Chapter 10 – The Weekend Basketball Cup
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning sunday, sun is shining brightly. Only the hear a loud shout from Mariam 

“RISE AND SHINE BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!” While she is banging the pot. 

Ah!! I instantly awake while Amin jumps from the bed.

“What the hell was that!!” 

“Alarm!!” 

Hana and Mariam stand in-front of us shouting at us. Arman is there as well, looking spirited. 

“Oi!!” 

“Do you know what time it is!!!” 

“Heeh you guys forget to pray you know”

“Gah…” shit we miss it. It's already sunshine. 

“uh…looks like we are really tired…” 

“Yeah….”

Mariam pull Amin while Hana pulled me out of bed. This is sudden, and we jump off to exercise with aerobic style. What a way to start off!! With a fresh start, Mariam actually prepared breakfast for us an american breakfast, beef bacon, eggs, juice and pan cakes. She is really good. 

“I made this myself for breakfast before the maid come, since I lived in Harlem, we did manage the place, plus I have always made breakfast for mom and dad!! kukuku” 

That kukuku, really annoys me. We hang around in the house for a while. But I remember when I tried to clear stuff from the storage room there is a basketball pole from the storage. I went out to the storage room and there it is. Mariam and the others followed me to the storage room, and took out the basketball pole. Now for the ball itself, I scourge the storage room for a ball. It's old but could be use. It’s not that tall since its only 6’9 feet high. I set up the pole and while the others having fun playing it. Amin is around 5’9 and Mariam is 5’4’ Hazlan is 5’5. So should be fine without them dunking it since I’m 5’6. So should be fine. I remember Natalie is 5’3 so she is short tough kinda cute. While playing I also seen some sports equipment including 3 bicycle. I have an idea of exploring this place using bicycle. Someone calling us from outside of the house. Zuan and Geoffrey is calling, I invited them to my house and head behind, they were surprised there is a basketball pole. 

“Its been a while playing basketball, not football”

“Is it soccer or football”🤔

“That is the American term for it Mar..” 😐

“How about this since they are here, how about a challenge?” - Mariam 

“Wait a sec I’m calling the gang they hanging around outside” 

“Right…” - Alex

Looks fun and while waiting we started off with anyone around here, Mariam explain the challenge 

“2 people team, max points is 24 time limit is 10 min, so lets us start getting into group there is no 3 points” 

She started making names of each teams, 

“Mariam and Amin - team Maramin, Zuan and Geoffrey - team Zegeo, Alex and Hazlan - team Axhaz, Hana and Arman - team Haar got it!!” 

“Yeah!!” Everyone

We play rock, paper, scissors and Team Maramin vs Zegeo start first then Axhaz and Haar. 

I carried Sam there, while Hana whistle to start the game with a timer with me. Hana been playing basketball in America with the elementary school team before so it should be fine. Arman and Hazlan however have no idea how to play. 

“Preet!!!”  

“Honey, lets beat them!!”

“OHHH!!” 

Zuan is 5’9 and Geoffrey is 5’4 is a balance team, I’m pretty sure Zuan going to dunk it. Mar took the pass to Amin. Amin make a shot from outside, its a fake, and pass to Mar, she make a lay up it’s been block by Zuan large size. Zuan is tall for an asian. Habeeb is also here

“Hey this look fun can I join?” 

“Yeah!!” 

Habeeb is 5’11 so he is tall I’m pretty most of them wanted him to play. Mar makes the shot and it went in. I called the points 

“2 : 0!!” 

Zuan said to Geoffrey 

“Hey looks Mar is pretty good with her shots, better take notice” 

“I’m more concern with Amin he is at the same size as me” 

Amin is slender compared to Zuan who is a bit bulky build than him. Now is all about speed, and technique. Zuan instantly overpowered Amin and Mar. He dunk it!! Damn hope it holds.

“2 : 2” 

Now they are even. Mar then ask Amin to respond to Zuan 

“He is provoking us”

“OHH!!! 

Mar speeds through Geoffrey and Zuan and shot but is an alley-oop. Amin dunk it as well. 

“4 : 2” 

“Shit they are good”

Mar and Amin makes pretty good team, their chemistry is already there. Zuan charges forward and makes a fakes pass to Geoffrey who is from the side, he makes the shot, it went in. 

“4 : 4” 

It's tied again. Mar makes a back shot instantly went through all of them. 

“6 : 4!!” 

Zuan and Geoffrey makes the entry, Zuan tried to shoot it and been block by Amin, Mar steals it, she took the shot and it bounce from the hoop, Mar shouted at Amin

“Rebound!!!” 

Amin, Geoffrey and Zuan tried to catch it, Zuan reach it and a steal from Mar, she heads back and  jumps back while taking the shot, it went in, if this was a game its already 3 points ahead.

“8 : 4!!” 

Mar and Amin high five 

“Team MARAMIN!!!” 

“Yeah!!!” 

“Looks like we are going up the pace…” Geoffrey is smiling

Geoffrey speeds through and pass to Zuan and he pass back to Geoffry and he took the shot it went in 

“8 : 6!!” 

The games is tight in between. Habeeb becomes the commentator 

“Looks like between Team Maramin and Zugeo is really close-by, who could take the win” he looks excited, he really talk like those in the tv’s. 

Mar makes spin move, while faking the pass, and taken the shot, I miss and hit the backboard she shouted at Amin.

