Chapter 287 – Onee-chan… Where’s North Korea?
856 8 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*TAP* *TAP* *TAP* *TAP*

"You've been staring at your phone for quite a while." Yumi said as she slowly hugged Akagi from behind. "Are you worried about the mission?"

"No. To be honest, what's about to happen here is of little concern to me." Akagi said as she continued looking over photos and other documents. “Besides, I know that you and the others can handle things.”

Yumi slid around so that she could see what Akagi was looking at on her phone, noting that it was a collection of documents that detailed what was within Naomi's family collection. "That vault was quite something, and you were like a kid in a candy store as you zipped around it." She giggled.

"It's the single largest collection of Earth's magical relics and documents that we've come across." Akagi slid her phone into her pocket as she threw an arm around Yumi. "I won't deny that it was cool, but I was hoping that it would have something more..." She paused. Akagi and the others were hoping that the Tokugawa vault would have additional information on what happened to Shima and Taichi. However, after examining everything including documents that went into details about clan activity and special techniques, they only answer they could come up with brought little satisfaction. The Demon was able to figure out that they were most likely brainwashed via a special family technique, but there was nothing about the why or how to undo it.

{Does it even matter what happened or why? Even if both of them... Even if they were brainwashed by the family... That doesn't mean I can forget everything... Kana still thinks reconciliation is possible... But... I can't... My hatred for them runs deep... and at this point...} (Akagi)

"It's just as much a part of me as being a Demon Lord is." Akagi's words were practically a whisper, and even Yumi didn't catch them.

"Are you ok?" Yumi asked as she hugged her again. "You seem tense."

"I just want to get things over with here so that we can move on to the real threat." Akagi moved Yumi away as she looked out of the massive window and down onto the glowing and busy streets of Seoul. "It's truly a beautiful city." She said as the neon lights reflected in her eyes. "Perhaps we should come here for a little vacation? I've heard there are all kinds of nice places to eat." She recalled some stories of good Korean food.

"Chloe's team sure seems to think so." Yumi giggled as she stood beside her. "Though I think Kimichi might be a bit too much for the beastkin's noses." Many were turned off by it and a few even hissed at the pungent smell.

"Yeah... The first time I hated it, I nearly heaved when I smelled it." Akagi laughed. "The time is almost here... Just a bit longer..."

"Who'd've thought a Demon Lord would be the one to solve a century-old conflict?" Yumi chuckled.

"What can I say?" Akagi rubbed her on the head. "Rosewood knew just how to push my buttons." Her lips twisted into a wily smile. After tonight's events, the world would be a little different, all thanks to one Demon Lord's inability to turn down a challenge.

_____________________________________________________________________________

<Kana POV>

"Last night, at approximately 1 am Korean Time, the combined forces of South Korea, the United States, and the People's Republic of China crossed into North Korea from the DMZ and along the Yalu River." The Reporter Kirika was on the ground in Seoul, courtesy of Akagi, and was reporting on the joint operation between a coalition of nations, which resulted in the complete collapse of the North Korean regime. "Preliminary reports say that North Korean soldiers either surrendered in mass or were found sleeping at their posts. Some are speculating that magic was involved, but so far, all three nations are denying the use of such methods." She continued. "An emergency session of the United Nations has been called, but shockingly the Russian Ambassador has applauded the joint operation and called for the South Korean government to swiftly take control over the rest of the Korean peninsula. Inside sources claim that the Russian President held secret talks with the other allied powers, but as of yet, we cannot confirm what if any involvement the Russian Federation had. Though with its direct border with North Korea and close relationship with China, it is unlikely that they were unaware of the impending invasion. South Korean President Lee Jong-Joon will be hosting a press conference momentarily, so hopefully we will get more answers. Back to you Narumon."

The program then switched to another reporter who spoke with a small panel about events.

"Onee-chan!" Kana called out for her sister, who appeared next to her.

"You rang?" Akagi said.

"What did you do to North Korea?" Kana squinted, glaring at the sister that she knew just overthrew a government.

"Whatever could you mean?" Akagi feigned ignorance, but Kana wasn't going to buy her lies.

"You know what you did." Kana pointed at her accusingly. "I suppose this is for the better. But you took a serious risk by acting like this! What if they shot off Nukes?!?" The North Koreans had a large stockpile of nuclear weapons, and their constant tests in the Sea of Japan showed that they could and would use them if needed.

"It's not like they could've anyway." Akagi shrugged. "My people infiltrated the country, found all the launch sites, and then disabled everything and anything that could be used in such a manner. Heck, Chloe's team was so efficient that she even managed to shut down their conventional forces as well. Though that was actually pretty easy due to most of them being little more than conscripted and starving peasants." She gave a tee-hee-pero.

