Chapter 19: Stories
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cindy, Kai, and Aria found themselves at 'Jasper's Tea shop,' a spot in Downtown Baldimore that served a variety of different herbal teas. The shop had a vibrant atmosphere about, featuring illusive and abstract paintings, colorful floors and walls, and a unique array of scents fuming throughout. It was a small and quiet shop; a bit of an inconspicuous spot in Baldimore. Aria loved to go there often to try out the different flavors of teas. She came to think the teas had an almost spiritual effect, due to their calming natures.

The three ordered their teas and had a seat by the window side, becoming enthused by the calming Arabic tunes in the background. Cindy ordered the Jasper mint tea, said to offer a sense of tranquility and calmness. Meanwhile, Kai ordered the Jasper inferno, claiming to light an inspiration inside of one's soul. Aria stuck to her usual choice, the jasper classic, which had an 'awakening' effect, according to her.

The trio happily drank their teas, while enjoying the views of a sunny day in Downtown Baldimore, making conversation and learning more about one another. Cindy and Kai had quickly felt a bond towards Aria, anticipating her next lessons and eager to learn more about aura, as well as Aria herself.

"Damn, this tea's amazing! What's in this stuff?" Kai asked.

"Oh, just a blend of different herbs, spices, and whatnot. I'm glad you're enjoying it, haha," Aria said.

"Yeah, it's amazing, Aria! I feel so calm and relaxed...This stuff isn't drugged, is it?" Cindy asked.

"Ahaha, I can ensure you there are no drugs in the tea, Cindy. The chaps here just know how to make wonderful tea!"

"You can say that again!" Kai said. "I'm gonna go get another one! You guys want anything else?"

"Oh, I'll have one too!" Cindy said.

Kai went to grab more drinks, then quickly returned to the window-side table.

"So, Director Aria, what's like, your story?" Cindy asked.

"My story?" Aria said.

"Yeah, like how you ended up with Amy, Ben, and your father. Amy said you were all taken in by him, right? What were you doing before you joined them?"

"Ehm, that's something I'd rather not talk about," Aria said.

"Aw, come on, please! Amy and Kai dodged my same question, I'm not letting you do it too!" Cindy yelled.

"Yeah, please tell us!" Kai said.

"Kai...you...never mind. Please tell us, Aria. We want to know all about our great teacher's life!"

"F-fine, I'll give you an abridged little story, I suppose," Aria said. "My home country of Ghany didn't offer the best quality of life for my family, so my parents decided to move to America after they'd saved up enough currency. This country didn't bring them much luck either... It didn't take long for us to find ourselves in even more danger here. We were captured by a trafficking ring. We were poor and foreigners, so the likelihood of someone actually giving a damn was low," she said, gripping her cup tightly. We were tortured relentlessly for days, used for the rich elves' and other folks' amusement. My parents.... they were killed eventually. They kept me alive and were going to sell me off, since I was still young. Luckily, father caught wind of the whole thing and raided the place where we were being held captive. He saved my life and took me in... I owe that man my life, so... if I feel that anyone or anything threatens him or my siblings, I'll kill them where they stand," she said with a ghoulish tone. Her tea started to spill from its cup, due to gripping it so hard.

Note to self, don't ask about any of these guys' past!

"Wow... that's... I'm sorry," Cindy said. "Do you... have a grudge against them; the elves?

"Oh, not at all, my dear. Did you forget Amy was an elf? I have no ambitions about destroying an entire race, just because I was done wrong by some of them. The crooked ones, the people in power, are the only ones I aim to eliminate... It still boggles my mind why father would agree to work with that woman."

"You mean Warden Elanor?" Kai asked.

"Exactly," Aria said, her eyes intensying.

"I-I still don't get what's so bad about her, to be honest," Cindy said. "I mean, she's done a lot for the region, right?"

"Oh yes, the witch has built quite a name for herself," Aria said in an angered voice. "She's climb so high up the ladder, winning the favor and love of the common folk. She's built hospitals, restaurants, charity funds, and much more. She even turned our little mob into model citizens, and we were deemed heroes of the city, after running the mafia for the longest time. An absolute joke, I tell you. We're all still a bunch of thugs at heart, and I'm sure lady Elanor knows that. Now that the city's all cleaned up, she'll soon dispose of us and move on to her next big idea; all while maintaining her perfect image in the eyes of the people."

"H-how do you know she'll get rid of us? You can't know that for sure," Kai said.

"Oh, it'll come in due time, my dear. Father doesn't see it, though. Sometimes, I think he's still in love with that woman...." Aria said.

"Huh? Y-your father and Warden Elanor were dating?!" Cindy and Kai exclaimed, spilling tea from their mouths.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I've said too much. But yes, they were even married for a while. So, I guess she was my stepmother of sorts, whatever that's worth."

"Holy shit. That's... cool? Kai said confused.

"Indeed... Well, look at me, bringing the mood down again. I do apologize for that," Aria said, quickly returning to her chipper attitude. "But, enough of my ramblings. I want to hear your stories as well!" she said with a smile.

The three continued to talk and trade tales about their lives before joining The Fam. Cindy explained her long journey of being orphaned, her life of crime, and how she joined their ranks.

