Chapter 9 – Today is meant for another day, and another adventure.
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I’ve done my schooling together with Hana, no meeting but I wonder what happen yesterday, suddenly Mariam called me for two time and how the hell she finds out my email? Don’t tell me, Natalie accidentally spill her. Oh shit!! How am I suppose to face her? Maybe? Nah I ain’t going to do that! I have find ways before she is doing something really stupid. Tomorrow is my weekend with Zuan. Can’t wait for the jungle tracking. Now is morning, brought Hana out for exercise outside of the house and prepare ourself to school. Dad did not look at me, seems he is still scared of me. I’m cool with it, I don’t really care about it. Mom sent us to school. We entered class. I could see Mar face really different than before. 😇  she is really wanted to find out something. I tried to ignore her, she keeps bugging me, Amin wondered and ask me.

“Hey, what happen, why Mariam really aiming at you?” 

“Don’t know, you could ask her?” 

“Hey honey, what happen?”

“Change of plans….lets talk after this…” 

“Huh!?”

😮 huh!? What!? What the hell!? 

“Mar? What are you talking about?” 

“You’ll see….”😋

I really hope that she not doing anything stupid. I met Hazlan and offer him to join me in the jungle tracking to find hidden places this weekend, he agreed. When Hazlan sit in his table, Mariam suddenly ask him something. I wonder what she is asking. She is smiling, at me? Amin is also smiling. Now I’m really curious. Then Mr Rahim enter the class. As usual he shouting like a pirate captain. I could imagine that he is like that. 

“All your buggers, get to your seats!! Amin!!” 

“Yes captain!!” 

“Its TEACHER RAHIM, DO I LOOK LIKE A CAPTAIN TO YOU!!?” 

“Aye Teacher Rahim!!” Mr Rahim held his head. 

“Even though we Buccaneers that’s not mean we like one…huh….”

“Alright let us let begin with history of man and the relationship with the stone age!!” 

“AYE TEACHER!!” Everyone 

“OII!!! Cut it OUT!!! LET US BEGIN YOU BUNCH OF BUGGERS!!” Everyone laugh

After school, seems Melissa have not yet find a date for the meeting. Good because I want to join Zuan and his friends in the treasure hunt. Mariam looking at me smiling again. I tried to ignore her again but this time she look really strange. 

“Have a nice weekend..”

“Uh…yeah..you…too…”

“Oh….I…will…kukuku….”

What the hell was that? even Hana look at her differently 

“That bad girl….she is up to something…”

Yeah I have to agree with Hana on this, she is up to something. We return home and Mom explain that she has outstation duties for this weekend and ask me to look after them. Dad is also left the house telling mom that he has also have outstation duties. Yeah, right. Pretty sure hanging around with his second wife. But at least, everything is perfect for our adventure, but damn how am I suppose to bring the two together. Hana showed me a baby carrier, I had a light bulb, and wanted to bring them together. 

“Hana…”

“Yeah big brother?”

“We going to another adventure with Sam ok?”

“Okay..”

“We better prepare ourself for the jungle trekking alright?” 

“As long we with big brother we will be fine..” 

Suddenly I heard a call and it’s from mom. 

“Alex seems like you going to have friends that want to stay there for the night, it's ok I will allow it, but treat them well okay?”

“Huh? What friends?” 

“Your school friends!! Her mom called me and I allowed it…” 

WHAT!! Don’t tell me it’s Mariam!? How the hell? Shit I remember why she ask Hazlan. 

“They coming tonight okay. Have fun kids”

“Hey Mom!! wait!! aren’t you suppose to say no?” 

 “You’re mature enough to handle this, that’s why I agreed to it well gotta go, I’m now approaching Long Pasia bye” 

She hung up. NO!!! What the hell!!?😱 Shit!!! Shit!!! Shit!!!  Wait friends? don’t tell me. A honk outside. SHE HERE!!! With AMIN!? 

“HEY ALEX OPEN UP!!”

“I DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE, GET OUT OF HERE!!!” 

“WAIT…!!”😄 

A phone ring again, it’s mom 

“ALEX OPEN THE GATE WILL YA, I’M ORDERING YOU!!” 

“Yeah, yeah…”

Damn….she got me, that bitch. I really hope is just them. It's only Mariam and Amin including his brother I think, Mr Faruq sending them. 

“Nice house….”

“Yeah…”

“Alright, have fun oh Alex look after them will ya?”

“Yeah, yeah…” 

Hazlan also arrived with his dad. 

“Assalamualaikum!!”

“Walaikumusalam!!” 

“Hey Alex seems Hazlan wanted to hang around with you”

“Yeah, we got plans”

“Good because he is always stuck at home never went anywhere” 

“Thanks dad see you on sunday”

“Yeah!!, its daddy honeymoon time with mother”

“Have fun!!” 

My house suddenly got a bunch of people. Hana was the first one to bring a broom. 

“This house has rules you know especially for bad girls like you!!” 

“Aww…I’m not going to be naughty here….”

She’s whispering something to Hana, and she suddenly become her allies. 

“Alright, that’s settle, Big Brother!! Let us set a room for them!!” 

Now she’s ordering me, I started to think Hana is like mom now. But kinda fun with friends around, kinda boring these day. But I need to hide that!! Or else all hell breaks loose. Uncle Faruq left for home and shouted “finally, now I got to have honeymoon together this weekend!!” Bastard!! That is real reason huh!! Mariam, Amin, Hazlan including Amin little brother seems at the same age as Hana. Huh…well at least gotta prepare for dinner for them. Hana showed them our house and I assign the room. Mariam will stay with Hana and Sam including Arman, while me, Amin and Hazlan sleep in my room. Though the house is does has 6 room, but most of it not even prep well, but whatever. I started cooking, Amin help me including Hana. While Mariam is playing with Sam. Hazlan tried to learn to cook with us. This started like a family, we cook soy chickens and fried veggies, while Hana cook rice. 

