Chapter 1 – Prologue
1.1k 11 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just like how everyone adores heroes in their childhood, a certain boy adored those who hid in the shadows. One day, after living the mediocre life of a side character while undergoing frenzied training by night, he reincarnates in a different world and gains ultimate power. The young man who is only playing at being a secretive powerhouse, his misunderstanding subordinates, and a struggling, giant, shadowy organization…

This is the story of a boy who adored shadowy manipulations who might possibly reign over the dark side of another world.


This fanfiction story timeline will take place just after Shadow Garden and Cid saved his sister when she was kidnapped and two years before he goes to the capital.


So that's basically how we wiped out that bandit group and saved Nee-san. When we found Nee-san, she was unconscious, so we freed her restraints and then just left her there. The very next day, she showed up back at the house, in high spirits. That person is excessively resilient, so her hand injury had already mainly healed up after just one night. After that was a whole week of recovery or investigation or whatnot before she finally left for the royal capital. And for some reason, during that one week she kept fussing over me, it was quite annoying. I wonder if our parents gave us another sibling, she would stop bothering me. I could really use some meat shield-- Ahem, I mean help.

Alpha and the others were apparently busy investigating the bandit gang and cleaning up the leftovers. Ah right, sorry, they're not bandits, but the Order. Well, bandits by any other name are still bandits in the end.

But damn, that red-eyed ossan sure had talent. It was partly his credit that I was able to use a cool-sounding line like "Then I will dive. It matters not how deep." Too bad he died, otherwise I would have hired him as a supporting actor.

And my power in the shadows plays and ad-libbing were a must-see! It's a pity that there was no audience, but I only have to bear with it for 2 more years. Two years later, I will also be going to the royal capital. It's the royal capital, that capital! One of the few great metropolises of this world, the only city in this country with a population higher than a million.

I can bet that there would be both protagonist-like characters and last boss-like characters there. There would be an abundance of incidents, conspiracies, and intricacies that could never occur in a backwater place like here... and thus opportunities for me to make an appearance as a power in the shadows. Aahh, in that light, then the current me who is making do by only taking out mere bandits is but a frog in a well. My story so far was only the prologue.

As I continued to build up my strength in preparation for 2 years later, Alpha and the 6 others requested to meet with me together. Apparently, they want to 'report' on their 'investigation into the Order' and the results of their 'research into the Curse.' Lately, they've all gotten quite busy, so it's rare to see all 7 gathered together at the same time. There's no actual point to 'investigating' and 'researching,' so you guys should keep it to a moderate level, alright? is what I'm thinking as I listen to their 'reports.'

To sum it all up.

All of the heroes who fought Diabolos were female. That's why the Curse of Diabolos only manifests in females.

What a novel idea! But unfortunately, the general consensus is that they were all male. Ohhh, because Shadow Garden only has girls (except for me), so they're making that their pretext? Should I tell them to hire more males to even things out? But, the fact that the only male in Shadow Garden is actually the leader has a nice ring to it, so let's keep it like this.

Next, the largest percentage of those who manifest the Curse are elves, then beast people, and finally humans. This is related to the lifespans of the races. For example, humans have the shortest lifespans, so the blood of the heroes flows the thinnest in them, which makes it hard for the Curse to manifest. Elves, in contrast, have the longest lifespans, so it is the opposite for them. Then the beast people are in the middle of the spectrum.

Speaking of which, I am the only human in Shadow Garden, and I didn't even have demon possession. As for the 7 of them, 2 are beast people, and the remaining 5 are elves. All of them previously had demon possession. Wow you guys, good job thinking up a setting for even something like this.

Alpha and the girls also 'reported' a few other things to me, but it basically just went in one ear and out the other.

And with that, they moved on to 'reporting' about the Order. Supposedly the Order is an enormous organization that has grown roots all over the entire world. Nice, I like that you girls think large-scale.

The Order calls those suffering from demon possession (or the Curse, you can call it what you want) as 'Matches,' and prioritizes the capture and execution of such people. It became that in order to mount a resistance against the Order, members of Shadow Garden also have to scatter across the world, leaving only 1 person to stay with me on a rotation basis. The rest will focus on reaching out to and sheltering those suffering from demon possession and also continue digging into the Order or run interference where opportunities arise.

