Chapter 4: Gratitude
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She followed Allura’s golden light, or rather, her golden slits. The two eyeballs when up and down the void forest path as the fae toad hopped. The vast emptiness of the wilderness, its eerie silence finally reaching Bernadette’s cognition. Other than the moan of the animal they were walking towards to, the young Forester could now discern the effects of the blinding curse. Were it not only the eyes, but by the blank taste on her tongue, the lack of cold or warmth of the shadow canopies, and the bleak steps of the earth beneath, the curse took away the very nature of her senses.

Respecting the odd quiet of their journey, Bernadette bundled herself with her own arms as she sent her scared thoughts to Allura. Um… what does the beast look like?

A whiner.

Tussled by the toad’s lack of fear and perhaps annoyed tone, Bernadette was left blank.

And positively stupid. Disrespectful. Spoiled and disobedient. I bet his mother would clear everything I owe her if we get him home.

The transaction had a looping way compared to her father’s forester contracts. How would that work with my debt to you? She asked. And how did you know the—a long groan came farther from their path—that the creature needs help?

They were climbing a steep hill, the bulk of her past escapade now claiming her sharp breathes. Feeling the cry of her muscles, Bernadette had to lean to a tree to support her rasps before following Allura again.

I forget that you aren’t fully fae. Apparently, the kid is crying out to any fae near him. To us, he is crying like all human kids do. Yours could be the sound of a normal loud animal.

What do you mean me not being fully fae? My mother would not…

Nor a changeling. I think its from your father. You, him, and your other cousin have fae blood in you. Ever wondered why he is such a huge man? And tall? I can’t tell from whom or what fae folk though but I’m sure its from a forest guardian. Your song speaks for seeking trust into your family’s name.

Bernadette bit her lip as Allura’s words churned ideas she could had never thought. The Ileahn was a fae song!

Unbothered by the human’s surprise, Allura went on. If you help me, helping the boy, you’ll be free of me and I will send word to her mother for our assistance. And besides, he went into your new borders. Its your job as a forester to remind him of that.

Atop the hill, the both of them hopped and walked side by side on the flat ground. So, my father really did accomplish the deal, Bernadette celebrated. They were rounding up one of the old oaks she and her Dah marked when the fae’s cry was finally visible. There, just a stone threw away lay a young deer. He was heaving silently, the shadow shape of him bulged against the little light the cursed moon gave her. He was taking another gasp for help when the crunch of her forester boots announced her coming presence. The deer’s head swung towards Bernadette and immediately she lost track of time.

His eyes were pure white. The tail end of its power may have shrunken by the pain he was in, but the hallow almond shapes called to her. Bernadette could not move. She was planted on her feet, like an ancient tree undisturbed by years of decays and storms. She had nourished upon that earth and but by man and axe alone will she be swayed away. And he had been fixated to her as well. The murky night of the curse now fainted by the tunnels he dug into her. If he were to loosen her knots, he will easily know her thoughts.

What is that? Allura lapsed, her question collapsing the trapped world Bernadette was drowning in. She jerked and fought her vision to where the toad had indicated.

It was a bear trap. Its iron teeth clamped the hind leg of the buck, rendering him to bleed if he were to agitate. Bernadette’s eyes bulged. The sickness of such instrument curdled the codes of the forester laws.

I take it you do not use such things? Allura spoke to her mind, an edge to her hiss.

Bernadette could not deny anything. No.

Good. Better tell your father this privately. But we still need your help. I do not wish to touch iron. I am not strong as other fae.

Bernadette knelt to the snared leg, the buck somehow sneering at her volition. The clamp looked like it needed a hefty amount of strength and she could not help but buckle against the smell of blood.

You have the strength of a forest guardian, Bernadette. You are more than just a daughter of a forester.

Allura’s words offered her more confidence than any other shoulder pats from her father. Convinced, Bernadette ignored the young deer’s protest and laced her fingers beneath the trap’s jaws. She hauled every waking might of her being. Her infant muscles from taking her family’s manly labor sang like the Ileahn. Like the draw and shoot of her father’s arrow, Bernadette had barely slipped the teeth wide before the leg flew free and the jaws snapping shut.

Bernadette sighed and fell to the forest floor. Her lungs hugged her ribs like she had been running all the long while. Allura perched on her waving chest, her glowing eyes lapsing her wide toad lips.

Now what? Bernadette asked the looming form, her breathes easing to a slow reflex.

Now, we must leave. Allura turned to the deer. Although he had been released from his death bed, the buck shook to balance up right, the weakened leg burdening his tired fore. He was trying to return to where Bernadette arrived, back to the border, neither glancing back or offering the chance to thank her as he plodded.

Leaving without gratitude will be your greatest regret. Allura nagged the deer. And, with your mother’s past influence on me, I will heal your leg.

The deer paused in his struggle for a moment. His burning eyes turned to Bernadette, blaring to a kindle and then she felt the snap of a small thread.

Your mother would be proud, Aleisten. Allura noted as she resettled her sloppy body on Bernadette. And you, she addressed Bernadette’s tired form. Your father would be proud as well. You will feel sick for a couple of days. It’s the withdrawal from the healing your body was forced to. And, luckily, you’ve saved a high fae, so you’re cursed free.

What? As she thought of this and blinked, Bernadette had returned her eyes to the sinking light of the afternoon. Her body still strewn to the ground and wonderfully blooming flora. Allura and the deer were gone, but the bristle of the awning leaves as she looked up left her relieved and the cacophony of birds, at peace. She was still consuming the calming restoration of Aluwein when she heard the familiar trumpet of her name from afar.

“Bernadeeeette…” It was her father, and she could not help but feel overjoyed by his voice.

0