Chapter 112
1.9k 4 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 112

I spent Saturday night and all day Sunday at the cabin.  Most of my time was focused on training with Lezerath and Nashima.  I also made an effort to collect life essence from Iris, Abigail, and Artica.  My stamina knew no bounds, but I still spaced out my encounters.  Artica was Saturday overnight, Abigail after lunch, and Iris in the evening before going home Sunday night.  Bedelia had actually set up a schedule for everyone.  She scheduled herself for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings. 

Mary was having trouble with her parents.  The rumors of me being the school slut had reached their ears, and they, being good Christians, did not want their daughter associated with me.  I knew her uncle was the chief of police, so I thought it best if she kept her distance for a time. 

Monday morning, after hockey practice, I arrived at school with my large bag of books.  The first thing I did was order roses to be delivered to everyone.  Now, my advice was never to wait until Valentine’s Day to order roses.  Not only are you paying a premium, but getting them delivered is a mess.  I paid $100 for each dozen roses even though I was sending all of them to the same place!  At least everyone would be happy.  I sent some red roses to Maya and white roses to my sister at college.  Then I thought more and sent red roses to Ashley, Chloe, Lena, and Frost.  So much money for flowers!

As I finished supporting the local florists, I was curious if Hazel was going to come for tutoring.  I could not care either way.  I started to scan a leather-bound book titled, The Ecology of Doppelganger, A Guide to Exposing the Species Hiding in Plain Sight.  I was not reading the text, which appeared to be mostly in Old English.  There were some detailed drawings of the creature’s dissection.  I paused as they had two hearts, two stomachs, and four lungs.  A quick focus read revealed those organs in all their shapeshifted forms.  The most interesting tidbit I found in the text was their body parts were highly sought after in artificing concealment charms, so much so they were in danger of extinction on Earth. 

Hazel was standing over me, looking uneasy, “I am sorry, Caleb.  It is all my fault like you said on the phone.”  She steadied herself, “I do like you.  More than Edward.  I told him so, and I know you are open to dating more than one woman.”

“No.  I am not interested,” I said strongly.  “You are nice, Hazel, but not loyal, and I think you stirred this all up intentionally.  I will continue tutoring you if you wish, but I will not date you.”  My delivery was clear and loud enough for the dozen or so others in the library study hall to hear me.

Hazel’s face twisted into a dozen emotions and settled on angry.  I waited for her until she softened, huffed, and sat down to be tutored.  I had hoped she would just end the tutoring, but she had other plans.  She focused on math and left when the second period started.  Hopefully, that was the end of the drama.

This week, my exam was chemistry.  It was just one 400-page textbook, and fifteen minutes later, it was added to my mind space.  Lunch was interesting as the football players stared me down the entire lunch, and it was announced over the PA that our hockey game Wednesday night was senior night.  It was our last hockey game before the playoffs, and it did not matter if we won or lost.  We were slotted in to host the division playoff game against a team we had already beaten twice this year.  After school, we practiced with Lezerath, and she tested my mind defenses for the first time.

It was just a blanket attack and not an attempt to control my mind space.  Nashima led the defense, and Lezerath was surprised when I stonewalled her.  “Caleb, that was unexpected.  You didn’t even flinch.  Even an experienced mage would have at least reacted.  I think we can proceed to a mindscape battle in a few days.” 

Jade and Artica did not fare well from Lezerath’s assault.  Artica was stunned into unconsciousness, and Jade was left disoriented and unable to speak for a good five minutes.   Lezerath said, “That was a start for you two.  We will try again in a few days.  Once you establish your mind space, your defenses will greatly improve.  Keep working on it,” she encouraged them.

Bedelia had established her mind space and managed to fend off the psionic attack from Lezerath.  It had just dazed her slightly.  She still had not created her first construct yet.  The only thing she had managed to do was add books to her mind space, but it was a very slow process for her, taking a whole day for just one book.

Abigail asked to be tested as well since she had established her mind space as well a few weeks ago.  Lezerath agreed, and Abigail brushed off the attack without even a flinch.  Lezerath mumbled, “Well, girl, let’s try the full force this time.”  Abigail winced and was light-headed for a few moments.  Lezerath was surprised, “A natural this one.  Abigail, see me, and we can work on getting you a construct.”

Abigail was ecstatic with her success.  There was some jealousy, but it just pushed Jade and Artica to work harder.  Bedelia was not as jealous and more than happy for Abigail.  She knew Abigail was hoping to become Medicus Magicae, and this mental control was a big step toward it. 

I spent time in Bedalia’s room Monday night.  Much longer than I had planned, as it was February 14th, Valentine’s Day.  She didn’t take no for an answer.  She forced herself on me—not that I did much resisting.  I would say Bedelia was still growing on me. 

Tuesday was much of the same except for the evening I spent with Artica.  Artica was getting lively with our encounters.  She preferred to wrestle for dominance on the bed and then continue in the shower.  She was looking forward to the weather getting warm enough to use the pool and hot tub.  She was already working on getting the hot tub ready.  We were holding off using it because we were focused on preparing for the aboleth.

