Chapter 38
371 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Myrd, a remote town near the north border.

Recently, a new dungeon was found nearby making this place popular all of sudden. It used to be a small town in the middle of nowhere without anything noteworthy.

Myrd was surrounded by forest. The citizens of Myrd usually went to the forest to gather foods or to hunt animals.

A few weeks ago, there was a huge mana storm. It ruined a small part of the forest and even destroyed the terrains.

Mana storm was something rarely happened. It happened when the mana in the air suddenly  became chaotic and unstable.

The sudden burst of mana would condense into droplets and started raining. It is dangerous to try to use mana when mana storm happens.  Even a high-level magician wouldn't try to use mana within a mana storm because 99.99% an explosion would occur leading to their death.

It usually happened when a powerful being like dragon or mythical beast meet their natural death.

When a dragon or myhical beast were killed, the huge amount of mana would stay inside their body. It would be keep in their magic core, heart, bones, blood etc.

Their entire body is a treasure trove. This is why hunting dragon or mythical beast is a lucrative job.

On the other hand, when they met their natural death, the huge mana would be released outside along with their life forxe. Their body would turn into light particles and dispersed.

They were born from nature and came back to nature. The only way to get their materials was to kill them. Because of this reasons, their materials were highly sought at a high price.

After the mana storm, the forest became much more dangerous to explore. The animals and plants inside the forest were slowly turning into monsters.

The mayor went to adventurer guild and asked them to exterminate the monsters because the people couldn't go to the forest to gather foods.

By coincidence, a B-rank adventurer happened to be around. He went to exterminate the monsters along with some C-rank adventurers.

The monsters were weak, but their numbers were quite a lot. They found a sealed cave by chance when they were looking for a place to rest. After they entered, they realized it was a dungeon. 

They decided to explore it and looked for treasures. However, the monsters inside the dungeon were strong. Soon, things went awry as the B-rank adventurer was killed not too far from the entrance. The surviving adventurers went back to report it to the guild.

The guild decided to send an expedition party because it might be an unexplored dungeon.

The expedition party were lead by 3 A-rank adventurers along with 12 B-rank adventurers because the report says the monsters near the entrance were strong enough to kill B-rank adventurer.

Usually an expedition into unexplored dungeon would take weeks and even months depending on the size and difficulty.

It wasn't weird for the expedition party to not have any news once they entered a dungeon. However, after 3 weeks passed, a hunter found 3 adventurers were dying inside the forest.

One of them had wound on his stomach as if it was pierced by something like a claw and other two lost their limbs. One was missing his right hand and other one was missing his left leg. They were lucky because their bleeding were stopped by healing potions. Otherwise, they would met their death with such grave wounds.

The hunter quickly ran back into the town to bring help. They were barely saved. The A-rank adventurer could still be an adventurer after he recover. However, the other two were not as lucky as their life as adventurers ended the moment they lost a limb.

After hearing the report, the guild finally contacted the royal family and told them about the dungeon.

A dungeon that could almost wipe out a party of 3 A-rank and 12 B-rank adventurers was not something they could keep.

There was an unwritten rule when a new dungeon was found. The adventurers could explore it for 3 months before making a report to the royal family. However, if a dangerous dungeon was found they have to report it as soon as possible.

It was not only for the resources, but also for safety measure. It would be a big trouble if a dungeon break happen. As for why the army was not the one who explore it first, it was because training soldiers cost money and time. It would be a huge loss if they died for the sake of gathering informations about the dungeon.

Adventurers were professionals when it comes to dungeon exploration. They were excluded from politics, so even if they died the kingdom's strength won't decline.

Adventurers and mercenaries were the same. They could be hired to exterminate monsters or do other things. However, in case a war breaks out they don't have obligation to defense the kingdom. Most of the time, they would join the side that pay more or just be the spectators. Those who have loyalty to the kingdom were in the minority.

Of course, the kingdom would do it's best to invite S-rank adventurers or outstanding mercenaries to join their side. Be it status, wealth, or women, they would tried their best to put them into their rank.

∆ ∆ ∆

Outside the town, a group of people wearing silver plate armor were lined up in orderly manners. There was a long sword sheated on their waists. Some of them have a shield on their left hand.

There were 32 people in total.

A young looking girl with blue hair were standing in front of them with a greataxe on her back. Ash Scarlet was standing behind her like a follower.

"Vice-Commander, it's about time to depart"

Ash said to the woman.

"Very well"

The girl nodded.

"Before we leave, I have a few things to say. First, don't block my way. Second, come back alive. I will kill those who disobey these rules. I will kill you even if you turn into a corpse"

"Yes, Ma'am!"

The knights answered in unity.

"Well, that's all. Ash, I'm leaving their commands under you"

"Understood!"

With that being said, they marched into the forest led by the girl.

Agatha Le Fay, the vice-commander of the royal knight. She came from the house of Le Fay. A noble house famous for it's magician lineage.