"Oh…"

Hearing that, I got it. They have realized that the Order of Diabolos does not actually exist. This is why they are trying to say that they can't play along with this farce any longer and that they want to be set free. That's what 'scatter across the world' means, right? But because I really did cure them of demon possession, so to repay that debt they'll take turns to accompany me, and for me to be content with that much. That is the message between the lines that they are hoping for me to read.

I found myself feeling a little sad. Even in my previous life, everybody adored heroes when they were children. And I adored powers in shadows in the same way. But eventually, everybody grew up, and before I knew it, they'd all forgotten about their heroes and left me all alone. These girls have also grown up, that's all there is to that.

Despite feeling a bit sentimental about it, I quickly agreed to let them go. In the first place, I didn't even plan to gather so many of them. It would be enough with just me and one assistant. I saw off the girls who all teared up at the parting, then swore to myself that I'll definitely become a power in the shadows, even if I become the only person left in the entire world.

One year later. When I was in the field and practicing my mob-martial arts like usual, the butler of our household appeared beside me. The always serious-looking old man was currently crying as he wiped his tears with a handkerchief.

"Young Master Cid! Congratulations! Your mother– The Madam was confirmed to be pregnant!"

"Finally! The meat shield is–"

"Young Master?"

"Nothing, where is my mother?"

Realizing that I said my thoughts out loud, I quickly shut my mouth and went to see my parents. At long last, I hope I won't have to deal with my sister alone anymore. This last year without her pestering was really refreshing. I could now focus on my role to be a power in the shadow even more.

"Cid?"

"Mother, I heard from the butler. Is it true?"

I looked at my mother who was sitting on the balcony with my father holding her hands in tears.

When she saw me, she chuckled and told me to come closer. I just nodded at her and walked toward them.

"?"

However, when I silently passed by Beta who was disguised as a maid. I noticed that her entire body was shaking. Just how happy was she to become like that? Is she so overjoyed that she can't even control her composure?

"Hmm?"

What is this? The more I closed the distance to my mother, the heavier the air becomes. There was a certain aura coming from my mother that I could not explain. When I finally reached her, the aura was so strong that it felt as if I was standing in front of an unimaginable mountain. So this is the reason why Beta was like that? The intangible tyrannical pressure was almost suffocating. And it was all coming from her slightly bulging stomach.

It seems my parents are unaffected. Are only those who reached a certain level of skill can feel it?

My mob instincts are tingling… They are telling me that my future younger sibling has the qualities to become a Main Character. More so than even my talented sister.

Good, very good.

My dear sibling… grow up quickly and shine. So I can be an eminence in the shadow.

After all. the more you shine, the bigger the shadows become.


After 2000 years have passed, The ruthless Demon lord has just been reincarnated! Having the capability to destroy humans, elementals, and gods, after a long period of countless wars and strife, Anos the Demon lord became sick and tired of all that and longed for a peaceful world, so he decided to reincarnate in the future.

However, what awaited him after his reincarnation is a world that–

Wait… where is this place? Is this a different universe?


The age of myth.

The destruction of countless human countries, reducing the spirit's forest to ash, and even killing the gods. This was the man feared as the Demon king.

The name was Anos Voldigod

"….So how about it?"

The Demon king Anos uttered these words whilst sitting on his throne with his arms crossed.

With just that alone a normal human being would be in fear from the power of his words, however, the people in front of him right now do not have that worry.

The severer of fate, the hero that was chosen by the holy sword Kanon.

The mother of all spirits, the grand spirit Reno.

And the creator of this world, the creation God Militeia.

Including Anos, they control this world's fate. Four people will be handed down these names in later times but now they gather in the hall of the Demon king's castle Deruzogedo.

"I understand the story. It's not a ridiculous condition either. But now, when we are trying to reconcile?" the hero Kanon said.

"That's right."

"Demon king Anos. How many people have you killed until now?"

Anos answered with a gaze now turned cold.

