Chapter 5: Confession (The Past).
32 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daichi's weekly routine included frequent visits to the bakery—every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It appeared that he avoided coming on Tuesdays and Thursdays, most likely due to his busier schedule on those days.

Since Kaito had already seen Daichi yesterday, on a Wednesday, he was left with no other means to meet him. Sending a casual apology text about the previous night's incident felt too nonchalant. Likewise, dropping by Daichi's workplace seemed inappropriate, as Kaito didn't want to disrupt his serious work over a trivial matter.

The option of going directly to Daichi's house lingered in Kaito's mind. However, after the events of yesterday, the idea of visiting his house felt suspicious, especially considering it would be after work in the evening. What if Daichi misunderstood Kaito's intentions and further misinterpreted the situation?

"But waiting until tomorrow isn't an option either," Kaito muttered to himself, contemplating his next move. "It would seem as if I'm taking the situation lightly, as if I'm waiting for him to make the first move, which would likely make him angry..."

Kaito's ruminations were interrupted by Kasumi, who had been observing him for some time. She couldn't bear his aimless presence any longer. "Hey, if you're not going to work, go stand somewhere else! Are you so hungover that you've forgotten basic bodily functions? You've been mumbling nonsense all day!"

Startled by the sudden call-out, Kaito flinched. He had indeed been blocking the way, lost in thought with his hand propping up his chin. Making way for the grumbling older woman, he stammered in a flustered manner, "I-I'm not hungover."

"Have you looked in the mirror? It's only been one night, but you look like you haven't seen the sun in days! Don't drink so much on a weekday if you can't handle it!" she snapped, angrily packing away the items she was holding.

Kasumi seemed a bit on edge today.

Sensing Kaito's curiosity, Jiro took it upon himself to explain. "Apparently, she had an argument with her boyfriend last night, so she's not in a very good mood right now."

"Oh..." Kaito nodded in understanding before his attention was captured by Kasumi's rant.

"I swear, men think they're all high and mighty, believing they can do whatever they want. So what if I said no a few times? Does he think consent is irrelevant? And then he has the audacity to tell me I need to improve my attitude? I can't be tired anymore, huh? Did he think forcing a kiss on me would solve anything? Does he see me as that cheap? Tsk, that bastard..."

Consent... Forcing a kiss... Bastard...

Suddenly, Kaito felt very unwell.

"Oh, by the way," Kasumi interjected, seemingly calmer after her outburst, though still visibly annoyed. "Why didn't your 'Mr. Businessman' order any dessert today? He settled for a cup of black coffee, which is quite unusual for him."

...Eh?

Kaito impulsively grabbed Kasumi by the shoulders, his eyes widening. "He's here???"

"Yeah, don't you usually know these things since you text each other so often?" Kasumi swatted his hands away. "I assumed you were aware. He's been out there for like fifteen minutes."

It was true that Daichi usually informed him of his arrival through messages, which is why Kaito had been completely caught off guard just now. But more importantly, why had Daichi visited the bakery today? Thursdays were usually off-limits for him as a regular customer.

"You really didn't know?" Kasumi expressed genuine surprise. "Well, damn, maybe he didn't want you to know."

Yeah, maybe...

Kaito abruptly turned to leave the studio and rushed to the lounge. There, he found Daichi sitting in a window booth, absentmindedly gazing outside. The man had barely touched the cup of black coffee he had ordered, which had already turned cold.

"Daichi," Kaito called out, causing the older man's head to snap up.

"You certainly took your sweet time getting here," Daichi commented once Kaito stood before him.

"You didn't mention you were coming," the chef pointed out.

"I didn't?" Daichi seemed puzzled with himself. He genuinely had not mentioned his visit. Rubbing his forehead, he closed his eyes. "Sorry, it seems I really forgot."

Kaito observed him in a daze. Was it just his imagination, or did Daichi appear slightly disoriented today?

His usually well-groomed hair hung loosely, only slightly brushed to maintain some semblance of order. Instead of his usual complete tuxedo ensemble, he wore a simple white dress shirt and pants, paired with a haphazardly thrown-on long grey coat and loafers. And those noticeable eye bags... What was going on?

"When's your shift ending?" the older man suddenly interjected, jolting Kaito back to reality.

"Still over an hour until the shop closes."

Daichi nodded, his silence suggesting he intended to wait until then.

Kaito glanced around, realizing the sparse crowd at this hour. Even if a few more customers arrived, the rest of his colleagues could handle them.

"Give me a few minutes, I'll go change," he told Daichi, leaving no room for argument as he swiftly departed.

**

Kaito expressed gratitude as Daichi handed over a bottle of cold water he had bought from a nearby stall. They found themselves seated on one of the familiar benches in a nearby park, chosen by Daichi for its late hour and relative seclusion, ensuring an uninterrupted conversation.

The journey to the park had passed in silence, leaving Kaito struggling to find a suitable topic to break the ice. He fidgeted with the water bottle, desperately searching for the right words.

