Chapter 10 – Ball
168 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I continued to test what I could do on the piano for the next hour or so before the butler suddenly appeared behind me and started to speak, “Mr. Leo, Mr. Rio, the guest will be arriving soon.” I got startled and flinched before looking behind me, it was like he snuck up on me.

“Alright, thank you. Should I continue just playing the piano then?” I asked.

“No, if you wish you can grab some food with Mr. Rio and relax for a little bit. I’ll let you know when you need to be on stage again.”

“Okay, thanks.” I replied before standing up and stretching, Rio copied my movements.

The butler left shortly after and headed back upstairs. Rio and I headed just off stage, and I started to speak, “How are you feeling?”

“I feel better after hearing you play.”

“Alright, that’s good. Do you remember what to do if someone askes you to marry their daughter?”

“Yeah! I just politely say ‘No-’ Huh!? Wait, what!? They’re not going to ask me that!”

“Hah, looks like you’re all good. Keep your head up, they’re entering now.” I replied looking towards the front entrance that started to open.

Rio looked towards the door, and I heard a gulp.

And in came the first pair of nobles, they had looked as expected. Colorful hair with a fancy attire, they had looked as good as one would expect.

In just a few dozen minutes, the room had filled with nobles. Rio and I grabbed some food before we headed back towards the stage and minded our business.

I wasn’t scared or fearful towards the nobles, one thing I remember writing about them were that they weren’t complete scumbags for no reason. They were human just like any other. I just kind of wanted to mind my business and enjoy a delicious meal with Rio.

There were some people I could recognize; Jimmy Frostborn, the duke that reigns in the cold south. Evan Heatsworth, the duke that reigns in the blazing north. There were also a few others, but those two were the most notable, they had an appearance that fit their name and a presence like no other. It felt surreal seeing my characters in real life.

“Do you know anyone here, Rio?” I asked while taking a bite of some steak.

“I don’t…Should I?”

“No, probably not, it doesn’t matter much.”

After I finished speaking, I noticed that we caught the eye of one of the nobles who started to walk towards us, “Heads up, Rio.” I said.

It was a middle-aged man with black hair and green eyes. I quickly checked his status before he could speak.

 

Nicholas Janson – 42

Skills – Trench

Talents – Farming

Stats: B

Strength: B-

Agility: B

Dexterity: B

Stamina: B-

Mana: C+

 

It wasn’t anyone I knew, just a random noble I presumed.

“Good afternoon, my name is Nicholas Janson, a count in the eastern parts.” He put his hand on his chest and politely spoke, “May I have the pleasure of knowing you two?”

…This is why I didn’t want to talk to them… It’s so formal and I honestly have no idea how to replicate…

“Good afternoon, Count Janson. My name is Leo, and this is my younger brother, Rio, we do not have a title however, we are providing the music for today.” I slightly bowed and Rio followed.

I have no idea if that was right…

“Ah, that’s wonderful. I will look forward to hearing the music today then. If his majesty has allowed you to perform here, you must be pretty exceptional.”

“I hope my performance pleases your ears then.”

“Haha, I’m sure it shall. I will take my leave for now, have a pleasant day.” He slightly bowed before leaving to talk to another noble.

Rio looked at me with open eyes, “…That was impressive…How did you-?”

“I pulled it out of my ass, I don’t want to do that again… He was nice, but I don’t know how they communicate like that all day.” I sighed.

“Huh? Are you allowed to say that?”

“To you I am, right?”

His eyes widened for a bit before he answered, “Yeah! Yeah, you can!”

There were another two nobles who had came and spoken to us, they were pretty similar to Count Janson, respectful and polite. Eventually, the butler had told me that I should start playing music now. He told me not to sing until the ‘dance’ starts, whatever that meant.

I took a deep breath before getting on stage and heading to the piano, there were no announcements made, I simply started to play.

It’s weird. Alongside with never touching a piano before, I also had never known any plain piano songs. But somehow, I did now, I didn’t know the names of the songs, but I knew how to play them. Was it really because of my ‘Music’ talent, or was it something else?

I didn’t look towards the nobles and only continued to play, I had no idea what look they had on their face or if they even liked it. But I enjoyed myself, it felt fun to play the piano.

