Chapter 32: Abducted
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Am I in the right place? For a second, Orb, the Roaming Star, felt so unsure about the accuracy of his location as panic struck him. However, it was another smell that interrupted his thoughts. The sea breeze brought to his tired lungs the foul smell of the poisonous Pawzon stick that he knew well and could not stand. He was quick to deduce that some rich people, who could afford it, stood nearby.

Orb took a step back, attempting to escape even though he could not see the gaping looks on their faces, for they were as astounded as he was. Yet they were faster than him, and they circled him with leering eyes and left him no route for escape.

“It’s a quarry!” One exclaimed.

“It is, indeed! I can’t believe it!” Said the other.

“This is our lucky day!” shouted the third one in excitement.

Suspecting that only three Arkosian nobles surrounded him, Orb’s heart was thumping with an internal panic. The men had just finished smoking in a secluded area far from the cargo assembling point. Therefore, it was easy for them to gang up on him.

Orb felt stuck in a tight hole, difficult to escape for two reasons: He was the target of a group of nobles, who might draw the attention of others and Vermon to him. The other reason was his inability to use his energy again at that moment since he transformed into a liquid, an air, and then returned to his original form.

One of the three grabbed the tip of Orb’s sleeve and lifted his arm like he was holding something dirty. “Isn’t he the slave of Vermon, son of Uthus?” He asked in apparent disgust.

 “Yes, look at the seal on his hand,” the other answered confidently as he turned his eyes between Orb’s and his companions’ faces, “but why was he running around naked and stealing someone’s clothes after hitting him?”

The three men stared at the unconscious, naked man behind Orb and smiled in excitement. “Did you see how vicious he was?” Orb felt another hand touch his hair, “He must have fled from his master!” the man mocked.

However, glued to the wall, Orb slapped his opponent’s hand with force, causing the three to gasp in great shock. The three recalled the rumors about the unruly slave who stole the sword of a noble, tried to kill his master, and took forty lashes without falling unconscious.

“Then the rumors were true,” said one.

“Let’s hand him over to Vermon,” said the one holding his sleeve.

“You idiot! He is a quarry! No one’s going to blame you if you use him even for a little!” objected the third one, who tried to touch Orb and glared at him with hatred.

Making use of their argument, Orb seized the opportunity and ran, but the large and strong hands of the Arkosian men quickly combined to stop him, grab his arms from each side and pin him to the wall. Yet his resistance grew fiercer as one hand attempted to pull his pants down, and in retaliation, Orb used his feet to brutally kick the man closest to him in the ribs, leaving him rolling on the ground in pain.

Orb needed to free his arms quickly. "HOW DARE YO..." the next man was cut off by Orb’s suddenly kicking his arm with his other foot. It was a strong kick that made the Arkosian curse in pain as he took a few steps back and felt his forearm getting numb.

Without wasting another minute, Orb punched the third man’s face with his free fist. “UGH! YOU FILTHY SLAVE!" despite the pain and his bleeding nose, the man squeezed Orb’s arm without letting go, “I shall screw you first,” shouted angrily.

Hearing him, Orb felt extreme fury and again punched the man in the stomach with all his might. Unintentionally, Orb released a small amount of energy that set fire to his opponent’s clothes and sent him flying a few meters away. The man screamed in pain and panic when he saw his clothes on fire.

Alarmed and panicked, the other two ran after their companion, stood over him, and put the fire out with their coats as they cursed Orb, allowing him to run away.

***

Orb stumbled and flipped for the third time upon a pile of ropes blocking his way. He deeply regretted throwing Vermon’s cane in the willow pond, as it could have helped him defend himself and know what was getting in his way.

 As soon as he stood up, he resumed running. Orb’s body sweated profusely. His breathing grew short and shallow. Once again, he felt that he had made a great mistake when he escaped from Vermon to be chased by creepy Arkosian men.

“Catch him!” someone shouted.

Knowing that he was pursued by the three, Orb jumped over boxes stacked along the high wall onto the edge and ran as fast as he could on the top of the wall. As if his compass had broken down, Orb was once again unsure of the direction and was consumed with panic and the desire to escape the whole scene.

