5: L’s
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In an alley, by the Inn which Deidre and Leannan had dropped off Lara a few hours prior, waited a woman. Hair as pitch as the night and eyes red with gold flecks, a face as beautiful and as terrifying as death herself and a body that was both sleek and rippling with muscles. She whistled as she drew runes in the air, small sparks coming off them as she did. 

A man, dressed in armor painted white, approached her. "Lady Doch, try not to use that in public."

"Oh, come off it, Rabo. This alley, public. Nonsense. Besides, knock an onlooker out and they think they imagine it."

Rabo, full name Rabotnik, shook his head. "Lady Doch, just be careful."

"Rabo, stop addressing me as Lady Doch. We are here to do spying. My first name would be more appropriate, yes? Much less well known."

Her servant nodded, "Of course milady. I shall refer to you as Lady Doch the Elder blessed you at your birth: Mors. Or would you prefer your nickname, Morsie?"

"Just Mors is fine, thank." The girl fixed her hair out of her eyes and sighed. "Are the visitors from the capital here?"

"Yes Lady- my apologies, Mors. The Bloody Knight Deidre Kaga, a woman that appears to be a mage of some sort, and a very injured looking woman who stumbled into the inn who's alley we are in, arrived a few minutes ago."

"Ah, Deidre. I haven't seen her since the ball where Brio was announced as this empires Rune User."

"Yes, quite nostalgic, ah speaking of Runes."

"Hmm, yes I am aware of her being here. She visited me to learn my Rune permanence skills for her- well, as you know."

"Well, I suspect if what they are after is what is reported, then she could be an issue."

"Her? Are you forgetting our source said the kingdom had two rune users? She never used rune magic until her trip with me and Faira around the kingdoms, year before she left the capital. Clearly the extra rune user would be likely the mage girl you saw. Zurah likely would be gone soon."

"Ah, so you did read the report. Glad to see you taking this seriously, Mors."

"Of course, that which slumbers in Tune Somnia is of the great importance to me and Ruskalyka as whole."

"Again, quiet on that Mors."

"Like any peasant on street knows about Tune Somnia. And if they do, they probably won't care about it."

Rabo shook his head. "Well, we should try and find our little searchers. I'll keep an eye on the limper, just in case."

"You just want easy job. Lazy bum."

He laughed, "Oh, and you'd want to watch a girl moan in bed all day?"

"In most situation I might be enjoying it, but I am serious now."

Rabo bowed and said his farewell to Mors before rounding the corner into the inn. Mors waited a moment before stretching, casting some runes to clean the dirt and grime of the alley off of her and walking out to spy on her targets.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Say your name again." The now conscious Deidre demanded of Lyrica.

Lyrica cocked her head and gave a puzzled look. "Lyrica Protothea."

"Bullshit, how can you have the same last name as Lyre and Brio when they're the last of their family? Unless you married Lyre."

"That would be physically impossible, though if the myth of Regent Grafein is taking as legal precedent..."

"Answer me!" Deidre shouted, her voice barely raising above the drone of the crowd.

"My dad was Kyrios Protothea, does that answer it?"

"That's Lyre's and Brio's father."

"Yeah."

"What are you a bastard daughter?"

"No, not that my father ever knew me, hell Brio is the only one I fully told. Besides Lara but she's the same."

"You've met Brio?"

Lyrica was finding it hard to take Deidre at this point so she smiled, "I lived with him for seventeen years, you dense Deidei."

"How do you know my nickname?"

Lyrica's eye was twitching, "I fucking wish Lara was here to spell it out for you better, but this should do." She pulled out a caster that was nearly empty off a shelf and touched it. The liquid inside bubbled and then as she chucked it upward exploded in a spectacular way.

Deidre began stammering her brain connecting the reality in front of her together slowly as she just babbled on looking like a broken automaton.

Lyrica turned to Leannan, "Ah yes, tell aunt Isolde happy birthday when you get back."

"Oh so you were- huh. That's two in the same family. Is Brio also?"

"No. Just the L's"

Deidre's brain worked and she pulled out her sword and pointed it at Lyrica. The girl pushed the tip away. 

