Chapter 14: The Claw of Lamentation
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Of golden eye

And a certain mind

The Bright Lord begins his chase…

A familiar foe

Leads him to find

Both Life and Death born from haste…

 

With a tender strength, Delphius carries Maelaezel to her chamber. Nestled amidst the opulent comfort of her bed, the cracks etched upon her countenance gently fade, evoking a sigh of relief from Delphius. Content with her gradual recovery, he slips out into the dimly illuminated corridor, closing the door behind him with a measured touch. As he retraces his steps toward his own quarters, a faint rustling sound emanates from the castle's depths, catching his attention. Guided by his keen instincts, he hurriedly sets off in pursuit of the enigmatic noise.

 

Silent as a whisper, Delphius approaches the library, scanning its splendor before his eyes land upon their mark. Amidst the towering shelves, a figure emerges, their seven tails swaying with a captivating rhythm as the Kytsune bounds from one shelf to another, driven by a frenzied, but purposeful search. A torrent of rage surges through Delphius as he confronts the transgressor.

 

"Tomi, you spineless bastard! You left me for dead down there!"

 

Tomi glances down, an air of nonchalance gracing his features. "Oh, come now, Delphius. We both knew you possessed the strength to conquer Kandendra's legend. Besides, it has been four years since that fateful encounter. It's high time you let go."

 

With a dismissive turn, Tomi returns his attention to his hunt.

 

"You should know better, Kytsune. Skulking in these halls is an invitation to your own demise," Delphius warns, his knuckles cracking in anticipation.

 

Tomi smirks, finally locating his coveted prize among the ancient tomes. With a mischievous glimmer in his eyes, he retorts, "Well, my friend," leaping down from the bookcase onto the floor above Delphius, "You'll have to catch me first."

 

Before Tomi's sentence can fully escape his lips, Delphius materializes behind the trickster, clutching a tuft of Tomi's tails within his firm grasp.

 

"Well, well, well, look at you, Delphius. Surprisingly nimble despite your…stature," Tomi remarks with a blend of regard and trepidation.

 

"Izagi," the Kytsune utters in a monotonous tone, and in an instant, his tails retract, setting him free from Delphius's grip. Liberty at his back, Tomi swiftly descends to the lower floor of the library, touching down with the grace of a nesting Avialis. Closing his eyes, he brings two fingers to his nose and whispers under his breath.

 

"Jimmu."

 

A solitary tail sprouts from behind him, swaying with an iridescent hue of brilliant blue within his silhouette.

 

"What... What exactly are you?" Delphius questions.

 

With a flick of his tail, Tomi opens a shimmering portal, its core pulsating with potent magic.

 

"For both our sakes, let us hope you never uncover the truth," he taunts, a mischievous grin adorning his face as he steps backward through the portal.

 

With unwavering resolve, Delphius refuses to let his elusive quarry slip through his grasp. He lunges forward, diving into the closing portal only to find himself plunging into a disorienting free fall above the shimmering streets of Eltias. Time seems to stretch as he descends through the night sky, the cool breeze caressing his face. And with a thunderous impact, he lands on a neighboring rooftop, disturbing the peace and setting off a chorus of barking from the vigilant hounds. Rising to his feet with lightning speed, he locks eyes with Tomi, who stands there five tails swaying behind him.

 

“What took you so long?” the charlatan smirks.

 

A surge of determination surges through Delphius's veins as he gives chase, each stride carrying him with formidable power across the rooftops of Eltias. Their feet dance upon the tiles, raining down a cascade of slate and shale into the silent streets below. The night air whistles through their hair, carrying echoes of the relentless pursuit through the slumbering city.

 

In the shadows, the distance between Delphius and Tomi shrinks with each bound and leap. Moonlight flickers, casting their silhouettes against the inky sky as they race along the edge of peril. Seizing a sudden and calculated opportunity, Delphius pounces, tackling Tomi with unyielding force.

 

Their bodies collide against the unforgiving cobblestone of a nearby orphanage’s courtyard sending the sound of the impact resounding through the stillness of the night. They quickly disentangle, readying themselves for the imminent clash. The two titans maintain an imposing gaze for an iota before they engage. The air resonates with the fierce thud of fists striking flesh and the sharp hiss of slashing claws; a symphony of desperate struggle unfolding among the empty streets of Eltias.

 

Tomi, agile and cunning, guards himself with uncanny dexterity, evading Delphius's assault with finesse. Yet, his defense remains purely reactive, unable to mount a counteroffensive against the relentless onslaught.

 

Delphius's eyes blaze with fiery determination as he discerns a flaw in Tomi's defenses. Commanding fate itself, he strikes with a divine precision. The impact propels Tomi through the air, hurtling toward the front doors of the orphanage. With a deafening crash, he plows through the entrance, sprawling out in exhaustion before a young attendant. Her eyes widen in a mix of astonishment and fear as the enigmatic stranger rises from the ground.