“Rebound, don’t take any chances!!” 

“OHHH!!” 

“Not a chance!!” 

Zuan hand instantly took the ball and pass directly to Geoffrey and he took a shot it went in 

“8 : 8” 

“Looks like its a tie!! Looks like team Maramin had to find ways to increase the gap again!!” 

“Honey, you going to take the score while I’ll make the pass got it” 

“Got it!!!” 

They fist pump. Really remind me of Natalie and me playing basketball together. Mar and Amin look tired but Zuan and Geoffrey still standing. 

“Allow me to show you city folk not to mess around with country BOYS!!” 

Zuan instantly dunk it 

“8 :10!!!” 

“Whoa!!! He rattle the hoop, the powerhouse of Zegeo team, ZUAN!!!!” 

Zuan showed his muscle to them. Mar is really fired up. Geoffrey takes the shot and its alley-oop to Zuan and he dunk it again.

“8 : 12!!” 

“Another power show from ZUAN!!!!” 

Looks like the others have arrived, its getting loud and now started to looked like a real competition. Teacher and Habeebs father is also here, she brought snacks and drinks. Looks like Mar had to find a ways to beat them, Geoffrey lay-up shot and another score for them. 

“8 : 14” 

Mar is holding Amin shoulder whispering to him. Amin smile, they instantly took the pass, Mar dribbles through them, and Zuan Geoffrey tried to block her, she did not have the ball, its a fake and Amin slam dunk and everyone went wild. 

“10 : 14” 

“What a MOVE!! That is sorcery, the magician MAR!!!!” 

“Yeah!!!” They high five. Geoffrey and Zuan is surprised and laugh.

“You go girl!!!” - Miria 

Mar showed v for victory to them. 

“Hey guys, don’t take city folks for granted!!” 

“OHH!!!” 

Geoffrey dribbles instantly been steal by Amin and he pass to Mariam, she took the shot, it went in perfectly. 

“12 : 14!!” 

“this what I called a match!!! Mar is on FIRE!!!” 

 Looks like team Zugeo is not tired yet I know Mar and Amin is reserving their energy. Arie arrived and he look really fired up. 

“Now this is fun!! Guy let us start making teams while they playing” 

Since Yan, Wanie, Miria, Kazui, Raj, Merlinder, Manuk, Bboy, Unie including Habeeb wanted to play as well. Merlinder, Miria and Unie does not want to play. They started the teams 

“Yan and Wanie - team Yawa, Kazui and Bboy - K-B, Manuk and Raj - team Rama, Habeeb and Arie - Team Air” 

I look between them started to get tired. The points now is 20 : 20 they tied. Mariam started to sweat a lot and Amin looks tired. While Zuan and Geoffrey just started to get tired. 

“Since Yan and Wanie here, they going for the win, let's show them we’re not pushover !!” They fist pump. Zuan shouted “OHHH!!!!” And he pointed at Yan and Wanie 

Geoffrey taken the shot and he went through 

“20 : 22!!! Few mins left!!” 

Amin slam dunk!! And its tied again 

“22 :22”

“Looks like the city folks is not going back now!!! Its tied again!! Its the final shot before the end time” 

Mar dribbles through but her sweaty hands slip the ball, and Geoffrey instantly took the ball, Amin block it and pass to Mar. she tried to take the shot. The timer is left within second. No one is taking it. 

“10, 9, 8 !!…” 

Mar taking the shot it been block by Zuan and it fumbles out, Amin manage to pass to Mar again, she take the shot but its a fake, she pass to Amin, Amin going for the dunk. 

Everyone cheer and shouted 

“Whoa!!!!” 

“7,6,5,4,3!!!…..” 

But fly-swat by Zuan. 

“2, 1 !!!…..” a whistle blows by Hana 

“Its a tie, not bad for city folks, look like team Zegeo had take the chin this through, both team qualified for the next round next will be team Axhaz vs Team Haar, go easy on them!!” 

Looks like its time for me and Hazlan to play against my little sister. They don’t know yet how good Hana is. Hana is 5’0 and Arman 5’1 but we are even because neither Arman and Hazlan played basketball yet. Looks like the parents arrived and mom arrived

“Looks fun, can we watch!?” 

“We going to have a competition!!” 

“Ohhh!! Now that’s interesting for a Sunday” 

Mariam parent have arrived as well. 

“Mom, Dad!!” 

“Faruq said they still in the honeymoon, well we will sent Amin and Arman back home” 

“Did you win?” 

“No its a tie… darn it but we qualified” 

Mariam’s dad announce to them 

“The championship will be rewarded by me, RM 500 for the winner, 2nd RM 250, 3rd RM100 sorry have not get anything yet” 

“You and your crazy ideas alright we’ll be going to sponsor family dinner later on in our resort after this!!”

Everyone cheered, while mom said to us 

“I’m going to make food for all wait up!!” Mom and Mariam mom, and teacher help them. 

But they don’t know about this game is heating up, I slam dunk the hoop and hang from there. Everyone is surprised 

“Holy shit!!, Alex dunk it!!” 

Hazlan could not believed it 

“That is over 6 feet!!” 

“Ohh we got a competition going now” 

“Hoo…that is insane…that is one strong jump” 

“SLAM DUNK!!!! ALEX IS NUTS!! LOOKS LIKE IS GOING TO INTERESTING!!!” 

Hana explain to Arman how to play, and I explain to Hazlan 

“Looks like this is a crash course, huh Haz?” 

