The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 51 – Fortune(2)
954 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jacob: “Ah, young master, you are awake!”

 

Fate stared at Jacob and Liza, initially frightened, but soon finding himself calmed by their mere presence. 

 

-That...was a dream, right?! Reality doesn’t have black water, disembodied arms, weird red platforms, stars that are made out of voices...probably, or...lord forbid, a f*cking underwater gravity of death! 

 

It definitely seemed to be strange compared to a normal dream and what Fate felt there certainly felt real to him, but he decided to shelve his concerns for later since he wasn’t there now and hopefully wouldn’t wouldn’t have to go back anytime soon.

 

Fate shifted his attention from his thoughts to Liza, eyeing her heavily bandaged arms with even more guilt than he had when the wounds were fresh…

 

He felt remorse wash over him, forcing him to revisit the memory repeatedly…

 

However, one of the bandaged limbs soon found its way to his shoulder and although it was in such a sorry state and not a strong grip, he could feel its intended sincerity. Even though he wanted to, he refused to turn his face to meet Liza’s gaze, instead opting to stare down Jacob.

 

Jacob: “Young master, I wasn’t aware that you would be so passionate for a rematch!”

 

Jacob’s gleefully disturbing tone immediately caused Fate to point his head downward, to avoid both of their gazes, hoping that Jacob wouldn’t actually take that as a genuine provocation.

 

Liza: “Young master, look up, please.”

 

Fate kept his head pointed towards the bed, forcing himself not to respond to her.

 

Liza: “Young master, look up!”

 

He continued to refuse her. He could hear muffled complaints that most likely came from inside of her pouting cheeks but still refused to look up. Finally, after a short while of repeated exasperated sighs and ‘hmph’-ing noises, Liza seemed to have enough of Fate’s stubborn behavior.

 

Liza: “Hmmm...I guess I’ll just have to not forgive you for what you did to me? I didn’t think you hated me that much, young master, but I believe that since you’re so adamant, I’ll just leave!”

 

Immediately after she said that Fate grabbed her waist from behind and held her in place with his aching body as an anchor. He still refused to speak, but the desire for her company was apparent, causing Liza to break into her trademark smile.

 

While this short interaction was occurring, Jacob spectated without saying a word, seemingly dumbstruck. However, this apparent shock was soon replaced with laughter, prompting both Liza and Fate to turn towards him…

 

Jacob: “Ha ha ha! The...level of your interaction! To think that this had managed to slip right under my nose, I must say that I’m ashamed of myself, ha ha ha!”

 

This time it was Fate and Liza’s turn to be dumbstruck, gawking at him as if he were a disturbing oddity someone might find one day in a random curio shop, like a tiki covered in blood or life-sized replica of a corpse. 

 

The laughing and gawking continued for a short while, but Jacob soon corrected himself, prompting both children to become cautious…

 

The pair gazed at the strange old butler, who knew this and yet would not inform his master the moment he found out. His reasons for calling Fate out and attacking him were also a mystery, causing even more discord in their hearts.

 

Liza: “...If you know this, why aren’t you reporting it?”

 

Jacob gave her a smug look and clicked his tongue at her, then took out a strange gem from his pocket. Fate had no idea what the stone was, but the shaking from Liza seemed to signify that it couldn’t be anything good…

 

Jacob: “Well, I had no true evidence, until now that is. If I had attempted to use the reactions of ‘easily manipulated’ children as proof, how could I call myself a proper servant?”

 

Liza clicked her tongue and grimaced. However, though his mood was foul and his expression just as sour as Liza’s, Fate’s eyes seemed somewhat optimistic…

 

Fate: “...So, you now have leverage, to get us to do whatever you please? Pardon my assumptions, but I don’t think that someone like you has much use for a fellow servant and a disowned child…”

 

Liza shifted her gaze to Fate in surprise and somewhat in dismay, knowing that disrespecting the master’s head servant, as he had could result in severe punishment and, if Jacob wished it, death.

 

However, as if to prove her wrong, Jacob began to laugh again, but quickly settled back down.

 

Jacob: “Although your line of thinking is a tad naive, young master, you truly do seem to have a wisdom that exceeds your years...or a semblance of it at least.”

 

Fate’s optimism quickly faded, despite it seeming that Jacob wouldn’t report them.

 

Jacob: “Indeed, if I were to report you right now, both of you...or at least the young master would most certainly be... summarily punished right away. However, as I am in possession of a certain degree of evidence, including a short record of your combat abilities, young master, a glorious opportunity has presented itself!”

 

Both Fate and Liza were shocked at his level of excitement, Fate more so since he had already witnessed a great deal of elation on Jacob’s part during their ‘battle.’ 

 

Jacob: “Young master, the opportunity is...you shall become my student!”

 

Both Fate and Liza’s consciousness’ blanked simultaneously.

...

19