I went with Abigail for a run on Wednesday morning, and we went to my favorite rocky ravine, where I learned to fly.  “Abs, do you want to see me fly?” 

She looked up and scanned the skies.  “Yes!  Show me your wings!”  I transformed as I showed Abigail my flying skills.  I tried to impress, weaving between the trees at my best speed while Abigail clapped and cheered me on.  I got a little high trying to do flips and barrel rolls.  I noticed two hikers through the trees.  The leaves just started to come out, so I do not think they got sight line on me.  I dove back to the ground and dressed, laughing the entire time with Abigail at the silliness of it.  The hikers were over half a mile away, so we were okay as we returned to my car. 

In the car, I turned to Abigail, “You showed me where you mourned the loss of your father.  The rocky chasm is where I first learned how to fly and experienced joy.  I am glad I could share it with you.”  I don’t know if I was being romantic or not, but it definitely felt like we got a little closer today. 

Wednesday at school I was called to the office.  Apparently, the video from Saturday had made it to the principal.  I was made to watch it with him and Ms. Henderson.  I did look pretty badass as I ducked and moved among the football players trying to hit me.  It was not bad news as the football players were all in the next room and were made to apologize to me.  I accepted it graciously.  Then, I spent an hour talking with Ms. Henderson and a school counselor. 

They already knew the root of the problem had been Hazel and me tutoring her.  I could tell by how everything was going down that the school was trying to cover their bases to avoid a lawsuit.  I was on school grounds while waiting at the hockey rink and was clearly attacked by a mob of students.  I assured them that I would not press charges and that I did not want the players who attacked me punished beyond maybe missing a game or two.  Football season was over, but most of them were seniors who played another sport, like baseball, in the spring. 

Ms. Henderson thanked me for being understanding.  She offered to remove Hazel from tutoring even though I was positively affecting her.  I told her to leave it up to Hazel.  I was not vested either way, and I actually liked bringing Lezerath’s teaching methods to bear on Hazel.

The season’s final hockey game had the rink packed.  I had all my fans there and a large cheering section.  We did not skate well to start the game and were down 2-1 after the first period.  A little motivational speech by James at half-time, one of four seniors left on the team, and we came out strong.  The final score was 6-3.  I went home to celebrate with my parents and invited Iris.

The dinner had my mother asking Iris a thousand questions.  Iris, for her part, was very patient and answered them all, except when my mother asked if she could call Iris’mother for a girl’s night with Amelia.  Iris kept it together fairly well, and she excused herself to go home and study shortly after. 

Thursday after lunch, I was in the library with nothing to do, so I was adding a number of Stephen King books from the shelves to my mind space.  I suddenly felt something similar to a brain freeze, a mental backlash.  I immediately knew what it was.  Andromeda had entered my mind space, and Nashima had reflexively defended it.  I moved into my mind.

Nashima and Andromeda were in the core room staring at each other, the pedestal between them.  Andromeda spoke first without breaking eye contact, “This feathered serpent would not have been my first choice to guard my mind.  But she is effective.”  She slowly turned to me.

“I apologize.  Did she attack you?”  I felt my heart in the real world accelerate.  I didn’t know if something bad was about to happen, but it definitely could.

Andromeda smiled, a little too friendly, “No.  She just asked me to wait here for you to arrive.  I hope the welcome is more friendly next time I drop in.  How is your first?  Where is Pandora?”

Pandora came slinking out of the bedroom corridor.  She looked to be on her best behavior, obviously not wanting to be re-educated in Andromeda’s mind space.  Calypso walked out behind her.  Andromeda’s eyebrows shot up, and she walked to Calypso.  “Now this is even more interesting than the couatl.”  She pressed her finger into the water elemental’s face.  It sunk in, “Fascinating.  You are either bold, foolish, or brilliant.” She spun to see Lilith and Casper coming from the library.  “Any more surprises?”

“No, this is all the gang.  I was rushing things a bit to prepare for a fight with an aboleth,” I explained.

Her eyes looked on me, “Do not be a fool!  Do not approach an aboleth!”

“We have a small army.  Six teams of tier-two fighters in a coordinated attack,” I explained quickly.  “Some tier three.” 

Andromeda shook her head, “I order you,” she paused.  “No, I will not order you.  I strongly advise you not to pursue this.  If the abomination gets too strong, just flee the planet.  If I was closer, I would come to take care of it.  I am not, as I am orbiting the plant Mercanious on the 17th layer.”

My attention snapped to her.  Andromeda smiled at catching my interest, “I have not found out anything just yet.   The angelics control the planet on the 17th layer and all the way down the 23rd.  Of course, my fleet is much larger than the fleet defending the system.  I am negotiating right now for access to the lower transit.”

“I thought the demons and angelics were in a continuous war?”  I said, confused.