"Oh my, what a journey you've been on, dear Cindy. You've come a long way, yourself!" Aria said. "And Kai, how could you pull a gun out on this angel? It seems that must be water under the bridge though, seeing how close you two are now," she said, holding Cindy's shoulders.

"Yeah, what a funny memory, haha! Cindy and I are like, super tight now, right Cindy, right?!" Kai asked, frantically.

"Yes, Kai, we're cool," Cindy said, giving a mean glare towards Kai.

"That look says otherwise, but I'm just gonna ignore it!" Kai said, turning his head. "Well, this has been a blast, learning about you guys and stuff! We should get back to training soon, right?" he said, standing up from his seat in a hurry.

"Heehee, why are you in such a rush? There's plenty of time for that later. Come now, tell us your story, my dear!" Aria said.

"Yeah, you still owe me your story too! You dodged me last time, saying you'd tell me over drinks. Well, we're drinking tea now, so fess up, pal!" Cindy said.

"I meant alcoholic drinks, Cindy!" Kai said, gritting his teeth. "Whatever... fine, I'll talk.

"Yay!" the two women said, gleefully.

"Sooo, I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but... I grew up in a mob family too," Kai said. It was a pretty cozy life for me, being spoiled by my old man's blood money or whatever. I always put on a tough face, acting stronger than I actually was. Hell, I thought I was invincible. No one could ever touch me. After all, my dad damn near ran this city for a while. That is, until you guys came along and wiped out his gang."

"Kai... are you serious?" Cindy asked, her eyes widening.

"Yup, serious as can be. Apparently, your father and mine were pretty tight back in the day, Director Aria. So, after the old man's gang fell apart and he went into hiding, he asked your dad to look over me, and let me join The Fam; a last request to an old friend. Your father agreed to it, but I wasn't having it. Figured I'd try and run the streets myself. That didn't go too well either. A few months ago, Director Ben reached out to me when I was struggling. He offered to let me join again, to make good on the promise our dad's agreed upon. I accepted this time, not knowing where else to turn. I don't know where the hell my old man is now, but... I hope he's doing well," Kai explained.

"Kai... what was your father's name?" Aria asked, her eyes intensifying as she looked directly at Kai.

"Jin...Jin Lee," Kai said.

"Better known as 'The Don' in his prime, if I remember correctly. Yes, father and us made quick work of that mob. I wasn't aware we left anyone alive...," Aria said.

"Oh, I see... Director Ben never told you about me?" Kai asked nervously, a slight sweat building up on his head.

"Funny, he never brought it up. I wonder why... My family keeping secrets from me is quite unusual," Aria said, standing up from her seat, her eyes exhibiting an almost primal look. "You know, it is quite disappointing... how father and my family just keep letting threats lay in our midst."

"Director Aria, what do you mean? Kai's no threat! He's our frien-,"

"Are you in on this too, sweet little Cindy?" Aria asked, cutting off the half-elf. "Pretending to be some ditzy, innocent half-elf, huh? Come to think, you're probably just one of Elanor's lackeys, am I right?" she yelled.

"What? No! Aria... you're scaring me. Why are you acting like this all of a sudden? We were just having so much fun...," Cindy said.

"Yeah, what the hell! Do you think I'm out for revenge or some shit? I'm just trying to live my life here, lady!" Kai exclaimed.

Silence crept up on the three assassins, after Aria's accusations. Kai and Cindy sat nervously in their chairs, while Aria just stood there for a moment, almost frozen stiff. Her face was slowly reddening as her eyes remained sharp as a laser. She finally began to speak after a few more minutes had passed.

"Cindy, Kai, I do apologize. You were such... lovely students," Aria said, calmly.

"T-thanks," Cindy said.

Were?

"That's why, it is such a shame that I'll have to relieve you of your duties as assasins."

"Huh, the fuck are you talking about!?" Kai yelled. "Who the hell gave you that authority? Director Ben and Amy let me in, so shouldn't they have a say in that??"

"I'm a Director as well, and I can't trust you two, unfortunately," Aria said, giving the duo a grizzly, cold stare. "Kai, with your background, it's no wonder my family never told me. They knew that I'd never approve. And Cindy, vouching for Kai so easily... I can't trust you either."

"Um...Uh...Wha? What's happening?" Cindy asked.

"Since I quite liked you blokes, I'll give you two a twenty minute head start. Flee from this city as fast as possible, and you may just have a slight chance of living," Aria said. "If you somehow make it out alive, please be sure to never return."

"D-director Aria, please calm down! Let's go to Amy and Ben and talk this out!" Cindy pleaded.

"Oh, I am perfectly calm, dear," Aria said, her gaze unwavering. "Nineteen minutes."

"Ok, this is a load of shit! We don't have to take this from yo-,"

Before Kai could finish his sentence, he felt a slight sensation on his left cheek. Soon after, a small amount of blood started to pour from the side of his face. In an instant, he noticed Aria's sword was unsheathed, resting in her left hand.

"H-how did she... I didn't even see anything," Cindy said quietly.

"Eighteen minutes... Run," Aria said.

1