The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 4 – Bottleneck and Magical Startup
1.7k 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I began standing upright, clutching the planks of my crib for balance. It has become a bit less difficult to get footing but I don’t have enough body strength to walk or stay like this without the support.

-I suppose it would be creepy for a baby who’s not even a day old to have the power to walk, in fact, I’d consider it strange that I can even crawl.

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.1!』

I can feel myself getting tired, but...I feel more ‘stable’ than I was the last time. But with that said, it doesn’t mean that I’m improving much and even considering that I don’t know the average stats of a normal person in this world, I can’t say I feel too proud of myself.

-Don’t MC’s usually start out or find some sort of ‘appraisal-type’ ability near the beginning of the story? But, I guess that’d be if I had one of those ‘blessings.’

Though, I feel that’ll be harder on the ‘Witch of Fate’ than us, considering she actually has to have her power stolen and mixed with foreign elements by the other gods. Maybe by helping us get revenge, she has some way to steal back her power…

-But I don’t know anything at this point about what the gods intend to do with the powers if the reincarnators can’t handle them. All I know is that they will have powers I don’t have and will be brought here for a generic quest, with no certain villain.

After all, despite what little she told me about the ‘Resurgence of Demons,’ she didn’t actually tell me if there was a demon lord or ‘dark god’ leading the charge. That is how it works in most stories, but there could be other explanations.

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.1!』

-If I remember right, I had 1.6 stamina and if we add in the 0.2 points I’ve earned, then I am almost at 2 stamina! It isn’t that great of an accomplishment for a normal person, but for me it’s great!

If I have 2 stamina, then maybe I can stand up for a minute or two more. Granted it won’t have that much impact for me as an adult, but it’s a stepping stone for my development! Unfortunately, it will probably serve as proof for my theory of decaying returns, in regards to my stats.

Fate: “Guhhh...hhh...h…”

-I guess...I was a bit too excited, but...it seems my fatigue is quickly catching up with me…….

But with all that said, I don’t have that much stamina and since I’m a baby with not much development in any of my other stats, 2 stamina is practically nothing. But maybe my goal should be…

-End...to end. I want to...be able to get...from...one wall of the room...to the other without getting...tired. That way...I’ll be able...to start my...agility...training…!

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.1!』

-0.1 points... to go...!

I can feel my strength draining and my urge to simply fall asleep on the floor, growing...

-But I can...take...it! I can...keep going...until...I’ve achieved...today’s...goal!!..!

I feel my legs keep trying to give way from under me and my mind slipping from consciousness. It’s similar to yesterday, but the feeling seems to have intensified. This must be the bottleneck for my first point increase.

-If this is anything... similar to the novels... I’ve read, there’s always a point where... it... feels like you make no... progress but you just need... to overcome the limit. I didn’t think……. it’d be that way for one point of stamina, but… the difference in feeling is... probably...larger for a baby…….

Fate: “Guuu...ug…….uuuuhhhh!!!”

-Come...on…..you……….b*tch!

『【Stamina】has increased to 2!』

*Gasp!* *Exhale!* *Inhale!....*

Fate: “Guuu…….”

-I have officially...made...it...to the next...point…!

I passed the first bottleneck! But that was only 1 point and I could only barely hold on. I should probably get back in my crib before anyone comes to check on me…

I hoist myself through the gap with what strength I have left, even leaving the plank moved to the side without trying to put it back…

-Go...ood...ni..ght….

I gaze at the moon, before falling asleep. So I guess I’m officially a day old…

Fate: “m..uuu..nn….”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*creak*

Jacob: “Young master, I’ve come with a drink…!...”

I see the young master, his face sweating and red with beads of sweat running down his forehead!

-Just what happened?!

I don’t remember my lady or myself allowing anyone into the young master’s room...Lady Agatha made sure that none of us were wearing clothes that contained pestilence or spells that could disturb the examinations!

- Does this mean that someone in the mansion snuck into the room to see him, but if so who?!

Jacob shifted his gaze around the room, trying to spot any idiosyncrasies that could lead to a possible conclusion. Until he noticed a board that had been pushed out of the side of the crib.

-Could he have possibly strained himself enough, trying to move that plank, that he ended up in this condition?

He checked all around Fate’s small body, but not a single splinter mark could be found.

Jacob: “No, that doesn’t sound right…”

-Even if that were the case, it wouldn’t be this bad...Could it have been the soup? It was made from 'Spika' fruit after all... 

The more Jacob thought about it, the more he suspected that his master’s child might just have an extremely frail constitution. 

