Chapter 1 new world new fears (updated)
203 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A scream and a crash cut across the large stone room as an old man chucked a rodent into a collection of glass bottles and beakers.

 

<<Aggh>> 

the old mam said as he started tending to the bite on his finger 

<<damn rat I'm trying to help you>>

 the old man said.

 

The rat hissed back clearly thinking not.

 

<<Fine then be that way>>

the old man said as he flicked his wrist causing the rat to be engulfed in an orange glow sending it to sleep.

 

The old man sighed as he put the rat back into a cage another day another failure what does that make 18 now he said as he looked for any injuries on his unwilling patient.

 

<<Good no major damage to its body or brain! as resilient as ever>>

he said to the sleeping rat

 

<<Ahh never mind>>

the old man said as he got up from his chair and moved over to a pile of papers on a desk in a corner.

 

Looking though the pile he found what he was looking for a peice of paper with numbers from one to seventeen on it with failure next to all of them he then grabed a pen in a cup on the desk and put an eighteen with the word failure next to it

Well I think that's enough for today I should let the little guy rest so he can get his strength back for next time he thought to himself as he walked over to a window and looked out.

 

Maybe I should go buy some supplies from the village he thought thinking about the the lovely cooked vegetables that the elves make.

 

Ah! he exclaimed I should buy some for the rat maybe then he will trust me more.

<<Ok it's settled I will go to the village and buy some "supplies" to help with the tests>> he said as he turned away not seeing the sudden rise of smoke coming from the direction of the village.

 

Panic panic all I hear is panic and screaming as people run around me the smell of smoke filling my nostrils as my home burned around me and all I could think was how I got here....

It started 8 years ago after I left my home to go to work and I heard the sound of screeching tires and then nothingness.

 

I don't know how long I was in said nothingness it could have been years or seconds all i know is that it ended with a bright light filling my eyes as I heard a muffled voice say something in a language I couldn't understand.

 

Not long after my eyes adjusted to the light and I could see better not great mind you but good enough to see the figure in front of my eyes.

 

She had long silky white hair and sharp pointed ears grayish blue eyes and they were looking at me lovingly as she said words i at the time could not make out.

 

As she held me close i lifted my hand to lift myself up and she grabbed it and smiled. 

thats when I noticed how small I was my hand was smaller then her thumb.

 

As I was trying to process this fact I started feeling sleepy and passed out soon after.

 

I awoke some time later in a darker room I quickly looked at my hands again and confirmed what I saw before my hands were indeed small but not just that I....I was small my body was tiny I tried to think of a good reason within common sense but I just couldn't nothing made sense.

 

 as I lifted my hands to my head I brushed my ears and noticed they were pointy just like the ladies.

 

It was at this point I finally figured it out I had been reincarnated into a new world and this lady was my mother.

 

The first few years aren't that important and I can't remember them that well anyway but what I do know is my new mother was not well off.  

 

we lived in a pretty run down wood shack no holes in the roof but thats about it when it comes to the praise i can give it.

 

my new mother made a farm off to the side of out home were she grew potatoes carrots and other vegetables most of which would be sold in town. 

 

From what I could tell I am a elf and a girl.

which you would think is something that would bother me but no not really am not sure why it doesn't I'm pretty sure it should but I'm also pretty sure I should be dead so it's something I will have to figure out later along with everything else.

when I was around five I asked my new mom why the other elves avoid us she jumped a bit at the question but quickly regained her composure I still noticed it but chose to ignored it.

 

<<Well.... she paused trying to think of the right words ..it's just that they don't trust your other>>

 

<<blood.....>>

 

she paused again 

<<...we are at war with the humans and because your half human they don't trust us they don't hate us they are just weary of us>>

 

She seemed satisfied with the way she described it to me as she picked me up and said

<<now the most important thing to take away from this is that they don't hate us>>

 

'-'.....

 

<<Ok>>

<<Ok mom>>

 

<<<Good now do you want to help me get some carrots for dinner>>>

 

<<Yes please>>

 

That day I learned that the elves were at war with the humans she later told me that not all humans were bad as well as them not all being good Which I already knew but she can't know that.