Hazlan parents cheering him

“That’s my boy, he is finally out to the world!!!” 

He is crying…😅 but they haven’t seen Hana yet. What it means playing for the little champs championship in Arizona. 

Hana take the shot and it went through, everyone went wild 

“That CUTE HANA!!! SHE IS A SHOOTER!!!” 

I’m even impress with that

“I’m not going to lose, Big Brother!!” 

Arman is fired up but Hazlan looks nervous, I tried to calm him down

“Hey relax is just a game…” 

“But never had this kind of atmosphere before…” 

“You watch basketball before right like Slam Dunk?” 

“Yeah…”

“Just like that!! Keep pass the ball to me got it?”

“Alright!!” 

He smack his face, and now fired up, because once Hana playing is not a walk in the park. Mariam took a picture of us playing. Hana dribbles through me and Hazlan with her little body and makes a fake to pass to Arman. Hana disappeared from my sight and Hana took the shot it went in perfectly. 

“ 2 : 4!!!” 

“Whoa, that is not someone you mess around!!” 

“HANA!! beat you big brother!!!” 

I took the shot and it went in 

“4 : 4” 

The games heated on, this time Mariam is the commentator with Amin because Habeeb is warming up. Now is a festival in my house, with everyone but I liked it feels the place is vibrant. With the commotion a lot of people gather at moms house each parent join in. Our backyard is big enough for a small basketball game.  

For 5 mins the our points is 16 : 18 I’m losing this game though with Hana keeps on shooting from a far. I discuss with Hazlan the tactics because that is the only way I could beat Hana with her talents for shooting in basketball. 

“You know they will aim for me because I’m the one that taking the score but this time I’m going to let you do all the score this time.”

“But…?” 

“When are you going to experience it?” 

“Okay…but don’t get high hopes for me”

“Yeah just remember when watching Slam dunk” 

“Got it” 

I dribble through them, Hana is really good at it, blocking my path, trying to steal the ball from me. 

“Looks like Alex is bullying Hana, keep going Hana!! Don’t lose to that knuckle head!!” 

Stupid Mariam with her commentating, its sound one sided!! 

I pass to Hazlan everyone is surprised, he took the shot and miss it and hit his dad

“Don’t worry Hazlan keep going!!!” 

Nice!! Uncle keep encourage him!! I pull my fist. Hana instantly took from Hazlan and tried to shoot it, her rocket style shot is really something, there is no way in chance I could get it. Lucky I took a bit of it. It bounce of, Hana shouted at Arman 

“Rebound!!!” 

Arman took the ball and is one on one with Hazlan, Arman took the shot, it a crude way to shoot but it made it to hoop but it bounce back this time I took it, and pass to Hazlan 

“Shoot it!!” 

Hazlan takes the shot and it bounce back at the hoop, 

“Darn it, it looks easy on the anime” 

“Keep going, I’m going to supply you the chance..” 

“Alright…I’m not going to let it down….” 

Arman pass to Hana and take the shot, not on my watch, I manage to blocked her rocket style shot, and pass to Hazlan, he took the shot again, it bounce on the backboard. Hana and me shouted 

“Rebound!!” 

Arman and Hazlan hold it, Hazlan look struggling with Arman and Arman took it. 

“OHH!!! This is getting interesting looks like team Haar is going for win!!” 

“Looks like Alex going to make a different approach this time!!” 

They really good with their commenting, they like a team. I know I’m going to show my cards to everyone here, I’m going to make sure Hazlan take the score because if not he is not going to get experience. I steal the ball from Arman and pass to Hazlan, and I shouted 

“Aim at the box of the backboard!!” 

“Got it!!” 

It went in, everyone went wild

“18:18!!!”

“Whoa!!! Even nerdy Hazlan could score!! Not bad!!” 

“Got instant coaching from Alex himself” 

Now is getting easier, I keep going   

Arman and Hana begin to whisper to each other, and they played again, a skill that Hana observed from Mariam. And instantly the ball went in, that was fast. I could not believed it. 

“Whoa!! Talk about skill stealer!! Nice HANA!!!” 

“Now that’s improvement, looks like Alex is going struggle here” 

Yeah right. I pass to Hazlan and Hana instantly tried to steal, which Hazlan pull back and pass to me, I instantly dunk to the hoop. 

“20 :18!!” 

“Alex dunk it!! That is cheating!!” 

“That is a powerhouse wondering how are we going to beat him?” 

“Nope, he is just one man” 😏

Hazlan looked fired up and I pass to Hazlan, he took the shot and it went trough using the backboard. 

“22 :18!!” 

Hana counter it and she took the shot and it went through as well. 

“22 : 20”

“ 30 seconds left to play!!”

Hazlan tried to take the shot but Hana steal it from his hand she took the shot her secret move, back jump rocket shot!! The ball flew beyond my reach and it went through without touching the net. 

“22 : 22!!!!” 

Everyone went wild and Mariam shouted 

“Just like us!!! Who will win or lose!!!!!” 

“Maybe a tie like us”

Everyone shouted “19,18,17,16…….15,14, 13,12,11,10…”

Hazlan lost the ball and Arman took it, I steal the ball and I dribble quickly towards it, Hana is from behind blocking me and trying to steal it. I run towards it!! 

“9,8,7,6,5,4,3……..2…1….”

I slam dunk it. And the count is “24:22” 

“Buzzer beater!!!!” 

