1 | Prologue
147 7 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Word Count: 2163)

"The Great Disaster".

Four years ago—a virus created by mankind ended up becoming it's destroyer. The entire population of the world was reduced to a mere tenth of what it originally was. The virus ended up killing everyone over the age of thirteen, supposedly leaving a world of panicked children in it's wake. Although—little did humanity know, a certain group of species would take advantage of the chaos.

The world had no idea that there was an entire species that had been living alongside them for countless millennia—lurking underground, awaiting their chance to rule the surface once again, Vampires.

They announced to the populous that they would be the ones in charge of the world from now on—the children that remained ended up being reared as cattle, only existing to provide a stable source of blood for the vampires to feast upon. There were countless wards hidden underground where children would don what almost represented straight-jackets, and constantly have blood drawn out of them.

In particular, the conquest of Japan was lead by a fairly notable Vampire by the name of Krul Tepes, hailed as the Third Progenitor, as a result of both her immense power and success, she ended up being crowned "The Queen Of Japan" by the rest of the Vampires.

The Progenitors made up a council suitably named the "Progenitor Council"—a group of high ranking noble vampires ranging from rank one to six. Each of the members on the council have their own units responsible for keeping track of the lower ranked vampires, a "Vampire Police" if you will.

From what you have heard, you're probably assuming that all hope is lost, and this spelled the end for mankind—but you couldn't be more wrong. Four years after the calamity, the world began to rebuild—Japan making the most progress. Which ended up in an organization being formed by the name of "The Japanese Imperial Demon Army"—what is their goal you ask?

In summary, the organization is a human faction centered around "The Emperor's Demons"—a group of spellcasters spearheaded by the illustrious Hiragi Family—it doesn't matter where you look in the Army, the Hiragi's will always be there. Deep within it's roots, the organization has many goals, but on paper at least—they wish to bring forth the resurgence of humanity.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Shibuya Prefecture, Shibuya High School.

At first glance the building seemed to be rather ordinary, the walls, the windows, the garden—everything about this High School made it seem like an average learning institute—yet that was far from the truth.

Shibuya, was where the main base of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army resided, because of this, the location was heavily guarded allowing the majority of it's citizens to live peaceful and safe lives, but that would mean there would need to be people ensuring that their lives remain as such.

That brings us to the true purpose of this institution—recruitment. The entirety of Shibuya High School is used as a training ground for the army, they have facilities for people who are just joining the standard Army, and then there are "things" used for people who are trying to get into more "elite" regiments—but we'll get into that later.

Within one of the classrooms, sat a young man with pitch-black hair, slightly tanned skin and jet-black eyes, he donned the standard Shibuya High School Uniform, and was tapping his fingers across the surface of his table in an almost anxious manner.

[Furuya's POV]

I've been in this world for about a year now, it was all quite sudden really—one minute I was walking across the street—and the next I see two blinding headlights coming straight at me, and just like that I had died—or at least I was supposed to.

Instead of ending up and what I thought would be hell or heaven—I woke up in an unfamiliar body, my body had cuts and wounds all over it and as I looked up all I saw was a man wearing what seemed to be a cap and cloak picking me up.

It took me a while to realize it, but apparently I had somehow landed in the world of Owari No Seraph, a manga I read during my "old life" I suppose. My real name is, Saiki Akihiro, but according to my memories this body goes by the name of Furuya Ken, I liked the latter more so I just went with it. Apparently my parents were killed off by the virus and I was supposed to have ended up becoming livestock for the Vampires.

Fortunately, I seemed to have been "reincarnated" into the Shibuya where the Japanese Imperial Demon Army main headquarters is located, I don't really understand it but I believe this is one of—if not the safest place in the world as of now, although the definition of "safe" seems to have changed alongside the situation, thus by the time the Vampires made their way here, we already had defenses prepped. I've actually read the manga twice before in fact, so I can remember quite a bit.

As an orphan—I was granted a subsidy by the Imperial Japanese Demon Army, but on a strict condition. By the age of eighteen, I'm supposed to pass the Army Selection Test, I suppose this is how they keep their numbers up? If I fail to meet the perquisite my subsidy will be cancelled, and I'll be back on the streets once again—frankly I'd rather do everything in my power to avoid that.

For this past year, I've done what I can to catch up on any missing bits of information I might be able to access—naturally I have the knowledge of the series in my head—but better safe than sorry, although one thing interests me.

When it comes to the Moon Demon Company or any of the elite Vampire Extermination Unit's we already know how they select their trainees, but what about other divisions such the Military Police, I believe that's where Yuichiro served before he ended up joining the Moon Demon Company.

Today in particular is a very important day, the annual Army Selection Test is going to occur, I already submitted my application a few months ago and have been prepping myself as much as possible—mentally of course, I'm not naïve enough to think I can be like those prodigies who are already combat-ready before they even enter the army.

