Isolation 4
1.1k 4 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For still, there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

********

Artoria's day began, as always, at 6 am sharp.

She woke up as the sun rose. Long years of ingrained habit had not waned even on a utopian Island. Though seasons were still present with the jewel, they did not change the time the sun rose and set, 6am and 8pm, respectively. Five months into their imprisonment, the refreshing spring winds had been replaced with the summer heat. While the temperatures never reached uncomfortable levels, it still encouraged many women to spend time at the beach or in the pool.

Artoria had plans to do just that this afternoon. Today was a rest day; the group's training took a break to unwind. The King of knights was to be summoned in the evening slot, so she had the rest of the day to do as she pleased.

Since it was a rest day, she only spent two hours practicing her forms and training with Haki.

Laxity was the enemy, after all.

She spent the following hour caring for Dun Stallion and Sir Yvain's lion to unwind. While both were magical constructs, much like herself, they enjoyed the physical aspects of being summoned. So she fed them and brushed them, to their great pleasure.

Artoria then joined the other women for breakfast around 9. Meals were always lively, with various women coming down at different times. Medea had taken cooking duties upon herself to ensure everyone got the supplements they needed to keep progressing in their Tiers.

Sometimes Artoria worried that the greek witch was working too hard. She always seemed to have multiple projects and hobbies running simultaneously. Not counting Medea's recent help with The Plan. Only the ever-present smile on the elfin woman's face stopped the King from bringing up the subject. Compared to the Island's early days, she looked much happier.

While at breakfast, Artoria checked with Diana about her most recent summoning since she had the morning slot. Her habit was asking after Sir Mikael to make sure he was never too vexed in his quest. Her heart still clenched at his situation whenever she pondered it. To her, they had spoken only two and a half days ago. To him, it had been almost a year.

Diana reported that Sir Mikael seemed in high spirits. This portion of his quest was nearing completion. He hoped to fell the last enemy within a fortnight on their end. Three and a half years to go then.

Artoria could not wait for his quest to come to a successful end. Even her knights, who left Camelot on long quests, were never gone longer than a few months. The Isles were never so long to navigate for all their problems during her reign.

After a hearty meal, only twelve servings since it was breakfast, Artoria set off upon Dun Stallion to explore the Island with the lion by her side.

The group had mapped the Island early on in their incarceration. Upon discovery of the 'Creature Feature,' Artoria had taken to journeying across the land in search of any new beast or territory. The Island not only summoned foes that Sir Mikael had encountered in his quest but adapted the environment to match them. Last week, the King of Knights had discovered a volcano teeming with salamanders.

King Arthur enjoyed these hours of calm exploration. They reminded her of simpler times before everything fell apart. Camelot would hear tell of a strange beast or errant Knight, and she would organize a Hunt with her knights.

Sir Agravain would try to keep everything on track but spend most of his time corraling the others. Sir Gaheris would wrestle his brother, Sir Gawain, away from cooking duty. Sir Lancelot and Sir Tristan would find the nearest village and seduce some lonely women, only to be chased out of town by their husbands in the morning. Merlin would be in the middle, stirring up trouble while Cath Palug and Sir Bedivere either cleaned up the mess or struck down the mage.

Sir Mordred would argue with Sir Galahad over the former's recklessness or impropriety. Sir Percival or Sir Palamedes would be focused on the actual quest, inquiring for details from the passers-by. Kay would laugh through it all, never taking things seriously for a moment, teasing her relentlessly.

Artoria missed those days.

Before Sir Lancelot's betrayal. Before Sir Mordred's rebellion. Before Camelot fell and her knights died. Before Camlann. Before her ineptitude had doomed her friends and confidants.

She saw the shadows of their faces sometimes.

Kay's laughter in Yoruichi. Gawain's steadfastness in Diana. Agravain's dependability in Medea. The nurturing care of Gaheris in Tsunade's eyes.

But they weren't her knights.

Artoria did not know what to call what they had on this Island. They were all friendly enough, though some were closer than others. Robin remained helpful, though distant and kept her thoughts to herself. Raven was incredibly anti-social and stayed in her room most of the time. Emma was getting better, more willing to engage with the others. Before, she went out of her way to avoid them.

The rest spent most of their time together. Playing, laughing, watching shows, and sometimes just spending hours on end talking. They all had lived full lives, gone on their own adventures, and gone through tragedies and victories. Artoria had come to care for each of them as friends and companions.

The Knight flushed red as she remembered Medea's explanation of how some of their relationships were not as platonic as she had imagined. Looking back, it was a bit obvious. The lingering touches and the subtle looks. The way Tsuande and Yoruichi would curl up together on a couch or how Scathach and Glynda would arrive at breakfast simultaneously. She would be lying if she said that the idea wasn't exciting or... titillating.