"So, you ended up hungover after all," Daichi teased, a snort escaping him. "I knew all that booze wouldn't do you any good."

"It's not that bad, is it?" Kaito asked, referring to his appearance. Even Kasumi had commented on it.

"You look like shit," Daichi retorted.

"Ah..." You're the one to talk, Kaito thought begrudgingly. "You're not looking so fresh yourself, Daichi."

Daichi glared at the younger man in evident accusation. "Gee, and I wonder whose fault that is."

M-Me? What did I do? Kaito's baffled expression only fueled Daichi's frustration.

"I hope that's not a look that says 'I can't remember a thing,' because I'd be really pissed if it is."

"That..." Kaito's face turned as red as a ripe tomato. "Of course, I didn't forget. I'm not that unconcerned!"

"Good, because something's been bothering me since last night," Daichi's tone grew serious. "Are you gay?"

The moment of truth arrived, causing cold sweat to trickle down Kaito's back.

If he's asking so calmly, what kind of answer is he expecting? He said it had been bothering him since yesterday. Is that why he looks like he hasn't slept properly?

I could use the alcohol as an excuse and say I wasn't in my right mind. He responded to the kiss too, so he must have been drunk as well.

Yes, if Kaito said it like that, things would go back to how they were. If they both admitted it was a drunken mistake...

[I need you sober.]

...Right.

He'd almost forgotten Daichi's words from yesterday.

After what felt like an eternity, Kaito finally mustered the courage to respond.

"I am."

Daichi's brows slightly rose in surprise, increasing Kaito's nerves as he tightened his grip on the water bottle. But he couldn't stop now. He wanted to let it all out, so he dropped his gaze and continued.

"There's also the fact that I like you. Not the kind of admiration a junior has for a senior or a friend. I might not remember all the nonsense I said yesterday, but my actions weren't just because of the booze. Well, the alcohol did give me some confidence, though, because I've wanted to do that to you for a long time, and..."

Kaito trailed off, realizing he had started rambling. Taking a deep breath, he concluded his words.

"What I mean is, I have feelings for you, Daichi."

There, he said it!

He mustered up enough courage to confess, even though it deviated from his original plan. Confessing so soon—no, confessing at all! How would Daichi react?

Feeling a wave of anxiety, Kaito raised his gaze to observe Daichi's reaction... only to be stunned, his instinct urging him to flee for his life. Daichi's hooded expression made Kaito sense danger, almost pushing him to the edge of the bench in fear.

Oh no, it's over...

However, Daichi merely stood up, took a few steps away, and paused. He retrieved a box of cigarettes, lit one, and took a long drag.

Observing this, Kaito sensed the situation didn't bode well for him.

In all the time he had known Daichi, the man only smoked when burdened with heavy thoughts. This seasonal smoker on the verge of quitting relied on cigarettes to help him find solutions to serious matters.

No wonder he wasn't in the mood for sweets today.

Thus, Kaito patiently waited for Daichi to finish. Thankfully, Daichi put out the second cigarette, bringing a temporary end to his contemplation.

"When you told me all this, what kind of reaction did you expect?" Daichi finally turned his attention towards the other person, though he made no movement to rejoin him on the bench.

"I... I don't know," Kaito admitted, his head bowed. "I never planned for you to find out like this."

"Then how were you planning to tell me in the future?"

"........"

"And how long were you going to wait?" Daichi raised an eyebrow. "Wouldn't it have been too late if I suddenly found someone else? You did know that I'm straight, right?"

Kaito felt a sharp pang in his heart. He pursed his lips, closed his eyes, and whispered, "I know."

Shoving his hands in his coat pockets, Daichi kicked at some loose pebbles on the ground. Almost inaudibly, he added, "Well, at least I was straight, until recently."

Kaito's head shot up at those words, locking eyes with Daichi for a brief moment before the older man averted his gaze.

"Hey, what's with the intense staring? You're going to burn a hole right through me."

But Kaito couldn't bring himself to joke. Not after what Daichi had just revealed. "Until... recently?"

"I willingly made out with a guy in my own car last night," Daichi continued, still avoiding eye contact. "Not only that, I proceeded to think about that kiss and even had strange dreams about the guy, driving me almost to the brink of madness. I may not know much about these things, but I'm pretty sure a straight man isn't supposed to feel this way about another dude."

"Daichi, what... what are you saying?" Kaito's voice trembled with a glimmer of hope shining in his eyes.

"Seriously," Daichi turned his head completely away, a rare blush creeping up on his ears. "Do I have to spell it out for you? I'm saying that I wouldn't mind having that kind of relationship... with you, I suppose."

Ever since that unexpected kiss, Daichi had been in a state of disbelief and confusion. It was his first time being aroused by another man's touch, which led him to do some late-night research.

He used to be straight; that much was certain since he never felt any sexual attraction towards men before. But now, with these strange feelings for Kaito, could he be considered bisexual? Or was there another term he stumbled upon during his online exploration? Something like bi-curious...?