"Let me reverse that hero Kanon. How many Demons have you killed so far?" he returned to words of Kanon's back to him.

Who struck first? The Humans or the Demons?

There was no way to know.

No, it doesn't matter. Even knowing the answer would not make the past disappear.

The reason would no doubt be trivial.

Both sides killed and those who survived got revenge on those that were killed.

After that, the cycle just repeated.

Because they were killed they were avenged and then those that got revenge were killed for revenge.

Hatred accumulated endlessly for both races and the chain of tragedies accelerated to a pace that could not be stopped.

Both Humans and Demons are the same in that they hate things different from themselves.

"After all your brutality do you think you can say those words?"

"What would have happened without my cruelty? If you did not fear the Demon king Anos you human beings would have calmly slaughtered the Demons. It was a just cause. I do not remember even feeling one bit of guilt. I even praised the Humans I killed as heroes."

"That was because the Demons committed atrocious acts."

"And I say you Humans also did."

"Are you saying the Demons are faultless?"

"It means that in war there is neither good nor bad."

With a glint in his eye, the Demon king Anos glared at the hero.

"Kanon. You are a human. Don't you believe that the world will become peaceful if the Demon king Anos is defeated?"

"Yes, I do."

"No. You should actually understand it. Stop being a fool. In the place where the Demon king Anos was defeated a new fire will be born. Both Humans and Demons. If the other side is not exterminated the fighting will not end. No..."

Anos is just talking but he is also a being of immense magical power. Word by word each one had a compulsion like magic.

"Even if the Demons perish, human beings will just make a new enemy again. Next will be the spirits that are different from yourselves. If you eradicate the spirits next will be the gods that made you. And if you defeat the gods you will turn on each other."

"Certainly, people have weak parts to themselves, however, I want to believe in people. I want to trust in people's kindness."

"Hahahaha" and so Anos laughed.

The hero Kanon is a good person. He knows of humanity's ugliness but has the courage to believe in the goodness of people.

"Then, Kanon. How about trying to believe in the goodness of the Demon king Anos?"

Kanon does not answer immediately.

Is this offer true? Should he doubt it?

"As I said earlier. Divide the world into four. The world of humans, the demon world, the spirit world, and the world of the gods. Put up a wall between the worlds and don't open the doors for a thousand years."

If the bond disappears for a thousand years the grudges against each other will also disappear.

"I can change my life force into magical power if you three cooperate and I can activate the grand magic."

"So you die for peace? You who are called the Demon king."

"You and the others called me that without permission. I will not die. I will find a handy container and reincarnate. Though it will be two thousand years before I next wake up."

Kanon falls silent.

After a while he steeled himself.

"….All right.....I'll believe in you....."

Even though he had suggested it, the Demon king Anos could not hide his surprise.

He had explained it in good faith.

Humans, spirits, and gods were shown evidence without any demerit.

The remaining problem was emotion. Hatred stacked on top of hatred, constantly repeating.

That is why those words needed courage.

For the first time, the Demon king Anos understood why he is called a hero.

"Thank you."

Kanon laughs a little.

"I never thought I'd see a day when the Demon king thanked me."

"And I did not think a day would come when I could thank the hero."

The two of them locked gazes.

Their viewpoints are different but they acknowledged the power and strength in each other's hearts.

Now, at last, the long battle is about to be rewarded.

"Let's get started then."

The Demon king Anos stands slowly up from his throne and holds his hands in front of his eyes.

At that moment countless particles of black light began to rise from the castle.

Many magic letters appeared on the walls, floors, ceilings, etc. The words being drawn are cramped together.

The Demon king's castle is a huge magic circle that Anos had prepared.

"This body is the entrance for the magical power."

Anos steps forward and exposes his defenseless body.

First, the grand spirit Reno and then the creation god Militeia turned their palms towards him and loosed an extremely pure white wave. It was like looking at a star, it was dazzling. A bundle of infinite magic power.

No matter how much magic power was poured into his body, the Demon king Anos absorbed it all.

Finally, Kanon pulled out the holy sword.

"The preparations for the reincarnation?"

"Already done. You can do it."