For now, however, her heart remained set on Sir Mikael. This courtship was very important for their future relationship, convincing him of the folly of leaving her behind. Artoria, with Medea's aid, had already negotiated a settlement with the other Island women interested in their summoner. Diana, a dear friend, had agreed to help quickly, even if she wasn't interested in Mikael herself. Scathach, Glynda and Yoruichi had gotten on board as well. They all agreed a concentrated effort would be needed to break down his defences, even if the following relationship would be non-exclusive.

None of this would have been possible without Medea. Artoria owed a lot to the witch and tried to find ways to repay her debt.

Her blush deepened as she thought of ways to 'repay' the beautiful woman. But, the Knight shook her head at the thought. So far, Medea had shown no interest in romance while on the Island. Just because the greek had admitted her culture's acceptance of bisexuality did not mean the Artoria could presume Medea's interest in her.

Returning from her wandering thoughts, the King of Knights took stock of her surroundings. Dun Stallion, the wise beast he was, had taken them westward while avoiding both contaminated areas as they followed the coast. Artoria had explored the poisonous swamp and gas-filled mine exactly once before deciding to never venture there again.

It would have been quicker to fly, but details were often lost from the air. For example, the entrance to the labyrinthine tunnels under the mountains was only visible from the ground. Besides, she was in no rush. This was a day off, after all.

The following hours were spent wandering the countryside. Artoria found no new discoveries, though she did hunt a few crystal lizards she spotted for Medea to study. These were red rather than the usual blue. Of course, the knightess was back at the mansion in time for lunch.

During the meal, the topic had turned to their home worlds and whether or not they intended to return.

"Servants are already dead," Medea explained to the group sitting around the table. "The three of us do not have anything to go back to. Mikael could still find worlds during our periods, but they wouldn't be the same. the Second True Magic can fake it well, but it is not the Fifth."

"I, on the other hand, fully intend to return," Emma said. "I have a school to run. I shudder to imagine how the others have set things up in my absence."

"God forbid they do something right," Yoruichi snarked at the diamond blonde good-naturedly. "I'll probably touch base with a few friends, make sure Kisuke hasn't destroyed anything, Soul Society is still standing, and my Little Bee is all set before returning to the Island. Galavanting around worlds sounds much better than dealing with paperwork because they want me to be a captain again. Or, god forbid, a noble."

"Some of us take our jobs seriously, you cat," Emma responded archly. Yoruichi, the picture of maturity, stuck out her tongue in response.

"I suppose it would depend," Diana chimed in before the argument could escalate. "Raven and I were summoned at an inopportune time. While it did save our lives, we have no idea of the state of things. More than likely, when we return, we will be needed for reconstruction efforts." The hooded woman nodded her agreement but kept focusing on the meal.

"What was the nature of your foe?" Artoria couldn't help but ask.

"We were facing an army of Shadow Demons. They marched for a being called the 'Anti-Monitor' or some such. To be honest, we never saw the leader. I hope others of the League managed to hold out, but the earth had sustained heavy damages by the time we fell."

"My condolences," Artoria bowed her head towards her friend. "If you wish, once we have convinced Mikael to remain, I would be willing to aid in your reconstruction efforts. While my prowess is suited to the battlefield, any help I can provide is at your disposal."

"I appreciate it," Wonder Woman smiled softly at King Arthur, placing her hand over Artoria's and giving it a gentle squeeze. "I do not know if time passes differently between my world and here. It could be months since we left, or it could be decades like Mikael's experiences. I only fear that our return will be too late to be of any help."

"Hm," Robin made a quiet noise of contemplation on the side as she watched on. When a few eyes turned to her, she smiled and shook her head. "Do not mind me. Just had an errant thought."

Artoria may not have been able to read minds like Emma, but she had good instincts. Those same instincts warned her that whatever errant thought had crossed Robin's had been important in some way. More than that, judging by the brittleness of her smile and the slight shaking of her cup of tea, it had not been a pleasant thought.

Casting a subtle eye towards the White Queen, Artoria noted that she hadn't reacted, which calmed her somewhat. Emma was good at hiding her expressions, but she had her tells. On the other hand, Raven had flinched and was staring at Robin. Her face was, as usual, expressionless, but there was an intensity to her gaze.

"And how about you," the cambion asked the pirate. "Any plans for when you get back?"