“Oh, we are.  But the planet has nothing of value on the 17th layer, and I just am curious about the details of someone trying to cut the planets off from the source,” Andromeda said casually while inspecting Casper, who was lying down submissively, belly exposed.

“So, are you going to search for Iris’ parents?”  I asked hopefully. 

“I will let you know what I find.  I was just stopping in to let you know I had reached the planet and to check up on you,” She looked at Nashima and Calypso in turn, “But it seems you are doing alright for yourself.  Suppose I may make a suggestion.  If this is the route, you are going…” She waved her hands at my constructs, “And an angelic to your mind scape menagerie.  I would suggest a deva.  It would give you a strong defense against those that seek to take advantage of your demonic nature.”

“That is why I am here, demon.  And the boy has no reference to creating such being accurately.  It would be little more than appearing as a deva,”  Nashima stepped in.

Andromeda appraised the couatl in her humanoid form.  She talked to Nashima, “I have the bones of a deva in my collection.  They are ancient, and I can assure you the being is perished.”

“Do deva’s have genetic memory?” I asked, trying to enter the conversation. 

Nashima answered, “No, they do not.  But if this deva was still alive, it could easily leverage the construct in your mind space to subdue you.”

Andromeda was not upset as she turned to me.  “She is most definitely dead.  She was my sister and perished defending the Walls of Anephison.  She was left to die by the High Celestial Solar who ruled the city.”  Andromeda’s aura of hate and anger flooded my mind, and the lighting dimmed.  Nashima looked at me, asking if she should fight back.  I shook my head no, and slowly Andromeda regained herself. 

“I can not transfer a bone through the mind space.  So you will have to come to me if you want it.  I will be on the planet Mercanious for the foreseeable future while I travel down the layers--searching,” I could tell she was done with her visit.

“Can I ask a question?  Did you see some type of potential in me?  Why did you choose me and make me into what I am?”  I asked without waiting for a response.

“Potential?  You will need to answer that question yourself.  Get your abyssal sight up to tier four.  The answer you seek will be before your eyes,” she smiled with understanding and vanished.  

Lilith finally said, “What a bad house guest.  I have not found any references to devas in my reading.”

Nashima looked thoughtful before speaking, “They are servants of the most powerful angelics in all the planes.  They travel freely to do the bidding of their angelic lords.  They are powerful warriors as well.”  Nashima wandered around the pedestal room, “So your succubus lord is a corrupted deva?”

“I guess.  I had clues she was an angelic before becoming a demon.  What do you think of her offer of the deva bones?”  I sat down on a chair.  The invitation to meet Andromeda was odd.  I would have to travel to Mercanious and then up the layers to find her.  Like a lost puppy dog trying to find its way home.

Nashima shook her head, “Deva’s completely evaporate to the aether when they die, Caleb.  No bones are left.  Her claim that she has her sister’s bones…  I do not know what to make of it.  Maybe she had her soul ripped and obliterated before the dissipation of her corporeal body.  My ancestral memories do not have the answers you seek.”

“Thank you for being honest with me.  How powerful could a deva construct be in my mind space?”  I asked curiously.  I had no motivation to run across the galaxy to get a bone from my master.  Was the planet Mercanious even in the Milky Way Galaxy?

“Extremely.  It would take half a dozen of my race to subdue one deva.  They are shapechangers, healers,  and channel massive radiant damage into their attacks.  They can even bring the recently killed back to life.”  She thought for a moment, “I do not know if your mind space could create such a being.”  I knew Nashima was referring to the amount of creation energy my mind space had.  It was still replenishing after creating the greater water elemental, Calypso. 

“Well, at least we may get some answers about Iris’ parents.  I actually think Andromeda will help them if she finds them.  I never got the sense from her that she was malicious,” I said out loud, and all my constructs in my mind space returned dubious looks.  I shrugged, “Being selfish is not being malicious,” I tried my reasoning to the crowd. 

Lilith responded, “You are shortsighted, Caleb.  She bound you and milks you for life essence like a cow.  She continues to aid you so you keep producing.  She would have never bound you to her if she truly was a good person.”  And that was what my subconscious thought was the truth. 

I did not respond and left my mind space.  I was in the library and stumbled onto the shelves my body started to fall because I had been in my mind space for so long.  It was the last period, and Carrie jumped up to help me.  The shy artist asked, “Are you all right, Caleb?”  Her hand was on my ass, and realizing it snapped back to herself and blushed.

I looked over at the plain-looking girl.  She was curvy and had dark brown hair.  It used to be stringy, but everyone had been helping her out.  It was now much silkier and flowing.  Her dark brown eyes also had a depth to them, but her nose was slightly too large for her face, and her lips too small.  She did have the power of foresight, and she could see the future, just not very effectively with her small aether core.  That is what I needed in my circle, though.  I needed to know my options and see my mistakes before they happened.

“Thanks for the help, Carrie.  I am okay, just tripped on my own feet.  You are probably the quietest person in the house.  Most of the time, I do not even realize you are there.  Has Bedelia approached you about…about enhancing your ability to use your powers?”

 

 

 

50