24 – Existential Crisis (2)
343 8 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jonathan's mind stopped working after he heard the name. Of course, he recognized the name and the person. ' I am in the TWD universe.... it all makes sense now!'

Although everything now fits together, many things changed in Jonathan's perspective. 'Isn't this just a dream? Is this some kind of purgatory?'

It was to be expected that Jonathan would have these thoughts since he had discovered that his new life could be just a dream or a nightmare. Or that his actions were being controlled by greater forces.

'Are these thoughts mine? Now that the main character has appeared, are we disposable? No matter what I do, the course of history is already set... can I change anything? If I can't... the prison is destined to be destroyed in a few months!'

Jonathan was so lost that he didn't even notice that many things in history had already changed. Since the Apocalypse happened more than 10 years later than in the TV series and 20 years after the comic book. This didn't change the fact that he was having an existential crisis.

Rick noticed the boy in front of him didn't let go of his hand even after about 30 seconds. He asked, " Is everything okay?"

Jonathan finally recovered and let go of Rick's hand. He gave a forced smile, "Everything's fine. We've cleared all three blocks and my group is living in block one. You will stay in Block 2 for the time being. There is hot water and many other things. After we are sure that you are good people, you can live in block 1 with us. Or, if you prefer, you can stay in Block 2... follow me.''

Although Jonathan was in a mental crisis, he was still trying to maintain logical thinking, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to remain indifferent. He was already starting to break into a cold sweat.

Jonathan whispered to Eve and Nathanael, " Explain the locations and what we are doing here. Don't talk about my powers. I will be quiet as I am thinking about some things."

Eve and Nathanael had been with Jonathan from the beginning and noticed there was something very wrong with him. Hell, not even when Jonathan was surrounded by the horde in their house, and not even when he was shot he was like this.

" Leave it to us."

Jonathan nodded. Although he was walking with everyone, his mind was not on the scene.

Eve began to speak as she walked past Block 1, "This is Block 1 where we live. We have a lot of nice things inside, like hot water, TV, video games, and other things."

This made the group stop, " Did you say TV and video games?"

Eve looked proud, " Yes. Here, our life is pretty much the same as before the Apocalypse."

Eve looked at Jonathan as if she was asking permission to show them inside. Jonathan managed to notice that and nodded. Then, he shut down again.

Eve took the lead once more, '' Follow me inside. I'll show how is the layout of the blocks. All 3 blocks are almost the same, with few differences here and there.''

Samantha, who by this time knew that this group wasn't trouble, appeared in front of everyone just as they were about to enter block 1. She introduced herself to the new group, '' Hello, my name is Samantha. Forgive us if we don't act ... normal. You all are the first strangers we met in months.''

Rick's group noticed Samantha's pregnancy right away. They all stayed quiet though, as if evaluating Jonathan and his group.

Lori, Rick's wife, was the only one who warmly greeted Samantha, '' Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Lori and this is my husband, Rick.'' Lori then pointed at a small kid beside her, '' And this is my son, Carl.''

After Lori introduced Rick and Carl to Samantha, the rest of the group followed suit.

'' Nice to meet you all. You already know my children.'' Samantha pointed at Eve and Nathanael,'' Now, how about we continue the tour?'' Samantha took the initiative to continue walking.

Eve noticed this and called every one, '' Let me show inside to you guys.''

After everyone entered block 1, Samanthan took Jonathan aside, '' Are you okay? You don't look good.''

Jonathan gave a small smile at Samantha, '' I can't explain to you, but I just got the biggest blow I have received in my entire life. I'm literally questioning my very existence right now.''

Samantha was a little shocked by this. ' Jonathan was normal throughout the entire zombie apocalypse, now it's saying this... what the hell happened...'

They are at the back of the group and no one was paying attention to them, as the inside of block 1 amazed everyone, so Samantha took Jonathan's hand, '' Everything is going to be alright.''

Jonathan looked at their hand interlacing, ' ... If this is not real, why do I feel all of those emotions? Sadness, fear, worry... can all of this be fake?'

'' Thank you. I'm okay for now, but after the new group enters block 2, I'll need your help... I'm pretty sure I'll be quite a mess tonight.'' Jonathan was quite literally begging for comfort now.

Samantha nodded, '' Don't worry about it.''

After this small talk, the two of them reunited with everyone. No one noticed they were gone.

'' This is where we sleep.'' Eve pointed at the cells she owned, '' But that bed is something we had to search outside so we don't have it in the other blocks.''

Rick immediately said, '' We don't care that much. As long as that fence is out there, we are good sleeping even on the ground.''

Eve nodded and continued the tour. She passed the cafeteria, '' This place used to be the cafeteria but we changed a few things.''

The cafeteria was a whole new place now. Gone are the tables and such, all went to Jonathan INVENTORY, and now it had sofas, TVs, AC, and other things.