Hana said to Arman 

“Nice play sorry though, I really can’t beat big brother…” 

Arman was amaze to see to the point fallen for her. 

“Looks like the bullies won the match, it’s wasn’t match after all, but give all round of applause to Hana and Arman!!”

“Oi!!” I applause to Hana, while Hana and Arman blush, Mariam took a picture during the moment. 

The next game consist of teams that had been arrange. Team K-B lost against team Yawa 16 : 24;  the next team is interesting between Team Air vs Team Rama. Raj and Manuk both are giants 5’11 and 5’10, while Arie is 5’7 but Habeeb is 6’0. Mariam commenting it

“This is battle of the giants!! Between senior citizens vs the youth!!” 

“Oi we’re not that old!!!”😅 Both of them

“Hahahaha looks like the senior citizen had some energy left from having some verbal jousting!!” 

Mariam didn’t hold back 😓 

The game started with Manuk jumps to slam dunk. Only been block by Habeeb and he shouted 

“That prize is mine for the taking!!”

“OOooo, the senior citizen is excited over some money here!!” 

“Oi!!” Everyone laugh 

Arie took it, as usual he use his speed and manoeuvre to dribble pass the two and he lay up. Looking at me he pointed at me and smile. I knew he wanted to challenge me. I ask Mariam who is our next opponent is actually this match-up, that win will challenge us. Raj take the shot and it went in 

“2 : 2!!” 

“Looks like the senior citizen is tie with them, go easy on them youth!!” 

“Oi!!!” Everyone laugh again, this is like a comedy show. 

Raj going on the attack and showing his skill in lay up he missed it by a mile it flew off and knock on spectators head. 

“Fuck!!” 

“Language!! We got children here!! Seems our youth is going bad”

She is seriously annoying, pissing off both of them. Arie makes the pass to Habeeb, and he dunk it and the board rattle. 

“2 : 4!!” 

“Wow, that old man could dunk, I’m impressed” 

“I’m just 20 you know!!” 

“We going to let you know that he is available please contact her mother…” 

“Mother!!” Her mom and dad laugh. Now become an advert promoting for his son.  

Manuk took the shot and it hit the backboard. Manuk shouted 

“Rebound!!” 

Raj and Habeeb challenge together in terms of height. Both holding the ball while in air. They challenge in power which Habeeb is stronger. Habeeb pass to Arie and lay-up elegantly.

“2 : 6!!” 

Raj tried to pass to Manuk but was taken by Arie and he pass to Habeeb and he dunk it.

“2 : 8!!”

“This is between boys and men!! Come on boys show them the power of youth!!!”

Habeeb and Arie focus looking at them. While Raj and Manuk felt the pressure. Raj then pass to Manuk, waiting for Arie to aim at him, but Raj was block by Habeeb. This is all about strength and endurance. But after 5 mins the points showed a difference by 8 : 20. 

With constant point comment shooting by Mariam, team Rama is losing. I meet them, and showed them another method in countering them. This time, their approach is range. Which something team Air is lacking, Raj pass to Manuk and he took a shot, it went in. 

“10 : 20!!”  

 “Hooo, this is getting interesting!!” 

Arie dribbles through but was block by Raj and Manuk. He could not find space in between. And he throw higher only been caught by Manuk and he pass to Raj, pass after pass they took a lay-up and score. 

“12 : 20!!” 

“Wow seems coach Alex teach them something” 

Raj then continued to same method and they keep on scoring until reaching the 1 min left. Their score is 18 : 20, Mariam is getting excited. 

“Wow this getting a close game. But the time is short. Arie tried to shoot only been block again with no space left behind.” 

Arie then take the shot, only been bounce back, Arie shouted 

“Rebound!!” 

Habeeb tried to dunk only been block by the two. He felt the pressure and pass to Arie, Arie tried to dunk it. But Manuk jumps again, and fly swat by Manuk. Everyone went wild. It is still late morning. But the event is getting intense, with the difference between them is 2 points. Team Air is on the defensive. Team Rama intensified the attack with constant shooting and rebounds. 

Everyone cheering team Rama and Air. Time is really short now leaving 20 seconds left. Raj then tried bulldoze through, “foul!!” Whistle by Hana. A free shot for Habeeb. While Habeeb was aiming at the shot, Raj and Manuk looking at him making funny faces. He misses the shot. 

“It seems that he need glasses to shoot” 

“Oi!!” He face turns red. Everyone laugh. 

Raj instantly speed through and passing them off guard. And Manuk dunk it!! He score and its a tie. 

“20 : 20!!” 

“Its a tie!!! What it will be team air or team Rama who will take it!!!” 

Manuk and Raj were overjoy with the tie, but Arie is no where to be found, we shouted at them. Only to see the timing left 5 seconds. 

“4,….3…..2,…..1” Arie slam dunk and they lost the game. A mere seconds they forgot the timing. 

“20 :22!!” 

“Team Air win by narrow timing, talk about intense. Nice game for the losing team. Better luck next time!!” 

Manuk and Raj give themselves high five. 

“You lucky that we just distracted…”

“Nice game…” 

The first slot of the game have already complete and Mom called us to rest. Mariam called everyone

“So that is for the 1st quarter after refreshment from Puan Mas and her team, we will continue with the semi finals and finals of the game who will take the championship!!” 

Everyone cheered. 

