Chapter 9: Their Choices
498 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Side 2 Hatte, Colony 9, UC 0073, May 22nd:

Miorine POV:

Finishing up the last bit of my schoolwork I stretched my arms into the air.

Giving myself a congratulations for a job completed.

Once I did this I placed all my work away.

Then as soon as I did so I heard my mother call to me.

"Mio, dinner!" She said.

"Coming." I cried back.

I then slipped on my slippers and left my room.

Arriving downstairs I took my place at the table. While my mom brought out the food.

Meanwhile dad arrived just a few minutes after me.

Once he was seated and mom finished her preparations we all dug in.

Me especially, since tonight mom cooked one of my favorites.

Bratwurst.

A traditional food from her home country of Germany on Earth.

I've never been there, but I hope to go one day.

As dinner progressed we made small talk as usual.

Dad talked about his work, mom talked about the new musical piece she was composing, and I talked about school. Until eventually we were all done with the meal.

"Good as always honey." My father said.

"Thank you dear." Mom said.

"Yes, thanks mom." I said. I then took a deep breathe and exhaled. "Mom, dad, there is something important I need to discuss with you both." I spoke.

As soon as I did so both of them directed their gazes toward me.

"Yes Mio, what is it?" My mom asked.

"I've decided. I want to go and study at the Flanagan Institute." I spoke.

After Slaine informed me about the potential of my newtype abilities at the beginning of the month I immediately informed my parents. Despite the fact I was a bit scared they would see me differently since I was basically a psychic human.

However my worries were for not.

The two of them simply hugged me and said they would support whatever decision I made.

Which I have finally come to.

From what Slaine has told me during our conversations he's learned from Dr. Flanagan that newtypes will begin appearing more and more in the future.

Which means there will be more people just like him and me, and I'm not naïve enough to think they will all be accepted by their families like Slaine and I are, or by society in general.

That's why I've decided to work to gain control over my powers, so I can support those people who will appear in the future. As well as be a shining example to them.

For some reason I just feel like this is the right thing for me to do. I can't explain it, but I just know I must follow this path.

Once I made my declaration my mother and father looked at me for several seconds without speaking a single word.

To say I'm not tense right now would be a lie.

"I see." My father said. "So you wish to develop these newtype abilities you possess?"

"Yes father." I told him, looking him directly in the eye.

"Once you down this path you can't turn back or run away." He said. "Are you prepared for what comes from this decision?"

"Yes." I said. I can't say I have no doubts, but I don't think I'll regret this decision at all.

Especially since Slaine is right there with me.

With him watching my back I know things will be alright.

"I see. Well then my darling Mio, since this is your decision I'll support you with all I have." My father said.

"As will I." My mom said.

"Thank you mom and dad." I said, giving them a big smile.

I truly have some of the most wonderful parents in the world.


The Moon, Granada, UC 0073, May 25th:

Slaine POV:

Looking at Miorine on my laptop screen because we on a video call I put a smile on my face.

Since she just informed me she's going to study at the Flanagan Institute to develop her newtype abilities.

"Good for you Mio." I told her.

"Thanks Slaine." Miorine replied. "So this means we'll get to spend even more time together. Since you'll be attending the Institute to develop your abilities as well, right?"

"Actually, yes and no." I told her.

"Slaine, what do you mean?" She questioned.

"I have already made the decision to attend the Institute but only for the next year and half. Because after that I intend to apply for a Federation military academy and join the Earth Federation Forces." I explained.

Which is part of my plans that I created years ago.

"The military, but why?" Miorine asked, worry in her voice. "You have money, and you run a company, and there is the Flanagan Institute, so why are you joining the military Slaine?"

Hearing the worry in Miorine's voice is really tearing at my heart. Especially since I can't tell her the truth.

That I'm only joining the military to learn about the inner workings of the Federation in preparation for my own independence movement after the One Year War takes place.

Over the years since we've met I've come to trust Miorine greatly. But I don't feel comfortable telling her about my ideas for independence just yet.

So for now a lie of omission will have to do.

"I am joining the military to get feel for the inner workings of the Federation. To see if there is any hope they will change their ways and things in the Sides and the lunar cities will get better in the future." I said.

Of course I know that won't be the case, but for Miorine this is the best explanation I can come up with right now.

"I see." Miorine mused. She then stared at me for several seconds without saying anything. Finally she gave me a curt nod. "I understand Slaine. This is the path you have chosen, and I won't try to stop you. Just be safe."

"Of course." I told her. "I promise I'll be careful."

"Thank you." Miorine said.

As she did so the two of us shared a smile.

We then talked for a bit longer before I ended the video call.

After doing so I sighed.

"Damn, that was difficult." I mused.

Lying to Miorine is not fun for me. So I hope in another few years I won't have to anymore.

I also hope that she accepts me even after I reveal my ideals.

Because if she doesn't, then I don't know what I'll do.

Same with my parents.

Speaking of, its time I told them about my plans to join the military.

Gathering my thoughts I waited until my mother called me down for dinner.

Once she did so I headed downstairs and took my seats. My parents doing the same.

We then ate together, and once the meal ended I made my move.

"Mom, dad I have some things I wish to discuss with you both." I said.

As I did so they looked in my direction.

"First off, Miorine has decided to study at the Flanagan Institue." I said. Since they know about her newtype abilities. "And I have also decided to study there as well."

"Oh, so you can Miorine can have some time by yourselves away from your parents eh?" Mom asked. A smirk on her face.

"It's not like that." I said Getting a small blush on my face at my mother's teasing.

"Are you sure?" My mom sang.

"Yes." I said. "We are just going there to study and develop our newtype abilities together. But I will only be staying there for about a year and a half Since I plan to apply for a Federation military Academy and serve in the Earth Federation Forces." I said.

"What?" Mom questioned.

"Slaine, is this really the path you want to take?" My father asked in a calm manner.

"It is." I said. Looking him directly in the eyes.

"I see." My father said. "Alright then."

"Sazzbaum!" Mom shouted.

"Dear please calm down." My father said.

"But Slaine wants to join the E.F.F." Mom spoke.

"Yes, I heard." Dad retorted.

"He wants to serve in the forces run by bigots and fat slobs who only got to their positions by nepotism and greasing the right pockets!" Mom exclaimed.

'Wow.' I thought I never knew mom felt so strongly about the Federation Forces.

Looks like I don't have to worry about her supporting my ideas for complete autonomy from the Federation in the future.

"Yes, I  get that." Dad stated again. "But dear, our son has made his decision. And since he gets his stubbornness from you I know no matter what we say we won't be able to change his mind."

"But he's our baby." Mom said with worry.

"I know. But he's smart and growing into a fine young man. I'm sure he'll be fine." Dad said. He then looked at me again. "You'll be careful, right Slaine?"

"Yes dad, I will." I told him.

"See." Dad said.

"Well...alright." Mom said. "But Slaine if anything too much happens you can always come home."

"I know." I said.

I know that no matter what happens I'll always have place to come home to, and that gives me greater strength than almost anything else.

I truly am lucky.

23