The Familiar of Fate: Side Story 2 – Meanwhile with the Witch of Fate(2)
729 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The glistening figure, Vorn, lowered from the ceiling where he had originated, trailing his awe-inspiring aura behind him like a cape. At the same time, the Witch, in her starry gown which dragged across the floor, walked to the center of the massive room. Few gods seemed to acknowledge her presence, and she gave them none in return.

 

The Witch tapped her staff on the floor, making a prismatic throne appear from thin air, which she promptly sat down on while holding her head with her hands, clearly bored. She proceeded to manifest several orbs that floated towards the faces of her kin, followed by the appearance of spectral screens, which displayed them, next to her.

 

-Haaaahhh...I truly wish that they hadn’t requested that I appear like this. That this council has been called by that burnt-hair brat and in his domain, no less, only serves to make these interactions more troublesome…

P.S. - Got a question for you dudes out there...can you guess why a sun god would be born so late?

 

A large boom ran through the room, bringing everyone’s attention to its source, a gently smiling Vorn, who then landed on a plain, golden throne, much like those that some of the lower figures sat in, but it was quite more embellished. An image of a large golden sun with his face on it and prostrating figures were carved into the back, with images of sweeping flames littering the rest of its surface. 

 

Next to his throne was one that seemed to be entirely made up by a myriad of violent flames, each with their own colors, sizes, and intensities that seemed to be constantly growing in an attempt to dwarf each other. On it, sat a gargantuan mass of individual fireballs that came together to form one being, its skin made out of red and orange fires, while its slanted eyes were yellow with a set of large flames forming two blue fireballs that appeared to be its pupils. If one saw it up close, they would be shocked to find that it looked strikingly similar to a generic fire elemental, albeit slightly more articulated. 

 

???: “Ah, Vorn, you finally make time to join us. You called this council, did you not? I believe all of us here expected that you would already be awaiting us, and yet you have dallied, truly a disappointment.”

 

The flaming giant did not even bother to look at the newly arrived Vorn, who now looked wounded from this indgination, yet covered it up almost immediately.

 

Vorn: “And Father, it does my heart well to see you, my senior have appeared on such short notice...though admittedly, it would be a bit better if you had the intention to surface from whatever volcano you’re currently swimming in, instead of acting through one of your elementals…”

 

The giant, again, did not bother to look at him, but also seemed to make it a point to not acknowledge his words. However, the jubilant laughter from earlier on emerged once more, followed by a figure materializing in front of both of them.

 

The figure was dressed in what appeared to be black and white-stripped suit, with a thin cat-like tail emerging from the back, a bright purple bow tie around his neck, and symbols of playing cards, albeit with some variations to them, adorning it. His face was that of a cat’s, but possessed ghostly green eyes and sharp fangs, of which some protruded slightly from his mouth. On his head was top hat that matched his suit perfectly, but a large purple eye was centered near the brim and kept shifting its gaze between the two. This individual was the one who had attempted to take a shot at insulting Argast and his legion just a while ago, Tan.

 

Tan: “You know…~ I think your little light might have a point, respectfully, of course, sir…”

 

Vorn shot him a displeased glare.

 

Vorn: “If you wish to be a part of the conversation, then you’ll need several millennia and to not attempt to latch onto those superior to you, for I will not willingly cooperate with such a low-born deity that has risen, only through human greed and complacency.”

 

Tan’s face grew dark as he bared his fangs at Vorn, who almost cracked an arrogant smile at this display. However, he quickly noticed immense bloodlust targeting him, immediately staying his smile and potential insults, only giving Tan a shooing wave before returning his attention to his surroundings.

 

V - Tch, damned shadow! Act like you have a place among us for as long as you can because soon, I’ll surpass you and when that day comes...However, as for that fool, he should have his uses, I only need to stay patient...

 

The snazzily dressed god was obviously displeased, but seemed to find some comfort in that Vorn hadn’t found satisfaction in his rebuttal, at least it seemed that way on the surface. He quickly stretched himself back to his throne next to the war god and leisurely sat down, shrinking himself down and hanging his legs on its arm. 

 

These three gods were Vorn the god of the sun, Falkram the god of flames, and Tan the god of entertainment and deceit, though it seemed that the last was quite new and not very well respected within the gods’ circles. 

 

T - I may be inexperienced and my subordinate gods not as numerous...but I’m still on the council! They should at least give my ideas some thought...such as easing up on the restrictions they’ve placed on matters concerning the other worlds. Many of them don’t even have magic and yet they’re still able to create marvels in regards to entertainment, fashion, technology, and the improvement of life in general...I see no value in disregarding such knowledge!

 

The Witch stared bemusedly at the childish bickering through her screen but was disappointed that it ended so soon. However, another clap sounded, which seemed to signal the beginning of the ‘council’ session.

 

Vorn: “Ahem, welcome brothers and sisters! This council is now in session, please grant me your undivided attention, though I may not be worthy of it!”

 

The gods that were gathered seemed to heed his words, directing their focus towards him as he asked. Vorn fixed his smile and proceeded with his speech.

 

Vorn: “Firstly, I thank you all for heeding my summons and gathering to my humble abode, it is truly an honor to know that I am one so loved that my family would indulge my greedy requests! Secondly, today’s meeting is of the matter of the otherworlders!”

 

Though his greetings had only managed to gain some attention, this comment created quite a stir among the gods. While the other gods began chatting amongst themselves, Vorn shot a scornful glance at a few individuals, namely the Witch, Tan, the shadow-cloaked god, and several others, who it seemed had managed to get on his bad side. He quickly fixed his expression and raised his hands, causing the gods to once again, quiet…

 

Vorn: “I believe we all are aware of the threat posed by the ‘demonic resurgence’ and its potential to shake not just the realm of mortals, but our realms as well. As of our last meeting we have confirmed our collective desire to summon forth champions to ensure the safety of all those over whom we preside!”