“Remember there is a lot of us, just cook the rice until for tomorrow, so I can prepare fried rice for breakfast” 

“Alright big brother”

“They easiest recipe fried rice, I’ve always cook it as well”

Amin little brother Arman observing us. Amin ask him to play with Mariam. 

“Hey Amin I hope you don’t make this place like a love hotel got it?” 

“I’m okay but Mariam I’m worried about”

“Don’t worry big brother Amin, I’ll make sure it does not happen!!” 

“You’re so cute at least I feel at ease” 

Mariam carried Sam to the kitchen and said to us 

“Your bother is really cute, next time come to my house to hang around, I lived in the town itself” 

“Her house is a penthouse near the beach”

“Beach!! Yay!! Will ya big brother!!?” 🥺

“Huh…fine maybe next time…”  

“Yay!! Gotta bring my swimming suit”

“I’ve got a villa in Manukan next time we hang around there” 

Wow she is rich!! What the hell…

“Mariam’s mom has a resort in Tuaran and her dad is big time contractor in building construction always going oversea.” 

“Oh.. damn never knew that…” 

Maybe that is the reason why she could afford to attend that school in New York. We had dinner together, this is the only time I’m really enjoy eating together other than with mom. Then we had dessert that mom bought, a valletta ice cream cake. Maybe I had to explain to them about this. 

“Everyone tomorrow I got a friend who invited me to join a jungle trekking rumour has it there is an old Japanese couple lived there, and their tomb is next to the house. The house is also Japanese design, I’m really interest to go but since you all are here. Do…you….want…to….join?” 

Mariam eyes shine brighter 🤩 

“That is really fun!! Okay so long you here, but what about Sam and Arman including Hana!?” 

“I'll bring them together” 

“HUH!!” Everyone except Hana and Sam including Arman

Mariam suddenly turn to motherly expression 

“You know there is a reason to a limit I’m not sure about this…”

“Yeah dude, its seem dangerous to bring Sam…” 

Maybe I could ask the neighbours. I give a call to the teacher and she agreed to it 

“That’s good maybe I could teach my son, in being a parent before he’s going to get married in the future” 

That was fast, but at least I got to go to do I want. I’m pretty sure mom is going to get mad at me, hehehe…. I explain that the neighbours will look after Sam but Mariam is not convinced 

“Are you sure you letting the neighbours to look after them? Maybe I’ll look after them”😇

That is the last thing I want to do. She could be trying to find out my secret with Natalie. And plus this big house is not something I want Mariam to be alone here with the strange artefacts that mom brought home. 

“Yeah we will see, maybe you could meet them?” 

“Fine…then on to the next” 

“She literary brought entertainment….” 

Board games, music karaoke and the list goes on. We hang out until night until Hana, Arman including Sam fell asleep, I carried Hana and Sam, while Amin carried Arman to the bed room. When I went out from the room, Mariam is whispering to Hazlan, I knew it?😨 she is smiling at me now🥰, I ask Amin to look after her. Which he agreed, while playing boardgames which is monopoly. I’m really good at his, I’ll show them who’s boss. 1 hour later, Mariam just bankrupt me first, later Amin, then its Hazlan. She is good at this. Next we played Jenga, and Amin lose first, then Mariam, then me and the winner is Hazlan. After that we played poker, which I’m really great at this, I’m always played this during the states, there no way I could lose this easily. Amin showed his straight card, Hazlan showed his triple card, I showed my quad card combination.

“Hahahaha, now that’s how to play poker!!”

“Wait?”

“Huh?”

Mariam showed her card a royal flush, how could she be so lucky!! Her devilish smile makes me even more suspicious. But I leave at it, Mariam then show another board game which OUIJA that famous board in America. I don’t believed in ghost, but Amin and Hazlan look scared to play this. Mariam said to us that she looking for something. I’ve got a bad feeling about this. I really believed that she purposely lead us to play this. 

“Alright know about this board games?”

“Yeah I heard it before, but never seen anything like this”

“Is it homemade when I bought from a witch doctor in Louisiana” 

“Huh?”

“So you mean it's the real thing?”

“Lets do this…”

“You’re not scared right Alex…?”

“Really?”

“Yeah, aren’t huh…”

The only I’m worried about is if she this thing to find out my secret…Nat… I’ll do want I could to protect it… 

Mariam lights the candle and some incense surround us. And she makes the incantation 

“If anyone coming here or already here, please make yourself presence, please show a sign”

It is suddenly quiet, the sound of cricket suddenly went silent. Is she that potent? We felt a slight wind from the window but I close that window. 

“Mar…”

“Quiet…I could feel it….”

I worried when she told me about a witch doctor she met in Louisiana. I remember that Mr Hawk explain to me some real witch doctor actually commune with the spirit of the dead or whatever that is. I’m a muslim I don’t practice this sort of shit. 

The lights of the candle suddenly change to green. Oh shit!! I’m pretty sure that she is brought something more than this board game. Wait, green? I remember something….like Late Grandpa told me about this when i was little. When in Long Pasia. 

“Remember son, you are protected by a ritual of a warrior, when some spirit come no one will harm you…if white, is good, if orange or red is there is nothing there, but if its green, means it’s not a spirit more like another entity, when that happen. Just be like a warrior…” 

I don’t know how to look like a warrior since the only thing I know is being a gangster. I become serious, while the others have close their eyes. The eerie feeling surrounds it, suddenly turn a bit violent, wind is getting stronger. I keep looking at the green candle until it changes to white. I felt relieved. 