The torrent of magic power was intense, crackling and scattering sparks everywhere. It was loud enough to rupture your ears.

It could not endure the use of the grand magic that was absorbing all the magical power of the world and the Demon king's castle began to collapse.

Kanon kicks the floor and thrusts the holy sword forward. Magic is fed into it and the blade becomes pure white before piercing through the heart of the Demon king Anos.

"Gofuu….."

Blood drips from Anos's chest.

His lips become wet and red.

With this, his ambition was finally fulfilled.

He was fed up.

The fighting, this barren world. He was tired.

"...Hero Kanon. Thank you once again. If you are also reborn in two thousand years...…."

"It will be as friends."

Demon king Anos laughed.

"Farewell."

His body disappeared with the light.


Two thousand years later.

A baby was born in a human house. The Kagenō family.

"Dear…..look at him. Our baby..."

Looking happy, Mrs. Kagenou was holding her baby.

Sitting at her side was her bald husband Mr. Kagenō.

Standing in front of them was their 15-year-old son Cid Kagenō.

"He's cute. He will become an excellent man."

Mr. Kagenō pokes the baby's cheek.

"Dear, have you thought about a name?"

"Aah. His name is—"

At that moment when Mr. Kagenō was about to speak. The baby suddenly talked with a deep voice like a grown-up man.

"The name is Anos. Anos Voldigoad."

Their mouths fall open and their eyes look like they are about to pop out.

Mr. Kagenō and Mrs. Kagenou have expressions of complete surprise. Even Cid was completely dumbfounded as he blurted out a "Huh?" with wide eyes.

"Fumu. Even though it has been two thousand years, it was only a moment for me."

The baby said that to himself in a deep adult voice before he turned his attention back to the surprised couple and their son.

"Aah, sorry. Is this the first time you've seen a baby who reincarnated? I was surprised. It seems that even in this age childbirth has not changed. My best regards."

"Ta..."

"Ta….."

"Ta…"

"Ta?"

The group yelled out together.

"He talkeeeeeeeeeed!!?"

Seeing their reactions, Anos has a blank look on his little face.

"Of course, a reincarnated baby can talk."

When he said that with a straight face, Mr. Kagenō and Mrs. Kagenou has extremely confused expressions on their faces while Cid said something in a low voice.

"I see. I see. So you'll take that route. That's cool bro. It's not like everyone has to stick to the mainstream isekai trope…"

Anos looked strangely at Cid for a moment, and then as if he realized something he suddenly floated into the air.

"It's hard to talk in this body. Should I grow up a little?"

A magic formation appears on Anos' baby body and then instantly he gets bigger and grew up to be about 6 years old. He even had neat clothes on him that typical aristocratic's children often wear.

"For the time being will such an age do?"

Anos places his feet on the floor.

"Na....o...…a….."

"E.....a....u...."

While he looks himself over and stamps his feet on the floor Mr. Kagenō and Mrs. Kagenou have expressions of extreme surprise again.

Again they scream out together.

"H.....he...….he grew biiiiiiiiiiiiiig!!"

"Of course, after reincarnating it would be natural to use this magic."

Once Anos said that casually as if what he just did was perfectly normal, he suddenly felt someone grabbing his shoulder. The grip was so strong that if he were just a human, his collarbone would have been crushed into dust. He turned around with a raised brow and looked up questioningly at Cid who had a lunatic smirk on his face.

"Fumu. You need something, 'big brother'?"

Cid's insanely giddy expression was like that of someone who had just found their long-forgotten kindred spirit.

"Forget about some boring Main Character... Tell me, my 'little brother'. Are you actually the Last Boss instead~?"

When Anos heard Cid saying that with a crazed look in his eyes. He just blinked bewildered and then tilted his head to the side.

"...what do you mean? …excuse my ignorance big brother. But I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this perhaps a new joke used by humans in this era…?"


Author notes:

And that's it for the prologue. I hope you like it.

This was an idea that I had had in mind for a while now.

Whether I will continue this story or not depends entirely on you guys.

So make sure to comment on this chapter and tell me your thoughts.

Otherwise, I will assume you don't like it and I will drop it.

38