 

The gods did begin speaking eagerly as they had done before, as they were aware of the severity of this threat. Their lives were inexorably interwoven with those who worshipped them and the world they were birthed from, thus they all could see the potential disaster that could arise from such a massive wave of annihilation.

 

Vorn: “To make clear the threat and the point of this meeting, I shall once again reaffirm our knowledge of the ‘demonic resurgence.’ As we are all aware, in times long past, the first gods were born of this world, tasked with the duty of creating, nurturing, and protecting the balance of life on Ilthea...However, though I was not yet matured at the time, I am painfully aware of the horror that befell this world, mere millenia ago…”

 

His expression grew grave and his tone sank into one of disgust and misery. Some of the other gods wore pained expressions but most maintained stoic looks, including those aforementioned. 

 

Vorn: “...Millenia ago, the gods lived in harmony with our children, with all the races that walked the world’s surface...The gods of the time were more numerous and much more powerful than we who matured and came into existence as the beings we are now. However, before true perfection and balance that our elders, such as my father, desired and have still desired could come about...he emerged...The Demon King, Infernity…”

 

At this point, even those gods who had remained stoic began to crumple, their brows knitting, and scowls scrawling across their faces.

 

Vorn: “How he came about is still an unknown, aside from that he emerged following an explosion that rocked the world and devastated the entirety of what is now the ‘charred continent,’ as the mortals have dubbed it, and rightfully so...He made his power known soon after he was discovered by our children, corrupting several of them...Humans, Elves, Spirits, Beastkin, elementals, dragons, and countless other children of ours...became his loyal servants, who would sacrifice their lives at his whim...our elders, tragically...were not spared…”

 

Before he could continue his story, Vorn was interrupted…

 

???: “BRAT, we know of the tragedies that befell our brothers and sisters!!! I need no reminder of what I was forced to live through...of the deaths of our children who adored us...the ruining of countless lands above and below the world’s surface...of the deaths of our kin at that primitive beast’s hands!!!”

 

Vorn bowed to the god who had silenced him, watching as sorrowful tears dripped from her eyes, which, though massive, were stopped by Falkram, who promptly evaporated them before they could flood the area the Witch sat in.

 

Though the other gods managed to hold back their tears and cries, none could escape the soul-crushing sense of gloom that spread over all those present…

 

Vorn: “Very well, I don’t believe...that I need to delve further into matters...of such...Ahem! I am truly sorry...for my shameful display!”

 

He raised his head and ran his sorrowful gaze through the gazes of all who would witness it, seemingly writhing in sadness. 

 

Vorn: “Now, as we have all agreed, and with the generosity and benevolence of our sister, the Goddess of Fate, we shall be using her power to summon and empower champions of other worlds to fight back the threat, as we had in the days of old!”

 

The collective sadness seemed to grow distant at the mention of these ‘champions.’ The Witch promptly stood up and banged her staff on the floor twice, again, causing the orbs which were displaying images of the gods to carry her voice to them…

 

Witch of Fate: “As young lord Vorn has stated, I shall be using my power to summon heroes and champions from the worlds of our choosing that are available to us...However, as he has also stated somewhat...our power is no longer what it used to be, and as such, I will be taking it upon myself, at the behest of this council, to split my remaining power among them that they may fight in our stead…”

 

Though the other gods seemed to grow ecstatic at the news, the Witch did not, instead, she gave a grim nod and allowed a sullen atmosphere to envelop her. Noticing this, a few of the others looked upon her with pity, while most of them seemed to still be caught up in the fervor that came at the mention of receiving champions to fight for them.

At this, Vorn raised his hands to signal for silence, causing stillness to return to the gods and their respective legions, once more…

 

Vorn: “Brothers, sisters, I am aware of the joy that had been experienced by our elders in the wake of their champions...However, let us not forget that our sister is already weakened...as a great many of her believers were slain in the catastrophe and she shall endeavour to aid us...by sacrificing what little of her power she has left for the rituals...We must never forget what she has done for us, and we must...neigh, we shall be victorious over this plague!!!”

 

With his speech concluded and his golden aura bursting forth at every word he spoke, a collective cheer went up amongst the legions of the gods and many of the subordinate and lesser gods, while the greater ones gave affirmative signs and nods. However, the witch gripped her staff in fury.

 

-You intend to offer me up as a sacrifice for your victory over resurrecting demons and mindless hordes of beasts...that the mortals may laud your praises over my carcass. Fools, all of them! That brat does not acknowledge the threats that lurk in the shadows, nor does he possess knowledge on how this resurgence comes...instead he simply incites their fears with stories of us older gods and our failures...of mine…! 

 

Though she gripped her staff in fury, a mad smile crept over her lips. While many gods cheered and prayed for the success of this ambitious plan, a great many others schemed...the Witch chief among them.

 

-Trying to force me to hand over my powers to those you select, just so that you can wage war on each other when the threat is abolished...ha ha ha ha ha ha aha ha!!! Eventually, though, you’ll see...my plan is already in motion...!!!

 

???: "I have a question, if I may, for our dear sister, whose sacrifice shall be the catalyst for our victory over these damned forces..."

 

All the gods turned their heads toward the figure, with the Witch now scowling clearly at a figure in pale-blue robes through the screen, who wore many silver ornaments...all of her attire carried one particular detail, a crescent moon. The Witch was now called upon by the Goddess of the Moon, Luna...

...

8