Chapter 8 – Skill System
732 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mike put the two points into END. He thought about splitting them between AGI and DEX to round them out but decided against it. Running faster and being more accurate weren’t huge factors for the moment, and none of his physical stats were useful if he could only use them for a few minutes.

He made his way to his stone bed as sat down on the thin covering. He also still had the two General Points, though he felt less of a rush to spend those, there were more options and it felt they were meant for specialization If every Average Level was three aspect levels, then he would get 8 points per level, but only two of those points could go anywhere, so if he wanted one aspect to have more points than the others, that’s where he should be putting the GP.

So he would save them until he knew which aspect that should be, or if he should be splitting them somehow.

He had told Ishare that he was going to be talking to his ‘Companion’ and he would, as much as the AI could talk. “Help screen, Skills,” he said and watched as a familiar and an unfamiliar window appeared beside each other.

 


Welcome to the Help screen, please ask a question.

This service has been designated to answer any questions about your situation and abilities, answers are predetermined based on predicted terms of enquiry and not generated in real-time, this is not a conversation.


 

Skills

Equipped

Governing Stats

Mastery

Level

Physical Skills

       

Skill Slots

✓✓

   

2

N/A

       

Mental Skills

       

Skill Slots

     

2

Language

INT/WIS

Novice

21

Acting

WIS/WIL

Amateur

10

Magic Skills

       

Skill Slots

     

2

Mana Sight

ATU/PER

Amateur

1

Light Magic

AFI/CON

Amateur

2

Light Magic Resistance

 

RES/AFI

Amateur

1

Dark Magic

 

AFI/CON

Amateur

1

Dark Magic Resistance

 

RES/AFI

Amateur

1

 

This way he could ask the questions he had as he thought of them if he needed a third window he would need to open it himself, which would be practising. At first glance, he wasn’t particularly impressed at the levels of his Skills, except Language, he supposed being fluent in a single language meant he wasn’t an ‘Amateur’ at language in general. He looked over the skills window and those questions immediately started rising, but first, he would ask something that had been bothering him. “Can other people see these windows?” he asked.

 


These windows are created using the highest level Illusion spell that you currently have access to at the lowest levels, this means that they will be visible to all, to change this, learn the minor illusion spell and study its properties. If the AI senses others within the vicinity to perceive these windows, then it shall store them as notifications to be viewed later with a command of “Notifications.” If you wish to use the windows in another's presence you will need to cast the underlying illusion spell yourself.


 

That was a yes. So the windows could be seen by everyone until he could manage to cast an illusion spell that only he could see, which he had no idea how to do, so he probably shouldn’t dwell on it too much, now to the questions about his skill window. He should probably start with the basics, “What are Skills?” he asked it

 


Skills are training programs. They are subsystems created by the AI to teach you valuable skills that will aid in your survival and the pursuit of your goals, they are inserted into the background functions of you Mind, Body and Soul to aid your training in their specific Skill.

Some Skills will have Statistic requirements, this is done to make sure that you can practice the Skill safely. Such as the Skill Unarmed combat which has a Strength requirement of 8 and an Endurance requirement of 10, to protect your body from the strain that the Skill will put on it.

Each Skill has 7 distinct Mastery levelsAmateurNoviceJourneymanMasterGrandmasterLegend, and Godlike. Each mastery level consists of 20 skill levels. Achieving a higher mastery level in a skill will broaden its capabilities and heighten its requirements.

The AI will not always be prepared to raise the mastery level of a Skill, as it lacks the knowledge and technique to extrapolate what the next level of mastery looks like, this will require you to complete an Advancement Quest in order to help the AI gain a sufficient understanding of the Skill in order for it to advance.

Encountering or attempting a new Skill that the AI does not understand will give you an unlock quest, that will guide you to the knowledge the AI needs to teach that Skill.

Magic Skills are special. They allow you to use spells from their specific Element, without the corresponding Elemental magic skill equipped you will not be able to cast spells of that element until the Skill has reached at least a one mastery level higher than the level of that spell. You will only ever be able to cast spells at most one mastery level higher than your current mastery level.

Skills exist to aid your training and will not train you on their own, you will need to both have a skill equipped and be using that Skill actively if you wish for it to progress.


