Chapter 38 going up
57 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I know we have arrived somewhere, but I can't see anything. I am surrounded by intense white light, it blinds me. 

 

"Greya, sweetie, you are already in your divine form, you can see perfectly, just focus."

 

Then slowly, my eyes are getting used to this light. We are now at, what is this place? This looks like a building from ancient Greece, the Parthenon. There are huge, ancient looking pillars supporting the building. There are no doors, no windows, all directions are open.  

 

I followed my mother like a little lamb, afraid that I still did something wrong. Was I too harsh to the cat-kin? Well to the king maybe. Oh dear.

 

We entered the building, but stopped when we saw one, two, three, fourteen deities sitting in a circle, mother being the fifteenth. I am not a goddess, so I don't count as one around here.

We then approached the group until one of the deities began to speak.

 

"Greya, daughter of Ima" a loud male voice addressed me.

 

I was shocked for a second, then quickly composed myself. 

"Eh, yes, I am Greya, daughter of Ima." I bowed deeply to show my respect. Who knows who these deities are. I can't mess this up.

 

"Relax Greya, please sit down in the middle of our circle. You are now in the godly realm, you honour us by coming here and answering our summons. We are the deities who protect Mirai and bring blessings to its inhabitants. We can only meet for a short time, as we need to continue our duties. But this sort of event has not happened before. I will not introduce ourselves this time, but if you agree to our proposal, we can meet again and have a proper conversation. Will you hear our proposal, Greya?"

 

I bowed again and said "yes, I will hear your proposal, honoured one." I then sat in the middle, surrounded by deities.

 

"I see, you honour us and your mother with your respect. We are right to offer you this choice. Now hear us.

You already know that Noboru, the deity of the cat-kin has retired. He will move to another realm, to be assigned to a new people." 

 

One of the other deities stands up, he actually looks like the cat-kin do, "Greya, I am Noboru, I thank you for restoring peace and order to my beloved cat-kin. I made the decision to leave them, which leaves an empty chair in our godly realm. Someone needs to take over my duties and care for my children." 

 

Wait, they all look like deer-kin, wolf-kin, bear-kin. Ah focus Greya! I wonder who it is indeed. 

They are staring at me, intensely. Oh oh, I feel like I am being drafted.

 

The first deity then speaks again, "Indeed Greya, you feel correctly. We offer you the position of deity of the cat-kin. Your performance has impressed us, and your kindness to the people have touched our hearts. 

A goddess without kindness is no goddess. You show all traits of a genuine goddess."

 

I pointed at myself, then bowed, then straightened my back again. "Me? I am going to be their goddess? I am not experienced? How do I know what to do there? What if I make a mistake?"

 

The first deity speaks again "excellent, you show no signs of arrogance at all. You are perfect for the job. Now tell us, will you become their deity, and therefore a full goddess, or will you reject our offer? You must decide now!"

 

"My dear respected deities. I am honoured by your offer. And if you deem me suitable for this job, knowing that I have much to learn, then I would gladly accept with all my heart."

 

"Alright, Greya, daughter of Ima. Henceforth you shall be known as Greya, goddess and deity of the cat-kin. May you guide them well and may your people thrive."

 

"Ah, one question if I may?" I see a nod. "Please, I mean no disrespect, but do I have to look like a cat-kin too?"

 

The deity continued "Ha, Greya. That is a good question. A good one indeed. Yes, your divine form will have to be cat-kin."   

 

I was disappointed, I liked my appearance.

 

Then he continued "I see your disappointment. It came from your heart. Let us propose the following.

You can live your life as a princess in your kitsune form. But in your divine form you can either be a kitsune of cat-kin. You may choose between the two. However, when you are performing your duties as their goddess, then you shall appear as cat-kin. In reality that means, as a princess you will be a kitsune. As a goddess who visits Mirai, you will only appear as cat-kin. But in the godly realm, you can choose between the kitsune or cat-kin form. Is that acceptable?"

 

"Yes, that is very much acceptable. Thank you very much for your understanding." I said respectfully.

 

Then the deity continues "you will have to deal with your royal duties representing Eshar, and your duties as deity of the cat-kin. Make sure those duties do not come into conflict."

I nodded, he was right. That can be tricky. 

 

Then he continued, "you will also keep all of your kitsune abilities, including your ancient fox form, but you will also gain the ancient cat form. We take away none of your abilities. Ah, one more thing. We will allow you full use of your teleport capabilities. But use them wisely and respectfully. We must leave now." 

 

I nodded. Then I was surrounded by a bright light, warming me to my core, but only for a second. Then all was normal again.

 

All of them left, except for Ima and Noboru.

 

"Dear Noboru, thank you for your help when I needed to convince the king of Acria,"  I said.

 

"No problem dear Greya, I wish you all the best. Just know that with great power comes great responsibility. You are expected to come here regularly and attend their meetings, just as your mother does. Your mother will guide you and help you, so do not be afraid."

 

"May I hug you?" I said, a tear falling on my face.

 

"Of course dear, come here." 