Mariam meet me 

“This is a lot of fun…we really enjoyed it, but I never expected Hana is that good!!” 

“Yeah she was once, represent the national elementary basketball all girls team” 

“Wow….that is some talent” 

She head towards Hana and she give her a high five. Hana smile at least we enjoyed the weekend. Me and Hazlan discuss about our next match against Team Air. But team Maramin vs Team Yawa start first. The our match is after them. I had to teach Hazlan another crash course, which is dribbling. But Hazlan had a knack for catching up. Arie and Habeeb also warming up, look at that they really going to beat us if I don’t make sure Hazlan is not affected by them. A difference in power plus height not even one of us is higher than them. But at least I had experience during my high school in USA playing with school team. Not like I had never experience against taller players. Looks like I’m going all out this time, no playing soft this time. 

“Haz, you need to practice the dribbling only, and passing to me, just focus your shot avoiding the rebound. We don’t stand a chance against them. Mariam and Amin is preparing against the duo as well, brothers and sister, Yan and Wanie. They are about 5’5 at the same height only the difference Yan is faster. Wanie is smarter. We going big this time Haz..”

“Alright!!” Hopefully he doesn’t fainted against them. 

Maramin vs Yawa starts now. With a bang, Amin slam dunk it.

“2 : 0!!”  

“What a way to start the show!!”

“Honey!!”

“OHH!!” High five

Yan speeds up in front while Wanie take the shot from the above like Hana. It bounce back at the hoop. 

“Rebound!!” 

Amin confidently hold back Yan only see Yan suddenly over turn him, back and he regain the rebound. Amin is surprised and Yan took back to Wanie who is in range. She shoot it and went in. 

“2 : 2!!” 

“A counter to team Yawa!!” Habeeb

“Not bad….”

“They not even talking to each other talk about chemistry” 

“They are brothers and sister” 

“Well then let us not hold back then!!” 

Mar took the shot and its been block by Wanie, Yan took it and he takes a long range shot it went in 

“2 : 4!!” 

“Trailing behind it seems!! The twins is leading the way!!” 

Amin this time started it, Yan blocking the way, Amin could not move anywhere. Amin fake shot and pass to Mar which she took it and been block by Wanie again. 

“Dammit, she is slick!!” 

She pass to Yan and he took the shot again, Amin block it. Its a fakey, he did not take the shot and dribble pass to Amin he lay up and it went into the basket. 

“2 :6!!” 

“Come on team Maramin you got to do better than that!!” 

“Kukuku, they are playing hard ball, come on Honey let do our move!!” 

“OHH!! Got it!!” 

Mar played the passing game, pass after pass to each other until they confuse which one and they both block Mar which she smile. Amin took it and dunk it. 

“4 : 6!!”

“Now that’s the team we want to see!!” 

During the 5 mins match the score is close to a tie 16 : 16 ; they not even giving out chances. Mar use the height advantage of Amin to take the score while Mar coordinate the attacks. Yan and Wanie focus on shoot from range. It’s an intense match between the which they are evenly match. I could see Mar is not fooling around. Arie is observing them as well. Team Maramin are already tired from the intense match between them, Team Yawa is also tired. Both on the defensive, tried to find an opening. Mar suddenly smack her own face and smack Amin back 

“We going Texas this time!!”

“OHH!!” 

Mar went all out, the attack, her movement intensify she lay-up and went in. 

“18 : 16!!” 

Amin shoot from a far and it went in

“20 :16!!” 

Yan shoot it and it went in 

“20 : 18!!” 

Mar attack and does a fake shot doing the alley-oop, Amin slam dunk

“22 : 18!!” 

“Looks like game set for team Maramin!! Time is left one minute!!”

Wanie does the rocket shot and it went in 

“22 : 20!!”

“They not giving up yet !!!!” 

Yan does the fake shot again, and Wanie took the shot and Mar block it, Wanie pass to Yan, Yan break through Amin defence and Amin push Yan and he fall down. Hana whistle “foul!!” 

“A penalty shot!!” 

Yan take the shot, it went in 

“Tie 22 :22!!!”

“10 seconds left!!” 

Mar took the ball Yan and Wanie block them, Mar copy Hana shot but it did not reach the hoop, Yan and Wanie forgot that Amin is at behind and Alley-oop Amin Dunk it. 

“24:22!!! Winner team Maramin!!!” 

“What a game!!! We have here” 

Everyone shout out and cheer with the two teams. Both shake hands 

“Nice game Mar, you did great”

“So do you I have to use my wit to beat you guys!!” 

Now is our teams turn. Mariam is tired and the one that take over is unexpectedly is Amin’s dad

“The next team between David vs Goliath!!! Team Axhaz vs Air!!” 

The sheer difference in our size show it. Hazlan is getting nervous just by looking at them. I’m smiling because I love challenges especially in this sport. 

“About time, we going head to head” 

Whistle blown by Hana  

Instantly Arie and Habeeb block me. While Hazlan is surprised, there no room in between no even tried to throw. 

“Ooo!! Seems like two guys is head to head with Alex while Hazlan is looking for a space in between” 

Shit!! They good!! I had no room to pass to Hazlan. I had no choice but to throw vertically in hoping hitting the hoop. Shit the two is really glue with me. 

“Since you are threat with you goal scoring ability, while Hazlan is new in this game. What it will be?” 

