2
137 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

His brain refused to come to terms with reality. 

In a desperate ploy to retain his sanity, he tried and failed to recall his last memory before finding himself within his current predicament.

Recklessly removing the armour from his body, releasing and unbuckling every strap and belt he could see, causing the plates to fall. He finally caught sight of his body, his usual toned-muscles were missing, his healthily-tanned skin was completely pale, and having finally thrown off his gauntlets he quickly groped and felt out his own face to find it skinny and bony. 

Using the iron sword's flat surface as a mirror, he gasped in horror as a boy foreign to him stared right back.

Hyperventilating, as his mind ran through numerous possibilities and theories as to why he was someone else, Melody continued to embrace the young-boy as her tears fell upon death-ears.

Having tried and failed to stop Artemis from his state of panic, she resorted to something she herself found shocking. She backhanded him across his bony-cheeks, snapping him out of his murky-thoughts before placing and closing his fingers around the sword's handle.

 

"Remember who you are my lord. You are a member of house Dignitas, through life and death, you show only dignity and honour in all wakes of life."

Seeing him raise his gaze, as the confusion and anxiety attack subsided, his eyes clearing of its clouds.

"Remember, Artemis, you are a hunter. You aren't as weak as they say you are, I believe in you. So please believe in the I that believes in you, and prove to the world, just how powerful and mighty you can be!"

 

"W-wait, do me a favour and explain to me, why exactly are they attacking us? Pretend I'm stupid, and that I'm suffering from memory-loss, leave nothing."

 

Glad that her lord was finally making an effort to face reality, Melody the maid began her explanation whilst trying to place the armour back upon his body. As after all, they were still under attack, and even a stray arrow could sever the string of life.

 

"You apparently took a fancy to house Sona's daughter, Rebecca Sona, who is the fiancé of Justin Nowen. The two baronies together colluded to accuse you of attempting to rape her. Taking such actions as an insult to their house, honour and pedigree, Baron Alexandria, father of Justin Nowen, has sent his soldiers to attack us, the ones you see down below.

Your father, baron Nicholas, in return positioned you here at his castle to defend the honour in which you yourself supposedly stained.

And whilst everyone else, the men below who had been sent with you, sees this as punishment. My lord, I see this as a blessing in disguise, you have a great opportunity to prove yourself in the eyes of many. Hence, I implore you to take it, show how incredible you really are!"

 

"Screw me! Either this body's owner is a piece of crap rapist-pervert. Or I'm actually stuck cleaning up a mess that has nothing to do with me."

 

[Artemis Dignitas: Lvl 1]
[Title: Useless Trash]
[Skills unlocked:]

[N/A]

 

"W-why does she believe in me so much when I'm literally hot-garbage?" "Alright, give me a moment to think."

Artemis walked on over, circling around the stone-tower that housed the stairs. Out of sight from the woman, he leaned sat upon the rear-side wall, away from the fighting and shouting, he settled the worms within his guts, as well as his mind.

"I still don't believe it, but... I was sent to another world?"

 

Before his thoughts could continue any further, a small grappling-hook flew up and latched upon the stone-wall. Evidently, it was either an intruder or an enemy. As such, Artemis took deep breaths, as he steeled his heart and nerves. Creeping over towards the wall with sword in hand. Whilst he didn't relish in the idea of murder, in no form or capacity did he desire to have his head stuck upon a pike, like the men down below.

The instant he saw a dirt-covered hand latch onto the stonewall, as well as the hood-covered face that peeked on over, his iron-sword was sent punching through the man's neck. Failing to hold the weapon properly, as he lacked the necessary muscles to wield it, Artemis winced as his clutched his right-wrist, which was assaulted with pain as he had twisted it.

As for the intruder, his body fell limp as both the sword and his clothing caught onto the wall and the sharp-hook, hanging him there like a wet laundry. The expression upon his face, forever rigid in a showing of shock and disbelief.

Seeing the crimson red liquid squirt and pool towards his leather boots, Artemis could only stand there in a daze as he had taken his first life.

 

Melody, who was secretly peeking on her lord, diligently ran on over, pulling the corpse over and onto the wall to examine his identity.

Having patted down the man, who was dressed like a rogue, she sighed in relief before sharing her findings.

 

"You can rest easy, this is no assassin, but just a bandit or a looter, seeking fortune in your misfortune... You did well to kill him, because if you hadn't I'm sure he would've tried to silent you..."

 

Looking at the grappling hook, and the rope that led down and into the bushes. Artemis felt greatly tempted to simply escape into the night.

However, a little message within his eyes was encouraging him otherwise.

 

[Artemis Dignitas: Lvl 1->2]
[Title: Useless Trash]
[Skills unlocked:]

[Beginner Swordsmanship]
5% boost in One Handed Sword damage

 

His heart beat and drummed with adrenaline, as his rationality was challenged, and a new surging belief started to bloom within his heart. 

"I- I think I can do it..." "Melody, tell me. This house, whatever that house is down there that's attacking us. Do they care as much as my family does, about honour and dignity?"

"House Nowen, my lord. And yes, as we are currently living within the gaze of the holy heavens, honour and dignity are really important values all noble houses must hold dear and adhere to."

"Good to know..."

 

Yanking his sword back out, wiping it upon the man's hood, and helping himself to the iron dagger, Artemis moved on to find the door to the stairs sealed. As such, he ignored Melody's curious gaze as he pulled up the grappling hook, and nervously walked onwards towards the screaming and shouting.

 

"Oi! With honour, dignity, and honour! I challenge your leader!" Artemis made his declaration loud and clear, as the cheering and roaring for bloodlust faded into silence, before quickly erupting once more as laughter.

"Lord... Leader is more for bandits and monsters. Please refer to their head of command as either captain or head-knight." Melody whispered, trying her utmost to guide him in his intentions and endeavours. Whilst also delivering a certain piece of information that sent cold-shivers down his back.

 

"Monsters? Huh!?"

 

 

 

 

 

A lone knight, dressed in honours and armour that outshined his companions stepped out of the crowd. Theatrically bowing, he addressed the young-boy who had balls big enough to issue a noble-challenge.

 

"I knight Timothy, loyal sword to house Nowen accepts your challenge!"

Raising both arms up, turning and smiling to his men, a round of applause, jeering and laughter filled the area. Bets were made and exchanged as copper coins quickly pooled up, whilst waiting for their target to deliver himself upon a silver-plate like a roast-pig.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

..

 

 

 

 

 

 

Melody tightly held onto Artemis' arm. Her eyes pleading as they were filled with worry and joy. Worried about his health and life, whilst greatly joyed that he would be brave enough to personally fight. Finally emerging out of his shell of sloth and weakness.

"A-are you sure about this my lord?"

 

"I got this. Trust me." 

7