Chapter 21: The Castle
212 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Though the mousy boy known as “Roddie” to you and “Roddiston” to Umeso’s grandmother has always managed to find you without fail, doing the same to him has proven difficult. Over the next few weeks you and your friends have spent most of your free time searching for the kid, but either he doesn’t want to be found or he’s skipped town, because none of you have seen hide nor hair of him.

Progress has been made in other areas, though, even if the whole ‘Umeso’s secret’ issue has stalled out. Training with the Headmistress has been grueling, but certainly not a waste of time. She’s had you go back and forth between training in your combined-with-Ruem form and training by yourself. Because of the latter, you’ve managed to learn a few more buffing spells, such as enhanced strength and enhanced durability. And for use in both forms, you’ve learned things such as ‘attack extending’ magic (punch people from farther away and without your hand actually touching them) and Ruem’s favorite: fireball. It’s cost you both a great deal of pain, but you can’t deny that you feel more ready than ever to take on Imxach and whatever monstrosities he might send your way.

Imxach, or rather the whole situation he’s put Ellemenie in, is another area in which you’ve made progress. Fortunately, the evil man hasn’t tortured Ellemenie anymore, and so she’s been in much better spirits. The two of you have been spending your time together walking through the castle, allowing you to get the lay of the land and to see the other residents of the structure.

There’s not many other people here, as far as you can tell. Most of your time exploring the castle has involved empty hallways, but every now and then you’ll run into someone. The time you saw Imxach coming toward the two of you from down the hall was terrifying, but he just passed Ellemenie by without a look or comment, or really any indication that he’d noticed her at all. Less terrifying (but still a bit terrifying) was when you turned a corner and saw a massive brute of a person leaning against the wall. While your brain recovered from the shock, Ellemenie warmly greeted the person, who chatted genially back. You didn’t catch the name, but their speech pattern was slow and soft-spoken, despite the deep voice. Less immediately startling (but still rather startling) inhabitants of the castle that you’ve happened across are a bug boy that looked alarmingly like a human-sized praying mantis, a snake girl whose thick ribbons of hair seemed to purposefully obscure most of her face, and, of course, that goblin girl you saw before in the dungeon: Eeozi.

Rather than the sharp and lively goblin that you originally met, however, every time you’ve seen Eeozi in the hallways she’s seemed haggard and worn, and not been much for conversation. After the third time you see her this way, you finally ask Ellemenie if she knows anything about it.

She’s been called into meetings with Imxach a lot lately,” Ellemenie says, pity in her voice. “She won’t say what about, but I’m sure you can imagine how draining that must be.” Yeah, Imxach certainly does not seem like the sort that is fun to hang with.