“Nice but we won’t get any scores soon…” 

Shit they really are going to tire me out. Hazlan caught it and he shoot it, the big hand of Habeeb block his view. Scaring the poor guy out of his misery. 

“Alex I can’t do it”

“Don’t pass to me!! Just shoot it” 

Hazlan takes the shot only been block by Habeeb instantly. I manage to pull away from Arie and took the ball away while taking the shot from a hard angle. It went in. 

“2 : 0!!”

“Nice move!! Alex is currently the top player here in this competition!!” 

That is just another thing went they on the offensive. Sheer power, just dunk it. 

“2 :2!!” 

“Slam DUNK!! Goes to the Habeeb!!!”

Basketball is all about physical, if you don’t have that you don’t stand a chance. When its my turn they continued that move again. 

“Seems that tactic work!!” 

“Alex seems powerless to breakthrough!!” 

Shit gotta have to use that move I used in the states. Something that Natalie taught me when we one on one together. I fake the shot, and speeds through making them followed me a bit farther from Hazlan, which I took a shot (fake) is pass through to Hazlan and he makes the shot. It went in. Hazlan is getting better at this. He shouted 

“Uhhh!!!!” 

“ 4 : 2!!” 

“Hazlan scores he scores!!! Go for it for our school rep SIGMA academy!!!” 

“That’s my boy!!!” His father cried😭

 “We have to change method again, looks like that kid is a shooter”

“Yeah but what about Alex, you know that he is really good” 

“I got a plan” 

Seems that had another plan in their sleeves. But I gotta show what is playing with one of the best team in Arizona is. I pass to Hazlan and he took the shot, I run towards the ball where Arie took it, I steal from him, and pass to Hazlan while Hazlan knows to fake, he pass to me. I took the shot and it went in. 

“6 : 2!!” 

“Looks like team Axhaz is leading the way.”

Tiring them out is the only way now, except Habeeb who is a soldier. Arie however is not. I gotta make sure he is tired. I intensify my movement like I always played with Natalie or Damien. I took the shot it went in again. 

“8 : 2!!”

“It seems the senior citizen is slowing now!!” 

“Oi!!” 

That’s not funny Mar,😓

“Team Air need to find ways to beat Alex, he’s on fire now.” 

I manage to break through Arie and Habeeb I slam dunk it. 

“10 :2!!” 

“Oooo nice dunk!!! Alex is the star of the show today!!” 

Arie took a different method which he shoot from a far and alley-oop by Habeeb and he slam dunk it. 

“ITS A GORILLA DUNK!!!!!” 

“OI!!! I’m not a gorilla!!!” 

He getting agitated with Mariam tease again. He going to become like a gorilla like this. 

“10 : 4!!” 

There is not a chance Hazlan could block him down. He is just huge. They came back their rhythm and started gaining on us. I tried to increase my pace, but the sheer size of Habeeb is blocking it. I manage to weave through and lay-up my shot. 

“12 : 4!!” 

“Nice trick move!!” 

Hazlan is really tired now against Arie. They know the team weakness. Until the 5 mins run the result is now 14 : 14 a tie. Constant dunking by Habeeb makes Hazlan scared of him. I ask him to run forward where Arie is following him, while Habeeb is blocking me. I pass through him, and speed through Arie tried to block me I fake him, and pass to Hazlan, he took the shot and it went in. 

“16 : 14!!” 

“Now is getting intense!” 

“We going to see another gorilla dunk after this!!” 

“Don’t forget!! We going to reserved our energy against another team, they choose us Zugeo team” 

“Got it!!” 

I change my pace this time, because I need to play another game. I instantly change my pace again and I took the shot it went in. 

“18 :14!!” 

“Alex is on fire now!!!” 

“His focus is against them." 

Seeing Arie look tired is the chance I have waited. I took the shot again in went in 

“20 :14!!” 

Arie look really tired. Hazlan has just regain his energy back. At least my concern is Habeeb. I make a pass to Hazlan and he took it, and it went in. 

“22:14!!” 

“The game is about to be over. But we waiting for any comebacks from team Air…” 

I smile at them, while Habeeb said to me

“You know kid, I know you strong”

“ You too…” 

I take the shot from a far it went in. Everyone silent. I sent a message to Zuan. 

“24 :14!! Winner team Axhaz!!” 

“Whoa, no mercy from team Axhaz!!”

Arie was really tired, 

“You’re a madman, no wonder you never get tired during our jungle trip. But I like it, good game”

I shake his hand 

“You good as well, including Habeeb” 

“Yeah, never had this fun since ages, gotta do this activity next time again!!” 

“Yeah after this futsal”

“Yeah next time!!” 

We rest a bit for the semi finals against Zugeo. 

Hazlan look nervous again, but he said to me

“This is really fun never knew playing with friend is this fun.”

“Yeah!!” 

“Looks like the unexpected team Axhaz has reach the semi finals which they had another team to fight against is team Zugeo!! Let see if Alex stamina had it before the finals!!” 

I look at Zuan, I know he is good at it, he does play when in Canada. While Geoffrey is good at it. They looked at me and said to me 

“Since you beat the team we wanted to beat but now is your turn!!” 

The game started during the 5 mins, we manage to reach a score of 16 : 12 which is unexpected by them. Hazlan took most of the shot. It went in 

“18 :12!!” 

“Team Axhaz is getting good, I wonder how are we going to beat them?” 😒

“Mar, this is all about the sports!!” 

Amin’s father and Mar makes a good team. 

