34. No more.
24 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rain poured relentlessly from the darkened sky, each droplet colliding with the ground in a symphony of sound. The sounds of echoing thunder rumbled, reverberating in the air, and shaking the earth beneath. Flashes of lightning illuminated the towering sky-trees in the Ivan estate striking the tree, casting an eerie glow upon the soaked landscape. Ray sat hunched on a stone slab near one of these magnificent sky tree trunks, his body drenched by the downpour. His legs were crossed, and his eyes remained fixed on the motionless scenery before him.

 

The memories of his dreadful past resurfaced, creeping into his mind like a relentless nightmare. His brows furrowed, and his voice emerged as a whisper carried away by the wind.

 

"Will I ever be able to go back home?" Ray's words were barely audible, filled with doubt and longing. The weight of his emotions cracked his voice, revealing the turmoil that consumed him. He questioned his choices, unsure if he had pursued the right path. What had he done to deserve the cascade of problems that were in his way? Why was he treated as if he were some kind of monster or anomaly? Ray's eyes twitched with anger, his expression morphing into one of contempt for Orion.

 

“I thought I could do something with this life.  After everything I have been through, I am not sure anymore.” His voice cracked every now and then. All the emotions were weighing him down. It’s something he felt like he should pursue as if a voice in him is telling him that.

 

“I’m sick of being treated like a nuisance. Like some monster or an anomaly.” Ray said with his eyes twitching with anger.

 

Lost in his thoughts, Ray suddenly heard the rustling of leaves nearby. His gaze shifted, and there stood Allister, calling out his name. Allister had been searching for Ray, his eyes scanning the sky tree area. He pushed aside the large leaves and bushes, revealing Ray sitting there, unmoving, and unaffected by the cold weather and rain.

 

Allister had seen this look. He knew it all too well. A part of him felt like he was reliving his childhood. Allister just quietly sat near Ray without a single word as he settled down beside Ray, their clothes becoming soaked by the rain, he understood the distant look in Ray's eyes. He had seen it before, felt it himself a glimpse into a childhood filled with loneliness and rejection.

 

"Nobody likes high humans here," Allister murmured, his voice a whisper carried by the rain. "They loathe our very existence. And that includes hybrids like me."

 

“You know I never had a childhood in the empire. They exiled me when I was little along with my father. The reasoning was simple. I was half-breed. My father got plenty as well. He was held in the mainland while he left me here in this city with an old acquaintance’s care.”

 

“I have faced many issues here alone up until 3 years ago.”

With a pause, he continued.

 

“It’s been hard as hell. Still is. You know the people in the estate don’t like me as well. Just tolerate me.” Allister said.

 

Ray remained still, his attention focused on Allister's words. He listened as Allister recounted his own painful past, the rejection, and abandonment he had faced since childhood. Allister's voice wavered, his head hanging low, but a bitter smile touched his lips as the spoke of the hardships he had endured for years.

 

Ray's surprise was evident, his gaze peeked on Allister. He had not expected such vulnerability from him. Without moving or engaging in conversation, Ray couldn't help but think that he had a tragic event that happened to him just like himself.

 

Allister’s eyes met Ray's as he leaned forward with a resolute remark. "Sometimes, you get a bad start," he said. "But I refuse to let others push me down. You have the same choice. "

 

"Don’t compare me to yourself. I was born a null. I am truly powerless in this godforsaken world that is hostile toward me at every turn. My fate has been sealed. Unlike you" Ray retorted, his voice dripping with bitterness. He couldn't fathom Allister's unwavering determination, his belief that sheer willpower alone could pave the way to success.

 

Allister's gaze softened, and he reached out, placing a comforting hand on Ray's shoulder. "It's not about changing fate," he explained gently. "It's about defying it. Showing the world that you won't be defeated by the hand we've been dealt. We always have a choice."

 

Ray pulled away, a mixture of anger and sadness clouding his features. He clenched his fists, his frustration growing. "And what about those who never had a choice?" he asked, his voice filled with anguish. "What about those who were born into suffering, into darkness?"

 

Allister's expression remained calm his gaze drifted to the pouring rain "I'm not saying it's easy, or that everyone has the same opportunities," he replied. "But if we let our circumstances define us, then we're surrendering to fate without even trying. We owe it to ourselves to fight for something better."

 

Ray pulled away, a mix of anger and sadness clouding his features. "I know. I had this talk before with someone close. I’m just fed up with everything and everyone. To hell with acceptance.”

 

“For my whole life, I tried to live to match others’ expectations. Not anymore. I’ll do it for myself, and I will destroy anyone that will stand in my way.”

 

Allister stopped talking. He knew his words could not reach him.

