Chapter 4. Lecture
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I will let someone else answer it. I don't want to hog it all the time. Hmm… The ones snoring behind, are you qualified enough to answer?"

Kawasegawa Eiko turned her head and signaled behind, making two sleepers to be highlighted in the class.

Yuya Kanzaki and Rokuonji Tsurayuki.

With all the attention towards them, Kyouya knew that this was the time to wake them up. He quickly shook them and whispered their names to wake them up.

"Yuya-san! Tsurayuki-kun!"

"Huh? What is it?"

Being carefree always, Yuya opened his eyes casually and yawned freely as if the attention from around was non-existent.

His behavior only made Kawasegawa Eiko's eyes twitch in anger. Not that Tsurayuki wasn't casual about it. He was, but the reputation of Yuya, with the tag of troublemaker to sleep during the orientation, overshadowed him.

Putting both of their behaviors aside, it didn't take more than a second for them to understand the situation they were in.

As Yuya's eyes cleared a bit out of sleep, he finally glimpsed at the blackboard, finding the topic being taught at the moment.

The Ten Elements of Scenario Writing.

'Hmm… Why do I feel this situation is so familiar? A deja vu?'

Something in his memory was clearing out, but his leftover sleep somehow interfered with it.

Meanwhile…

Finding two of them standing because of Eiko's action, the professor smirked, commenting on her.

"Kawasegawa-kun, you're interesting but also mean…"

"Much obliged."

And she took that comment wholeheartedly. She then turned her head towards both of them and glared at them, mostly Yuya, befitting of this treatment.

How dare they sleep in the class? Such ignorant students spoil the learning atmosphere.

But here is where she goes wrong. Yuya Kanzaki and Rokuonji Tsurayuki weren't ignorant.

"Then, sleeping beauties, what's your answer? Shall I take it you don't know? If you wish to surrende—"

"A hostile party."

"A villain."

Both of them simultaneously answered the professor.

That's right. Both of them weren't ignorant. They were fucking geniuses.

Cafeteria…

In the midst of cluttering plates and gossip, on a table sat all five Kitayama sharehouse members.

And they weren't silent. Most of them, specifically three of the five - Kyouya, Nanako and Shiroaki, were discussing the incident that happened just moments ago.

The answer to the question - the last element.

'So, that was the plot.'

Now that all of his drowsiness has disappeared, Yuya has finally remembered why he felt it so familiar. It was the plot.

The plot where Kyouya learns about Tsurayuki's writing prowess, making him wonder if he too is a part of the platinum era.

But out of all, Yuya's mind was focused on that red-haired girl that framed him and disturbed his sleep—Eiko Kawasegawa!

He couldn't help but take extra servings of food into his mouth and grumble in anger.

"Damn! That girl… I will teach her a lesson some day!"

Don't undermine Yuya Kanzaki's pettiness! What if he has another world's memories?!

Because of that, he is even more petty! There is no way he would let that red-haired chick leave after landing a blow on him.

Yuya, he follows gender equality! All learned from the legend Satou Kazuma!

'Speaking of Satou Kazuma, I should make Konosuba later on.'

He noted it down, though it would take a long time. After all, he hasn't even completed a single piece of animation till now!

Better not count chickens before chicks are hatched.

But still, Yuya has the confidence. Just like mentioned before, as long as it involves animation, there is never a lack of confidence in him.

"I said, it's nothing much! I just happened to read about it before. It's a coincidence! Okay! Pure coincidence! Even Yuya-san managed to answer that."

In the face of all the compliments, Tsurayuki dodged them by chomping food. Maybe it's his way of shying away.

"Still, it's amazing. You and Kanzaki-san made it sound so easy in that situation too!"

Shiroaki didn't stop, and she expressed her heartfelt feelings. Though Tsurayuki said it was nothing but coincidence, it was amazing in that way. Why?

Because all three of them didn't know the answer to it. To them, even if it was a coincidence, it was amazing. More so when both of them answered so casually.

A hostile party. A villain.

That's the tenth element of scenario writing. It refers to the protagonist's enemy. It can be anything—a character, an organisation, or even something within the protagonist, like trauma. It helps to keep the tension in the story.

When the answer came out, let alone the teacher, all the students were baffled. Even the perpetrator, Kawasegawa Eiko, was taken by surprise.

Anyway, the answer was right. But to Yuya, it didn't mean much.

A hostile party. A villain. This tenth element might be necessary in typical stories, but not in all.

The ten elements are indeed useful, but they aren't necessary. He has seen too many works in his head that didn't have this "Hostile Party" element.

Days passed.

Classes went on, with some of them being skipped or slept by Yuya. All of his energy went to his work, his animated short film for the Indie Arts Festival.

"Yawn! If not for her class, I wouldn't bother to attend today."

Just like always, today too he is sleep deprived. To this point, all the teachers and his fellow classmates were pretty much used to him and his behavior. 

His identity has been pretty much established as that of the sleep guy. Even Tsurayuki didn't sleep as much as he did.

Yuya even skipped the classes, only to come today because of Kanou-sensei. That red-haired woman just wouldn't leave him, unlike other teachers.

Soon, the students settled, and she entered. Misaki Kanou. She might be a teacher now, but apparently she too was an excellent arts student, winning the Osaka Film Festival Grand Prix award.

Her eyes scanned all over, stopped for a second on Yuya and then continued. Finding the hall to be preoccupied, she finally placed the notes in her hand on the table and announced today's lesson. One might assume it's the same, but this time it was different.

What is most important for an arts student? Without a doubt, it is practical. And today is the day when the newcomers get their first practicum.

1