They look tired even though they had rest longer than any of us. Geoffrey takes the shot and it went in. 

“18 : 14!!”

“Geoffrey is showing a glimpse of his ability compared against us” 

“Axhaz has an ace that is why, even Hazlan is really good”

I pass to Hazlan and he pass to me again. They both block me, leaving no space behind. Zuan steal the ball and pass to Geoffrey and he dribbles to the hoop while Hazlan is blocking him. It went in. Hana whistle 

“Foul!!” 

“Hey! That’s not a foul”

“Obstruction!! Hazlan makes the wrong entry”

“Ceh…”

“Looks like Alex is arguing with the referee, come on Alex!!” 

Geoffrey take the penalty shot it went in 

“18:16!!”

“This is getting interesting!!”

I pass to Hazlan but seems they look to make Hazlan to foul. Hazlan pass to me, Geoffrey steal the ball. And he lay-up, it went in. 

“18 : 18!!”

“Its a tie, time is now at 2 Mins who will take the win!!” 

“Team Zugeo is getting back their rhythm!!” 

Zuan took the chance and pass to Geoffrey while he pass to Zuan and dunk it

“18 : 20!!”

“Whoa!!!! Team Zugeo is leading!” 

Hazlan said to me

“Hey I’m going to trick them, making sure they mark me”

“Got it..”

I pass the ball to Hazlan, he dribbles through and Geoffrey and Zuan block him thinking that he is going for the shot, both jumps and he makes a pass below their legs and pass to me 

“Nice pass!!” 

I dunk it, 

“20:20!!”

“Nice assist from Hazlan!!” 

“Are you sure he is not good in basketball!?” 

“That is my boy!!! I knew you had in you!!” His dad cried again 😭

They on the defence and I could not pass through not even Hazlan. I’m not sure if this move Hana knows about but let's find out. I make a fake travel, on the last step is dribble through and manage to pass through both of them, I jump to the hoop they still blocking me, I made a pass to Hazlan where he’s got a clear shot. He shoot it and it went in. 

“22 : 20!!”

“Whoa!!!! Hazlan is on fire!!!” 

Everyone went wild. Arie then approach Zuan and guiding them. Time is now 50 seconds, Geoffrey dribbles through and he lay up but I block him. Its a fake and pass back to Zuan where he makes the slam dunk. 

“Boom!!” 

“22 : 22!!”

“SLAM DUNK IS ANOTHER GORILLA DUNK!!!! COMPLIMENTS FROM HABEEB!!” 

“OI!!!” 

Time is now at 20 seconds, not another buzzer beater. 

“Haz…”

“Yeah…”

“Want to know why I like this sport?”

“Sure…”

“Watch…just watch…” 

Looks like I have pull my cards that I have played during a match in Arizona. Which I have scored a lot of time. Hazlan pass to me as usual they block me both. While I pass through them they make to block me again, but I just head towards the basket, they were surprised by this. I did not pass to Hazlan. I run straight towards the basket. I had flashback when I played in the nationals while Natalie is the cheer leader cheering for me. 

“10, 9, 8, 7, 6 ,5, 4, 3,…….”

Everyone is excited to see this. I jumps and make the micheal Jordan style of lay-up. Tricking them, almost near outbound and shoot from the back. And it went in. 

“2, 1!!!!!” 

“24 : 22!!! Winner team Axhaz!!!”

“What an amazing skill, where on earth you learn skill, that Micheal Jordan style!!” 

Hazlan and me give a high five.

“We win!!!”

“Yeah!!!” 

“Nice game, never knew you had that move.”

“thanks…I like this sport”

“Well you do…”

“This come sick moves there, teach me how to do it will ya?”

“Okay?…”

Someone unexpected is here as well is Mr Rahman. He is smiling at me and talking to mom. I wonder if mom knows Mr Rahman.

“Never expected it turns into a sunday match event, not bad Mariam…” 

“Well this look fun, it I was getting excited about it” 

“Yeah, have fun today I’m not the principal just the guess of the day” 

Dad is here as well, with his second wife. I just ignored them. The finals will start in 1 hour from now. Hazlan is meeting with his parents, his dad meet me. 

“You Alex, ever since you become his friend. He never stop talking about you, now he is always in the living room, then I heard you went for a jungle trekking right?”

“Yeah…”

He is crying again with Hazlan mom. 

“Thank you Alex”

“uhh.. yeah…glad of a help”😅

Someone is here as well. Our house is like an open house, I meet mom what is going on and she said 

“Since everyone here, Mariam Mom suggest why not make a family gathering, she has already called catering and her dad is getting trophy’s for the competition…”

“……”😅

That is something, from just for fun suddenly become an event. Looks like Mariam’s Dad has prepared sports jersey for us. This is dope, this is really now a competition. Anything for Mar huh. Hana meet me

“Big brother, dad is here with that woman…”

“Don’t worry about it okay, if not you hang around with me or mom or even teacher okay?” 

“Got it..”

“You the referee!!” 

“Yep!!” ☺️

The finals is about to start, Hana already run towards the pond (basketball self made court) suddenly someone hugged me from behind. I felt her boobs. Don’t tell me😨. 

“Darling…..”

Oh shit!! Its Sylvia with her family!! Our house is now full with people. Slyvia’s dad invited some of the police friend to watch the game. We suddenly had a projector, videos from our previous match just now. Wow this is getting vibrant. Melissa and her boyfriend join as well. 

