50 – BUY! BUY! BUY!
214 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arriving at the infirmary and passing Lori and Judith, Patrick and Antony, who were already there, Jonathan arrived where his child, whom he still doesn't know/decided the name of, and Samantha were.

Entering the room where he had been told Samantha and the baby were, Jonathan noticed the child right away. She was lying on a small bed and looked healthy.

"So it's a girl...''Yes, Jonathan and Samantha's baby was a girl. He found out because there was a pink color on her bed.

As Samantha slept, Jonathan spent a long time looking at his daughter and thinking about the future and the problems that he would have to face.

' As soon as I finish this conversation with Samantha, I'm going to stop going around doing other things and focus on SHOP and the new improvements. I have so much to do and so little time.'

But looking at his daughter, Jonathan allowed himself some time, 'She'll have the old version of SHOP, which means she'll be safe when she understands how to use it. Until then, she'll be looked after in the best possible way.'

While he was here, in the infirmary, the zombies were evolving at a fast pace. Jonathan had the chance to buy the cure right now, but from the description, it wasn't something instantaneous but rather something he must do to make/get said cure.

Ignoring this for the moment, Jonathan then took his eyes off his daughter and focused on Samantha, who had woken up a while ago and was watching the scene in silence. ''Good morning.''

Jonathan turned his attention to Samantha, ''Good morning. How are you feeling?''

''Still tired, but I'll be 100% in two days at most. And you?

Jonathan gave a forced smile, ''Considering everything that's happened in the last few days, I'm fine... I think you're already aware of what's going on.''

Samantha nodded and added, ''And something tells me you know more than you're letting on.''

Jonathan wasn't surprised that Samantha had noticed something wrong with him. In the whole apocalypse, apart from his parents, she was probably the person who knew him the most.

"Yes. Let me explain everything from the beginning.'' Jonathan then told Samantha everything. About the totality of his powers, about evolution, about how he knew his daughter was his, about how she inherited his powers, and about healing.

It was refreshing for Jonathan, to talk to Samantha, the only person who knew his whole story and what he could do.

When he finished speaking, Samantha was shocked. She was speechless for a few minutes, probably thinking about what Jonathan had said, and he left her with her thoughts.

'What I said is hard to believe, but Samantha knows me and knows I wouldn't lie about it. So she must be thinking about what could happen now.'

After a few minutes of silence, Samantha said, "What's this about a cure?''

Jonathan told the truth, ''That's exactly it. Well, I'm going to buy a way to find the cure. I'll probably have to go after the ingredients once I've bought it, and I'll be away from the prison for a while.''

''But I'm hesitant to buy it just yet.''

'' Why?''Samantha was curious, ''This could change all our lives...''

'' Well, I'm 100% sure that as soon as I buy the cure, the evolution of the zombies will speed up and the mutations the SHOP mentioned will happen. I want to be prepared for anything. Besides, all my money will be gone, so I have to think carefully about what to spend before I buy.''

Which was the truth. The cure costs all of Jonathan's money, and although he can get money from other sources, he was sure that as soon as he bought the cure, the universe would intervene again and screw things up.

After answering that and seeing that Samantha had nothing more to say on the subject, Jonathan asked looking at his daughter, ''Have you decided on her name yet?''

Samantha shook her head, ''I waited to see if... you know, and since that's confirmed, I think it's best if we both decide on a name.''

Jonathan then smiled and said a name that was on his mind. '' How about ... Hope?''

It was a beautiful name and had a nice meaning too. It was a somehow cliche name in an apocalypse, but Jonathan felt it was nice.

When Samantha heard the name Jonathan mentioned, she smiled a little, ''It was one of the three names on my list too. So it's decided.''

'' Can I touch her?'' Jonathan asked after they had decided on the name.

Samantha hesitated a little, as she didn't know if it was safe. But in the end, she let him, ''Go ahead, but be careful.''

Jonathan then carefully began to run his hand over her head. He was overcome with emotion. Even in his old life, where he was older than now, he hadn't been a father. So this was something new for him and Jonathan was extremely moved.

'I'll do my best for you to grow up in a normal world.'

And Jonathan wasn't lying. Only he, in all the planet and humans left, could change the world. The responsibility was great and the weight of the world was on his back, but now he had extra motivation to see things to the end.

After running his hand over the baby's head for some time, who miraculously slept the whole time, Jonathan decided to go out and finally start his preparations to buy the cure, 'The baby is a huge distraction for me right now. I need to go and focus, and I can't do that in her presence.'

Yes, Jonathan already loved his daughter a lot and wanted to spend as much time as possible with her. But he knew it was an unrealistic dream, as he had to act.