-The soup was made with Spika fruit in order to check their resistance and how well they would follow demands presented such pain, but the damage shouldn’t have been enough to cause this…

Jacob: “I shall inform the lady of this, but first…”

Jacob quickly passed through the open door and got a towel from one of the passing maids, before rushing to the bathroom and wetting the towel using the faucet.

-I must stabilize his condition, or else the lady will be quite upset with me.

Even if the lady had a certain level of disgust for the child, if he died, then the house would lose a potential heir! Such a thing would not favorable for any noble family, and regardless of how the news was spread, the household would be scorned relentlessly if it ever got out that they allowed their own child to die under their roof!

-I must not allow this to happen, I shall never allow my lady and her house to suffer such an indignity!

And so, with a moist towel and a bucket of water in hand, Jacob dashed through the halls back to the newborn’s room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ughhh...why is everything hot..?

Fate: “Uhhhhhh…”

I tried shifting my head only to realize that my head was moist, with something covering it and that my body was in a good deal of pain. But the pain was bearable and was probably just extreme muscle pain and built-up fatigue from the workout.

-I should try and see if anyone is around. It can’t be good for an infant to be in this kind of pain, considering that an infant shouldn’t even be doing something like this or usually wouldn’t be able to…

Fate's condition definitely wasn't normal by any standard. If it were any other infant, they would have most likely died the minute they emerged from the womb, and his attempting to push his abnormal body to its limits just a day after being born would most definitely constitute a critical lapse in judgement on his part. However, he didn't think of this, nor did he question what manner of power allowed him to survive.

I see Jacob sitting next to my crib in a chair, probably retrieved from some other room, with his head covered placed in his lap and face buried in his hands.

-Wait, was this guy the one who put the towel on me? Is he genuinely concerned for me? I somehow doubt that’s the case...but, as Mom always said, "If you're too much of a cynic, then people aren't going to like you much," so I should be thankful, I guess.

Fate: “Uuuuhh…*cough!*...hhh…”

I let out a sudden cough, as my throat started to feel as though it were on fire. Clearly, my condition was worse than just being sore from a "workout."

Almost immediately after my unintended outburst, Jacob picks his head up and directs his gaze towards me. I feel a chill crawl up my spine, even as I continue to let out loud coughs and my throat burns and itches...

-Why am I coughing so much? Am I sick? Oh...yeah, it's probably that damn, inferno chicken soup from hell that I forced myself to down last night. Great, so now my memory as an infant in this world sucks even more than when I was an autistic teenager on Earth where I couldn't even remember last night's dinner unless I wrote it down, f***ing fantastic!

Jacob stands up from his chair and reaches his hand to grab the moist object off my head, which appears to be a small towel. He then placed his other hand on my head and checks my temperature for a minute, before soaking the towel in a bucket of water located next to the chair and then placing the dripping towel back on my forehead.

He seems to ignore my gaze, but I can feel an extreme worry in his glare.

-Oh, he’s just worried that he’ll lose his job if he doesn’t take care of me. Well, that puts a damper on things more than this situation already did.

Fate: *cough!* *cough!* *cough!!*

Jacob walks over to the dresser and pours a small glass of water from a bottle that he had apparently placed on it at some point, before returning with it and lifting me out of my crib. He slowly raises the glass to my lips and signals for me to open my mouth to drink.

I drink it happily.

*gulp* *gulp* *gulp*

Despite how frail I am, I down the glass without delay, reveling in the pleasure that comes as the water fills my sore throat.

Fate: “Ahhh!”

I let out a happy sigh.

-My throat feels so much better...But seriously, what the hell did they put in that soup?

Jacob seems to notice my alleviated expression and has me drink the rest of the water over a period of minutes before placing me gently back in the crib. His careful, cold gaze seems to have lightened somewhat, and after inspecting me thoroughly a few times, he seems content. He then grabs the tray with the glasses on it, the bucket, and the towel from off my head and places them neatly on the chair and carries them all out of the room quietly before shutting the door.

*creak*

I watch him leave the room and wait a few seconds before allowing myself to heave a sigh of relief.

-Since my condition was bad before, he’ll probably be back soon. So I should see what I’m still capable in the meantime.

I try moving my legs and arms, but can only move slightly with great difficulty. I can still move my neck and head with barely any pain though.

『【Endurance】has increased by 0.1!』

-Wow, the pain of moving my limbs is putting so much strain that my endurance is increasing. It must be some sort of muscle tearing. Fortunately, with some rest, it should heal just fine and become somewhat stronger for it.