I'm already seventeen now—so this is my second last chance to make it into the army until my subsidies are cancelled, and I'd rather just get it over with, I debated applying earlier but I wanted to try enjoy some form of a social life before I ended up risking my life—which I totally wasted by the way. In my time here, I have not managed to make a single friend—not one, I swear it wasn't on purpose, I did try but for some reason I always end up avoiding people, I must be socially-challenged or something.

Looking on the bright side however—I suppose I wont miss a lot once I join the army—if I pass that is, the only information you are given before the test is that there is a written section, and then a practical one, I have no idea what the practical one might entail as I doubt they expect us to already know martial-arts or whatnot before we even join the army.

However the written test I can more or less guess the objective of it—I assume it's mainly to make sure people with the IQ of a goldfish don't end up making their way into the Army's ranks—kind of like a benchmark test. I believe after school there will be a one hour break until the educational staff, are replaced by instructors from the Army.

"Furuya—can you come up here and solve this?"

For some reason my teacher has a hobby of picking on me more frequently than the rest of my classmates—from my past life I was already a diligent student—not really because I wanted to be, but rather because I had nothing better to do, thus I went with studying, I felt it was fairly productive.

The question was quite simple—it was a basic polynomial equation, reluctantly getting out of my seat I made my way up to the board and picked up the chalk—speaking of which shouldn't it be 2016 already? Why are we still using chalk—I'd have expected us to start using whiteboards and markers at the very least.

"Good job, you may take your seat"

I gingerly made my way back to my desk—and slumped down, today in particular I have been putting minimal effort into every lesson, I'm trying to conserve as much energy as possible in order to maximize my chances of passing the Selection Test—I wish for my brain to be working at maximum capacity.

Ding Dong!

The bell finally rung, we were in last-period which would mean it was time for me to undergo the Selection Test, as expected literally everybody in my class expect me stayed behind—and could you blame them? Most of these people already had well-off backgrounds to provide for them—why risk their lives in the army?

You might be thinking it's quite odd that so many people are this well-off, but in reality I'm the weird one here, Shibuya is essentially the new-capital of Japan, naturally this meant that here was where the money was at, I strolled through the hallways gazing into the classrooms as I left—there were at most 3-4 people who stayed behind from other classes.

I assume they're either in the same situation as me—or have been brainwashed by the mass propaganda those Army Recruiters spread, "Fighting for a cause" and all that nonsense—anyone with a brain knows that the Hiragi families prioritize their pockets, bloodline and their ambitions. Classic noble shenanigans if you get my drift.

I went to one of the windows where I could get a good look at the front entrance of the school—I saw a hoard of educational staff leave, and a swarm of ominous figures wearing long-sleeved double breasted black coats—with two rows of gold buttons on the front and light green details on the shoulder epaulettes. They had either one or two Sam Browne belts which passed diagonally over each shoulder.

Each of them wore white parade gloves—giving them an almost noble aura, they also donned white webbed belts with a gold-waist plate—although not all of them, I could see some had black capes with similar green highlights as their jackets, not to mention the kepi-style caps they wore shadowing their face—it was slightly creepy if you asked me.

My attention was absorbed by the sound of a microphone clearing in the PA-System. "Can all applicants for the Japanese Imperial Demon Army Selection Test gather at the courtyard within ten minutes—you are required to submit identification and will be permitted your one-hour break afterwards"

I suppose that's my que—I did a quick check through my pockets making sure I had my ID with me, confirming it was there I made my way down the staircase towards the courtyard.

As I exited the school's main doorway, the turnout was rather surprising—there were merely fifty applicants, considering our school has probably more than six-hundred students it was rather disappointing—although I'm not part of the top-brass in the Army, why should I care?

I approached one of the desks that were laid out on the courtyard, standing infront of me was a middle-aged woman with large dark circlers under her eyes—desk jobs must be tough.

"Identification" her voice was monotone and fatigued—not sure if that's the way to make a good first impression on your future recruits—but I can't really make a decision on whether I want to join or not, not if I want to eat that is.

"Your ID has been confirmed, you will hear another announcement when the selections begin" I gave the woman a slight nod and decided to stroll through the school grounds once more—although, not before my eyes rested upon a surprising figure.

I noticed a tall young man, with medium length black hair similar to an overgrown wavy mullet and slightly overgrown messy bangs parted in the middle and complementary violet purple eyes. No homo—but I have to admit, the guys got looks. He was of course, Guren Ichinose.

Somehow he seemed to have noticed my gaze looking at me with a confused expression—out of panic I turned away and scurried off back into the school building, at least from reading the manga I know how scary he could be—and I'd rather not draw suspicion from someone like him.

I was on one of the upper floors of the building—specifically where the third-year classrooms were when I could hear what seemed to be the sound of shouting from the roof, I had no idea what was going on, but my curiosity got the better of me, thus I decided to make my way upstairs.

5