Chapter 15: Academy Days (2)
569 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

UC 0075, March 18th:

Sitting in class I listened as the instructor in front of me went on with the days lesson.

Making sure to pretend to take notes.

I say pretend because I read ahead a bit and know everything he is talking about. It's word for word from the textbook issued for this class.

So if he asks me a question there will be no worries.

I just have to make sure I keep up with his words and I'm golden.

As class continued I continued doing my own thing until it ended.

Once it did I collected my bag and headed off to my next class of the day.

Military Ethics.

A class which I find highly ironic considering all the racist and corrupt officers in the Federation military. But it's whatever. I'm passing the class with flying colors.

Entering the classroom I went towards the seats situated in the back and sat down right next to Hyuse.

Over these past two months he and I have become really good friends.

At first I thought he didn't like me, but after we finally started talking I came to realize he's just the strong-silent type.

After taking my seat Hyuse gave me a curt nod and I responded in kind.

I then reached into my bag and took out my notebook for this class.

Other students continued to file in until eventually the classroom was filled up. Then a few minutes later the instructor walked in.

Standing at the blackboard at the front of the room he looked at all of us.

"Put your pencils down cadets, there will be no lesson today." He told us. "Actually we won't have class for the rest of this week." He said.

Which got a few questioning murmurs from around the entire room.

"Settle down." The instructor said. "I'm about to explain everything." He told us.

Thus the instructor began explaining why he just canceled class for the rest of the week.

"I've decided on the final exam for this class." He told us. "This year it will be a group project. You will pick a topic from military history and discuss the ethics of it in a 25 minute presentation. This will be due at the end of the second term in November. Further details will be given out, but for right now I won't overwhelm you all. Instead we'll start with the simplest matter, forming the groups. Each group must have a minimum of five people and no more than seven. Anyone who cannot join a group will be assigned to one. All groups will be finalized by the end of this week. Which is why despite the fact I will not be teaching lessons, you must still come to class. That's about it. And one more thing, do choose your fellow group members wisely, since this final project will account for 40% of your overall grade. Well then, I'll leave you to it." The instructor said.

He then went over to his desk and sat down, beginning to handle work on his computer.

A minute after this happened the room turned chaotic.

Cadets started scrambling out of their chairs and darting around the room. Frantic looks on their faces.

Not that I can blame them.

This is 40% of our overall grade.

If they don't pick good allies for this final project they'll fail the class.

And I've come to notice for these past two months that many of my fellow cadets have type A personalities. Meaning failure is not in their vocabulary.

Well, I can't say I'm not similar.

However unlike a lot of my fellow cadets I'm using my head.

The instructor just told us the groups will not be finalized until the end of this week.

Today is Monday.

Which means there are still four more days left to form a group.

There's really no need to rush this. Especially if you are going to be working with the people in your group for the rest of the school year. Because if you pick people you end up having a problem working with, then the entire group will suffer and fail.

That's the reason my ass has stayed firmly planted in my seat. I want to take a wait and see approach before making any decisions on this matter.

Looking around I can see several other cadets doing the same thing.

Including Hyuse right next to me.

"So, we're forming a group together right?" Hyuse asked me.

"Yeah, of course."  I told him.

He nodded.

As he did so I started thinking about who else to add to our group.

Hyuse and I aren't really that close with most of the other cadets.

But it's not for lack of trying.

It's just that most of the cadets happen to be Earthnoids who look down on the two of us, especially since we are ranked 1st and 5th in our year overall.

This gets us hit with burning looks of scorn and jealousy.

Because of this the other spacenoid students don't associate with us either, for year of reprisal.

So Hyuse and I are very isolated.

Not that either of us care much.

We've both got really thick skin.

Still, this might make things difficult with the group project.

Oh well, I'm sure things will work out.


Sitting at my desk I released a small sigh.

Today is Thursday.

But Hyuse and I still haven't found any others willing to join our group for the final project.

Everyone we've asked has either flat out rejected our invitation or made up some flimsy excuse.

To say I'm not a little frustrated would be a lie.

But I'm not discouraged in the slightest.

Looking around I tried to find anyone Hyuse and I haven't asked yet to be a part of our group.

While doing so I noticed someone approaching us.

He is a male. He is dark-skinned. His height is 188 cm. Sitting atop his head is a collection of dreadlocks that are pointing forward, while the rest of his head is shaved down. He has almond-colored eyes and is tall and imposing. But also he is giving off a gentle and caring vibe at the same time.

Coming to a stop in front of Hyuse and I he looked at us.

"Yes, can we help you?" I asked him.

"Hello." He said, a French accent becoming apparent as he spoke. "I hear you're looking for group members for the final project. Mind if I join you two?"

"Sure." I said. "What about you Hyuse?"

"I don't mind." He said.

"Thank you." He said. "The name is Jean-Baptiste Augustine. But you both can just call me Baptiste." He explained.

Hyuse and I nodded.

'Ok, so with Baptiste joining this makes three. Now we just need two more.' I thought.

Who I hope will join us willingly now that Baptiste has decided to do so.

"Hey Baptiste, what are you doing?" A male cadet asked, walking up to our group. He looked at Hyuse and I with disgust for a brief second before looking back at Baptiste. "Why did you join up with these two spacers?" He questioned. Though in a low voice only the three of us could hear.

Since "Spacer" is a derogatory slur associated with spacenoid's. If this guy said it any louder and other spacenoids or the instructor heard him he'd be in trouble.

Well it's not like he's not in trouble right now. Since Hyuse and I are both glaring at him with disgusted looks on our faces.

Baptiste is as well.

"Fuck off Cartwright." He said to the guy. "Now."

Getting a terrified look on his face the guy named Cartwright ran off.

Once he was gone Baptiste looked at the two of us. "Sorry about that." He said. "That's my roommate. And as you can see he's an idiot who thinks just because people were born in space makes them any lesser than those of us born on Earth, which is complete horseshit." He said.

"So you are from Earth?" Hyuse questioned.

Baptiste nodded.

"Haiti." He said proudly.

"Oh, is it as beautiful as I've heard?" I asked him.

"It is, and more." Baptiste said.

He then pulled up a chair and started telling us about his homeland.

Hyuse and I listening intently.

Before we knew it class was called to an end for the day.

However that didn't stop the three of us from continuing our conversation.

Looks like my intuition was right.

Baptiste is a good guy.

I'm glad to have him in our group.

And I hope to have him as a friend.


A/N: Another chapter completed.

Nothing special. But just to be clear there will hardly be any action in the upcoming chapters. Mostly just world-building until the One Year War begins. Then things will really heat up, and stay that way after.

So stay tuned in.

Jean-Baptiste Augustine (Overwatch): 16 years old

12