"What are you doing Deidei?"

"My mission. To kill Lyre."

"One, don't ever fucking call me that Bloody Knight. Two, I know Cis'go'tte worded it so I'd be fine. They live for drama. Honestly Hazel and his game is growing old."

"Cis'go what?"

"Cysgod, that is the name she uses with you isn't it?

"How the hell do you know that? Oh right Brio." Deidre frowned and sheathed her blade. "Yeah, as you are now you aren't that part of my mission.

"That part?"

"If the person formerly known as- you know, persist convince them to join us."

Lyrica laughed, "Oh I see, that's the game. Wonder who the new one will be."

Deidre looked confused, "Um, anyways can you help us?"

Lyrica smiled, "Of course. Tomorrow."

"Oh, so um.... Would you stay with us. For my mission, not because I missed you."

Lyrica nodded before turning to Leannan, "You're at the big inn right?"

She nodded in reply. "So... like who did your runes?"

"Hazel, my... boss."

"Never heard of a rune user by that name."

"You never were much for history class."

"Huh?"

"Nevermind. So, what's your plan with me?"

"Keep an eye and you and take you back. After you show us around the caves near the native's land."

"And if I refuse to go back?"

"I think I can take you back by force." Deidre smirked stretching her muscular arms above Lyrica's head. The five seven Lyrica seemed unimpressed by this.

"Oh no, how would I ever escape from someone as strong as you."

"I know what sarcasm sounds like Lyrica, the other Ls' give it to me enough."

"When is Lara ever sarcastic to you?" Leannan asks.

"When I asked her to let me cheat off her in school she always rolled her eyes at me."

"You haven't been in school for six years Deidre."

"I wish my orders were just to kill you."

"Oh, a few ago it might have been but the old man wouldn't have fun without me fucking around."

The trio continued their lackadaisical walk back towards the house.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In the streets walked a figure, whistling a tune from a musical that the reviews had tanked, as the businesses around began to close. The closing time crowd got pushed out of bars and the businesspeople able to go home without late nights but not early enough to drink before the public dry hour sadly walked the streets to the suburbs of the city. The last of the workers followed after, the one who could afford it followed their bosses while the less affluent or those tied to family stayed in the city and went to the apartments. 

The figure watched as the crowd went, bored eyes staring out. A check of some paper in a coat pocket and the figure began to walk to the eastern exit, feet clacking against the cobblestone. 

Mors was trying to find her targets, having no luck at any of the bars and taverns. She was waiting by the door of one as the figure walked by, the paper in their coat pocket falling out as they walked by.

Mors noticed and grabbed it and was prepared to return it, but the figure had disappeared into the crowd. In her native tongue she swore before shrugging. Hopefully it wasn't too important.

Of course she opened it and read it. Only one thing was put to the paper. Mors furrowed her bow. Only an address was on it, each number stylized in a way that made them images. Two swords for the seven, the four was made to look like the runic word for "hidden" and the eight was a snowman. Mors shook her head. Was this a memory trick so the person who lost it wouldn't forget the address? 

She crumbled in and stuffed it in her pockets. Looking around, she began to make her way back to the inn, not figuring that she'd be able to hide well enough if the three had gone to one of the small apartments and a small part of her wanted to just rest.

The figure stood at the door, hood raised. They stared back at the city, as though waiting for something- then left, this time singing part of the song:

"As the world burns us down, takes us from our dreams, crush our hopes to be hung from their ropes, swinging for their greed- I will burn them down with us, bring them to their knees. For they are just the same as us, and they will bleed the same."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lara snored loudly as Rabo stared down at her. He gently placed a hand on the younger woman and shook him awake. 

"Madam, the bartender asked me to awaken you. The bar is closed and they suggest guest such as you and I return to our rooms."

Lara stared up at the stranger, and realized she had fallen asleep in her plate of toast, food sticking to her chin. She quickly wiped off her face and thanked Rabo with a shake of the hand and a nod of the head that she wished she hadn't done before rushing upstairs. Rabo quietly went to his first floor room and watched through the peephole as Lara returned back down, quickly looked for her key before resigning herself to ask for one of the spares from the front desk. Rabo twirled the original in his fingers, as he watched.