I try to move and exercise again, but the pain and my fatigue just won’t let me try any more than I already have. Well, considering that I should be way more hurt than I am...

-I guess that +0.1 Endurance will have to do for now. I might as well try going into a trance again since I don’t have anything better to do. 

I lay back and make myself comfortable before clearing my mind of all thoughts and, once again, entering a trance-like state. The air grows cold and light vanishes from the world, as I am left sitting in an empty space.

-So this again? I thought magic was supposed to be obvious to see and find...but I guess that particular idea only applies when you know what you’re looking for.

Last time, I was rushed out of my trance before I was able to find anything, but hopefully this time will be different. I can't move from my position in this state.

-Perhaps my ability to move around in a trance is dependant upon my physical or mental prowess, but in both departments, I’m sorely lacking. In other words, I’m out of luck. Wait...luck…? Or….

I could feel my lips curling into a smile.

-How about【Fortune】! 

Fate: “Journal!”

A bound-book of spectral blue energy forms in front of me with the same words I remember on the binding, ‘for the Familiar of Fate.’

-But that was weird, my speech was actually enunciated and clear instead of baby talk? Still, with the journal, I might find something about it that applies to this void! But first…

I cracked open the journal, to page 2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  • Name: Fate
  • HP: 0.8/1.4
  • MP: 1/1
  • Level: 0
  • Race: Human
  • Age: 1 day old (18+ years old)
  • Job: None
  • Previous Jobs: None
  • Titles: 【Familiar of Fate】
  • Condition: Meditating, Fever, Exhausted

--------------------------------

  • Stats:
    • Strength: 1.1
    • Endurance: 1.4
    • Wisdom: 1.2
    • Intelligence: 1.0 (Knowledge of this world is low)
    • Stamina: 2
    • Agility: 1.0
    • Fortune: 1.0
    • Magic: 0.0

---------------------------------

  • Passive Skills: None
  • Active Skills: None
  • Unique Skills: None
  • Equipment: Fate’s Journal(Soul-bound)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-It looks like it kept track of my stats even when I wasn’t using it, this is good to know. I didn’t want to actually have to add up all of my stats in my head every time I wanted to measure my development.

Everything seems to be fine, except for a few status conditions. Looks like the fever I presumably had earlier is still going, the damage from the soup and the exercise haven't healed, and this trance is counted as a condition, apparently.

-But the first page hasn’t updated, which means the ‘Witch’ still hasn’t gotten to writing anything new. Plus, my knowledge pages haven’t recorded any new observations, except...

『Each stat appears to have different ‘bottlenecks’ for every individual, most likely based on previous stats.』

*thud*

I close the book with a thud and scan the exterior cover to cover, marvelling at the spectral blue glow surrounding it.

-No matter how much I look at this book, it seems exactly like one of those grimoires or tomes you'd see in fantasy stories. Glowy, floaty, and one in a vast array of colors.

But there still doesn’t seem to be anything around me...wait, there is something...It looks like a dim, small dark sphere of liquid.

-What is a random, colored space drink doing here?

I wouldn’t have even been able to notice that it was there if not for the dim light given off by the journal. But it just seems to be floating through the air, almost certain to barely pass overhead.

-If I just think it, can I reach out and grab it?

I keep trying to reach my body out to intercept it...but I can’t shift in the direction of the sphere.

-Ok, looks like I can’t stretch out with my whole body, but maybe if I really focus on just one part of me…

I try to focus all of my attention on my right arm and hand. Surprisingly, this seems to be working, albeit with severe difficulty.

-Yes...yes! Just a little further….

The strain intensifies and my arm, once again stops in midair, just a little below where the shifting, black sphere has almost reached.

-Crap! If I can...j-just...move...my hand!

I excitedly stretch my hand further outward, trying as hard as I can to grab the sphere! But my hand stops just before it can reach it!

-Please please... please, just…my…finger...!!!

I divert all the focus I have to move my finger just close enough to the sphere that it can reach! My finger passes through a low part of the liquid sphere and only manages to scrape away a bit of it before the rest of the sphere passes over my head and out of range of the journal’s light…

-All I got was…!

The small bit of liquid that I scraped from the sphere begins to squirm and shift, eventually turning into a thin, dark mist and scattering into my nose.

-It burns!!!

It feels like I just inhaled a spoonful of pepper! Soon, my conciseness begins to fade and I drift into sleep, with the feeling that something is running down from my nostrils…

『You have absorbed mana!』

『【Magic】has increased by 0.05!』

...

26