“Alright, I sense it”

Mar, next time you better read the manual. She started the ritual and ask some question. We hold our hand together in the magnifying glass in a board that had alphabets, numbers, yes, no, maybe, and hello, and good bye. 

“Are you here?”

The magnifying glass move by itself. I don’t know if its deliberate or not but I really move to yes. 

“Shit, it works!!”

“Quiet, does Amin had other girls in his mind?”

“Huh!?” 

The glass move again towards maybe. Oh shit Amin, you’re in trouble now. 

“There is no a way I’m going to believed this” 

“Yeah, its sounds scary”

“Alright, any names in particular that you found?”

The magnifying glass move, R, O, S, E, . Mariam look at Amin 😒

“Who is Rose?” 

“Eh…? uh…the new student they wanted ask for direction…hahahahaha” 

Me and Hazlan 😏

“Oi!! Aren’t you backing me up?” 

“Huh, do you believed all this shit?”

“Mariam believed it!!”

“Let us continue”

“Did Hazlan meet Alex last week?”

Oi!! What the hell, she is up to something. The glass move again to yes. 

Mariam smile. 

“Did Hazlan look at something naughty?” 

Shit!!😱 she is aiming at my secret. The glass move again and maybe. Huh at least not something for sure. See

“What is Alex is thinking right?” 

Hey!! Don’t!! The glass move to a letter, H, I, D, E, S, E, C,R,E ,T. Amin surprised by this. The FUCK!! You purposely doing this right!!? I had to do something or else. This time I will ask 

“Did Mariam call someone yesterday?”

Glass move again to yes. 

“Who she talk to ?”

The glass move to N, A, T, A, L, I, E ; it really is!! Mariam smile at me and this time she ask the question

“Does Alex had a naughty collection of pictures?” 

NO!!!!😱 this is getting worst!! Don’t you move it!! The glass move to yes. Amin was surprised 

“Gee, never knew you had in you….”

“…..yep….Alex…is….” 

“Kukuku, i knew it, Nat you soo dead…” 

Sorry Nat, I tried my best this is the worst!! I ask Amin to prolong it. 

“Does Mariam really like me or not?”

The glass move to yes

“How far does she like me?”

The glass move R,E,A,L,L,Y M,A,D,L,Y, I,N, L,O,V,E ; 

“Amin does that even helps?” Amin face turns reds and Mariam smile at him

“Is that what you think of?” 

She hold the glass and ask again 

“Does Amin love me?”

The glass move to yes. Amin look convincing to her 

“I’m over the heels for you”

“Good boy…”

Next Mariam ask about Hazlan 

“What type of girls that Hazlan like”

The glass move 2, D we know already its 2D girls. Then she heads even naughty things 

“Does Hazlan want to sleep with Alex?” 

HEY!! That’s not funny!! The glass move to maybe

Amin laugh!! “What the fuck!!! Hazlan!!” 

Hazlan turn red in embarrassment “shut up….”

Then out of nowhere Mariam ask this question 

“Who’s naughty picture does Alex kept to himself?” 

NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!!😨 the glass move by itself N,A,T,A,L,I,E, I froze myself 🥶 

“Kukuku…it seems it's true….” And she ask again 

“Does Hazlan see it?” 

The glass move again to yes. Amin whisper to him 

“Tell me bro what do you see…?” 

“……no way…..I’m…not….going….to….tell….” 

Mariam smile at Hazlan and me 

“This time you guys aren’t going to keep secrets from me…”😈

Oh shit!! She is serious. What other question she is asking now? 

“Where does he hides it?”

“Hey!!” 

The glass move to B,O,X

That’s it!! My secret is all gone….😭 down to the drain. We continued playing it. Until all of us lay bare on our dirty secret. Mariam is really formidable in taking out secret. Hazlan is sleepy and he head to bed first. While Amin, Mariam and me hangout at the corridor behind our house. The moon shine really bright that we don’t need lights. Mariam took a cigarette and Amin is also smoking. Never knew that they were smokers, I took one of it, and smoking as well. 

“I’m not going to look at it, I’m not even wanted it because I’m just pissed with her being closed like that”

“You know some things we have borders you like privacy…”

“But if Nat is honey bestie aren’t they to share everything?”

“Yeah!! That my honey….” 

“Huh…” I make drinks for them up stairs. Hazlan woke up look really sleepy and ask what are we doing and I said we hang around outside, he said he is really tired and wanted to sleep. 

“Hey I make sirap only” 

“Thanks!!” 

Mariam, Amin and me hang around. Mariam look really relax 

“You know Alex this place really make yourself in peace, I hate the bustling sound of cars and airplanes everyday you know its annoying, Amin also hated it. I really love this place..”

“Yeah you hang out here you know…”

“I’ll take that offer don’t forget to hangout at my place”

“Got it…” 

“Alex…”

“Yeah..?”

“Don’t let go of Natalie….she is special to me….”

“Yeah…I will…” 

Mariam and Amin including Hazlan is now my close friend. The only few that I could trust. 

“So tomorrow, we going out ya?”

“Yep, better get rest well ok?” 

Everyone of us back to bed. Amin, Hazlan and me rest in my room. Amin suddenly ask me 

“Sorry bro but gotta see your babe….I’m really curious why Mariam really talk a lot about her” 

“Yeah…but are you sure?” 

I smile and I took one of the picture that I cherish the most, a selfie of me and Natalie in the park before we left. Amin look at it, and begin to understand why Mariam really cherish her. 