"I suppose it would depend on the situation there," Robin idly ran a finger around the rim of her cup as she stared into the distance in thought. "I still have to achieve a few things, which I can only do there. I want to see my crew again, make sure they are all safe and help them with their own dreams that hadn't been accomplished yet."

"You will visit, will you not," Priscila asked. Until then, she had been explaining the healing Miracles of her world to Tsunade. Now she stared at Nico Robin in hope. The pirate looked surprised at the question as if she couldn't understand. "I will miss you all, but you can all visit by summoning a portal."

"Certainly," she answered softly after a moment. "If for nothing else than the library. If you would like to visit, I'm sure many of my crew would love to meet you, I'm sure. Though feel free to ignore any inappropriate questions from my captain, musician, or cook."

"Inappropriate how?" Glynda asked. The blonde teacher had taken it upon herself to instruct the crossbreed in various subjects and was very matronly with the girl.

"Sanji would flirt heavily," the pirate listed things on her fingers as if going through a checklist. "Luffy would ask you if you poop. Brook would ask to see your panties. The others would all think you the coolest. Yamato, in particular, would probably idolize you."

"You've told me about your crewmates before," Tsunade said thoughtfully. "I never gave it any thought, but meeting them would be nice if we could travel to each other. I would love to ask your doctor, Chopper, I believe he was called, about his herbal concoctions."

"I'm sure he would love that," Robin said warmly before turning to Artoria, who had just finished her fifteenth serving and smirking playfully at her. "How about you, Your Majesty? Over half of the women here have claimed your legend to be the most well-known in their world. I've read a few books on the subject as well. Any of the famous Knights of the Round Table I would like to meet?"

"If we find a world in which my Knights remain, then there are few things to keep in mind." Artoria set down her bowl of rice, looking around the room to ensure everyone was listening. This was important. "Sir Agravain hates women due to his mother, so it would be best to steer clear of him. Sir Galahad can be a problematic sort to talk with. In particular, Emma, Medea and Robin should avoid him, but the rest should have no issues. Kay might be a bit lackadaisical, but he is good-natured, and Yoruichi will find his company enjoyable. Sir Gareth is a delight to be around. Out of my knights, they and Sir Bedivere would be the ones I recommend talking to.

"Those are the least troublesome. Let me tell you why you should steer clear of Sir Gawain, Sir Lancelot, Sir Tristan, and the rest. Medea, Scathach, Tsunade, and Emma. This is particularly important for you."

"Why us?" Emma looked morbidly curious as she asked the question.

"You have been married or widowed in some manner," Artoria answered handily.

The following was half an hour of lectures on how to survive the Knights of the Round as a beautiful woman. Her audience listened to her in awed silence, only asking the occasional question. (Such as why all her knights ended up cross-dressing at some point)

"Finally," Artoria ended her lesson gravely. If they learned nothing else from her words, let them remember this. "No matter what, never engage with Merlin. Do not talk to him; certainly do not listen to his advice. Do not accept anything from him, definitely not food or drink. And if nothing else, never ever be alone with him!"

There was a moment of silence as her companions digested her teachings. Artoria used this moment to sit back down and resume her meal. It was cold by this point but still good. Besides, she had worked up an appetite.

"Artoria," Medea finaly spoke. "You know you are my friend, and I love you to bits but, and I mean this in the nicest possible way; your knights were all insane!" There were nods around the table and various sounds of agreement. Artoria herself nodded in support.

Good. They had been listening.

*******

Artoria subtly adjusted her outfit. Medea insisted on it, claiming it would 'knock his socks off.' While a part of her enjoyed the chance to wear something like this and 'let her hair down,' another part worried about what kind of image she was showing Sir Mikael.

He would not think her too loose a woman, would he?

She was lucky that he was not looking at her when she was summoned; he was staring out of the cave they were in. His feet dangled as he sat upon a ledge, and his hands rested on a long wooden box. She had a few moments to gather her courage, stepping closer to stand by his side. Like usual, the sights he displayed took her breath away.

The cave entrance was high on a cliff, a narrow pathway led upwards, but that did not hold her attention. Neither did the fantastic view of the sky. They were high enough that they were over the clouds and the horizon, bathed in gold, stretched on for eternity.

What held her attention were the drakes.

Hundreds of them.

The mountains of the Island now played home to their fair share of the winged reptiles, but they were of a different breed. Blue, instead of red. They breathed lightning rather than fire. And there were only half a dozen at any one time. Nothing like the magnificent display before her eyes.

Artoria watched, enraptured as a flock (Flock? Hoard? Murder? What did one call a group of drakes anyway?) of the red creatures, twenty strong, crashed into another. The battle was fierce, with blood, scales, and bodies raining from the sky. Neither side won. They were ambushed by a larger group of beasts swooping down from above.