“Hey Alex, looks like you having fun, next time invite me!!” 

Don’t tell that Mar. Mariam called me

“Sorry Alex, mom and dad get carried away!! 😖

“Oh nah…you what Mar…I’m glad you my friend” 

Mariam hugged me

“That’s what besties do!!” 

Amin hugged me as well.

Hazlan look in disgust 😨

“Don’t you hug me!!” 

Amin hugged him

“Hey our match is last this is for the 3rd place Team Zugeo vs Team Air” 

“That’s looks interesting” 

Everyone join to see the game. 

We hear shouting from the basketball court. 

Zuan aiming at Habeeb, while Geoffrey aiming at Arie

“Its time…”

“Yeah, we finally going to settle the score…” 

Amin’s dad and Mr Rahman is the commentator

“Yeah this is match for the 3rd place but its seem the both side is looking for blood!!” 

Yan explain that Geoffrey and Zuan is actually rivals with Arie in sports. Arie just graduate in secondary school is the star player for all of the sports in their school. Its no wonder Arie is that good. 

 Mariam is setting a camera with a phone line. I ask her 

“What is that?” 

“To let someone see us” 

“Really…”

“Yep” 

The match starts and it goes with a bang again, Zuan slam dunk the basket 

“Boom!!!” 

“A slam DUNK from giant!!” 

“Oii!!!” Everyone laugh

“2 : 0!!” 

Habeeb dunk it as well it goes with a bang

“Boom!!” 

“ANOTHER DUNK!!!” 

Everyone excited. Arie fist pump with Habeeb. Geoffrey makes the shot only been block by Habeeb. Habeeb take the ball and pass to Arie where he take the shot and it went in 

“2 : 2!!” 

“Nice play from team Air!!” 

Geoffrey dribbles through and pass to Zuan and he pass back to Geoffrey they look for space to take the shot. But Habeeb stand close to the basket makes it impossible. Arie manage to block two of the at once. Sylvia shouted 

“Go Geoffrey!!” 

“Hey cousin go!!” 

Geoffrey is actually Sylvia’s cousin, Geoffrey makes his move by tricking Arie and Habeeb block it but he did not attempt to shot rather he makes a pass to Zuan and he dunk it. 

“ALLEY-OPPP!!!!” 

‘NICE PLAY FROM ZUAN!!! AND GEOFFREY!!!” 

“4 :2!!” 

Arie step up his move and pass to Habeeb and he tried to shoot, only to see Raj and Manuk makes funny faces again. He misses off the backboard. Habeeb looks embarrassed. Arie smack his back. 

“Focus!!” 

 Arie makes the shot and it went in

“4 : 4!!” 

Habeeb shouted at Raj and Manuk and smile at them. Raj and Manuk laugh. Zuan makes the pass to Geoffrey and he shoots it went in 

“6 : 4” 

“This is a race for who is a better scorer!!”

Arie took the shot and it went in again. 

“6 : 6!!”

Zuan pass the ball only to be steal by Habeeb and he using his sheer strength to mow them down and he dunk it. 

“6 : 8!!”

Zuan replied it back with a slam dunk 

“8 : 8!!” 

It goes on until the last 3 mins and the score is 18 :18 constant dunking I hope that pole holds. Arie does the unexpected he copied my move. He dunk it as well. He smile at me and pointed at me. Talk about showing off. Geoffrey back shot and it went in the score is now at 20 : 20. 

“Its head to head!!” 

Arie pass to Habeeb and Zuan steal the ball and pass to Geoffrey and he shoot and its a fake and pass to Zuan and he lay up. It went in.

“22:20!!”

“Time is now 1 min!!” 

 Habeeb instantly countered it and he slam dunk

“22:22!!” 

Arie smile with confidence

“We are not going to let our juniors beat us!!” 

“Ohh!!!!” 

Its constant blocking and neither of them had a chance to score. Zuan jumps and shoot the ball it hit the rim. 

“Rebound!!!” 

Arie and Geoffrey jumps to rebound, only by a touch of a finger the ball bounce back and Zuan and Habeeb jumps to rebound, Zuan takes the ball and he dunk it, Habeeb fly swat it back. 

“10,9,8,7,6!!…..”

Time move close is intense, Geoffrey take the ball and he shoot it. It flew

5,4,3,2,1”

The ball miss and it bounce at the rim

“Times UP!!!” Preet!! 

“Its a tie!!! Looks like they are 3rd champions!! Way to go both teams!!” 

“One win, 1 lost and 1 draw not bad….”

“Darn 2 draws and 1 lost darn….” 

Looks like is our turn for the finals. 

Sylvia hugged Geoffrey 

“Not bad cousin!!” 

“Stop hugging me!!” 😅

“Not bad!!”

“Yeah compared to you, you unstoppable…good luck on your next match”

“Yeah thanks…” 

“Hazlan you great!!” 

Geoffrey high five Hazlan, he smile 

“Haz lets do this”

“oHH!!” 

Team Maramin vs Team Axhaz 

With our jersey there. 

Arie and Habeeb is proud having that jersey. 

“Juara kampung!! Hahahahahaa” 

“Shut it!!” 

Mariam and Amin looking confident, I also is fine while Hazlan said to me

“This is it, but its really fun hanging with you, I had that feeling…”

“Yeah, well then lets have fun..”

“Yeah”

We fist pump. We starts our finals

0