Orb’s confusion increased when the wheels of a carriage approached below him. The sound of the running wheels was too close and consistent. He believed the carriage, which ran adjacent to the wall, was following him on purpose.

Orb kept running on the one-meter-wide wall with remarkable speed and lightness. The more Orb heard the mad wheels approaching persistently, the more his lungs struggled for air. He felt surrounded, smothered, and sad that he believed the one chasing him was Vermon and that Vermon’s anger was as devastating and noisy as the noise of these mad wheels.

“Leave me alone, Vermon!” he cried in despair, “For God’s sake, let me go!”

The sound of the wheels stopped suddenly. Orb thought he had made it, but he did not realize at the time what was awaiting him behind the wall. He instantly jumped to that side, thinking it would lead him to the exit.

While in the air, Orb realized too late that he only had beneath him an abandoned side of the port as cruel and brutal as the Arkosians. Enormous, sharp rock clusters projected from the seabed like the feared claws of sea monsters. They smelled of a sickeningly sweet, metallic scent. They smelled of death.

Vermon. Occupied by regret and anxiety, Orb suddenly thought of him.

At that moment, Orb was startled by a strong arm wrapping around his waist in midair. Someone held him firmly as he jumped lightly backward and away from the rock clusters beneath them, which were about to impale him and crush his bones.

A concentrated but warm and soft aroma emanated from the body of his savior, who kept holding him firmly and silently. Soon Orb could distinguish it: a combination of sandalwood and spices. Orb’s heartbeats were jumbled in another fit of panic.

Barloschios!

***

Barloschios smiled at Orb’s apparent surprise and stiffened limbs. Still, in the air, he glanced at the damp strands of hair which hid Orb’s eyes and nose. He saw Orb’s small lips slightly parted and releasing unceasing whistling of strained lungs struggling to get enough air.

“My lord, free me,” Orb requested, “please.”

Barloschios descended swiftly but gracefully to the ground. During the few seconds they were in the air, Orb did not make any sound other than asking politely and quietly to be freed. He also showed no resistance, for his limbs were as stiff as wood. Barloschios was unsure whether it was due to his fear or shock, but it did not bother him.

The graceful descent of the unmerciful, most feared, cold-blooded lord to the ground was not in compliance with Orb’s wih, but rather a small trick to make Orb believe that his wish was answered so he would be less tense.

Thus, when Barloschios’ feet settled on the ground, he grabbed Orb with the same gentle force. Sensing the lord’s disinclination to free him, Orb’s hands tried to push Barloschios’ arm away. However, that one arm was stubbornly wrapped around his waist like a tenacious snake that slithered around its prey and would not let go.

“Let me go,” said Orb quietly but firmly, “my lord.”

“I’ll let you go,” Barloschios earnestly replied.

Without wasting a minute, Barloschios teleported from the port to his mansion. It was an excellent opportunity within his reach to spend some time with such a distinctive slave. His greed made him ignore the circumstances of Orb’s presence at the port, his wish to be left alone, and a possible exchange of blows with Vermon.

***

This was the fastest abduction in Orb’s life, which he only realized after Barloschios had left him standing in a warm, quiet place away from the madly crowded port. He could hear the firewood crackling loud and clear and the Hermit Thrush’s song sad and haunting.

The fragrance of Barloschios was faint, from which Orb deduced that His Lordship had kept a distance for some time.

“Welcome to my mansion, Orb,” boasted Barloschios.

Orb stood in a small hall with tiles and columns of white marble, two of which stood on either side at a short height for decoration. A large fireplace was in the middle of the wall, topped with small pieces of antiques. Fine pieces of furniture and stone sculptures were distributed around the hall, forty of which were complete, and thirteen others were still in progress. There was a small desk in one corner with hammers and carving tools of various shapes and sizes.

Orb felt nervous and alarmed by what had happened. He did not have time to think or react appropriately in such a situation. However, he flinched when the two large hands of Barloschios settled on his shoulders and pushed him down to sit on a chair he brought from a corner.