Two more drakes flew side by side, a trio of tiny little fledgelings flapping desperately to keep pace with their parents.

In the distance, a drake the size of the Hellkite somersaulted in the air before diving beneath the clouds. Roars and cries filled the skies in a cacophonous din that shook her body with the sounds.

"Did I ever tell you why I chose the Dragon Heritage from the catalogue?" Sir Mikael suddenly asked. He continued to watch the skies. Artoria would have been a bit put out by it if not for the fact she was enraptured as he was.

"Not me personally, though I have heard from the others that it was due to the ability to travel between worlds it afforded."

"I didn't lie," he explained. "You see, there were other ways to travel between worlds. One of them, 'Trajectory. Agreement.' I believe it was called, would give me even better control than Dragon Break. I chose to 'Be The Dragon' despite it being inefficient becau- hrk."

So lost in the wonder of the view was she that the King of Knights hadn't noticed Sir Mikael turn towards her as he talked. His words had caught in his throat as he caught sight of her outfit. Artoria flushed in embarrassment but still stuck out her chest proudly as Medea had instructed. She had been insistent that the bunny suit would grab his attention.

The hungry look that dwelled in Sir Mikael's eyes as he stared at her form led the King to reaffirm that Medea's advice bore fruit once more.

He stared at her in awed silence for over ten seconds, his mouth gaping open. She fought not to fidget. She enjoyed the outfit, the ears in particular, but now that she was aware of her romantic intentions with Sir Mikael, it added a new feeling. A fluttering in her stomach. A desire to flaunt her body in a wholly new way.

"That is an... interesting outfit," he finally choked out. After a few more seconds of staring, he mastered himself enough to look away. Artoria would have felt disappointed had she not noticed the occasional glances he sent her way.

"Medea has been kind enough to aid me with my wardrobe." Though she was still flushed in embarrassment and joy, Artoria said the words calmly. "I cannot wear my armour at all times, and the mansions provisions are nice but bare. I admit, she has some rather outlandish ideas, but I have enjoyed more than a few. Do you... like it?" Her calm facade practically fell apart near the end, and she almost whispered the question.

"I do! I really do!" He nodded his head vigorously in answer before calming once more. "But you should be careful. I don't think Medea intends any harm, but she can be tricky." Artoria narrowed her eyes at the man. She knew the seige on his heart would not be won easily, but she hadn't expected him to try and sow dissension in the ranks. Not that she would fall for it, particularly with her trusted advisor. Medea was so much better than Merlin ever was.

"Let me worry about that. You were telling me why you wished to be a dragon?"

"Right, got a bit sidetracked there," he muttered to himself. "I suppose it all started with a dream. A bit silly in hindsight, how much one dream decades ago could fundamentally shape who I was."

"If I learned nothing else from Merlin, it is that dreams can be mighty."

"Who am I to argue with Merlin," he said sardonically before continuing. "It was a silly dream. I was eleven, I think, and had just finished reading one of the Harry Potter books. If you aren't familiar, I'm sure the library at the mansion has them and the films. Despite my many problems with them and their author, it was an incredible story to me as a child. To make a long story short, people could fly using broomsticks as mounts in the books."

"Broomsticks?" She couldn't help but ask incredulously. "But they are so thin? How is one supposed to maintain a proper riding position?"

"Trust me, that was one of the books' most minor problems. But anyway, I finish the book and go to bed. I imagine millions of children had a similar dream of flying broomsticks. I wasn't playing quidditch, the sport they played in the books. I was just flying. It was a nice dream. But then the broom disappeared from under me. I panic for a moment, vertigo taking over as I start to fall. If I had woken up at that point, I probably would have been a completely different person today.

"But I didn't wake up. As I fell, I started to fly with nothing below me nor above, just me and the sky. The rest of the dream is blurry. I do not know how long I flew, what sights I saw or even if I ever stopped. I remember two things. Waking up crying, whether in joy or sadness, I do not remember. And I remember that feeling. That pure, wonderful, exhilarating feeling of freedom." Sir Mikael no longer turned to look at her outfit. He stared enraptured at the beautiful dance of dragons in the sky. Artoria could identify that look in his eyes. Jealousy. Envy. A longing that consumes a man and drives him to madness.

She smiled, happy that he trusted her enough to confide such a personal moment of his life to her.

"I've been chasing that feeling my entire life," he admitted. "I've taken up skating, skiing, boating, gliding, and any other activity that could give me the craving I sought. The closest I've come to is boating during a storm at sea. The Waifu Catalogue, for all that it is designed with romance and sex in mind, drew me to the dragon aspect. It is inherently a wish-fulfillment idea. Don't get me wrong, the chance to fall in love with any of you is more than most could hope for. But the ability to fly under my own power? That was what pushed me to write that original story."