 

So, Skills were magical programs that helped him get better at stuff, neat. They seemed pretty broad, considering there was an ‘Unarmed combat’ skill, instead of separate skills to teach him Taekwondo, Karate and Judo individually. He felt like he should probably be worried about the AI messing with the background functions of his Brain and Soul, but that was honestly no more alarming than the existence of the AI in general.

Next on his growing list of questions about skills, “What do the Skill Slots row and Equipped Column mean?”

 


You cannot train with all of your Skills simultaneously, as your Body, Mind and Soul do not contain the capacity to contain the programming of all of them. Due to this limitation, you have Skill Slots. These skill slots measure your capacity to contain skills in each of the three aspects, starting with 2 in each block. You will gain a new Skill Slot every 5 levels in each aspect, indicating the growth of your capacity to contain Skills.

You can change the currently equipped skills by opening the skills window and moving the Equipped markers ‘✓’. Upon closing the window you will experience a moment of disorientation as the skills are exchanged, thus it is not recommended to do this in a high-stress situation.

Once a skill is Equipped it will be able to train you as intended.

Not having a skill Equipped does not mean you cannot use the associated skill of the program, as the point of Skills is to raise your mastery of those skills and that does not change when the skill is unequipped, if you make progress in a skill without it being Equipped, it will update upon being Re-Equipped.


 

Now that he knew the general application and information about Skills, He should probably start seeing what they did more specifically. He thought about it, then simply said to the Help Screen, “Mana Sight, Light magic, Dark magic and Language Skill descriptions.”

 

Skills

Governing Stats

Mastery

Max. Mastery

Description

Mana sight

ATU

PER

Amateur

Journeyman

Mana Sight allows you to see mana in it's Between state and Mana that has leaked through to the Mortal Realm. The Between Mana that you see with this skill does not entirely exist in the Mortal Realm, but rather between the mortal realm and the Spirit Realm. This mana is drawn to it's like in the physical realm, Fire mana to fire and heat, Water mana to water and cold, Wood mana to plants and growth. This between mana can be accessed by your Magic Skills. Some mana, however, does exist in the Mortal Realm such as the Mana in the blood of the Elven Races, crossed over Spirits, and Mana affected Beasts.

Equipping this Skill allows for the sight of mana in its various forms, it can be toggled on and off subconsciously and will never Impede actual vision, this skill requires the use of your eyes, if they are closed, damaged, or lost you will not be able to perceive mana in this way. This Skill will passively guide your understanding of mana, its movements and nature as you use it.

Light magic

AFI

CON

Amateur

Journeyman

Light Magic is the manipulation of Light mana into Magical Phenomenon, spells. At the Amateur Levels, Light magic can be used to create illusions of colour, Sound and forms of illumination.

Equipping this Skill enables you to sense Light mana and to use it to cast spells of its current mastery level and one higher and will passively guide you towards a deeper understanding of Light mana and magic.

Dark magic

AFI

CON

Amateur

Novice

Dark magic is the manipulation of Dark mana into Magical Phenomenon, spells. At amateur levels, Dark Magic can be used to conceal objects and Divert attention, as well as cause the Illusion of pain and other physical sensations on contact.

Equipping this Skill enables you to sense Dark mana and to use it to cast spells of its current mastery level and one higher and will passively guide you towards a deeper understanding of Dark mana and magic.

Language

INT

WIS

Novice

Novice

The language skill allows you to speak a language with the same skill as your native language, provided you have had adequate exposure to that language. Spending a week around native speakers is enough to learn how to speak a language as if it was English. At novice, this applies to abstract forms of communication-based on the Languages that you have acclimated too, such as sign language.

Equipping this Skill allows you to converse in Acclimated languages as if they were English. To Acclimate to new languages speak to someone who understands an already acclimated language and have them respond in the language you wish to Acclimate to, this will help the AI gather context to the meanings of words and their expected responses and meanings in English.

Acclimated Languages:

High Elvish / Gildaic

Dark Elvish / Parosi


Mike read through the descriptions, it was nice to finally know what these did. He would need to go over the descriptions for all his skills, but for now, he wanted to learn Magic. He looked over to the Skills Window and moved the tick on the Light Magic skill over to the Dark Magic skill.

12