountant. 

“Sir Campbell, I think its safe to begin operations. So long as we have the money to begin paying wages immediately, then we should begin hiring people. We need to establish a headquarters near the site, which takes construction, and we should start digging samples to survey and evaluate the land. We also need a road that allows for quick and easy hauling, so more construction. Thankfully, I’ve called the local construction crew. When they arrive, we’ll be discussing business with them. But until then, start posting notices for employment, and get in contact with the city hall to let them know of the situation.”

“...”

Sir Campbell silently stared at me as I gave out a list of orders. Only after a few seconds did he close his eyes and stand. 

“I will begin work immediately, Lord Audius.”

“Thank you.”

I nodded, and the accountant took his leave. 

I waited around in the study for a while. My conversation with Sir Campbell wasn’t short. And since the city wasn’t expansive, the people from the Rock and Stone Foundation didn’t take much longer to arrive. 

“Lord Audius.”

“Baron. Please, bring in our guests.”

I smiled as Baron Hviral ushered in three people. 

Two of them were rough middle aged men, both with beards and nice clothes that didn’t fit their disposition. 

The third was undoubtedly the chemist, a short man with a monocle and dressed in a leather coat. 

“Gentlemen.”

“We greet the new City Lord Audius.”

The three bowed. Although I was the city lord, I was also a Duke’s son. To these people, I was no different from the Imperial Prince. 

I motioned for them to sit, and they sat on chairs in front of the desk of the study. Baron Hviral stood to the side, as my assistant. 

“I’ll get straight to the point, since time is money for all of us here.”

I didn’t beat around the bush, and after plucking a page off the desk, I handed it to the chemist. 

He took the paper and examined it. 

“This is a new formula for a special material called cement. Take limestone and clay, crush them down and mix them in the right way, add some heat, and you get a fantastic compound called cement. When combined with water and mixed with sand or gravel, it becomes a moldable mixture that hardens with time, resulting in the most versatile building material you can imagine. I want you to help me develop this and start production.”

“...”

The chemist was silent as he scanned the page. I had written out that basic diagram for cement production in the morning, and it detailed everything from the mixture ratios to the kiln temperatures and manufacturing process. 

After looking at everything for a bit though, the chemist lifted his head with a weird smile. 

“Lord Audius…”

“Is there something wrong? Perhaps the names of the materials are unfamiliar?”

“No sir, on the contrary, this is a very familiar process. We use a similar limestone mixture in order to create mortar and paste bricks and stone together for our constructions.”

“So you already have an established production process for this?”

“Sort of.”

The chemist scratched his head. 

“The only difference are the small details. For instance, you say this needs to be heated in a kiln at a minimum of 1400 degrees. But, we only cook ours at 1200 degrees at most. Any more and fuel costs tend to get too high. Also, the mixture ratios with clay are a bit different. We don’t use as much clay as this.”

“Ah, I see the issue then.”

I smiled back at them. 

“This method is for a stronger material. The resulting mixture sets much harder than any mortar. It can replace bricks and stone. Still, I’m happy that you already have an established supply for this. That means my job will be easier. What’s your name?”

I turned my head to the man beside the chemist, one of the two with a beard.

“I’m Gerald, and this is my brother Fenten. The chemist is called Reduct, Lord Audius.”

“Gerald. If you can produce this cement mixture in mass quantities, then I’m going to place an order with you. You see, I plan on establishing an iron mine nearby, and I have a large investment backing me. As you’re the only construction company in the city, you’ll be the profiteers of this operation. Get me what I want, and you’ll be working with me at this iron mine.”

“...”

Although I was offering a tempting proposition, Gerald responded with silence. He glanced to his partner, one that told me something was going on. 

I sighed. 

“Gerald, is there something I should know about?”

“Well, you see Lord Audius, I believe there’s already a small mining company working on the nearby iron deposit. I happen to be a friend of the owner as we frequently do business with each other…”

This time, I was a bit befuddled. 

But after thinking about it, I smiled. 

“Hahaha! One step too late! Well, I can’t say I’m surprised. It was unreasonable to think that an untapped treasure would stay that way forever. Very well then. Change of plans.”

I could only take things in stride. 

“I’ll have to trouble you to send a message to that owner. Tonight, if he can, tomorrow if not. Just tell him to find me here, and we’ll discuss a deal.” 

“Of course, Lord Audius. I’m sure he’ll be eager for such a great business opportunity.”

“Mm. As for you guys, well, my offer is on the table. Take the ratios for cement and run some tests. I’ll come visit in four days to see the progress. If you succeed, then we can move forward.”

“We will do our best.”

With those assurances, Gerald and his brother Fenten left with the chemist. 

And sure enough, it wasn’t long after that Sir Campbel came back with news. 

“Lord Audius, it seems someone has already established a small outpost on the mine.”

“Yes, I heard. I’ve already dealt with it. We’ll be talking with the owner of that outpost soon.”

“What did you have in mind?”

Sir Campbell asked with curiosity. I had no doubt shown myself to be much different from what he’s heard. The rumors about me being an ambitionless leech didn’t match what I was doing now. 

“We’re going to handle this like business men. Just be ready to fork out a large sum of money. It won’t be long before we start putting that investment to use.”

“Of course.”

With that, I began the first steps toward establishing my industry. 

……

“Gentle Snow. I don’t recall permitting you to leave, let alone go back to Northtown.”

Helva stood tall within the dark cave. In front of her was Gentle Snow, who stood as an equal. 

“I’m sorry, matriarch. I needed to make sure that the girl was okay. Although she wasn’t hung, there are fates that are worse than a quick death, especially for sorcerers.”

“But that does not mean you can put the rest of us in jeopardy on a whim!”

Helva shouted, her shrill voice echoing reverberating across the surrounding stone walls. 

The nearby sorcerers ducked away in fear, as if they were the ones being yelled at. 

“Do you not understand? That city lord is the son of a Duke! Trash or not, he only needs to say a word and we would have an entire army hunting us! We would be eradicated in mere weeks! And you didn’t even come back with the sorcerer, so that means she knows of our existence and is still in the possession of that city lord. What gives you the idea that he won’t use her against us?!”

“...I spoke to him.”

Gentle Snow cautiously said those words, yet the reaction she was afraid of still came.

“You what?!”

“The girl currently resides within the city lord’s manor, and after I scouted, I found out that the city lord saved her because he doesn’t believe in the lies of the Order. So I spoke to him.”

“To think you actually revealed yourself…”

Helva shivered in anger, but Gentle Snow insisted. 

“He offered to house us. He said that the entire militia could go and take refuge in his city. And… he didn’t lie.”

“Nonsense! We both know that your ability to see truth is only a gut feeling. Do you remember the last time we believed in that ability of yours?”

“...”

Gentle Snow bit her lip as her hand clenched. 

“Nearly half of us were killed, all because you thought you could trust the wrong person. Now you want to throw us into the lions den that is that city? You actually think we can be safe there? That sorcerer is only bait to lure us out! To think that after everything you’ve been through, you’re still able to be so naive.”

“...”

Helva walked away, leaving Gentle Snow to shake in emotion and rage. 

But, after only a few moments, she stilled. She raised her head, her visage now calm and cool.

She walked deeper into the cave, ignoring Helva’s sharp gaze on her back. 

3