“What were you thinking? Why did you abduct me?” Orb feigned composure.

“Abduct? Oh, don’t accuse me of such a petty crime as that, Orb,” Barloschios spoke with an indiscernible irony, which Orb did not like, as he fiddled with a rope in his hand.

“You took me away by deception and against my will. This is a crime!”

“I do not deserve this angry tone of yours since I’m the one who helped your master and the Crown Prince to save your insignificant life from poisoning, and I even killed my coachman after the mission to keep your secret.”

At the Crown Prince’s order, I had to kill my coachman who took us to Deeda. I promised him to keep the secret of the whole mission. I can’t believe I helped your master and the prince reveal your enemy. I even gave up my treasure for you! Barloschios reflected with contempt.

“…”

Orb showed no interest to know and understand why Barloschios must kill a servant for him. All that he wanted at that moment was escape. So, not wishing to waste more time with his abductor, he said nothing.  

“And I saved you again from a bunch of vulgar predators,” Barloschios looked disgusted, “Don’t you dare to preach when you, a mere slave, just committed criminal offences in one day,” Barloschios warned.

“What criminal offences?” Orb questioned half-heartedly.

“You ran away from your master and attacked Arkosian citizens,” Barloschios smirked as he added, “You think our empire has no laws? Ah, you poor, ignorant slave!”

Orb looked pale, but what Barloschios said did not prevent him from trying to get up; however, the latter was shocked once more when his captor wrapped the rope around his body and tied him to the wooden chair.

“What are you doing? Stop!” Exclaimed Orb as he resisted, “Have you gone mad?”

“I’d be mad if I didn’t tie you up. I know what you’re capable of, Orb, which makes me want to be careful,” Barloschios spoke confidently as he straightened up and clasped his hands behind his back.

“Have you been watching me?”

“No, but I was at the port. I was busy monitoring the transport of some imported goods when I noticed a bunch of scum chasing you. I only recognized you from the black energy you emitted and the way you fought them,” Barloschios stood facing Orb. “And who would foolishly challenge his superiors other than you?”

Barloschios spoke in almost a whisper, “Do you know how excited I am right now at getting you?” He smiled at Orb’s lack of response. His hair is in the way, and I cannot see his eyes clearly. He stared at Orb and continued, “Anyway, I followed you in my carriage while you ran aimlessly. You became more nervous and alarmed as soon as I followed you, to the point where you didn’t realize you were heading to the Rockmound[1],” Barloschios paused for a moment, “Were you trying to kill yourself—again, Orb?” he sounded serious.

That last question sent shivers down Orb’s spine. He never expected the news of his attempted suicide to spread this far and reach Barloschios. He closed his eyes, refusing to think or feel anything weird in the presence of this man.

Barloschios grabbed a strand of Orb’s brown hair and let it slip between his fingers. “Were you trying to escape, Orb? But where were you going?” he quietly wondered, “I don’t know of any friends of yours who will guide you, protect you, or make it easy for you to board a ship and escape the empire.”

“That’s none of your business,” Orb said as he leaned with his head to the right side after feeling Barloschios standing closer than ever. His concentrated scent was warm but invaded Orb’s sick lungs. Back away. Your scent makes me uncomfortable. Orb frowned.

“Ah, giving up the courteous attitude, I see. Do you think walking the streets of Arkosia is easy for a quarry like you?” Barloschios bent over and whispered, “You have a peculiar smell to your blood because of your black energy that only the sons of Uthus detect. It makes them thirst to chase, touch, taste, and possibly torture you. Your black energy makes them see in their minds that you are vulnerable, and they’re the hunters who have the right to hunt you.”

It was not the first time Orb heard about his being a quarry because of his black energy. Akinos had mentioned something about his black energy two weeks ago, and the three noblemen, who assaulted him today, referred to him as a quarry. Finally, he gained a better understanding of the nature of his black energy thanks to Barloschios.

Barloschios smiled as he remembered something. “I believe this energy of yours is what makes your master constantly toys with you. He enjoys chasing, abusing, locking, and chaining you. He is no exception. Poor boy, you are his prey!”

