Chapter 31: A Second Escape Attempt
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vermon left the Imperial Palace to meet his men at the port and order them to prepare his ship to sail at dawn. When he returned home that evening, he prepared for the journey to the kingdom of Empamalangon, then teleported from his room to the next room to see Orb.

Vermon stood in the middle of the quiet room and saw Orb asleep on the couch in front of the small fireplace. He had been avoiding Orb in the past few days when he was in the company of Jerboa because he did not want to spoil Jerboa’s efforts in lifting Orb’s spirits. 

Vermon knew that Orb was upset with him. Unquestionably, he was looking at Vermon with abhorrence for the constant abuse, the hurtful teasing, and the instant rejection of putting an end to his life. He did not want to see Orb’s condition relapse after he had improved considerably.

Vermon was unsure about taking Orb with him on his journey but felt it was risky to leave him at home, for he did not forget the nobles’ hidden ambitions to obtain Orb. It was so troublesome to prevent their men from breaking into his house three times as soon as the rumors about Orb’s attempted suicide spread.

They chose the time when Orb was at his weakest state. Even though he was busy with the Crown Prince in the Imperial Palace, Vermon could not let them escape his blows and the Uthusian-charged whips of Honsinu. He also could not avoid killing a few of them.

Vermon was particularly concerned about the threat of Lord Barloschios, who was straightforward about his interests. They had met a few times in the Imperial Palace and repeatedly argued about the same topic, to the point where Barloschios brought some of his most treasured items to the Palace in exchange for Orb.

There was also the potential threat of the treacherous Supreme Minister and his son, although he promised the Crown Prince to do Orb no harm. Still, Vermon could not let go of the past injustice done to him and his slave at his hand.

Vermon walked to where Orb was sleeping and stood opposite him. He thought Orb looked much better, but he was unsure what went on inside his head. He was afraid of Orb running away or hurting himself again, so he eventually found himself staring intently at Orb’s furrowed eyebrows and sleeping position. He curled his body on his left side with his knees bent over each other. He noticed a small green leaf stuck on his disheveled hair as his head rested on his palms.

What was he up to in my absence? And why does he smell of … burnt wood? Vermon suspected that he was playing with the firewood.

“What do you want?” Orb’s sudden but quiet voice startled Vermon, who kept staring at Orb’s closed eyes.

“Were you pretending to be asleep?” Vermon marveled wryly.

“No, I just woke up,” Orb opened his eyes without moving any of his limbs.

“...”

Orb’s tone was quiet and soft but effectively thwarted Vermon’s eruption at that moment. “Get ready. We will sail at dawn to the Kingdom of Empamalangon,” he finally said.

Orb almost forgot to breathe for a moment. He sat up and looked in Vermon’s direction.

“Why?” He sounded alarmed.

Vermon’s eyes were following the green leaf stuck between Orb’s tufts of hair. “I received an order from the emperor to catch up with the Crown Prince and accompany him on his trip. It’s a special mission that may be prolonged,” he answered in earnest.

“I can’t accompany you.”

Orb said this in a clear, firm tone that provoked Vermon, who sarcastically said, “I don’t understand why I have to explain the circumstances of the journey to you,” Vermon extended his hand toward Orb’s hair and snatched the leaf out without Orb feeling it.

“You’ll go with me,” he said authoritatively.

“I’m not going to that country,” Orb shouted defiantly, “I refuse.” Orb stood up and confronted Vermon, who was ten centimeters taller and broader in the shoulders than him, yet he looked small in front of him.

“You will not go? And you refuse?”

Vermon sarcastically echoed as he laughed while Orb glued his damaged eyes on Vermon but said nothing.

“Do I need to remind you of your first escape attempt when you arrived here? Now you refuse to go?” Then Vermon shouted, “You’ll come with me whether you like it or not! You told me you were not from that land when I found you in the temple, and since you are not, I don’t care what other reason makes you refuse. I won’t ask you because I don’t care!”

Vermon bent over Orb and went on, “Did you think I would let you defy me and do as you please just because you’ve completely gone blind? Isn’t it enough that you’re useless?” Vermon narrowed his eyes at Orb, who directed his blind gaze at that moment to the fireplace in silent distress.

Do you think I don’t know? Do you have to hurt me like that, Vermon? His heart thudded painfully in his chest. “That’s why I wanted you to kill me.” Orb did not raise his eyes and went on quietly but sadly, “I don’t understand why you insist on keeping me when I am useless.”