As for getting the lay of the land, the castle corridors are frustratingly mazelike, making it difficult to establish any sort of clear mental map. Mostly you remember the rooms that actually stick out, such as Ellemenie’s room, Imxach’s torture/experimentation room and a great hall type area with long, dilapidated tables that look like they’ve scarcely seen use. But the most notable areas you’ve seen are the castle exit/entrance, and the locked door not far away from it. The day you find those proves to be particularly interesting…

~~~

The only way out of the castle (aside from jumping from the ramparts, a surefire way to die) is indeed blocked by a ‘light shield thing,’ as Ellemenie described. Upon inspection, it is quite clearly some sort of sci-fi tech — a blue transparent shield of light, impossible to pass through, with black mechanical bits on either side that seem to be what’s projecting the shield in the first place. Thick cords protected in hard plastic connect to the whole apparatus and run down the hall and around the corner, and so you follow them, naturally. After winding down a few more twists and turns of the hallway, the cords burrow into a wall right next to a thick metal door that also looks like something from space, rather than something that belongs in a medieval castle. That sense of incongruity is only accentuated by the keypad built into the wall right next to it.

I’ve tried pushing all sorts of numbers on that thing, but nothing ever happens beyond angry beeping,” Ellemenie says, frowning at the pad as though the sounds it produced were specifically made to spite her.

Given you really have nothing to go off of in determining a password, you don’t bother futzing with it. But you assume the door is shielding both whatever generator keeps the shield going, along with whatever other secrets Imxach doesn’t want his underlings to have access to. If you can figure out a way in at some point, you’re sure it’d be worthwhile.

With those discoveries made, you and Ellemenie continue strolling down more hallways, just enjoying your time together, rather than looking for anything or anyone in specific.

Do you think your friends will like me?” Ellemenie says at one point, not meeting your eyes. There’s a hint of trepidation about her as she walks, something you’re not used to seeing from the normally confident girl.

It’s an easy answer. “Of course they will!” you practically shout, waving the arm that isn’t currently touching Ellemenie. “How could they not?? You’re amazing!

A smirk appears on her lips. “Amazing, am I?” Her eyes nearly look onto yours, stopping just short. “How so? What would your friends like about me?

Well… everything, right? What is there not to like? But… specifically…? “Ruem’s going to love those drawings you make,” you say, recalling the pictures sitting on Ellemenie’s desk that she excitedly showed off to you a few days ago. Her art style is very cutesy, lots of bright colors and simple shapes. One of your favorite details is that she’s always using various colors to make the outlines of the people and things that she draws, never simply black outlines. Well aside from the self-portrait, where she did use some black to outline her hair, along with shades of brown for the rest of the piece. “Oh, and Umeso’s going to love how curious you are! They love answering questions.” Ellemenie has asked many a question about you, the world you originally come from, and the world you now inhabit (the parts of it that are outside this castle). She loves the little details, like the pattern you use to brush your teeth, or the way your favorite grocery store was organized, or your imitation of the sound of the bell at the magical school you now attend. Every giggle you receive from her is like a blessing from a deity. “And Kittpey is going to love your style.

You receive one of those heavenly giggles. “My style?

Nodding vigorously, you say, “Yeah!! Like… your clothes are always so cute, you know? White dresses really suit you.

Her smile falters, but doesn’t go away. “Well thank you, but… I don’t really choose these. Imxach just made a bunch of identical dresses for me. They’re all I really have to wear.

Oh… “Well, um, you make them work!” Her faded smile grows brighter. “And it’s not just the clothes! Your hair is always styled so well! All curly and stuff.

It’s naturally like that.

Dammit. “…Well it’s naturally pretty, then!” She giggles again. Despite the feeling that you’ve run headlong into numerous landmines, you also might be on something of a roll. Might as well go with it! “And your face, too!

She cocks an eyebrow. “What about it?

It’s naturally pretty!

This earns you a full-blown laugh. “Wow, okay. And this is all what you think Kittpey will think?

Right. You’d forgotten that was the current context. Hm, is it hot in this castle corridor? You’re feeling really warm all of a sudden. “I—I mean, yeah, I’m sure she will!

Ellemenie leans into you, her beautiful brown face only a few centimeters from your own. “And what do you think about me?

As your face erupts into flames, you sputter incoherently, mind short-circuiting. Before your system can properly reboot, a sound interrupts the two of you. The sound of something or someone falling to the ground. Tearing your eyes away from Ellemenie, you look ahead of you and see a familiar goblin just a little ways away, rapidly closing the gap between you. Her hand juts out to touch Ellemenie, and your brain moves too slow to realize why this is about to be a problem for you. When those big red eyes lock onto you a second later, though, it all becomes quite clear. Ellemenie jerks back, pulling you with her, but Eeozi doesn’t follow, instead choosing to cross her arms and smirk in your general direction.

Hah, bitch, I knew you weren’t just talkin’ ta yourself!” The haggard air the goblin girl has had about her lately is now nowhere to be found.

Taking a small step in front of you, Ellemenie stares Eeozi down, face hard. “Alright, so now what?

So now I’m gonna force you ta tell me what’s goin’ on, like you refused ta before!

Ellemenie’s eyes narrow. “You’re going to force me?

Some of the bluster disappears from Eeozi’s stance, as she starts gesticulating wildly. “I mean— you know, like—” Her arms fall, back bending dramatically and lip jutting out. “Com’on, girl, can’t you tell me??” Her eyes flit over to approximately where you’re standing, not quite meeting your own. “There’s some new person here that can, like, go invisible an’ looks like you, but I ain’t allowed ta meet ‘em? Com’on!!!

Her whining amuses you enough that you already want to give her a chance, but then you glance at Ellemenie’s face, where three slightly-faded scars reside, and remember why you felt wary of this girl to begin with.

You know her better than me,” you say, squeezing Ellemenie’s hand. “Do you trust her?