“She is hot, really beautiful…Mariam is hot too but every time she compared herself to her she said she is hotter and cuter.”

“Half-native american and French….” 

“Seriously? Wow no wonder you immune to babes here, they are nothing compared to her” 

“Of course dude, but long distance relationship is a bit rocky but rewarding afterwards if we could pull it off…” 

“No dude, but I got to thank ya because I got the girl that I never gonna get…never expected that you will be the one that connect us all, like you some sort of a special powers within you…” 

“Heh that’s nothing..” Hazlan woken up and ask to see the picture of me and Natalie 

“Now this is proper not the one that I look before…oops”

“Oi!!” 😳

“What picture? Come on dude just share with us…”

“no….Nat will kill me…”

“Come on bro just a peek…”

Hazlan said to me “make him submit to something”

“No, not a chance….” 

“Come on just a peek….”

“Nope…”

Hazlan saw something drop from my pillow is a picture of Natalie sexy pose with a lingerie. OH!! SHIT!!!😱 

Amin look at it, his nose bleed 

“Dude she is a keeper don’t lose her okay, you’ve got my respect”

“…..dammit….” 

“Hey Hazlan aren’t you arouse seeing this?” 

“nope…It’s vulgar….I rather with babes which is pure…” 

“Like your mom, yeah….you need to get more experience…dude”

“Wrong experience dude….get your facts right…” 

It’s been a while hanging around with friends.

The next morning, Hazlan is the imam, he woke us up for Subuh prayers, and we prayed together. Hana woke up and she followed me to exercise, Amin and Hazlan followed as well. 

“So this is your morning routine?” 

“Yep, healthy body leads to a healthy mind” 

Mariam wakes up and join the exercise as well, I heard Sam is calling, I pick him up and pack his stuff for the day with the neighbours. We had breakfast for fried rice with left over rice last night. We clean up all the stuff. And prepare for the jungle trek. Zuan calling us outside and he is surprised that I brought my friends together. 

“Whoa…nice…this is going to be fun adventure…”

Zuan introduce again all of their friends. 

“This is Geoffrey, Yan, Wanie, Miria, Kazui, Raj, Merlinder, Manuk, Bboy, Unie and our troop guide and leader of the trip Arie” 

I introduce them as well 

“This is Hana, I’m Alex, Amin, Arman, Hazlan and Mariam” 

“This is a large group its been a while…I had excitement like this…” Arie 

“Alright we going in early because its pretty deep estimate travel will be a whole day in the jungle with returns. We expected to be back at night fall. Don’t get separated because this is the jungle, and we don’t one anyone get lost in the jungle. Got it!?” 

Everyone shouted “alright!!” 

Arie open his map including an old map that leads to the place. He took a compass and discuss in which path to go. I look at the map as well, I ask them. 

“Which path Is the place?” 

“Is suppose to go through this walkway there… beyond the roads but we know that is a mangrove swamp and its a bit dangerous but its the fastest, not all of us are experience in the jungle, except you, we know you are capable of going to.”

Amin look at it and he know how to read a map. 

“Hey this pathway looks similar to the old map that my dad had before…” 

Arie and Amin agreed to take the path that they believed and it is behind Zuan’s house. Zuan remembers that there is a small pathway into the jungle. 

“Alright troops let move on!! Hey guys does anyone bring a camera?” 

“I did!!” Mariam brought camera and video camera.

“Look like this is a great idea for my next music videos” 

“Huh..?”

“She is a dancer for MTV”

“Whoa….maybe I will look at your videos”

“Yeah I Mary J Blige video, I am a backup dancer there. I think in the car scene I think?” 

“Nothing like a celebrity joining us”

“Yo, guys Arie is leaving us!!” 

“Hey, aren’t you the troop leader!!” 

“Keep talking we will waste time again!!” 

Like a small squad walking straight to the jungle, we entered the pathway behind Zuan’s house, the air is different and serene compared back just now. Mariam holding Hana 

“Keep close to me ya…”

“Ok Big Sis Mar…” 

We walk deeper climbing hills, Arie ask me to climb the tall trees to see anything we could find. I climb up the trees, manage to see another pathway that leads to another grass hill. 

“We estimate around another hour of walking in the jungle. Heading north right?”

“Yeah…”

“Anyone tired?” 

“No way!!”

“If tired we wil rest…” 

“Yeah we should not have been a problem, let us move on” 

Each path we travel, we encounter wild animals. I’m always fascinated with animals, I catch a small rat snake, which it afraid of us, Mariam took a picture of me and the animals. Which we were chased by a wild boar. Mariam also took a video with the help of Hana, she teaches Hana how to take a video. I manage to climb a tree and tried to drop kick the wild boar in the head. Which it hits, the wild boar is disoriented, and fainted. Manuk could believed that I just drop kick the wild boar. Geoffrey is overjoy and said to us 

“Finally I’m going to have feast, Sinalau Bakas!!!” 

“Sinalau bakas?” 

“Meaning wild boar BBQ” Geoffrey mouth is drooling.  

Manuk laugh at us “most of the are muslim you idiot, and Alex you better cleanse your feet when you return back!!” 

“Yeah, I still remember, I played with piglets in my late grandma’s farm…”

“Big brother I never heard that before!!” 

I rub her head, 

“Well maybe one of these day we ask mom to bring us to Long Pasia…” 

“Yeah!!” 

While Geoffrey and Manuk carried the wild boar and a python that he found in the bushes. Mariam still amaze and took a picture of them carried it, now I felt like we’re in national geographic, bunch of kids on an adventure. We reach a river and Arie ask us to rest, and start prepare camp ground to rest. 