Even if the woman was nothing more than a worthless pawn in the eyes of her godless empire, that didn't mean the luggage he had seen the hotel staff drag up to the room she was in didn't have items of info, especially with the seals of Kaga and Galahad upon them. Some secrets, some blackmail, perhaps even some cash. Would any of it be connected to the Tune Somnia? Perhaps- nay, probably not. But even the clothes of the elites could feed a man in the home country for a month.

Rabo's thoughts turned to his ward, the daughter of the family he was born into servitude for- who he cared not of. Not of but for Mors. She was an exception to her family's vileness and perhaps to most of the upper class as a whole. Least the ones he knew. He had only met that girl once, and she wasn't what he would consider upper class despite her family connections. In fact she was closer to Zurah but without the baggage he had heard the horned girl had lately. And Faira she was...

Rabo shook his head, a scar on his back flaring with heat as his mind slipped to a memory, bloody thoughts in his mind's eye. A war fought for those that cared not about those that they sent like ants to their death under the boot of a human. G'erytfo'wla. Faira, was she safe back in the old country? Did the ship even make it, or was it sunk by the sea, pirates, sabotage?

Rabo moved to the bed and sat down. The memories began to fade again, leaving old regrets behind. The only current regret he had was not teaching Mors to speak the language of the Empire better, though the broken way she spoke could perhaps convince some she couldn't understand enough and- 

He shook his head. No one would be that dumb. Nothing was ever easy. 

The servant leaned back and closed his eyes. Tomorrow they would begin to stalk their prey.

--------------------------------------------

Lara yelped in horror as Deidre kicked open the door to the room and yelped again as her cousin appeared behind the tall ass knight. She stared in confusion at Lyrica before the two girls embraced each other into a hug, talking at speeds that made Deidre and Leannan's heads spin.

"But why are you here?"

"I live here. Last two years. Mostly been helping in the theater and making sure the Chief doesn't rightfully try and kill the hunters that try and hunt on his land. You?"

"I was told to be here."

"And you agreed because Deidei was coming right?" Lyrica moved her eyebrows and winked.

Lara shook her head furiously, face burning red, "Lyrica!"

The older cousin smirked and lay down upon one of the beds sinking into it's downy embrace. Leannan sat beside her.

"So, any reason why you kept the fact your cousin was alive secret from everyone?" Leannan asked Lara.

"Hey, Isolde also knew."

"I work with Isolde's teacher, Lara."

"Still. Besides you told me not to tell anyone."

"I told you not to tell anyone who might tell my brother."

"Which could be anyone."

"Well, no harm even when I was found out this time. For now. I still don't trust Deidre to not stab me when in the caves you want to see."

"What did I do to you?" The knight snapped back.

"Besides being her daughter? Mostly making me read what Lara said about you in letters."

"Oh, and what did she say about me."

Lyrica looked towards Lara who shook her head, "My client is asking me to not divulge details to the affected party."

Deidre huffed, "I'll just find the letters in her room when we get back."

"I am so changing the locks." 

The beds were decided. Lara and Lyrica being cousins on one and Deidre and Leannan on the other. Lara and Lyrica continued to chatter while Leannan called Deidre to the balcony that overlooked the city. 

"You aren't offering the target clemency because you have feelings for her are you?"

"Okay, I admit she's cute now but she's not my type. Her personality is all wrong for me. Also rude."

"I was just making sure. Brio is going to be mad."

"He's always upset. Besides he missed Lyrica no matter what the bastard will try and claim."

"We should still keep an eye on her regardless."

"Yes. Especially on the end of the mission. I am getting the recruitment bonus. I need new armor."

Leannan sighed, "We should worry about getting the keys first."

"I'm sure it's going to be easy with all of us here."

"You do remember what tribe lays outside the city right?"

"Hey, if Lyrica can stand to be around me, maybe they can as well."

"Lyrica hasn't been oppressed for hundreds of years. Maybe don't mention the fact your mom is who she is."

"I make no promises. Besides I look like how she did so they might get mad regardless."