Carl and Sophia also noticed some comics at the side. Both of them looked at their respective parents as if asking permission to look at them.

Carol looked at Eve, who nodded, '' Feel free to grab all the comics you want. We don't have many, but you can have all of them.''

Those are some comics they found outside and Jonathan put on the INVENTORY for the sake of it. Eve and Nathanael already read all of them, so they didn't mind the kids taking them.

'' Thank you.'' Carol thanked Eve, then looked at Sophia, '' Go ahead.''

Carl noticed Eve gave permission and went with Sophia. Both grabbed all of the comics and went back to their group. All this time, Daryl and Glenn were eyeing Jonathan's group, in case they did something weird.

'' Well, this is it for block 1. I can show you around block 3 but the layout is almost the same, minus the TV and the rest.''

Rick eyed his group and noticed they were tired and dirty. So he said to Eve, '' If you don't mind, we are incredibly dirty and want a shower before sleeping. So, if you could lead us to where we will be staying and showing where the showers are, we would appreciate it.''

'' Of course! Follow me.'' Eve guided everyone out of Block 1. Halfway there, she remembered the mini farm that her group had. She decided to show it to everyone.
 
''And here we have a small farm. Our first harvest happened less than a week ago and we have enough to last us a long time.'' Eve said this with her eyes shining. It was clear to everyone that she was proud of the farm.
 
''Eve, right?'' Before Eve could continue speaking, an elderly gentleman, who had introduced himself as Hershel earlier, spoke to her.

 

'' You see, I was a farmer before... all this happened. If you could allow, can I take care of this plot of land?'' Hershel said with a voice that sounded energetic.

Eve looked at Jonathan, who said slowly, '' You can, but that is a conversation for the future. Go take a shower and rest before thinking of this. Besides, this is only one place where we plant things, we have other 'farms' too.''

Yes, when the first batch of potatoes was harvested, Jonathan made another 'farm' in other places around the blocks. Seeing the test with the potatoes did amazing, he decided to go full on this farm thing.

Hershel nodded, '' Sure. Thank you.''

Jonathan nodded.

Eve saw the conversation was over and continued, '' Well, now let's enter your new home. Don't worry, we won't enter block 2, as most of our things were in block 1.''

Entering Block 2, Eve passed by the cells without stopping. They already saw them in block 1 and the layout was the same. She went directly to the showers.

'' Well, here it is.'' Eve opened the door to the showers to Rick's group, '' We have hot water and plenty of it. You can take a shower for days if you want.''

Rick and his group nodded.

Eve took this a queue to leave, '' Well, I showed everything important to you all, so our presence here is not needed anymore. I'll give you this.'' Eve passed Rick her radio/walkie-talkie.

Rick accepted. He looked grateful, '' Thank you.''

Eve nodded. '' Call if anything happens or you need anything. See you later.''

After saying that Eve, alongside Nathanael, Jonathan, and Samantha, went to block 1.

Nathanael expressed his concerns as soon as they entered block 1, '' I don't think accepting them was a good idea.''

'' We know. But you have to accept it. And if things go wrong... we can deal with them.'' Eve was unmoved by all of Nathanael's talk. She needed new friends, and for some reason, she felt she could trust this new group.

Jonathan, who was acting on autopilot since he found out his situation, said, '' They seemed like good people, so try to bond with them. Meeting new people ... is good.''

This was going against everything Jonathan thought of the apocalypse. He really didn't want to accept other people, but when he found it was Rick and his group, his beliefs shattered.

Nathanael reluctantly nodded, '' Ok... but ill be watching them!''

After saying that, Nathanael went to his cell. Eve sighed seeing her brother like that, '' I hope he can open up a bit.''

Jonathan nodded. He suddenly said to Eve, '' I'll sleep on the watchtower tonight. Radio me if something happens.''

Eve nodded. Jonathan already went out of block 1. Eve then looked at Samantha, '' Mom, where will you sleep?''

Samantha gave a small smile, '' Jonathan is not okay. I don't know what happened but ill be with him until I feel he's okay.'' Samantha kissed Eve's head, '' I'll sleep on the watchtower too. Sleep well.''

Eve watched her mother leave block 1. ' I have a feeling that something is wrong with both of them but... it shouldn't be something bad.'

Eve entered her 'room' and lay on her bed, ' Well, this day was productive. I noticed the new group had a few kids a few years younger than me... I hope they are friendly...'

 


Hello there!

Again, this will be a mix between the TV series and the Comics. In my FIC, Sophia is alive and well.

Notice that I mentioned very few names of Rick's group. That's on purpose because I still haven't decided who to put there. But know that Gleen, Maggie, Beth, Hershel,Sophia, Carl, Rick, Daryl, Lori, and Carol are confirmed alive and well.

Thank you for the support!

17