<<in fact a human lives in that tower over there>>

 

she said pointing at a tall stone tower far off in the distance.

 

Now I did not have the best eyes or really anything in my new body but I know a wizard tower when I see one.

 

<<Can we go see them>>

 

<<No nonono that is way to far and if I remember you hate walking>>

 

She gave me a cheeky knowing smile

 

<<But...but I will really really try I won't complain at all>> 

I pleaded giving my best puppy dog eyes hoping to win her heart over.

 

<<Sigh....ok how about this when you turn ten I will walk with you to the tower and we can see if the human wants to talk how do you like the sound of that>>

 

<<I love it thanks mom>>

 

<<No problem sweetie>>

 

If only I knew she would never be able to walk me there.

 

Life continued on like normal I was around six when I started helping my mother with the garden.

i was never very smart in my past life i had little to no life skills I mean I am competent in art But that can't really be used to eat or make money at the moment maybe when I'm older.

 

so other then that all I have is a small knowledge of gardening and higher intelligence. 

 

So when it came to helping my new mother other then pushing myself i offered very little other then an extra pair of hands.

 

But hey it help us gain more money we had managed to gain enough money to fix the house up a bit.

 

When I turned seven my mother bought me a toy it was a small wood duck that could Rock back and forth it was nice.

 

Not the coolest toy but when you lost everything and had close to nothing a toy duck is something amazing even to someone from a different world.

 

I had fun playing with it passing time with it when my new mother would go out at night sometimes.

 

I may have been mentally older then seven at the time but I was still terrified of dying and those thoughts still give me panic attacks when they overwhelmed me.

One day I found a book on the ground in a alley in town and took it home with me and hid it my mother found out soon after and she was livid and made me take it back to town to return it.

 

We found the owner later in the day and he thanked us for returning it i had managed to look at a page but I didn't know how to read it.

 

After he thanked us he offered some money to my mother she was going to refuse it but took a glance at me and took the money from the man after that we want home and went to bed.

Then I was shaken awake by my mother as I opened my eyes and looked at her face I saw that she was scared and sweating.

 

<<Honey we have to go>>

<<Wha....what....>>

 

<<No time we have to go....NOW>

After that I got up and went to get dressed but she grabbed me and said.

<<No time get you shoes on>>

I quickly grabbed my shoes and put them on my mother then grabbed me and ran out of our home.

When we did I saw it bright orange lights behind us coming towards our home we ran and ran till we made it to town and.

<<No...nononoo>>

 

The town was also burning and people were running around panicking. 

 

my mother was trying to make her way through the crowds when she was pushed down by another person trying to get away.

 

When see was pushed I had fallen out of her arms and hit the ground hard it hurt.......badly.

Panic panic all I hear is panic and screaming as people run around me the smell of smoke filling my nostrils as my home burned around me and all I could think was how I got here....

Snaping out of the trance I focused on trying to find my mother I started running sneaking though the crowds ducking under legs and dodging wild kicks of panicking people.

 

As I made my way through I started to notice that people had stopped moving as I got close to the front I saw why eight men in armor on horses.

 

The people started to back away when the man in the front swung his sword down and a hail of arrows came from the darkness.

 

Blood splashed my face as a corpse fell on me i was frozen scared as more people fell to the volley of arrows as blood had started to pool around me.

 Screams ringing out yelling and gurgling as lungs  filled with blood this continued for what felt like hours but was most likely only a few minutes before the last yell cried out then silence deafening silence.

Then the *crunch* *pop* and *snaps* of body's getting crushed by horse hooves.

 

As I laid there I used all my mental strength to not cry as the sounds got closer pop pop crunch

 

Pop pop crunch snap I hoof landed right in front of my face I tensed up refusing to look up.

 

It felt like years before the hoof moved and continued on.

 

I stayed like that till sun up when I finally couldn't take it and had to get up as I tried to get up slowly pushing the body off of me and when I did I made the second worst I would ever make.

 

I looked across the sea of corpses and could see everything that happened....then my mind clicked and I thought one word mom.

 

4