Chapter 2 – The Royal Cliff
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Smelling the fresh grass beneath us, and listening to the birds chirping in the sky, filled me with a sense of relaxation long forgotten. Just walking through the enormous yet enclosed forest, with small peeks of light sneaking their way through the canopies cracks. Not a word is spoken as we traverse the ground of the forest. Passing the massive trees and fallen branches on the ground makes one feel so small in the world, like a speck of grain in a desert. Squeezing our way through the smaller areas of the forest ground, 

“I think I see some of the cliff now!” Rito exclaims as parts of the towering cliff appear in our eye-sight, imposing over the forest with a dark shadow. 

“We really have to go up that? Last time we just climbed down which was easy, but this is a bit much.” I say to Rito. We move closer to the foot of the cliff, to see any sort of path to make the journey up a bit manageable. Immediately we spot a small entrance, located atop some steep steps of dirt. We both slowly climb onto the smoldering dirt, making sure we don't ruin the steps. Finally entering through the small entry.

Slowly walking through the small cold corridor, feeling the dirt between my fingers, as I hold onto the wall. 

“Honestly, it feels like this tunnel is gonna collapse at any moment, can we please hurry out of here. I ask Rito.” He nods in agreement. As we approach the end of the tunnel, light floods through the opening. Getting closer to the end we can start to distinguish what is on the other side of the tunnel. I look to see that we finally reached the end, but we were just met with more path going upwards. 

“It looks very narrow, is this really our only option?” I ask. “I'm afraid it is, but I'm positive we can make it, we just have to hug the wall, and be on the lookout for any crumbling pieces of dirt.” Rito replies. I nod.

Clinging to the roots piercing through the dirt, we make our way upwards the cliff. We are finally given a breather, when we reach a small plateau on the pathway. Rito slings down to sit a bit. 

“How farther up do you think we need to climb? My arms, legs and back are killing me!” Rito whines. 

“I honestly don’t know, but some of the top is starting to show above us, it shouldn't be long before we reach the top.” I reply. 

“Well that’s reassuring.” Rito snarkly replies. He lifts himself up and dusts the crumbs of dirt off his armor. Let’s keep it going then. Rito exclaims. I walk forward and see a small gap in the path, a gap big enough to fall down, and long down enough to kill. 

“We just have one slight issue, there is a hole in the path, lucky it’s not that big of a gap, we can jump over with ease.” I say. 

“Still be careful. Also I’ll go after you, just to make sure it’s safe y’know.” Rito says jokingly. “Yeah yeah you're really funny, just be ready to jump down and save me if I don't make it right.” I say. 

“Yeah of course, but just jump already!” I take a step back, and get ready to jump over. I run ahead with full speed and as I could feel myself lifting away from the last step of dirt, I was in the air. I make myself ready to grab the ledge, and as I feel a part of the ledge on my right hand, fear strikes in my entire body.

I just manage to grab on with my hand, I hang there for a bit before I realize what is happening, Rito is yelling at me to pull up and I do. I get my left hand on the ledge as well, I pull myself up from certain death, hyperventilating. 

“Rito, it’s way farther than it looks, be careful!” I yell at Rito. I place myself farther from the ledge to give Rito room to land. 

“I’ll be here if you can’t make it!” I yell at Rito. He takes a step back, looks at me worryingly, he then closes his eyes and runs for it. He jumps over and lands just on the ledge, he is just about to tip over and fall down, I bolt over to him and I grab him by the arm and I pull him in. After I’ve made sure he is on steady ground, I let him sink down to the ground where we just sit still for a couple seconds. 

“That was honestly too close, mostly for you though, I really thought you weren’t gonna make it.” Rito says looking down at the ground. 

“I know, that was just way too close, I’m just glad both of us made it.” I say as we both just sit for a bit. Rito then suddenly lifts up in elation. 

“We can’t waste more time here, let’s get the move on!” Rito exclaims. I stand up and give Rito a slap on the back. 

“Let’s keep it going then.” I say.

Having just experienced near death, I do wonder how my dad felt back in the day, when he was a sigil knight, slaying cold blooded enemies down, and be the hero, he is my hero… But the ‘hero’ business is also what got my mom killed. I'll make sure to make her proud, even if she isn’t here. We look at the path ahead of us, and we realize the hardest part has passed, we were home free. As we reach the last step, we lift ourselves up the final piece of the cliff. The weights on our shoulders fly off, and we can finally take a deep breath of relief. We look towards the gigantic gate ahead of us, towering over the cliffs keeping the forest inclosed. “We only have to get through the gate, and cross the bridge, no biggie right?” Rito asks. I nod in response. I slowly start taking steps towards the gate, casting its shadow upon us. Stepping under the massive construction, we feel the fresh breeze of sea salt and birds squawking. We finally reached the Cardinal Crossing. Looking out into the green fresh grass, and the glistening azure water, filled me with a sense of relaxation long forgotten.

In the distance we could see the massive entrance in Sentinel, and the wide mountain range spreading across my eyesight, they all seem to be a sort of deep orange sandstone.The entrance itself was embedded into the middle of a mountain, considering how it looks, Sentinel is built inside of it. Looking up into the open blue sky, scattered with fluffy clouds, I see a piece of land floating in the sky, with a small castle at the top. 

“Hey Rito, isn’t that the Castle in the sky?” I ask. 

“It is. It’s rare that it isn’t covered in clouds” Rito replies.
“It’s actually where our heritage is from.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. What? You never opened a book before?” Rito teases.
“Ha, so funny, I must have just skipped the book on Vinds and Fischerans.” I smirk
“That’s very unlike you.” Rito pauses.

 “You nerd.” He says.
“Yeah yeah, well anyway, I wonder what it’s like up there.”
.“No idea, but how’d you think they keep it up, like there must be some sort of magic involved.” Rito asks.
“No clue, as you said I’ve never opened a book.” I give Rito a nudge. He smiles back at me.
“Hey, do you ever miss your dad?” Rito suddenly asks.

“Of course I do, and hey you don’t gotta call him my dad. If ya asked him how many sons he got, he would reply with two.” I reassure Rito.
“I can hope so.”

0