“We rest here!!, Geof and Manuk we could not carried that overload it is something that you should understand, this is the jungle anything could happen.”

“Aww….come on….” 

The river is not deep but we had to be careful of under currents. Arie tried to taste the waters and said 

“Its salty….”

“Meaning tides…”

“Yeah, we can’t return back here…”

“Wait up…I saw something in the river…hey its a crab!!” 

Yan ask for help, me, Amin and Zuan to catch some crab while Yan doing some fishing, using a bamboo he found in the jungle. He spear fishing, he got some fishes to eat for lunch. It is still not noon so we prepare the cooking for food. While Geof, Manuk, Kazui, and Raj is cooking the wild boar and the snake. Arman and Hazlan were engrossed by how they make the food. 

“This is how they prepare food….” They looked horrified 

Hana, Mariam, Merlinder, Wanie tried to find some edible plants to eat under the guidance of Miria. They manage to get some ferns to eat. Looks like Bboy brought cooking utensil but there is no pot, which Arie showed them another method of cooking the vegetables using bamboo. 

“Wash the veggie, clean the bamboo for dust, using this wild banana leave wrap it, along with the fish, which is a type of river bass that Yan manage to catch, we wrap all of it together and add some chilies that we brought and onion and Burn it in the fire.” 

“I brought some snacks from home” 

Wanie brought some instant noodles which is heaven for Hazlan, Arman, and Zuan. Mariam is interested in eating those food made by Arie. Amin said

“well we manage to catch that food!!” 

“Now we wait, Alex what are you doing now?” 

“Gonna scout the area first..” 

“Alright!! Don’t get far!!”

“Got it”

I climb a tree but to surprised me next to this wild life there is a paddy field next to it. I jump down from the tree and explain to Arie. Arie took a map and jot down X on the point in our location. 

“Couldn’t imagine that we had walk over 10km already but we are still another 5km from the suppose location” 

“Fine…”

I’m just like a little kid excited walking together with them.

“You look different with them…compared to yourself in school…” 

“Yeah…”

“Come on, lets us quickly done our eating and lets move on”

“I’m pretty sure those carnivores have not done their fill” 

“Ahhh, that is something!!!” 

“Barbarian monkeys!!” 

“Hahahaha we had our fill” 

Mariam were focus on taking pictures and listening to nature of the river. Amin actually brought his music instrument a harmonica playing blues. Amin is actually had talents in music. Like he did during the orientation. We listen to it while Mariam singing. Hana took a video together, Arie sat next to me.

“Nice friendship you have here…I just remembered you just another rich kid but I’m impress…” 

“Thanks I take that as a compliment but I’m not rich, normal and average like you guys…” 

“If you could climb trees and walking in the jungle like your backyard is nothing sort of special…” 

“I dunno because every-time I’m here, I just be myself, it is fun….”

“Want to know the legend of this place that we are going?”

“Yeah…I never heard of this legend…” 

“Story starts during before world war 2, legend has it, there is a Japanese couple who were once scientist in Japan escape from the imperial prosecution and permanently stayed here in this place. This couple help the locals here in farming method and teaching Japanese and English. During that time, they manage to elude the Japanese imperials in locating them. They hid themselves in a jungle deep within. The locals here were once the muruts and dusun people, they help them build a home estate hidden within a place where there is only grass hill that identical to their old home in Japan. They build their home like those in Japan, and remain hidden from sight. What they research is something until today is question and legend among local treasure hunters still searching. Rumours has that they kept a rare pen that is written from that Japanese couple, a pair of it. Including a pocket watch that the scientist keep in sight. There is rumour as well a wedding ring that they kept is rarest of all diamond rings ‘pink diamond’ and a kimono that belong to them.”

Sounds like a real treasure here, worth millions. But I’m interested in the building itself whether it exist or not. When we have rested, we continued to cross the river, and realise it start to recede with a natural bridge on the side, as if it was man-made. Arie explain that the scientist that made the pathway. We walk through again thick bushes, which Arie, Amin, Wanie and me cutting it with a machete. I see a narrow pathway that was once people walk over it or an animal. We slowly reached to a place. Where the map explain the place. What surprises us there is a name of the place. 

“Tadashi household” 

Tadashi huh, out of no where there is a estate from the deep jungle. Since there is nothing to been seen. I climb another tree to see where is our bearing. Surprising is already deep in the jungle, facing Mount Kinabalu. But I saw another paddy field from a far only to see somewhere looks different from what they have seen. Alex went down to surprised him, no one is around. It suddenly foggy. 

“Strange, a fog during the day…” 

Someone calling me

“Ohai yooo….”

An old man calling me, huh? What the hell? Why he is wearing like an old clothing like in the 30’s 

He suddenly ask me

“Child are you lost?”

“no…but I found that this place is quite close to my home…” 

“Ah…it seems your friend is also lost along the way…”

“What did you do?” 

“Nope, because there is fog, and mist, I smell something strange about this and ask the old man to way…” 

“You look different compared to others child, but you really are fearless in your heart” 

What the hell? Is he talking about them? Are they in danger? I tried to follow the old man. And reach a place where he called it home. 

“This is strange am I in Japan?” 

“Hahaha…of course not…”

“You could speak Japanese?”

“They way your dialect is that of the Americans are you an Americans?”

“No lived there before…”

“Oh come let us walk there…”

I believed this is the place that Arie talk about impossible this is the place that he mention about but something about this place feels not eerie but serene. Its hard for me to explain myself but I’m afraid about it. The old man enters the house but he passed through it. Sound like a strange thing just now. I open the door of the house like those stories I read from doremon about the Japanese house. It has wooden floor that is still intact as if not even eroded by the time. Wha…how could this be? Well I had to check again, the house is filled with artefact like my mom. I met the old man again which this time, another old lady is together with him.