“You are not the one who decides. How many times must I tell you this? You are an owned property, and an owned property doesn’t choose; do you understand?” Vermon straightened up, “I do not plan to kill you,” he stressed, “I will not.”

***

That night, Orb could not sleep; he tossed and turned as he grew more restless. The idea of traveling to the Kingdom of Empamalangon worried him. It forced some fragments of unpleasant memories to resurface from his subconscious mind: the circumstances of his hiding in the Awa Temple, Vermon’s enslaving and abducting him.

Yet the seal of Uthus interrupted these memories and sent out a shock wave all over Orb’s body, strong enough to paralyze him on the bed. The pain made him sweat profusely and suffer a headache that forced groans out of him. He buried his face in the pillow and muffled them lest Vermon heard him in the adjacent room.

He sniffled as he felt irritation, anger, and sorrow. All these negative feelings were due to the unbearable pain of the seal, the memories, his going back to that land, and his inability to end his life and escape this endless torture.

To Orb, the idea of traveling with Vermon was also even more disturbing as the two were like water and oil. They were cursed with impatience and the inclination to challenge each other. Therefore, the possibility of a new confrontation between them would certainly end in favor of Vermon, who was much stronger, as he had his Uthusian energy, his own ship, and the aid of his men and friends.

Hence, Orb considered escaping once they reach the port and just before boarding the ship, and he chose that timing specifically because escaping the house that night was impossible. He knew that Vermon had ordered the servants to take turns watching him and authorized using weapons if needed.

***

At dawn, Vermon’s private carriage set off for the port. He permitted Orb to sit opposite him after forcing him to wear the red mask and a black cloak. The thick cloak concealed his presence by minimizing the flow of his black energy.

Vermon did not offer any explanation to Orb about his hating the Arkosians to recognize him. For a moment, he thought that all this precaution and protection of Orb was too much, but then he admitted to himself that this troublesome situation was all his fault.

Vermon, crossing his arms under his black cloak all the time, was intently staring at Orb, and he felt from the sight of Orb’s tightened lips that he was not happy about the journey, but he did not care as he believed he did the right thing.

When the carriage reached the port, the coachman hurried to open the door for Vermon, who remained seated and kept his gaze at Orb. Orb did not move either, as he did not sense the movement of Vermon and tried his best to calm his loud, accelerated heartbeats.

He was ready to carry out his plan but worried that Vermon would tie him as soon as his feet settled on the ground, with the Uthusian-generated chain he released from his hand or the rough-textured ropes that hurt him every time they rubbed against his skin.

“Are you going to try to escape, Orb?” Vermon questioned, almost in a whisper.

“No,” Orb quickly responded.

Vermon descended from the carriage, trusting that his blind and suicidal slave would not run away from him. I hope he will not try to play any tricks on me and make me upset. I really don’t want to hurt him. Vermon was determined not to hurt Orb.

However, as soon as Orb’s feet touched the ground, he dashed forward, leaving everything behind. Orb ran at the top of his speed away from the carriage and Vermon, to the shock of Vermon himself and the coachman.

Orb ran and ran, passing other passengers, carriages, and workers like a possessed man. He stumbled over a rope and rolled a few times but managed to stand up and run again as fast as his emaciated legs would carry him. His heart was racing madly in his chest, and he was panting for air.

***

Meanwhile, the coachman and two more of Vermon’s men were about to go after Orb and bring him back to his master, yet he ordered them to stay and prepare the ship to set sail. Vermon was extremely vexed but feigned composure as he proceeded to pursue Orb.

He strode with increasing vigor across the stony ground of the crowded port. Keeping his eyes on Orb, who stumbled at that moment, Vermon smiled triumphantly as he followed his runaway slave, believing that he could not go farther without the assistance of a cane even if he knew the directions.

Vermon could have teleported himself to where Orb was heading and caught him immediately. Still, he found pleasure in hunting him that way and witnessing with his own eyes his slave’s trepidation and confusion. Orb’s constant stumbling and collision with passengers and workers were entertaining yet pitiful to watch.

Although Orb was a Roaming Star that could go in the right direction away from the port, he did not consider the port's unexpectedly busy life and traffic at dawn. Trying to avoid the Arkosian men and women, the carriages, boxes, beasts, and whatever object in his way was troublesome.

