Epigraph- Sanctuary of Hollow Victory
618 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have won, but at what cost?

The final incursion has been repelled, but with it virtually all life on this earth was extinguished. 

The Overgod himself arrived to announce me the victor and god of the new world, but what's the point? All my comrades, loved ones, everyone I have ever known had been swallowed by the darkness. All I have been able to preserve was the ground I was standing on, floating in an endless void.

I was able to turn this speck of land into a livable space, with an artificial sun, running water and even breathable air. It was easily arranged thanks to all the power I have amassed.

Next was the creation of graves for my comrades. There were too many of them, and their bodies were swallowed up along with the universe, but all I had was time and the power of a god. I recreated my comrades' bodies and laid them to rest. I recreated their weapons and made them into headstones. Here lies Brandon, who stood by me as we faced the Herald of Demise. Here lies Heath, whose sacrifice allowed us to overcome the Gaping Maw. Here lies the Morris Twins, who stood in the face of the Faceless Legion, allowing us to escape. Here lies Eunice, whose ingenuity carried humanity through the Longest Night and into the morning. Here lies Emily, whose spear struck the Demon Lord's heart as decisively as her love struck my own… Countless graves, countless miracles brought about by human hands to stave off extinction, and yet it was all for naught.

Every hero's death brought me forward, pushing my blade through the very neck of the Abyss.

With the work finally done, I have begun to settle down, resolved to live out the rest of my immortal life tending to this memorial. That is, until the Overgod arrived once again. He offered me solace, a chance to live in a new universe he had created. My achievements have given me godlike abilities of my own, ones that I must leave here in order to go through the doorway.

I am tired. I will not take my own life out of respect to those who fought to preserve it, but I can no longer abide by my present circumstances. I have since laid down my godhood and travelled to another earth, where I hope to live the rest of my days in peace, until death finally takes me to the arms of my beloved.

If anyone is reading this, I welcome you to the Sanctuary of Hollow Victory. It is a monument to my failure, a grim reminder of what an ocean of noble blood could afford.

If you're human, I commend you for being able to find this space. You are welcome to stay as long as you need to, provided you do not disturb my friends' rest. If you are a god, then I welcome you to do the same. In addition, I pray your own comrades survived your ascension. If somehow you're the devil I've slain, then look behind the shed and you will see a well. That is the doorway to my home in another universe. Come see me, if you dare.

15