I see! That makes sense. Now, I know why Vermon constantly chases, provokes, and abuses me. As long as he lives, I am his prey, and he is my hunter. Orb felt irritated.

***

While the realization hit Orb hard, he unconsciously wanted to avoid Barloschios. So he leaned farther to the right until he lost his balance and fell to the ground, his body still tied to the chair.

His right arm hurt due to the increased pressure of the ropes on his flesh after his fall. Orb muffled a groan while Barloschios straightened up and remained standing in an aloof and supercilious manner above him without showing any reaction to Orb’s fall.

“How will you find a way to escape, Orb, when you are wanted, desired, and easy to track down? You have no power, money, friends, or way to facilitate your moving from one place to another?”

“Must you say that again?” Orb countered in anger, unable to think, “Let me go!”

Barloschios did not seem to listen to what Orb wanted. “Even if you managed to escape, you will never reach your destination.”

He spoke in the same confident tone with his eyes glued to the pale face of his prey. “So where are you escaping to? The Uthus seal prevents you from entering another land without your master. In other words, you cannot escape your master; the seal will shock your nervous system if you try. It will paralyze you completely, crush your will and kill you if you resist.”

Orb struggled to breathe as he listened intently to another new piece of information. A piece of valuable information about the seal that Barloschios disclosed so bluntly and without reservation. None of the books he had read in the past days revealed that as if it was an established fact.

I don’t recall Vermon alerting me to the impossibility of escaping him due to the seal. Does that mean I must drag him with me to whatever land I escape? Drag him? Is this even possible? Should I consider killing him? Arkosians can indeed live for centuries, but they are prone to death like other beings. Orb could not believe he was thinking secretly about that.

“It doesn’t matter what awaits me. It’s my business.” Orb pretended to be indifferent, “Unbind me!”

Barloschios dropped to one knee opposite Orb, who was still overturned with all his weight on his right side. “It’s your business if you’re a freeman, but you’re not Orb.” he smiled, “You are owned. You are a slave. You are the property of another man I know very well.”

He paused for a moment. “Choose me, and I will not treat you as a slave. You will be the master of this mansion.”

“Master? Aren’t you the one who said, ‘There can’t be two kings on one throne’? You said it when you killed one of your slaves in the Carnival of Shadows.”

Barloschios sighed and said, “You’re different,” he extended his hand toward Orb’s hair, wanting to see his eyes.

“You treat your slaves cruelly.”

“Yes, this I admit. I trusted them in the past, and they betrayed me,” Barloschios’ tone of voice became icy. “All of them betrayed me; I have lost faith in them since then. I will never trust slaves, not even you. I will not trust you.”

Orb became perplexed when he noticed Barloschios’ change of tone. He thought the cold, low voice emitted profound hatred and resentment.

“Didn’t you just say I was different?”

“Yes, you are different, and you’ll get the preferential treatment you deserve, but I will not trust you.”

Orb felt Barloschios’ long slender fingers touch his forehead to tuck his hair behind his ear. “Don’t touch my hair,” he exclaimed as he pushed Barloschios away with one of his free legs. Unintentionally, Orb released a little current of energy that, like a quick spark igniting a fuse, went through his weary body and set fire to the chair.

Orb remained unhurt. The quick flames burnt the ropes, freed his body, and continued consuming the wooden structure. Wanting to escape the grip of Barloschios, Orb crawled at first, then surged away. He staggered after consuming a considerable amount of energy this day.

Barloschios was quick to react to the unforeseen fire and grabbed one leg of the chair and threw it outside the open balcony. He was calm and collected, not letting Orb’s kick and attempt to escape distract him.

The burning chair, which fell into the large fountain basin in his gardens below, made him smile. Vermon must have had quite good times with this devil, Barloschios thought.

***

End of Chapter (32)

 

[1]  Rockmound is one of Arkosia’s unexplained mysteries. Once an active part of Ashtrem Port, became abandoned after the sudden projection of enormous, sharp rock clusters from the seabed. The phenomenon, which lasted for one day and night, was powerful enough to crush and eliminate all the existing ships, structures and people from the water’s surface.

0