“Sit down child…”

“Yeah…”

“Where are you from?” 

“Here, Sabah…”

“Oh now they called it Sabah…I wonder it before they once called it North Borneo..” 

“But how you still be alive?” 

“Not sure about that but I wanted to know about you…”

I’m not sure about this but I had to stay calm and follow with the flow

My heart beats like crazy but I don’t feel it something that is a scary but soothing. Usually watching horror movies, you feel the something evil, but this is like wanted to be found. I sit at the walkway looking at the two. I’m wondering, is this a ghost or a spirit? 

“Child you surprise me a bit because most people who traveled here, are scared to death…”

“He remind me of our daughter…”

“Head strong, and brave…” 

“Daughter?”

“Yes, we have but she had disappeared from the jungles…”

“I’m sorry….”

“There is no need to apologise, I just hope someone could find her…let it be together…”

Not sure whether I could help but I just had a feeling that I’m not going to let them unrest like this. I muster my courage to say it.

“Then where is the last time she disappeared?” 

“Huh?…at the back of this forest….she was playing with some local child then she had never return…” 

“Oh..maybe I could help fine them…” 

“Then I hope to see you again…”

Someone calling me 

“Alex!! Wake up!!!”

“Big Brother!!”

I wake up, I realise that was a dream, I actually fell from the tree. I bruises and bleeding on my arm. So that’s was. Dream? I’m still in the entrance of the place. Hana hugged me and cried 

“I thought you were gone!!” 

“That was scary, you suddenly fell from the tree. I was almost 5 mins you have fainted” 

So it was a dream but it looks surreal. Mariam look terrified, and Amin was panicking. Arie look at me and ask me whether I’m ok but I don’t feel any pain or discomfort. 

“That was a terrifying drop you know. I don’t know how you could say it’s not painful…”

“Yeah I’m fine…”

We saw the entrance but its not like in the dream. We continued after Mariam treated me. We entered the place, it is filled with bushes and trees. There is a sign of people living here. Including a statue of a buddha. It is filled with weeds and vines. We saw walk way that was once a pathway. We slowly reach there there is an open grass hills. Where the house is from my dreams, but its like been left behind without care. The crumbling structure that was intact during my dreams just now, Arie investigate the place. 

“Seems the legends are true. But this isn’t safe to enter. Guys lets search around the place maybe we could find the tomb that the legend said”

“Got it!!” everyone 

We look around scouring for artefacts that has been left behind, But I was curious about the dream that I made that promise and I head to the place that the old man mention. It is just thick bushes. Wondering where is a sign of a pathway. I heard soft voices calling, crying but I wonder to see it. I’m just worried there is something else there, I head deep in the thick bushes trying to follow the voice that is crying. Carefully walk through the thick bushes. Suddenly a voice shouted at me. 

“Don’t move closer!! There is a drop!!” 

I stop and look at it while uncovering it, a little slope but its deep. I slowly climb down and someone calling me again. 

“Help me!!…”

Once I reach closer, a sudden flashback like a memory. The house is on fire, the old man that I met in my dreams, a soldier that look like a Japanese shooting at them. The little girl running towards the bushes. The soldier shouted and shoot the girl. She is dying from the shot. I come back to my senses and there it is, a bony remains of a child that has remains of clothing. I carried it, and head out from the bushes. Arie see me and asked me what I have found. I showed them they were terrified 

“Hey!! That’s is a bone!! Where the hell you get it!!?” 

“Down there but its calling me…”

“Thats not funny because who knows what possessing you later on..” 

Mariam see it and took the picture of me and the bony remains of the child that seems to be the old mans daughter. 

“Alex….you know…..there is a limit to crazy but this is off the charts….you and Nat is almost the same..” 

“Yo, dude that is scary thing you doing right now…no wonder you not afraid of anything…”

“Hey!! I do you know!! Well….” 

I explain to them that I had a dream when I was fainted just now. Arie said to me 

“You know you must be special, that you communicate with the dead….” 

“Huh!?” 

“Yeah like….you some sort of special powers within you dude….”

“Don’t know….I really don’t give a shit about these thing….when mom always bring artifacts from her site visit, Im immune to it…” 

“No shit!!, well what are you going to do…?”

“Gotta find the so called tomb right?” 

Manuk shouted

“Hey I found it!!!” 

We head there, and there it is, the tomb and a beautiful view facing Mount Kinabalu, and the paddy fields. Arie said to us that we actually behind the Kg Ulu area. I see two tombs. 

“Yukimaru Tadashi and Kawamari Tadashi, and Minami Tadashi (missing)”

“These must be it…” 

Yan took a spade from the abandon house, I started digging a grave for the bone remains of maybe suppose Minami. A proper burial, which I took a stick as a grave marker for it. A voice called me 

“Domo arigato….thank you stranger for bringing me to my mom and dad…thank you…” 

Arie don’t know how to pray in Buddhist and luckily Kazui is a Buddhist faith he started praying the grave. Everyone gave their silent for the dead. We left the grave while I saw Mariam took a picture of us.

“Well the legends are true. Then lets us search for treasure!!” 

“Yeah!!!” 

I look back at the grave again while others have left. I saw them, waving us goodbye. Suddenly Hana said to me

“Hey….I see it, bye!!” 