{DON'T JUST TEE-HEE-PERO AWAY AN ENTIRE COUNTRY! EVEN IF IT'S CUTE AS HELL!} (Kana)

"I know those ninjas have all kinds of magic, but can they really disarm and paralyze an entire nation?!?" Kana knew they were versatile, but was surprised to learn they could do something so large and complex.

"You have our resident red-haired kitty to thank for that." Akagi laughed as she flopped into a seat. "She and Hikari put together a plan in conjunction with five eyes intel and used both Chinese and South Korean spies to take out the entire system in rapid succession."

"Eh?" Kana squeaked in surprised. "But! But Chloe! She's..."

"Not stupid, Kana." Akagi rolled her eyes as she kicked her feet onto the living room table. "As much of a goofy dope as she is, that cat has a knack for things like this." She pulled her Kiseru out of inventory and lit it. "Remember, Chloe is my student." She chuckled as she took a hit.

"Did... Did she really do that all on her own?" Kana was still surprised.

"She had her team, and Hikari is an excellent little ninja, but yeah. I had no real part in this, and Yumi was basically just around for advice and to keep things moving in a timely fashion." Akagi nodded, letting out a puff. "Think of this as the kitty's first real test. I needed to see just how well she could handle something this complex, and she went and exceeded my expectations." She smiled, proud of her student.

{Extra ear scratches are in order!} (Akagi)

"Huh..." Kana knew that Chloe was a skilled ninja but didn't expect her to be able to do something so complex. "You did mention that she used to run things in FWO, but I just assumed that her limits were somewhere along the lines of ambushing soldiers."

"If that's all you think my clan can do..." Akagi let out another puff. "Then you've much to learn, Kana." She smirked. "Thanks to Imp and Imperial, I've outfitted them with some very nice gear. Combine that with a few bits of modern technology, and you've got one hell of a powerful Special Forces team."

"I guess that means that Chloe and the others are the Tip of the Spear." Kana lightly chuckled.

"Chloe actually met some of those Delta Force guys during the planning, and it was quite funny to watch so many grown men get thrown around like rag dolls." Akagi laughed.

"Well, she has magic, so..." Kana figured that was an unfair fight.

"Even without it, she still kicked their ass." Akagi corrected her. "Beastkin are naturally stronger than humans, but the Ondai clan are absolute masters of CQC, and as a dedicated clan of assassins they were trained to use their body as a weapon if it came down to it."

"Yeah... Chloe still kicks my ass during training." Kana gave a wry smile. She was still practicing with the ninja, but, so far, she was nowhere near strong enough to give Chloe anything close to a challenge.

"Part of the problem is that you're holding back." Akagi said, holding her Kiseru off to the side.

"I'm not?" Kana tilted her head, confused by her sister's words. "I've always been giving it my all during our sparring matches."

{I don't hold back, ever.} (Kana)

"I mean that you're pulling a Hishya and allowing your own mind to keep you down." Akagi tapped the side of her head. "I can see it during our sparring matches. You're subconsciously rejecting your power, the same way Hishya did."

"Am I?" Kana thought for a moment. "I'm not really sure how to tell... I won't lie that gaining magic power is a lot, especially with how I got it. But..." She wasn't sure if she was having the same problem as Hishya.

"You know how I can tell?" Akagi's eyes locked with her sister's. "Because you still have one blue eye during training."

"I thought that was just an indicator!" Kana figured it meant little beyond just showing her use of magic.

"Yeah, it indicates that you're using your power." Akagi continued. "And the fact that one of your eyes is staying the same tells me that you're not accessing all of your power. Not to mention that I can detect just how much you have, Kana, and it's a whole lot more than what you've been using." She estimated that her dormant power was substantial, though the exact amount was undetermined as of now.

{I... I have more power?} (Kana)

"I would advise breaking down those mental blocks and getting to grips with your full power." Akagi slowly stood up, not taking her eyes off her sister. "Better to do so now, rather than regret not having it when you need it most." She vanished in a black puff, leaving Kana alone with her thoughts.

"This power..." Kana pulled out a small hand mirror and held it up to her face. "Am I afraid of it? Of what it might do to me?" She allowed her power to flow through her body, her right eye changing color.

{Or am I afraid of throwing that last bit of normalcy away... Unlike Onee-chan... I don't want to stop being human...} (Kana)

Please check out the discord for teasers for the upcoming chapters and general fun. You can get there here.

Volume 1's ebook and hardcover are out! If you want either, you can get them here!

Next Chapter: Chapter 288 - The Great Snuggle Protest.

34