Leannan nodded, "Just don't get hurt. Or us hurt."

Deidre grinned, pulling her friend into a hug, "I won't let anything hurt my little L's."

"Please don't start calling us that."

                                                                                                    

In the capital, Brio sat by his bed, a book opened and placed upside down on his stand. Drago snored hanging in his corner cage, a bass to the strings of the cricket that danced on the small window, barely large enough for Brio to reach his hand out, but not too large to stop the wind from whistling at the worst hours.

He made a few dozen runes, watching as his bed made itself around him, tucking him in tight as his Rune Inker slid away into the corner. The room dimmed as the magical power lamps dimmed out, and the world became void.

What was his wish?

That thought had caught him again. His uncle's question had been gnawing like a rat at the corners of his mind.

Wish? What did he truly want? He knew things he could wish for, but which one would his heart go for without regrets, without hesitation? Without worry for its results to be twisted?

Mother and Father? The dead shouldn't rise. His sibling? No, let his sister be free to do whatever she was doing and not here to annoy him and remind him of his past. Eternal Life? Then when the planet becomes dust, where would he be? Money without relying on his family name? Rune users could make good money regardless of name.

Every wish had issues that made him turn away from it. What did his uncle desire to learn from asking that question? Why ask it? Was it a test, to see Brio's loyalty? His modesty? Honesty?

What was uncle's wish? He had to have one. What would he wish for if he met the Kir'fo'yta of Dreams? 

Would his uncle be worthy of having his wish granted? Was Brio? Was anyone.

He shook his head. Well, sleep was the only thing to do. Pondering questions for hour never ended up helping Brio. 

He hoped that Deidre and Leannan would be done soon, so some questions he had could be answered and some wishes that were not his true wish could be granted.

                                                                                                    

 

Lyrica snuck out of the room after the others had fallen asleep, making her way out back. Two hood figures greeted her, the taller one a bit annoyed.

"You want to explain yourself?"

"Blame the Cy. He's playing his last cards." She replied hands behind her head.

"Boss isn't going to like it."

"Boss never likes what I do, she tolerates it because I'm keeping Zurah from ever actually getting that goddess of hers revived."

"Oh yeah, being cursed by a goddess sure is a useful ability."

"For me it is. What we doing about my cute homunculus here? Don't need here to die for me. Perhaps we can have her go with Mors?"

"No. I'll just scratch some runes into the back and use her as a companion without you."

"Fine by me. By the way, how are Rabo and Mors doing?"

"Here like always. Ruskalyka is playing the same role as always. You hear of Zurah?"

"Ours? No. The proper Zurah is a psychopath from what I hear."

"Great. That's going to be bothersome latter." The hooded figure kicked the ground, a small dust cloud forming. "How many by the way?"

"One for Ys, one for the Ruskalykan, one for our side, and one for my, let's say captors."

"We could just steal all of them."

"And you yelled at me for not doing as the boss asked."

"Sometimes I wish she would see people as more than pieces in a game."

"If you're tired of it now, imagine how I feel."

The hooded figure chuckled, "Okay then. I should go get prepped. I'm not leaving you fully alone until you exit the cave alive."

"Yeah, yeah." Lyrica waved away the two and turned back to the hotel, sneaking up the stairs and stealthily under the covers beside her cousin who's only response was a snort. She was glad she was a heavy sleeper. She eyed the other two in the darkness until she was sure they were asleep as well, before closing her eyes and falling into her dreams.

                                          --------                                                          

The redhead watched as the figures departed, sipping on a piping hot cup of tea. Lyrica was cute as always, and as unable to actually do her job as well. She would be so easy to get on her side with a bit of intimidation and flirting but the redhead preferred the path this time was presenting to her. 

But first she needed a room to rest in, can't see to what she needed done on poor rest.

She stood up and walked into the small row house next to her, walking over to the bed where the sleeping man lied and drew a rune above his head. He awoke and stared blankly at Zurah. She told him to go and leave town before undressing and climbing into the bed he once occupied. A bit too soft but it would have to do. Her goddess would not rise here, but the one issue in her way would be gone in the next one. Well, more accepting to being her key to her goal.

2