She was groomed to be a great magician since she was young. However, she doesn't like magic because they were complicated. She singlemindedly aimed to be a warrior because it was much simpler.

Her family was against her decision. She ran away when she was 13 and started being an adventurer. Her family ignored her as they thought she would come back after experiencing hardships.

After 2 years of wandering alone as an adventurer, she began her life as a mercenary. She made a name for herself in the battlefield as a newcomer in the civil wars 20 years ago.

She was invited by both sides. In the end, she joined hands with Reinhardt because Le Fay and Elsword were once allies.

She used her enermous mana pool to enchant both her body and weapon to it's limit. Her fighting style was known to be brutal to both enemies and herself. However, relying on her huge mana pool, she could sustain damage with healing magic.

In the battlefield, she was known as the 「Berserker」. After the civil war ended, she joined the royal knight. Seeing her success, her family shut their mouth and gives their support.  

Three years later, she was appointed as the vice-commander after the former one died on a mission and became the youngest vice-commander in Laurasia Kingdom's history at the age of 21.

She was expected to became the commander before 25, exceeding Reinhardt record as the youngest commander, but she wasn't interested with status and had no intention competing for the seat. Especially after she saw Reinhardt dealing with all kind of documents every single day.

17 years had passed since the war ended and the kingdom became peaceful. At most, she could only hunt some bandits or monsters to ease her boredeom.

Now, she finally get the chance to hunt down a powerful one which makes her excited.

They didn't met with any monster along the way, because the adventurers along the town guards had been exterminating them on regular basis after the dungeoun was found.

Soon, they reached the destination. In front of the dungeon entrance, there were 2 guards standby. The guards saluted the moment they saw the group.

"How is the situation?"

Agatha asked.

"Nothing particular. We have been watching this place after it was found, but not a single monster ever came out"

One of the guard answered.

"Have you check the surrounding?"

"We have been searching through for 10km but no other entrance was found"

"Understood. We will take over this place. You may came back to rest"

"Yes, ma'am!"

As soon as the two guards soon left the place, they entered inside.

The interior was like a regular spacious cave. However, the air felt cold. Not because of the temperature, but as if something was disturbing their mental and the mana was denser compared to the outside.

"Did you felt it?"

Agatha turned her head and asked.

"Slightly"

Ash answered with a grim look. On the other hand, the other knights shook their head.

"Seems like they aren't sensitive enough. No, should I say they are lacking in experiences. The kingdom has been too peaceful that the royal knight that was supposed to protect the royal family is deteriorating"

Agatha shook her head with a regretful look.

"On the other hand, you're quite capable. If a war break out, I'm sure you will survive somehow or even made a name for yourself while the rest of you will meet your death. Maybe 1 or 2 might survive by luck"

She continued.

"Thank you for your praise, vice-commander. However, I believe this isn't time to lower our moral"

Ash answered.

"No. This is the right time. I don't want to carry a bunch of corpses back with me"

Agatha shook her head.

"Listen up! The enemy is much stronger than estimated. The only people who could sense it's presence were me and Ash. The rest of you failed to sense the danger of this dungeon, meaning you're weak! I don't want weaklings to get in my way. So I will give you the chance to step back. Those who wants to live may leave and go back to the town"

The group went silent as soon as she finished her words.

And thenー

Clank!

Sharp sound resounded loudly as thy drew their swords, followed by a thud sound as some of them hit their shield, spear and axe to the ground.

"RUNNING AWAY FROM DANGER AND LEAVING A WOMAN BEHIND IS A SHAME FOR GENTLEMEN!"

They answered in union with a loud voice. Their eyes were filled with determination and even excitement and mana were leaking from their bodies.

"Hoho. I like how you look. But, don't you know? Making such a loud sound inside a dungeoun will make monsters came after you? Especially letting your mana out just like that is like an invitation"

Agatha said with amusing look.

ROAARRRRR!!

Sure enough. Monsters began to approach them in great numbers.

Lizardmen, goblin, lamia, kobold, orc, hobgoblin and gnoll.

Various monsters appeared.

"Look at what you've done! I'm sure you gentlemen will protect a woman like me, right?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Good! Then kill them and show me what you've got!"

"GLORY TO THE GENTLEMEN! 

They charged ahead as soon as they received her order.

Next to her, Ash unsheated his sword.

"What are you doing?"

"Following them of course"

"No. You stay with me here and observe the situation"

"I'm afraid I have to disobey your command, vice-commander. I'm also a gentleman after all"

Ash shook his head.

"GLORY TO THE GENTLEMEN!"

He charged ahead in a blink of an eye and left Agatha behind.

She was dumbfounded by their eccentric behaviour.

"Interesting"

Agatha murmurred.

"However, what kind of gentlemen leaving a weak woman behind inside a dungeon? are they idiots?"

She looked at them with pitiful eyes.

Note : Sorry for the late update. College started so I'm busy with my paper and thesis as well. Also part-time since college fee is so damn expensive. I'm trying to fix my schedule to normal both in writing this novel also IRL. Hopefully it work out somehow.

13