“This kind of hate for the world and everyone will consume you, Ray. I hope you won’t be blinded by it.” Allister thought

 

“Let’s go. It’s already late.”

 

Allister finally said, rising from the stone slab. The rain had begun to subside, and he left the area, his footsteps fading away. As he walked, he carried with him the weight of his own past struggles and the hope that Ray would find a way to rise above his anger and find his own path.

 

 

A heavy stillness settled over the scene, accompanied by the rhythmic patter of rain washing away the remnants of their conversation. Ray remained on the stone slab, his gaze fixed on the distant horizon, a maelstrom of emotions churning within him. As darkness descended, Ray rose to his feet. Passing by the garden, he caught sight of his mother holding Lilly in her arms, both taking a leisurely walk. Lilly appeared weak and drained. Spotting them, Ray decided to take a detour, not wanting to disturb their peaceful moment.

 

Silently navigating the dark, he moved along the left side, skirting the neighboring houses, and gradually made his way toward the estate building. As he walked, he overheard their conversation, prompting him to pause and eavesdrop.

 

"I want to see the moons. Where are they?" Lilly's voice sounded cute, tinged with a hint of disappointment as she couldn't spot them.

 

"Soon. We will see them in the winter. We can have a lovely picnic when they grace the sky," his mother replied.

 

Upon hearing this, Lilly fell silent, her gaze turning toward the heavens. Ullie, taken aback, realized that her child might not make it until winter, as her condition continued to deteriorate.

 

"Yes, darling, and we'll have a picnic together," Ullie added, her voice filled with a sense of sorrow and helplessness. Ray listened to their conversation, his fists clenching as he felt the weight of his powerlessness. The dire circumstances and the suffering of the people he held dear consumed him. Taking a deep breath, he walked away with a resolute determination to see this through.

 


 

The next morning, an envoy barged into the estate, none other than the people Ray had left to defend the city borders. Ivan's team arrived with numerous casualties, and Ivan himself was severely injured. As the news spread like wildfire, the entire estate buzzed with commotion.

 

In the corridors of the building, where others were tending to the wounded and helping the injured, a few guards stood, discussing the arrival of Ivan's team. The sight of the wounded softened their usual stern expressions. One guard turned to the others, his gaze fixed on the injured.

 

"Did you hear? Our leader, Ivan, has been badly injured. It seems he might be incapacitated. He's currently receiving treatment."

"Those damn council members underestimated the threat. How many of us will be used as cannon fodder?" another guard exclaimed.

 

"I heard it was a war titan from one of the envoy's personnel. They claimed to have stared death in the face and miraculously survived. Ivan and the commander of the champion knight order saved their lives," chimed in another guard.

 

"They're lucky to be alive, honestly. I hope we never hear the name of that creature again—a forgotten relic from a dark era," added another guard.

 

"Let's go and offer our help, see if they need anything," one of them suggested.

 

Avan, who had overheard their conversation while standing nearby in the morning quickly understood the commotion, hurried to see his father. Opening the door, he found three people seated on chairs near a bed where Ivan lay, unconscious and heavily bandaged on his arms and chest. The eerie silence was deafening, emphasizing the gravity of the situation. Avan quietly took a seat in one of the empty chairs.

 

A doctor examined Ivan, while everyone, including Ivan's family, anxiously awaited the verdict. Each time the doctor touched Ivan's body; sparks of electricity flickered as if his body overflowed with energy. His body was emitting a very faint glow as his skin glittered a little.

 

"The exposure to the abysmal energy output from the threat he faced has affected Ivan, halting his regeneration and healing completely. It's possible that the loss of both his hands might be permanent. For now, he needs rest and time to recover. Only time will tell if he can bounce back from this. I'll need to monitor him closely every week for any changes. Sadly, I must ask you to prepare for the worst," the doctor said, looking at the family members with a tinge of sadness. Delivering such news, hinting at possible future death, was never easy.

 

Meanwhile, Ray appeared deeply concerned as he discussed his father's condition through his mental link with Orion. Lilly clung to the stone, holding back her tears, pained to see her father in such a state.

 

"Orion, can you help him?" Ray pleaded with Orion in his thoughts.

 

"Perhaps. But I cannot leave the proximity of your sister. I'm doing everything I can to channel the energy I gather from others. This situation might be a blessing in disguise. I could attempt to tap into the abnormal energy coursing through Ivan's body and buy your sister even more time," Orion replied.

 

"Do it. Things are about to get much more complicated now," Ray said, his gaze fixed firmly on Orion. He despised Orion, yet he found himself dependent on him for the time being.

office is hella hard bruh. I just can't find the time. Too tired to do it after my shift. I just did this in my office lol. I wonder if its not boring. Now we are very close to the past reveal of rayhein and avan as they get into conformation

1