After a few dozen minutes, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was the butler, he whispered in my ear, “If you want to take a break for now, you can. The princess will be arriving soon.” I nodded my head before standing up and heading back towards Rio.

He was talking to some noble who noticed me and smiled before leaving as I approached Rio. “How’s it hanging?” I asked.

“Ah-!” Rio got startled before looking towards me, “Oh! Leo! Thank goodness it’s you…”

“Mm? What happened?”

“It’s difficult to talk to them… Trying to match their tone and being careful of my words is hard…”

“Hah, it is, isn’t it? But considering there’s been no outburst, it seems like you’ve been doing fine.”

“Yup! I think everything has been fine so far. I’ve done my best! Some of them had asked about you though, so I didn’t know what to say.”

“Mm? What did they ask?”

“Something about how much you charged per event, at least one of them did. I kind of forgot what the others asked, sorry.”

Sweet…That means I should be able to make some more money. It’d have to be on Saturday’s though, I can’t miss just any day of the week.

“It’s fine, thank you.” Shortly after I spoke, a noble approached me clapping his hands, he wore a white tux and white gloves, he totally looked fishy. “That was wonderful! A brilliant performance! That last song was ‘The Stars Stairway’, right? It’s an absolutely beautiful but difficult song to perform-Ah, forgive my manners.” He bowed before continuing, “My name is Marcus Ferguson, I’m a musician myself and was blown away by your performance.”

“Ah-Hello, my name is Leo Vondheart, that’s right, it was ‘The Stars Stairway’ that I played.”

What? Is that what it was called? This guy is kind of eccentric, but it feels like he knows his stuff, he did call himself a musician rather than a noble after all. I have no idea if that’s what it’s actually called, but I’m not going to say that I have no idea what the title was.

“I knew it! Brilliant! You also played ‘The Oceans Tide’ and ‘Stars Motive’ before! You’re also a fan of Hamstrung, I presume?”

“Mhm.”

Who?

“Wonderful! If it’s not too much of a hassle, I’d love to talk more about music with you!”

“Ah-I’m sorry, but I’m usually busy with work, and I’m kind of low on money, I don’t have much free time, I apologize.”

“That’s a shame. If you’re available perhaps I could hire you to play some music for me instead someday.”

“I do offer music services on Saturdays, if you’re looking for a musician for an event or something.”

“Oh! That’s wonderful, then I will be in contact with you sometime in the future.”

“Sure-” After I replied, I felt a tap on my shoulder and I looked behind me, it was the butler, “After the princess arrives, the ball will start, and you can start singing. Do you know what you’re going to perform?”

“Mm? Would the birthday song suffice?”

“Haha, that is a funny joke, Mr. Leo.”

“O-haha, yeah, right?”

Shit.

When I turned back towards Marcus, he was gone. I looked around the room a bit more but there was no sight of someone in a white suit, it was like he was never here in the first place.

What the…?

“Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please.” A loud voice came from the stairs, “The king, princess, and crown prince will now make their entrance.”

The whole room suddenly got very quiet as everyone focused their attention on the door.

Just moments later, the big front doors opened and in came four people. The king, the queen, the princess, and the crown prince. They all had looked stunning and wore the color of the sun.

There was another tap on my shoulder, it was the butler and he signaled me to sit at the piano while waiting for further instructions. I complied.

“Greetings everyone, I am glad you all could make it.” The king’s voice echoed throughout the room, it was a deep, strong voice that had an obvious presence. “We have gathered here today to celebrate my daughter, Kathryn Vandersun’s 16th birthday-” He continued to speak and gave a fairly long speech before taking a seat. The queen sat in a chair next to him.

There were a range of claps and a few dozen minutes of conversation and gift giving after his speech.

After all that was finished, the king stood up and started to speak, “The royal ball will now begin.” He looked towards me which made me flinch a little before he nodded. That was my cue to start playing.

A ball, huh? Shit… The birthday song won’t suffice? Um…I think I’m fucked.

I took a deep breath before starting to press the keys of the piano. A familiar sound came out as I started to sing, “Fly me to the moon~

---

7