 

"Quickly," Tomi urges, "get behind me." His words spill out in a rush of concern and authority. The young lady, wide-eyed and trembling, heeds his warning. Her lack of trust in Tomi is evident in the way her gaze remains fixed upon him as she seeks solace in his shadow.

 

A foreboding silence settles upon the courtyard of the orphanage, interrupted only by the distant echo of footsteps growing nearer. Delphius’s figure, cloaked in the black of night, stands just beyond the threshold of the doors. His presence exudes an aura of danger; a tempestuous energy that crackles in the air. With each passing moment, the atmosphere grows heavy in the suspense of imminent conflict.

 

The pale-skinned warrior breaches the threshold of the orphanage, each weighted step sending a tremor reverberating through the stone corridors. He rolls his neck, aiming a threatening cascade of bone-cracking pops and snaps at his opponent.

 

"I must say, Kytsune," Delphius begins. "I'm impressed you've managed to survive this long. Your power could prove invaluable for my future endeavors."

 

“An intriguing offer, Aethelblood.” Tomi responds with a sly grin on his lips before spitting a mixture of blood and defiance onto the ground. “However, my Mother forbids me from interfering with the triflings of those on the ground.”

 

Delphius’s eyes narrow as Tomi continues.

 

“Besides…I reckon you’ll be inundated with new companions far sooner than you realize…” Tomi portends.

 

Taking a determined step forward, Delphius's colossal speed carves a deep trench in the floor, closing the gap between them in an instant. Light fails to reach his face as he looks down upon the Kytsune, shrouded in ominous darkness.

 

"A pity..." Delphius mutters, his fist blitzing forward in a lethal uppercut. However, Tomi anticipates the attack, sidestepping it with a smirk, and causing Delphius's strike to land brutally within the chest of the unsuspecting caregiver. Rage and lamentation wash over Delphius as blood gushes forth, drenching his hand in a macabre display.

 

Tomi's laughter fills the air, a chilling cackle reflecting off of the blood-drenched floor.

 

“A pity indeed, my friend! Slaying a poor, innocent, orphan girl in cold blood?”

 

Shaking his head disapprovingly, Tomi clicks his teeth in disdain. "How tactless," he hisses, relishing in Delphius's predicament.

 

Fury courses through Delphius's veins as he turns to confront Tomi for his sadistic amusement. But the attendant's agonizing cries rip through his consciousness freezing him in place. Filled with an oath of vengeance, his gaze sits on Tomi; an eternity passes in an instant. An eerie clarity disperses the clouds of lamentation in the warrior’s mind as he turns to confront the consequences of his misguided strike.

 

With unwavering focus, Delphius’s hand envelops the caregiver’s heart, ensuring the flicker of life still beats within her. Inhaling deeply, he taps into the wellspring of his mana, recalling his mistress’s teachings. Glowing specks of light manifest in abundance, swirling around his entrenched wrist before permeating the girl's form. Torturous screams escape her lips as Delphius withdraws his hand, allowing her to slump to her knees. A web of cracks materializes along her fragile skin; her once-vibrant complexion draining of color as the radiant light seeps from her very essence. The toll of her exsanguination weighs heavily upon her, and with a final act of surrender, she collapses unconscious onto the unforgiving floor.

 

Tomi's voice slices through the suffocating silence, a twisted satisfaction underlying his echoing words as he observes Delphius's torment. "See, Delphius? I think you'll be just fine . . . "

 

Delphius whips around to silence Tomi’s chortles, but is met only with another portal and parchment lying just before it. He picks it up, muttering it aloud to himself.

 

"The Eltias Bi-annual Tournament of Champions," he declares.

 

"The strongest fighters from all over the world converge, ready to test their mettle in a grand display of strength, cunning, and camaraderie. Bear witness to the pinnacle of Chao's prowess. Nueamar 23rd."

 

He pauses for a moment in contemplation.

 

"That's in two weeks..."

 

Shattering his numb focus, a soft groan escapes the lips of the frail attendant on the ground. Delphius lets out a weary sigh as he bends down to lift her gently. He effortlessly hoists her onto his shoulder, taking a moment to check for any witnesses before stepping through the luminous portal.

 

Emerging into the courtyard of the resplendent marble castle, Delphius senses the piercing gaze of Maelaezel upon him from her elevated terrace. Her eyes study him intently, meticulously scrutinizing his blood-stained fist, its ethereal glow resonating with the power of Sethir, and the slender figure draped over his shoulder. Having completed her inspection, Maelaezel locks eyes with Delphius, her silent query demanding an explanation.

 

Delphius, his voice steady yet laced with trepidation, responds to the unspoken inquiry. "I believe it is high time we engage in a thorough discussion regarding the enhancement of our security measures, my Lady."

0