“Yeah, let leave it okay, don’t tell anyone, it will be our secret…”

“Okay…” 

We entered the house some of the area had a charred remains. Everyone look for anything valuable but nothing could be found. I entered seems to be a remain of a room. It is still intact, what kind of a wood they are using? Something snaps from the floor. I saw a metal box, which I carried it. And brought it out from the house, Mariam see me and head towards me. 

“Ooo, treasure chest” 

Amin overheard it and he’s getting excited.

“Yo, Alex!! How the hell you find it!!” 

Everyone head towards me. 

“Its rusted, this is combination lock…” 

Inside my mind suddenly a voice called me “5672”

I unconsciously use the combination lock its open only a bit rusty. A loud creak from the joints. 

“A rusted fountain pen, an old Japanese money, and a journal, an old monocle, including an old stamp”

“Dibs on the old Japanese money!!” 

“Hey, lets us keep this like our treasure, each of us had share of it”

Arie discuss about this and he said 

“Let Alex decide what he wants…” 

“What?”

“Come on, you re the one that found so you choose first…” 

I am interested in the journal, and the fountain pen including the old box, I felt something hidden from it.

The remaining everyone had a fair share of treasure. Since the money is equally share among them. Mariam took the stamp and Amin took the monocle. 

“This glasses look cool, retro…” 

“This is a heavy stamp” 

Arie called us to return back home. I look back at the house I saw again the family, they waving us goodbye. We head to different way which is lead to Putatan, we slowly walk along the railway. And head back to our village. Once we reach there Arie said to us

“Remember, this is our secret, and once head back home don’t forget to cleanse ourself because we went to place there is dead people, especially Alex…”

Everyone looking at me, I don’t really care about that shit..

“Yeah Alex, don’t forget to pray got it, god knows what you brought at home later on…” 

“fine….” 

We part ways, but Mariam ask us to gather together for a photoshoot together 

“This is our expedition team, say treasure!!” 

“TREASURE!!!!” 

“Kachak!!” 

“Hey Mariam don’t forget to share with us!!” 

“Got it!!! Once I print the picture, I’ll make an album of our expedition…” 

“Thanks”

We part ways and we head back home, Sam must worried about us. Mariam said to me

“Hey Alex, I had a lot of fun, don’t forget to invite us again you know!!” 

“Yeah, I want to join again!!” 

“This is a lot of fun…!!” 

“Got it…” 

We reach home, I saw Habeeb is looking after Sam, he is struggling for Sam, while his mother laugh at him. Sam saw us and started calling us. 

“Thank you teacher for looking after Sam for me” 

“No worries, he is a well behave toddler, he rarely cry, give him some food and playing with him. Habeeb now getting used to it…”

I carried Sam, and hold her arm and kissed her arm as an act of respect. 

“You have good friends you know…want to join us for dinner?” 

“Yeah, is it okay with my friends?” 

“The more the merrier…” 

“Hey everyone, later we will dinner with our neighbours..”

“Got it, let us clean ourself first”

Mariam looking at the box that I took 

“You know, I’m getting curious among all the stuff, you only took the least important…” 

“Don’t know but I drawn to it…” 

When we back home, we freshen up ourself and head to the neighbours house. The neighbour’s husband know Amin’s dad, we had a great time together. The teacher ask Mariam

“What is your name child?” 

“Mariam Binti Juhaidi” 

“You mean your father is Tan Sri Juhaidi@Edwards?” 

“uh…yeah…”

“Then your mother must be Tan Sri Sarah is it?” 

“yeah….” Mariam is reluctant to be proud of it

“The founder of Glory Foundations Group and Paradise Resort group? Right?” 

“Yeah….never care about it…”

“You know, I seen you before…”

“ha.haha…just leave it at that…please I kinda uncomfortable about it…”

“Ooh sorry about it…”

Never knew that she is rich but never really care about it. Amin seems not surprised about it. 

“Uh…yeah…” he is protecting Mariam. 

“Hahaha maybe let it be a secret about it…” 

“Oh ya sorry…but seems Alex never cared about it though…” 

“Huh? Why are all of you looking at me?” 

The teacher smile at me and said to me 

“Friendship is important part of life..cherish it while you can”

“Yeah thank you teacher…” 

We had dinner together. The teacher make a traditional malay dinner which is ‘Gulai assam ikan’ and ‘Ulam’ meaning salad. 

“This is delicious, out of this world…” 

“Damn….I can’t eating this…”

“Hahaha my pride…and joy!!” 

We had a chat together with them until night we return back home. Arman, Hana and Sam is really tired from the adventures together. Only left the four of us, Amin, Mariam and Hazlan is chatting while I tried to check the stuff that I took from the old house. I open the box, I tried to knock the box, I felt a hallow inside. I knew it, a hidden compartment, I slowly open it, and there is it a pocket watch. A Breguet Antique Number 2667 watch. Mariam head towards me, she is surprised 

“Holy shit!! That is the mother-load, you got yourself a real treasure, that thing worth millions of dollars you know…”

“And its still works…” 

“How about the fountain pen?” 

“Tried to clean it with this solution” 

I used vinegar to dissolved the rust and that even surprise me its an old pilot fountain pen, written there 1923. Mariam said to me 

“Among all the treasure we took, you have the most valuable treasure” 

“Your stamp is also rare, I saw it one of the old encyclopaedia I learn from Mr Hawk, its the coronation of Emperor Hirohito, that is worth thousand as well, and you had bunch of it…” 

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that Amin monocle is also valuable, let me get it and clean it…” 

She took the monocle, and I tried to clean it, when it is shine, Mariam observe it and she is surprised 

“This is pure gold!!” 

Amin overheard it and head towards us. 

Hazlan said to me 

“Wow, we had historical stuff you know… but why the journal?” 