 

And I hugged him, showing him my honest appreciation, then adding "I am sorry to take your place, Noboru." 

 

"Not at all, I have new duties to attend to. I must leave. Be blessed, Greya of Acria." Noboru said, before he too vanished.   

 

Only my mother and I were still here.

 

"Ahh, mom, my ears are hurting. They are ringing. Please make it stop!"

 

And then mother did as I asked, then she said "sweetie, this will only help for a few days. The ringing you hear are the voices of people sending their prayers to you. They can be warm, grateful feelings, or annoying ringing as you just experienced. That ringing part means that they need help soon. You will only experience the collective balance of prayers, or feelings, until you focus on a city or a person. But for now, you are too inexperienced to handle this load. So you are excused from that. In a few days you will be expected to learn and deal with it. The prayers, and therefore the sound of them, will help you to remember where your duties lie." 

 

"Ah, really? Wow, for now I am just happy that the ringing is gone," I said.

 

"Yes I am sure you are. Now listen to me, before we go back home, well your home that is. 

You need to understand that you are no longer my head-priestess. You can inform Kasumi later. 

You will now have to focus on your own mikos and priestesses or priests. They still need to learn how to do their job first, though. They will be able to contact you directly and you will get used to it soon, I promise.

I will find another head-priestess, but I doubt she will be as cute as my daughter," she says, giving me a wink.

 

I rolled my eyes, "whatever mother". showing my sincere warm smile.

 

"Do you want to have a look around here, or do you think it's time to leave?" Ima says jokingly.

 

"No, let's get back fast!" I said, then a flash followed, and we were indeed back in the throne room.

"Wow, that really was fast," I said.

 

"Good, I see everyone is still here, good good," mother Ima says, "let me give you a news update. My little Greya here is now officially a full goddess, deity of the cat-kin."

 

All of them had surprised expressions on their faces.

 

"Really?" Father says, "well you have earned it dear."

 

I am then hugged by everyone, except for Kenji, who keeps staring at me.

I will deal with him in a minute, I need this first. I start crying. I have everything I wanted, and more. Loving parents, sister, mother Ima. And Kenji, and lots of friends.

 

"Awww, sweetie, I know that this is overwhelming, but your friends will help you." Ima said.

 

"Yes, I need all your help. But my cries are for another reason. I feel at home here, and I am so happy that you are my family."

 

"Awww", now my other mom is doting on me. 

 

I break the hug, then open my arms to Kenji, "Kenji, do you still want me to be..." but I couldn't continue my sentence.  

 

Kenji fell to his knees "Greya, princess of...."  but now Ima interrupted him.

 

"Son, it is not time for that yet," mother Ima said.

 

Kenji scratched his head in total confusion. I then stood next to him, holding his hand, showing my support. 

He smiled at me, and said "I will try again later," which made me giggle very audibly. 

"Greya dear," father said, "I know there is something growing between you, but you need to....ouch!"

 

That is when my mother Miyako smacked father on his arm. Also, I was blushing, and Kenji was coughing violently. 

 

"What did I do now again? " the innocent king said. "Sorry, let me rephrase that.."

 

Mother Ima then interrupted him, "no let me continue if you don't mind," after which father nodded in approval while still rubbing his arm.

 

She continues, "even though you need to focus on your duties as a goddess, as long as you have a physical body, we respect your right to have a life and of course companionship," she winked at Kenji, which made both of us look at our feet again for a moment.

 

"...Yes, let's call it that for now. So that is why the deities will allow your natural life to last, say 200 years or so. Only then will you be expected to watch over your cats from within your domain. 

Which brings us to the present day. If you, Kenji, will honestly love and support her, you will be allowed to grow old with her. Assuming you still want to be together after you betrothal."  

 

I then looked confused at Kenji, then at mother Ima, "betrothal?" Is she speeding up things, or did I miss something?

 

Then mother Miyako took over from Ima, "yes dear, you are a princess. We cannot have you wait endlessly for a relationship. You must choose. You either both will stay together, and will marry in...say...two years, or Greya, you must end this now; a princess cannot have a multitude of dates. Imagine the gossip you will hear, the future of our kingdom is in your hands. If you choose to be single for life, we will respect that. There are ways to transfer the throne to others, such as adopting a child into the royal family. But we would hope that you two would be happy together and maybe, hopefully have kids. But you must make up your mind. You do not have the luxury that common people have."

 

I blushed, do I accept Kenji, or do I want to stay alone? Basically that is the option they give me. 

 

I then turn to Kenji. Smiling with all my heart. "Kenji, the moment I met you, my heart felt warm, I had butterflies in my tummy, like I never had before. I have loved you since that very first day we met, the day we had our first dance together. You have been kind ever since. Not even once did you treat me as a lesser person. I love you."

 

Then Kenji wanted to answer, a smile forming on his lips. "I love.."

 

But I put my finger on his lips. "What a minute my love."

 

My mothers are both amused at our confessions,  "...awww..."

 

Father, however, sighs at the drama unfolding before his eyes.

