34.5 Wishful thinking.
21 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 Ray stood firm, his gaze fixed on Ivan. He observed what the doctor and others were doing, and his mind drifted to a memory of facing a dark rift walker that would have killed Lilly and him. He led it away from her room. It was a moment when Ivan had fearlessly stepped in to confront the creature, risking his life to save Ray. Others from the estate had also come to his aid. A bitter smile formed on Ray's face.

 

"I wish I had that kind of help when I was cloned," he thought, bitterness tainting his words. "No one reached out to pull me from the abyss. Only dragging me into more suffering and damnation."

 

His eyes shifted to the stone that called itself Orion. Lilly was holding the stone in her arms. Ray's emotions swelled, unfamiliar feelings of anger causing his hands to tremble and his face to contort with resentment. Sensing the hostility, Orion reached out to Ray telepathically, just as before.

 

“I feel your animosity. What's wrong?" Orion inquired.

Ray remained silent, unwilling to engage with Orion, and instead shifted his attention to his father lying on the bed. He calmed himself, not wanting to cause a scene, and contemplated what could have caused such harm to his father.

"What kind of world is out there? Monsters and all these things... How this city is even considered safe? I wish I had been born here instead of being thrown into this world. It's hard finding info" Ray's thoughts were interrupted by the loud chatter of other patients in the ward. The room was filled with injured individuals.

 

"The entire community will be in turmoil. Who will lead now?" Ray wondered, his gaze drifting beyond his section of the medical ward to the chaotic scenes elsewhere within the makeshift hospital the estate had built. "Was it a monster attack in the expedition? I'm not so sure. One high-human is strong enough to handle dozens of threats alone."

 

As Ray lost himself in his thoughts, he noticed his mother struggling to hold back tears as she gently touched Ivan's face. Lost in her world Ullie looked at Ivan's state with sadness. Ivan had become her beacon of light when she thought she might perish. A memory flickered in her mind as she made contact with his face, but Ivan's body still overflowed with energy, causing a discharge that stung her hand. Undeterred, she continued to touch his face. Lily and Avan, both deeply concerned for their father, watched the scene unfold. Avan, in shock, couldn't find the words to express his disbelief in his father's defeat.

 

"This can't be happening. How did Father get hurt this badly?" Avan muttered, his hand trembling as he pressed it against his face. Lily, tears streaming down her cheeks, clutched a stone in her hands while sitting on the bed beside her father.

 

"Hic...Heal, papa... Hic," Lily hiccupped, her pleas accompanied by hiccups as she stared at the stone. Ray noticed the immense affection the family displayed towards Ivan. However, their tender moment was interrupted when the doctor approached and addressed them.

"Please leave him to recover and wake up. Disturbing him like this might cause unwanted problems," the doctor advised.

 

The family understood the situation and reluctantly rose, making their way out of the medical ward building. As they left, Avan glared at Ray, his resentment evident.

 

Ullie carried Lilly and headed towards their building, while Ray lagged behind, observing the numerous people leaving the ward, some with bandages, while others appeared unscathed. Ray followed Ullie slowly, but Avan intercepted him, blocking his path.

 

Ray's brows furrowed, his eyes fixed on Avan. The two locked gazes the tension palpable in the air. Ray's voice dripped with coldness as he spoke.

 

"What do you want?" he asked as his crimson eyes shone in the sunlight. His words were laced with an edge.

 

Avan remained silent, his response a simple but powerful display of magic as he set his hand ablaze. Flames flickered, casting a glow on his face. The atmosphere grew even more charged, their confrontation reaching a boiling point. Neither of them showed any signs of yielding. Ray let out a weary sigh and he brushed past Avan, who couldn't resist taunting him. Yelled at him.

 

"You think you can just walk away? I didn’t think you had the gall to attack me. Try again this time. Or are you going to run away like a coward? I dare you to try again.” Avan's voice carried his frustration and anger, the flames in his hands intensifying in tandem with his wild emotions. The commotion attracted a small crowd, with a few onlookers witnessing the unfolding drama. Ray couldn't ignore Avan's taunts.

 

Ray abruptly stopped and turned away from Avan, his frustration evident in his tone. "I'm tired of your antics and cliché remarks," he said curtly. Facing Avan again, Ray glared at him with his cold eyes making Avan waver a little

 

"I've had enough of your tantrums," Ray snapped. "Let's settle this tomorrow in a secluded place on the training grounds. Stop causing scenes and embarrassing yourself. It's time to end this once and for all and resolve our differences."

 

Ray walked away, paying no heed to Avan's protests. Some onlookers stopped Avan to cease his actions, discouraging further commotion. Eventually, both parties dispersed, leaving Avan seething with anger at Ray's audacity. As night fell and cast its embrace upon the sky, Hans served dinner on the table. However, for the first time, Ivan's absence was felt deeply, casting a shadow of unease over the gathering. Ray noticed the somber expressions worn by everyone, from the staff working in the house to every resident of the estate. Consuming only a meager portion of his meal, his appetite diminished, and Ray decided to call it a day. He retired to his room, lying in bed, his mind consumed by the events of the day.

 

"My life just keeps on piling up problems” A bitter smile was on his face as he said these words with his eyes just drifting to things in his room “I hope Orion can help Ivan and perhaps find a solution for Lily's predicament as well. I really thought time would just pass by in a flash and school entrance exams would start."

 

Ray sighed and took out the piece of the glowing branch he had tucked away in his drawer. Looking keenly at the patterns on the white glowing branch his eyes and thinking were distracted for a while before he put it away. His smile vanished, replaced by a look of disdain.

“So much for that wishful thinking”

 

Hiya guys. This is not a chapter but just a buildup. Going to do a big chapter soon. XD

1