"Really?" Kaito's response came after a moment, his voice sounding closer than before.

"Fuck, I'm not saying it again, you—" Daichi's words hung in the air as a pair of strong arms suddenly wrapped around him from behind, pulling him into a warm embrace with his back against Kaito's broad chest.

Being someone who spent most of his time in the studio, baking all sorts of pastries, Kaito's scent carried a mixture of flour and essence, with a hint of his natural woody fragrance. As Daichi breathed it in for the first time, he found it strangely comforting.

"You'd better not take back those words, senior," Kaito murmured, burying his face in the crook of Daichi's shoulder.

Daichi's heart raced. He hadn't anticipated this sudden move from Kaito, but he couldn't bring himself to push him away either. "I hope you're not fucking crying, otherwise I'll really kick your ass."

Kaito's laughter was muffled against Daichi's shoulder. "You shouldn't say things like that at a time like this."

"Then don't ambush people when they're not looking."

"Alright," Kaito loosened his grip, turning Daichi to face him, and embraced him once more. "Senior was right, this position feels much better."

"What did I say about that word?" Daichi warned, but Kaito simply laughed it off. Daichi also noticed a couple in the distance, stealing curious glances their way, and resisted the urge to shoo them away.

It wasn't that Daichi minded the embrace, but... being so openly affectionate in public like this, was it normal for Kaito?

"Alright, alright, I'm not going anywhere. Isn't the hugging enough?" Daichi made countless futile attempts to shove Kaito away, but the guy wasn't budging. Can't believe this is my life now...

"I really want to kiss you," Kaito's voice was barely a whisper, and the request sent shivers down Daichi's spine.

"What the— All of a sudden???"

"It's been on my mind the whole damn way here," the younger man leaned back, his cheeks flushing with a deepening blush. His eyes held a world of meaning as he confessed, "I was sad that if we parted on bad terms today, I'd never get this close to you again."

"That's the cringiest thing I've ever heard."

"But it's true," Kaito reached out, his fingers tracing Daichi's temple, gently tucking away stray strands of dark hair. He pleaded softly, "So, can I?"

If Daichi were to compare the sissy male he arrived with earlier to this demanding figure now hungering for him, he'd never believe they were the same person.

So, this is who he really is? Intriguing.

With a smirk, Daichi reminded him, "Yesterday, you just dove right into it and kissed me out of nowhere. Got your manners back?"

Kaito's request was prompted by Kasumi's earlier rants, which kept replaying in his head. He didn't want to be labeled a bastard for not seeking Daichi's consent before making a move.

"You could say," he muttered, leaning in. But Daichi's palm intercepted him midway, stopping him this way for the second time.

"Just smoked. I'll taste like an ashtray," Daichi warned.

Kaito wasn't about to let a trivial inconvenience stand in his way. Brushing aside that interfering hand with a nonchalant "that's fine," he finally sealed their distance by capturing Daichi's lips with his own.

Kaito's kiss was tender yet all-consuming, soft yet brimming with passion. In that moment, nothing else mattered, and all he could think about was Daichi's response. The older man wrapped an arm around his neck, drawing him closer while angling his head for a much deeper connection. Their bodies pressed together, and the rhythmic thumping of their hearts echoed a little too loudly, immersing them in their own private world.

The park was still filled with onlookers, but neither of them cared. This was real, and it was happening.

Kaito wished the moment could stretch on forever, but damn his lungs - they demanded air, forcing their lips apart. Seeing Daichi gasping for breath, just like him, filled him with pure elation.

"What?" Daichi's tone lacked kindness.

Kaito traced his thumb across the other person's lips and smiled. "You taste sweet. Nothing like an ashtray."

"I really will punch you."

"Why are you so fixated on punching the lights out of me?" Kaito chuckled.

"You just have one of those faces that begs to be punched," he smirked.

"Still," Kaito took one of Daichi's hands and pressed a kiss to his knuckles, "If it's you, I wouldn't mind."

This cannot seriously be my life now. "I hope you're not expecting me to spew these cheesy pick-up lines. Because I really can't do it," Daichi made his stance clear, earning another chuckle from Kaito.

"No, just be you."

"I also can't read minds," Daichi recalled Kaito's unreasonable pouty mood from yesterday and brought it up. "If I mess up, don't expect me to guess. Tell me straight so I can fix it."

"Haha, yes, sir..."

"And I might be a bit slow on the uptake," he added. "This kind of thing is new to me, so give me a heads up if there are any rules or regulations I should follow."

Damn, even his business side is showing, Kaito thought, feeling a tad helpless. He's taking this seriously.

Just knowing that Daichi was willing to give them a shot was more than enough, but seeing him put in such effort made Kaito fall even harder.

Their fingers intertwined, Kaito rested his forehead against Daichi's and smiled blissfully.

"Alright, Daichi. I'll tell you everything you want to know."

~~~~~~

3