 

I continue, looking at Kenji, "will you stay with me? Even when I have other duties to fulfil? I won't be there all the time. To be with me until time itself pulls us apart?"

 

Kenji then says "may I speak now?"

 

I giggle "yes of course."

 

Kenji then takes both my hands in his, "Greya, I love you too. The second my eyes found you, I was deeply in love. You are kind and graceful. Yes, you are a goddess, I always wanted to date a goddess you know."

 

I giggled and rolled my eyes at his remark.  

 

Then mother Ima says "now make your point boy, we don't have all day you know."

 

Kenji then blushes and continues "yes of course, sorry. Greya, I don't want to lose you. I hope we can stay together forever. You are as beautiful as a goddess, eh, well you are one, but you get my point. I know my soul belongs to you, I also never felt like this before. I truly love you. If it means that you have to be in another country, but will still come home to me, then I am more than willing to accept that."

 

Then father needs to say something again "for crying out loud just say it son."

 

Kenji then kneels before me, still holding my hands, "Greya, would you marry me?"

 

I also kneel, then say loudly "yes!", then I start crying and hug Kenji, as he puts his arms around me.

 

Mother Miyako gives her signature warm smile, while she says "awww. cute.. young love."

 

Ima also gives me a big warm smile and a thumbs up.

 

Then father realises something "hey! Kenji, you were supposed to ask us permission for her betrothal. You skipped some steps, you are a cheeky one aren't you?"

 

Then mother hits father on the shoulder.  

 

"Ouch! Now, what did I do?"

 

Mother Miyako then rolls her eyes, which must hurt by now of all that rolling, and says  "never mind him sweetie."

 

Kenji and I moved our muzzles closer and closer and... we kissed!

 

Mother Ima then says "well both of you, congratulations. But... you..hey, stop kissing, it's not time for that yet!"

 

Kenji and I both say "sorry" and look away, blushing. Then we both are standing next to each other again, holding hands.

 

Ima says "ugh. kids these days. You were supposed to present her with a ring now, weren't you?"

 

Kenji replies "yes yes, well no disrespect my goddess, but you did summon me away from my home, so I was not fully prepared."

 

"Granted, nice save young man. I will grant you that. But don't speak down on me again, do you hear?"

 

"Mother... please," I said, knowing that she was only teasing him.

 

Mother Miyako then continues, "now realise what you both agreed to, okay? You will, and I repeat you will make this relationship work, and young man, you will give her a ring to show you are betrothed for all to see. My girl will not walk around without a pretty ring. And you Greya, you better prepare to go to your cats tomorrow."

 

"Cat-KIN mother, not cats" I said, disapprovingly. She is taking over mother Ima's bad habits.

 

When we stealthily try to leave the room, mother Ima speaks again. 

 

"Now hold your horses, I am not finished yet. Your parents have agreed that your future husband should move in here. And also, we can't have you teleporting on the streets, now can we? So make sure you do that from your room here and find a place in Acria as well. Don't scare the locals, you hear me?"

 

I nodded in agreement.

 

Mother Miyako then asked, "Kenji, do you mind living here from now on?"

 

He then replied, "no, not at all. I need to take care of some things in my mansion, but no, I don't mind if it means that I can be close to her."

 

Father then calls a servant to prepare a new room, one only for Kenji. One on the opposite side of the palace. He ignored my disapproving look. 

 

Ima then says, "sorry but you two will be apart again for a while. I will teleport Kenji home, so he can make the necessary arrangements. Then, Kenji, come here using your own transportation when you are ready."

 

We are still holding hands and want to kiss goodbye, but then a flash...and he is already gone. So is mother Ima.

 

"Mother!" I shouted where Ima stood before "come on, couldn't you wait for a second? Grrrr."

 

Then I heard in my mind "Sweetie, go to bed early today. You will have a lot to do on your first day as a goddess tomorrow."

 

"Yes mommy," I said out loud. Not hiding my disappointment, and leaving for my bedroom.

 

Mother Miyako tried to embrace me, but father shook his head, "just give her some time." 

 

But I didn't go to sleep immediately, I told all that had happened to Mizuki, and let's say we had a very sisterly  evening. In a nutshell, she was happy for me. She forgave me for not spending much time together as sisters, but we should have more time soon. And I hope she will find love too.

 

Mizu promised to tell my two guards, Mika and Nanami, that I would be teleporting and might be in my cat-form. I don't know if I will see them tomorrow, I don't even know how my first day as a goddess will be. Me teleporting there, fixing a nation. Sounds like fun. 

 

I was now alone in my bedroom again, lying on my bed in my new nightgown. Mother Miyako said that I should wear clothing befitting a future queen, so I did as she asked. Honestly, I am more of a pyjamas kind of girl.

Well, I will see what I like best. My tail then came forward, between my legs to cover my face. Hugging my tail, I said "Ahh, warm and fluffy!"

 

My last thought before falling asleep was "I hope Kenji will be here soon......" followed by my eyes closing and a deep sigh.

2