Despite that, Orb was running faster and more frantically without slowing down a bit. Suddenly, he stumbled over an old net and fell to his knees. When his feet got entangled in the net, he struggled madly to free them amidst the people’s alarmed looks. At one point and out of extreme panic, Orb closed his masked eyes, expecting that Vermon would catch him at any moment.

Orb then recalled his ability to evaporate. He sweated heavily and released a groan as a shock wave swept his entire body, just like the one that paralyzed him at night. Why don’t you let me use my power when I need it? Why do you have to follow the will of the master who bestowed you on me? Please let me be, let me be, Orb whimpered as he panted.

The pain was terrible, but the sense of paralysis was more horrifying than words could describe. Orb wanted to use it even for a few seconds. He wanted to use it badly. He blamed himself for letting his anxiety and confusion blind him from using that ability earlier, which could give him enough time to mislead Vermon and his men.

At that moment, Orb evaporated, to the astonishment of Vermon and the workers who came to help him disentangle his feet from the net. Vermon was a few meters away from Orb and about to capture him but was frozen in shock the moment he saw him disappear. He pushed through the crowd to the entangling net but found only his clothes, wet bandages, shoes, and mask.

What? Did he just disappear?

“WHAT THE HELL!” Vermon exclaimed.

Wait! What is that supposed to mean? Is he naked right now? Is he wandering the port stripped? Vermon panicked for a moment. As he collected Orb’s things, he demanded to know where the young man had disappeared to, but of course, no one knew.

Vermon furrowed his brows in vexation and blamed himself for his arrogance, underestimating Orb, and forgetting Orb’s unknown abilities. He regretted not teleporting himself immediately to where Orb was heading when he ran off. He regretted not chaining him with his Uthusian chain when they were in the carriage together.

Vermon feared that Orb could not control his energy and had disappeared into the depth of the sea forever or that he had disappeared to some unknown place in the capital where someone, taking advantage of his blindness, would find and kidnap him.

If it hadn’t been for his black energy and special abilities, I wouldn’t have been worried and brought him with me. I would have locked him up. How troublesome!

He hated the rare black energy emitted by Orb’s body which made him a quarry pursued by the nobles of Uthus. He hated the fact that they considered chasing him a sport they boasted about, and catching him a prize most valued, without any regard to their assault on the rights of the real owner. He hated the whole thing.

“It’s my fault,” Vermon ran forward. “His escape is my fault,” he avoided being hit by a fast-moving carriage, “his disappearance is my fault,” he kept muttering to himself in vexation as he shoved more people out of his way while looking everywhere for Orb, “I, alone, am to blame.”

***

Orb had not completely disappeared but transformed into water before evaporating, thanks to his ability to control the elements of water and air. However, because the Uthus seal weakened his energy, he could prolong the transformation for only five minutes.

Although in his air form, he moved smoothly, he lost his clothes and mask in the process. He did not forget the embarrassing fact of his being naked while moving to a back alley, then to another side passageway less busy than the main road. Orb eventually reached a quieter side of the port where commercial vessels were docked.

As soon as Orb returned to his original form, he stood up and leaned on a warehouse wall to catch his breath and calm his rapid heartbeats. The sea breeze enveloped his bare body with vigor he did not like. He stood still, afraid and anxious about being spotted in that shameless state.

He heard someone snoring two meters away from him. When he walked over, Orb mistakenly stepped on the sleeping man’s hand. The man soon woke up grumbling and cursing, but Orb wasted no time as he squatted and quickly felt the man’s body.

“Excuse me, sir, I know this is a crime, but I must take your clothes,” he whispered. Without giving the man a chance to react, Orb grabbed the man’s face with one hand and slammed it onto the wall behind him with strength no one would expect from his emaciated hand, but it rendered the man unconscious. Orb was quick, vicious, and felt no regret.

“I truly apologize. I know that hitting you was another crime, but I had no choice,” he murmured gloomily as he pulled the man’s shirt and pants off and put them on. They smelled of sweat and smoke and were a bit loose, but he did not mind. He was panting, nervous, and almost terrified. He wanted to get away from that place as soon as he could.

He also knew that in front of him extended a wide wooden pier ending into the sea, and to his right, a thick, high brick wall separating him from one of the port’s old gates, but to his acute sense of smell, these two structures smelled old and desolate.

***

End of Chapter (31)

0