Jonathan gave Hope one last look and said to Samantha, '' I'll see you both soon. Call me if anything happens.''

Samantha nodded and Jonathan left the room.

When he left, Samantha looked at Hope in the small bad, ' He will make the world go back to normal. For you, for me, and for everyone else... I have to do my best to help him with this burden.'

Yes, while some people might not notice, Samantha knew Jonathan was feeling a lot of pressure right now. Imagine yourself in that situation, where you're literally the last hope of humanity to have a normal and safe life, all while running against the clock.

' So, I - no, we have to help him the best we can.'

Samantha vowed that as soon as she could leave the infirmary, she would act to make this place safe, ' It's the least I could do to help, protect his home while he does his thing.'

' But for now... let's sleep some more.' With a newfound goal, Samantha went back to sleep.

---

After saying goodbye to Samantha, going to see Antony and Patrick who were in the next room, and wishing them a speedy recovery, then going to see Lori and Judith and starting a small conversation with the woman, Jonathan finally went to a corner of the infirmary and bought several machines that were used to treat cancer, for Lucille and for other people who might need them in the future.

He left a note for anyone who saw that the equipment was good and new, and to use on anyone who needed it.

After that, he went straight to his room/cell to think about what to do.

Once there, Jonathan immediately opened the KNOWLEDGE section on the SHOP. He then began to analyze the options, starting with what would be good for the short and long term.

'I don't know how my brain will react to so much information... but I don't have much choice.'

When he bought information about the evolution of zombies, Jonathan got a headache so strong he almost passed out. And that was just information about evolution, imagine something that would make him an expert on a subject. But, as he thought to himself, he didn't have much choice but to buy it.

' I definitely have to buy KNOWLEDGE about how to shoot better. Nothing against my current aim, but it's always good to be better than you are now.'

Although Jonathan was already a good shooter, he would be an extremely professional one when he acquired the KNOWLEDGE.

' And a great thing is that the price is the same for anything. The only one that was more expensive was the option I already bought, about the evolution of zombies.'

Yes, the price was the same, 1M dollars for each KNOWLEDGE purchased, no matter which one. And there were so many options that Jonathan was getting lost.

' It's a good thing the new SHOP has a CART option, otherwise, I'd be pretty screwed.'

One of the new additions to the new SHOP is the CART, where Jonathan, instead of having to buy one thing at a time, could put what he wanted on the CART and then buy it all at once. This new feature helped him tremendously.

' How to fly an airplane, bought. How to fly a helicopter, bough. How to speak other languages, bought. Have the knowledge of an expert in biology, bought.'

Finally, after 14 hours of doing all sorts of calculations about whether it was worth it and where he would use such KNOWLEDGE, Jonathan felt he was ready to buy.

' All in all, it came to 1.5B... My God, practically everything I own...'

Of course, that figure was already including various other things, such as some helicopters, planes, cars, various high-caliber weapons, ammunition, etc.

' But it doesn't really matter, because in a few weeks, I'll have to buy information about the cure, something that will cost me everything I have.'

So, although the purchase price was shockingly high, Jonathan was already buying practically everything he needed for the future and still had 500M left.

Knowing what was to come, Jonathan mentally prepared himself for the pain. 'Let's get started.'

Jonathan then pressed buy and immediately information began to pop into his mind, causing him to squirm in pain, ' Endure it!'

After five minutes of uninterrupted pain in his brain, Jonathan now knew how to fly an airplane with mastery. However, before he could rest from the pain he had just felt, another wave of KNOWLEDGE struck him, making him groan in pain.

The pain was so unbearable that Jonathan regretted buying so many at once. However, as soon as he remembered the face of his daughter, Hope, Jonathan simply screamed his teeth and endured the pain in his head.

' I can do this! For me, for Hope, and for everyone else.'

After another 5 minutes, the pain stopped once more, and now Jonathan knew how to fly a helicopter. But Jonathan knew he couldn't rest and sure enough, not even 10 seconds later the pain came back.

This time, however, there was no pain in Jonathan's eyes, only sheer will to go against the pain and all odds.

' I will see things through! Whatever it takes.'

 


I can see the fic ending in 15 chapters or so. Yes, I've rushed a few things here and there, but honestly, I stopped having fun writing this particular fic a couple of chapters ago, so I'm going to finish things before it drops (even more) in quality; then I'm going to take a little break because I have finals next week, but by the end of December, I'll probably have another fic on the way.

I haven't decided what story I'm going to do yet, but I have 5 options right now: DC Universe, Star Wars, a Dragon Ball, one of Attack on Titan or Mass Effect;

Thanks for reading!

8