“Let me open it…” 

All of us looking at the old journal its cover is made from leather. I open it there is bunch of pictures in it. We all are amaze to see countless picture from the old days before the war. 

“Alex….this is history, we should put it in museum or something…” 

“Yeah, it has historical value in it…” 

The picture of the old man , the lady and the child that I saw, they smiling with the tribesman. Another picture they teaching the tribesman paddy farming. There is also long houses. I realise something, this is not a scientist, they are anthropologist like mom. I read throughly is mixed with English and Japanese. I ask Mariam whether she understand Japanese.

“Yo, Mar do you know Japanese?”

“A bit though let me check it out.. it said” 

“Mukashi no do~usun-zoku wa, nōsanbutsu ya shinrin sanbutsu (Amerika ya kohaku no `damāru' nado) o mochikonde, shio, shiodzuke no sakana, sonohoka no seihin to kōkan suru koto de, engan no hitobito to kōeki o okonatte imashita. Do~usun ni wa, kono tane no torihiki katsudō o arawasu tokubetsuna yōgo, tsumari monginbadi ga arimasu. Kore wa, nairiku-bu to saba-shū no engan chiiki o musubu tetsudō to dōro-mō ga hattatsu suru mae no kotodesu. Genzai no tanbunan - penanpan dōro wa, bundo~u - Ri wan do~usun-zoku ga monginbadi de kurokkā sanmyaku o ōdan suru tame ni shiyō shita bōeki rūto nimotozuite daibubun ga kensetsu sa remashita. Which translate The Dusun of old traded with the coastal people by bringing their agricultural and forest produce (such as rice and amber 'damar') to exchange for salt, salted fish and other products. The Dusun has a special term to describe this type of trading activity, i.e. mongimbadi. This was before the development of the railroad and road network connecting the interior with the coastal regions of North Borneo. The present Tambunan-Penampang road was largely constructed based on the trading route used by the Bundu-Liwan Dusun to cross the Crocker Range on their mongimbadi.”

“Are you sure a bit…?” 😒 sounds overkill for me

“yeah…..”😏

“When talking to her, its always the opposite…” - Amin

“Whoa!! That is awesome Mariam any other language?” - Hazlan

“Ummm 🤔 other than Bahasa Indonesia and English, maybe French, German, Spanish, urdu, Tamil, Japanese, Chinese mandarin, hokkien, arabic, Swahili, Portuguese, latin, Italian, Swedish, Russian, Romanian, nepalese, zhonka, a bit kadazan, a bit dusun, a bit iban, a bit orang asli, a bit noongar, a bit Polynesian, Maori, a bit of malay,…..”

Me, Amin, Hazlan 😅 and she continues again 

“A bit of Kelantanese, thai, Burmese, Laotian, a bit of Sanskrit…..”

“Ok!OK! Got it, I got it!! Literary around the world ok!ok! 🤯” - Alex

“Wait up!! There is more..” 🥺 Amin tried to hold her out

“Okay, okay!! You know a lot than any of us!! Ok babe!!” 😅

“But honey🥺 there is more…”

“Look at them!! 🐒 they already look like monkeys! They could not absorb again…”

“But 🥺…”

Amin hugged her 🫂

“Okay babe, stay still…..”

“Uu…”🥺

Thats overkill, she going to lose a lot of confidence in many of us here.

“She has super powers…” 

“Tomorrow I will do the exercise alright!!”🤩

“Fine…” 

“Uh…babe….” 

“Sounds interesting…” 

“Huaaah!! I’m tired I’m going to sleep nite!!”

“Me too”

“You going to sleep Alex?”

“Yeah, but I gotta clean this up first…” 

“Got it nite…” 

They went into bed. I’m still reading the journal, where he wrote in English. Fascinate with their activities. But before that gonna check the email. Anything that Natalie sent. I check through the computer and there is one message which is urgent from Natalie. 

‘ALEX!! IF MAR MEET YOU TRY EVERYTHING WITH YOUR POWER TO HOLD HER OFF!! 

Sorry about that!! 

I called her, but never expected that she is at the same school as you, looks fun. I have not met Mar for years, but I felt relieved that Mar’s there. But never mind how is your day? Here is the usual but I hope I can meet you again. I move to a new place with dad, so new school and new environment. 

See you Alex

Love 

Natalie 

P/S - please just make sure she doesn’t find out, I’m begging you!! 

Oh here is another gift for you

An attachment of her picture. 😶‍🌫️ oh shit she is in her lingerie that is sexy…dammit!! Gotta print this and hide it in my collection. 

“ahh…what are you doing here? huaaa…” 

Oh SHIT!! 😱 its Mar. I shut down the computer as quickly as possible. 

“Kukuku, what are you doing Alex?” 

“Nothing…just checking my email….” 😓

“Oh really….this is fun…..kukuku…” 😈

Oh shit!! How on earth? I though she was sleeping already!! The fuck!! 

“I can see your face is red, what happen?” 

“uh…nothing maybe its hot here….” 🥵

“eh…is there something you hiding…?” 

“I said nothing!!”🤬

“Kukuku…..ah…” she see it

She took it and she look at it. Oh god…

“Mar….?”

“kukuku…..Nat you naughty girl….” 

“Don’t…..”

“Oh well” she give me back 

“At least I feel relieved that you still had hots for her…” 

“yeah…I do…..” 

“Just between us..” 🤫

She went back to her room. I hope she doesn’t done anything stupid. I went back to bed, Hazlan is sleeping on the floor and Amin sleeping while sitting on the bed. Must be really tired, I cover them with blankets and I went to sleep. 

0