Chapter 61: The end
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 61: The end

It seems that their move was all too obvious, for, when they reached Elderon, there was a small army waiting for them. Erin didn't want to harm the soldiers, and neither did Lysander. It was one thing, to lash out against the denizens of the frontier. There were plenty of foul things in there. But soldiers, ones who were clearly human? It simply didn't sit well with the boys. 

As Erin landed, he expected chains. Instead, a man in painted breastplate came forward. He was wearing a monastic scapula over it. This must be a paladin, for only those types of warriors wore such a thing. 

"So, my mage was correct. Drypond's dragon really wishes to usurp me?" The man said, with a jolly smile. Erin changed back, and made a step, so he could hide Lysander behind his back. 

"Are you the king?" Erin asked, with a slight bow of his head. These sorts of mannerisms were something he remembered from a lifetime ago. Back when he was a boy in Brier Village. 

"King Aldras Elderon, First of my name, and all that crap," the king said. Both Erin and Lysander blinked. This king didn't sound like a king. Shouldn't he have a more authoritative air about him? 

"Your majesty, why did you take over Drypond?" Lysander asked. The king chuckled. 

"I was elected. Boys, before you commit a crime, for which I will have to hang you, do listen to me," the two boys hadn't known that the king had come to power peacefully. Oh, sure, he might be lying. Yet, the wanderer and dragon decided to listen anyway. 

It seems, that king Aldras was nominated for the position after the voting had failed to produce a Parliament five times in a row. He was young, only forty years of age, but he was also a wanderer. For the humans to have elected him, then he must truly bring something to the table. 

"My aim is to make sure that the prejudice of the Drypond Republic is a thing of the past. It is high time, that the humans accepted they live side by side with non-humans," the king finished, and then took two badges. "And now, for your role. You can choose to remain by yourselves, and go back to the frontier. Changing nothing." 

Lysander was ready to argue. He wanted the things to change. Yet, he also didn't want bloodshed. 

"Or, you can become knights in my Drypond Order. Something I created, after coming to power," the king said, and the two boys shared a look. 

"We would like to change the country," Erin said. It has never sat well with him that Lysander still had to go around with scarves around his head, when they visited different towns for the first time. 

"Are you certain? You might end up assigned to different regiments," the king clarified. Erin looked at Lysander then. 

"Ly, you deserve to go into the light, without hiding," Erin said, and he made a step towards the king. Then, he reached out, and took the badge with the dragon on it. "What is my first mission?" 

"Training," the king said, as he walked by Erin, and handed the other badge to Lysander. "You are untrained. Currently, the country is peaceful, so, there won't be a need for you to fight. I will do my best not to separate you. Yet, some platoons will benefit from mages of your caliber." 

Lysander reluctantly took the badge. Yet, there was something he couldn't understand. 

"Why bother going all this way, for two people, who might as well be traitors?" the wanderer asked. The king chuckled. 

"Traitors? You would have been traitors, if you have gone through your plan, of warding off the frontier. Yet, you didn't get the chance to. Tell me, dear boy, did you really think that the world will remain the same, after you became a revolutionary? And, why fight for the rot, which has infested this country for eons?" Aldras asked. 

"It is the world we know," Lysander said, yet, there was no conviction in his voice. He knew that no human will thank him, for his efforts. Yet, this was a fellow wanderer. It was the only reason, why he chooses to follow the man. 

"You will find that change is nothing to be afraid of. Seeing as you two are Master Alchemists, you will also be made to do potions, from time to time. I decided that, instead of you being posted in the capital, you are to be stationed near the frontier. So, you can go home, when you are on a leave," Aldras said with a gentle smile. Lysander looked at Erin. 

"We can still see Belle and Tine, Ly," Erin said, and he bounced on his feet. "When is our first leave?" 

"For Yule," the king said, and Erin wilted at that. "Then again, the Dread hasn't been active, since it made a deal with Evander Shade to police it. So, I doubt that I will mind, if you go home during the weekend." 

"Thank you," both young men said. 

Sure, this was not like their dream of being adventurers, but, they were still able to travel. Lysander didn't hide his face behind scarves anymore, and Erin was happy, as can be, about that. The now Kingdom of Drypond included the frontier in its lands, after a time. All the unsavory elements from those lands were driven off into the sea, and the rest, agreed to join the king's peace. 

As for Lysander and Erin, they served their twenty years in the military, and then began to serve as chief diplomats. Time passed, and life settled. The two managed to work their way to a joined sit as Ministers of External Affairs, with the king's blessings. The Dread didn't pay Drypond any attention, just like it has always done. For, the rest of the world now knew balance, and there was no need for the deity of necromancer to meddle into the affairs of men. 

The End. 

 

0