"But you are trapped," Artoria said somberly. Every day the women learned more about how terrible Sir Mikael's circumstances truly were.

"Yep," though he said the word in a chipper tone, his voice was wet with emotions. "I know there is a body out there, MY body, that has everything I could ever want. It is just floating in space while I am trapped on the ground. This place, this Dragon Aerie, stirred me up something fierce. If you trust nothing else, trust me on this." Sir Mikael stared at her, eyes not drifting below her own. He didn't look sad. He looked angry. "I will beat this world. No matter what it takes, I will get that body. I will fly!"

He stood suddenly. Standing up, he towered over Artoria by more than a few inches. She wasn't startled. She had sensed their interloper as soon as he did.

A drake, not of a size with the Hellkite beast she felled but large nonetheless, had spotted Sir Mikael. It was hundreds of meters above their position, and was diving at him fast.

Calmly and with a focus the King of Knights would be proud of, Sir Mikael removed his bow from his back. It was a simple longbow similar to the ones of her homeland. He notched an arrow from his quiver, its head crackling with lightning, and took aim.

A moment of stillness overcame the man as he held his breath.

In a flash, he released the bolt and his breath at once.

With her abilities, Artoria was able to follow the missile easily. Though it travelled hundreds of meters instantly, she saw clearly as it met its target. At the moment between wing flaps, the bolt lodged itself in the drake's yellow eye. It cried out in pain as it tumbled from the sky, falling from view as it disappeared beneath the clouds.

"A fine shot," Artoria praised. "Sir Tristan would be envious of it."

"It wasn't that impressive," he denied as he retook his seat beside her. Far from acting humble, Artoria realized he genuinely considered that skill to be 'nothing.' "With Martial Talent and decades of practice, even if bows aren't my main tool, anybody will get good."

"Maybe," she doubted that was the case, but that wasn't the critical point. "Even so, the effort you put in and the skill you now have are not to be denied. If others decry that 'I could do the same if I had talent,' then let them look on in their envy. None of it should affect those who rise by their own merits. Talent and effort are two different things."

"Dealt with people like that a lot?" Sir Mikael asked curiously.

"More than I care to admit. More than once, I had knights apply for a seat at my table. When met with failure of some sort, they were quick to cry injustice at my ruling." While Artoria could not match the personal moment he shared earlier, she was happy to regale him with tales of her time at Camelot.

The following few hours were spent trading stories back and forth. Artoria would tell him of her knights and their misadventures, and Sir Mikael would speak of various ways they were portrayed in his world. While she had learned much from television and movies, their presence in games was new to her.

As Artoria opened the portal to return to the Island, she was stopped by her Knight's words.

"Just a moment," he said before she could step through. "I want to try something."

"Another test?" She asked in surprise. The fact that he was still attempting to find a loophole to his isolation was commendable. He hadn't given up after everything had fallen and decades had passed.

"Somewhat," he said as he slowly and carefully slid the box that had sat beside him closer to the gray portal. It was as long as he was tall, twice as thick, and made from weathered boards. This wasn't one of the bottomless ones he had shown before. He was careful not to jostle it. Once it was almost pressed against the rippling surface, he stopped and grinned at her. "You wanna see something cool?" He removed the lid.

Nestled inside, held softly in mounds of straw and cloth, were four massive eggs.

"Are those?" Artoria asked breathlessly.

"They are," he grinned at her expression. "I know living creatures cannot go through the portal, but dead bodies can. I hope these eggs do not count as completely alive just yet. Two are for Medea, for her studies, but the other two are for you. I understand Camelot had something of a menagerie, but I do not think you ever got the chance to raise some drakes." He replaced the lid and carefully slid the box through the portal. It went in without issue. "I guess that answers that question."

If Artoria could, she would kiss the man right now.

She had to settle for staring at him with the same intensity he had when he first saw her in her bunny suit.

*******

Only a few things to say about this one. We learn more about Mikael and what drives him as well as a bit of setup for plot points in the main story. I hope I have conveyed that, far from being downtrodden by his circumstances, Mikael has never given up on finding ways around his situation. Does his situation suck? Definitely, but he hasn't given up hope. He is inherently optimistic.

BTW Arthurian mythologies are so weird. I went down a huge rabbit hole, both Fate and History based, for this chapter and got sucked into the mythos. One of these days I will need to do an Omake about the Knights of the Round, just for the nyuks of it.

44