Not even as far as I can throw her,” Ellemenie says softly. “But I’m also not sure that denying her is a good idea.

Hands on her hips, Eeozi pouts even harder. “Ugh, an’ now you two are gonna whisper right in front’a me? I got big ears, I can hear you, talkin’ ‘bout throwing me or some garbage. Like you can even lift.

Rolling her eyes, Ellemenie says, “Fine, yes, you may meet her.” She extends her other arm and Eeozi gleefully steps forward, grabbing it. Her eyes rake over your form, her mouth forming a small ‘o’ shape.

Wow, she really does look just like you!!

Glancing at Ellemenie, you can’t help but balk at the comparison. “I mean, she’s way prettier than me, but…

Eyebrows raised, Eeozi says, “Uh, I just meant you’re both, like, the same whatever you are. Not goblins, not Idrestians.

Humans,” Ellemenie says with a smile.

Oh cool, you two’ve got a word now.” Focusing back on you, Eeozi smiles wide, baring her sharp teeth. “So girl, like… what’s your deal even?? Where’d you come from and how come you can turn invisible?

Glancing at Ellemenie, you sign “Should I?” At virtually the same time, Ellemenie grimaces and Eeozi scoffs.

Really, you’re gonna try an’ sign in front’a me?” Looking down her nose at you, she says, “Who exactly do you think Ellemenie learned ta sign for, huh?

Nodding, Ellemenie says, “I learned it because it was interesting… but also so Eeozi and I could talk behind Imxach’s back.

Not that he ever talks ta us at the same time anymore. Mostly he’s been talkin’ my ear off,” Eeozi says, an overt note of bitterness in her tone. Focusing back on you, she shouts, “Anyway, girl, talk!

Well, um… my name is Biat. And I’m…” Should you be truthful? Ellemenie literally said she doesn’t trust this girl. So maybe you should lie? If she really wanted to, Ellemenie could just correct you. But then what would you say? …Imxach created everyone in this castle, apparently, so… “Imxach made me, but… then he just kind of dumped me on Ellemenie. So I’ve been hanging out with her.

Eyes flitting between the two of us, Eeozi says, “And so, like… you’re invisible, but touchin’ Ellemenie makes you visible? That work for anyone?

You shake your head, noting that Ellemenie has yet to say anything. This seems like a sign that you should continue lying. “No, just her and Imxach, I think. Something about bonding and frequencies? I didn’t understand.

Hah! Who can understand half’a what that guy says?” Eeozi says, guffawing. Gripping your arm, she waggles her eyebrows at the both of you. “So… are you two…?

The heat in your cheeks and the deer-in-headlights look on your face is all the answer Eeozi seems to need as she resumes guffawing. Ellemenie, meanwhile, looks miffed. Oh shit, you should’ve denied that, right? She’s annoyed with you now, isn’t she. Like it’s not true, so you obviously should have—

We are. What’s so funny about it?

It takes a great deal of willpower not to crumble on the spot. Eeozi laughs louder.

Her, mostly!” the goblin girl says, pulling her hand away so she can point a clawed finger at your heated face. “Ain’t she a peach? But also, like… you’re the queen’a the castle! Everyone thought you were too good ta get down an’ dirty wit’ someone. And yet!

The irritation on Ellemenie’s face only intensifies. “I am NOT the queen of the castle, and what I do or do not do in the bedroom is none of your business!” But… but you haven’t done anything!! Just, like, snuggled… Does she… does she want to do more?? Oh no, you’re reading way too much into that, surely she just means her private business is her own. She snuggled you because she needed comfort after being traumatized, it was nothing more than that, Biat!!

Eeozi rolls her eyes. “Bitch, Imxach made you a bunch’a dresses when the rest’a us got rags, an’ he gave you the biggest bedroom in the castle all ta yourself. Not ta mention he barely laid a finger on you before the whole ‘betraying him’ thing! You know if it’d been me I’d be dead, right??” Ellemenie’s mouth is a thin line that offers no response. “Psh, fine, yeah, we don’t hafta get into it again today. But also…” Her eyes rest on your again, her smirk wide. “Nice, girl. Get it.

It feels as though you have spontaneously combusted. Did Ellemenie look directly at you, are you fading away?? No… no you’re still here. Despite how on fire you currently feel, you persist.

Crossing her arms, Ellemenie says, “Look, Eeozi, are you done harassing me now? Can we be on our way? You can keep spying on us from the rafters if that’s how you want to spend your time, but I’m ready to go.

Yeah, yeah, sure,” Eeozi says, waving a hand. “Just one thing before you go, though.” Her grip on Ellemenie tightens for a moment, her expression turning deadly serious. “Be careful, Elle. If he makes moves again, an’ you try ta stop ‘em?” Eeozi’s eyes shift over to you for a moment before returning to Ellemenie. “He might not kill you… but who else might he off, just ta keep you in line?

A simple glance makes it clear that these words hit Ellemenie hard. Her eyes drop to the ground, flitting back and forth as her mind no doubt whirrs. But… why? It’s not like you’re actually from the castle, so what can Imxach do to you, really? You certainly don’t want him to hurt her anymore, but that doesn’t seem to be what’s worrying her… Is there someone else? Her eyes briefly flit to Eeozi, then back to the ground. Oh. Maybe that’s it. You don’t know the full history between these two, but they’ve clearly known each other longer than you’ve known either of them. Even if their relationship is a bit antagonistic, there’s still some amount of care in it. Why else would Eeozi warn her in the first place?

Pulling away, Eeozi puts her usual grin back on and turns, waving at the both of you. “Alright, see you girlies later! Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” She laughs at her own joke, the laughter fading long after she’s out of visible range.

There’s nothing she wouldn’t do,” Ellemenie mutters, not looking at you. “And there’s also nothing he wouldn’t do.

You hope you’ll never have to see either of them prove that.

 

 

Hi, everyone, thank you for reading!! If you'd like to read more and to support me as a writer, please consider joining my Patreon! There you'll be able to read at least a chapter ahead, sometimes more, and you'll get to read first drafts as soon as they're done! The next chapter is already available, so click that link if you don't want to wait a week for it!

I really, really want to make a living off my creative works someday, but I struggle with things like self-promotion and writing consistently. I've been struggling with both lately, but I'm particularly awful at the former, so please, tell you friends about this story and please consider that Patreon, I would really appreciate it! Every bit of support I get motivates me to keep things going and to move that much closer toward my dream. Thank you so much!!

20