Chapter 014
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Groot hasn't taken a liking to anyone, not since....." Nikki trailed off. "Anyway, he likes you. Jason Elessar right?"

"Yeah," Jason replied, not paying attention to her, he was more interested in the little wooden figure pulling at his T-Shirt sleeve, as he dangled his feet off Jason's shoulders.

"I have never really seen you at the compound before," Nikki said, grabbing his attention, and Jason could recognize the question behind it.

"Oh, I came here with May, Spider-Girl," Jason replied, as he took a seat beside her in the shade of the sun. The sweaty T-Shirt clung to him, a little and the cool wind from over the river that flowed under the tree would help him dry off for a while, before he could head back in to shower. "I haven't been here before."

"Oh, you're what? Her son?" She asked.

"No, not her son. I guess you could say her brother. I am technically a genetic clone of her father stabilized using a female mutant's genes. It's weird." He replied, scratching the back of his head.

"The number of weird people I have met over the years surprises me. You're rather mild in comparison." Nikki tried to reassure him. "Are you going to attend the conference today?"

That surprised Jason and he said, "I don't think I was invited, are you?"

"Oh, yeah. I will be representing the Xandarian refugees, today. It's not much of a dignitary meeting, it's more of a war council. And seeing as you can fight, or have abilities of your own, they'll probably not bar you from attending." She said, and then she looked fondly at Groot on his shoulder. "Plus, Groot likes you. You're his first friend, since… well, since me. If you're worried about being permitted, just stick by me. I'll get you in."

Nikki's only reason for helping Jason was Groot. The little fellow hadn't interacted with anybody except her, since the Guardians sacrificed themselves alongside the Nova corps so that the rest of the refugees could escape to Earth. Groot had witnessed his father's death, and his first conscious memory was the forceful and traumatic severance of the connections that Flora Colossus saplings have with their parent tree. All Flora Colossi cherish that connection, and to sever the bond forcefully is one of the most horrible feelings they ever experience.

Groot's socializing with Jason was a good step for him to heal, and she did not want to bereave him of it.

"Thank you, Nikki," Jason replied, he no longer had to worry about sneaking around to eavesdrop on the meeting. While he would have managed, if he had really wanted to, this worked in his favor. "I should go and take a shower."

"Okay, I'll see you in the lobby this afternoon then." She replied, and extended her arm for Groot to take. The little fellow reluctantly latched on to the arm, as he realized his new friend needed to leave. He hoped that he would meet him in the future.

"I am Groot." He waved sadly, as he watched his friend take his leave and walk back to the mansion.

*******

After taking a cold shower, Jason stayed in his room, spending a lot of time just reading what few books that had been left for his leisure. He was especially enthralled yet again by the Lord of the rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. And that also established that the pop culture and art of this world were not so different from the ones in his previous life.

The only major difference was in the comic books, there was no Marvel comics. But that was understandable, though he did find a neat little nugget of information when he looked that up, the company that produced toys, and merchandise about the Avengers, was called Marvel.

It was only around early afternoon, that he prepared to head to the lobby and find Nikki and Groot. Dressing as good as he could with what he had in the cupboard of the room he had been assigned, he left for the lobby.

He found her waiting for him in the Lobby, just as she had promised. She was now wearing a bright yellow and blue leather uniform, with an orange falling star emblazoned as a logo on the crest. Her fiery red hair was tied down under a tiara, and Groot was perched on her shoulder.

Beside her were similarly dressed soldiers, but they seemed to be unarmed. She was in a conversation with them, and did not see him approaching. It was the cute little fellow on Nikki's shoulder that spotted him first. As soon as he had seen him, Groot immediately brightened. He had been terribly disappointed when Jason had left, and wanted to spend more time around his new friend. There was something about him, that felt right to the little flora colossus. He started waving excitably, as he stood on Nikki's shoulder.

The movement caught Nikki's attention as well, and she turned to Jason as well, and a small smile bloomed on her face.

"Hello, Groot! Did you miss me?" Jason said as he approached the pair.

"I am Groot!" Groot nodded excitedly and leaped onto his shoulder when he stretched out of his arm. Jason chuckled at the little guy, as he watched him crawl along his arm to his shoulder. Evidently, He liked his shoulder better than Nikki's.

"Hello, Jason. Are you ready for the conference?" Nikki asked him. Her amusement was clear in her tone, as she watched Groot settle into a comfortable position on his shoulder.

"Yeah, I am. I hope I won't be intruding though." He said and scratched the back of his head.

"Don't worry. Just stick by my side, and no one will question your presence." She reassured him. "Well, follow me if you're ready then."

Jason nodded and followed in step with her. Her soldiers flanked their sides as a protective guard.

She led him into one of the upper floors of the mansion, using the stairs. On the west end of the mansion, toward the end was a large round room, with a dais in the center. The amphitheater-styled room had enough space to seat at least a hundred people.

Jason spotted May, standing in the center, alongside Riri Williams. Her father, Peter Parker, was seated nearest to her with another old man, that Jason did not recognize. The two seemed to have known each other for a while. There were a few holograms that occupied quite a few spaces, with flags of various countries to signify their designation.

Nikki led him to one of the central chairs designated for them, as the flag by her seat was marked by the logo on her crest. Jason took his seat beside Nikki. Behind both of them was another alien designation, a queen by Jason's guess. She had striped golden black tentacles for hair, and slits for nostrils. Her skin was yellow, but she looked as Regal as only a queen could. Yet, sorrow was evident in her, for sadness and fierce determination shone brightly through her eyes. Beside her was an old man, bulky yet strong in build. He was looking sternly at the council that had gathered around in the chamber.

Jason's attention was then stolen away, as the doors through which his and Nikki's group had entered, were opened yet again, and a singular tall man, in a white and green fur coat walked into the room. His entrance had quietened much of the chatter in the room. Though he did not say anything and assumed the seat that was designated for him.

'Dr. Doom.' Jason deduced from the menacing metallic mask that he was sporting. 'Diplomatic representation? Is it truly him? Or has he sent a doom bot?'

Slowly the entire chamber was filled as people and delegates from a lot of countries and groups walked in the chamber. Jason and Nikki drowned out the chatter, as they engaged in idle chatter, with Groot.

Jason found that she was the leader of the refugee group from Xandar and the Nova Corps. The Guardians of the Galaxy alongside many heroes had died across the universe in the onslaught of Galactus the Devourer. And the grim picture of death became all the more clear to Jason.

Finally, just before the conference was to begin, and the council was to convene, a fiery golden ring slowly formed in the center of the chamber. It slowly expanded, to the size where it could easily fit a single person.

'Dr. Strange?' Jason thought internally.

The portal opened, and out walked a tall woman with flowing black hair and a red cape around her shoulder. The sling ring on her hand was shining with eldritch energy.

"Ah, Emily Bright. The sorcerer supreme. I was worried that Kamar Taj would not be joining us." May said as she shook hands with the woman. "Please, find your seat and we will begin discussions."

-

Vote please!

2