Chapter 5 – A truth finally found
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was scared the veil was going to reject us, and repel us away. But instead a blissful feeling came all over my body, as if being covered by cold mist. We enter into the small hall of the entrance, two sets of stairs lead up to a man standing at a desk. A pillar of wood was situated in the middle of the room. The people in front of us immediately move up the stairs to talk with the man at the desk, while me and Rito just stand in awe at the construction inside this hollow trunk. 

“How did they even manage to do this, it must have taken ages to build a place like this.” Rito says. 

“Yeah, it looks absolutely gorgeous.” I say. And as we are standing completely still, frozen in place. 

“Hey you two!” We hear from above the stairs. We both snap out of our trance. We look at the man at the desk. 

“So are you two here for anything, or are you just gonna look around?” The man says. We quickly bolt up the set of stairs to our right and walk to the desk. 

“Hello sir, we are here to uh.” I begin to fumble my words as I try to remember what we were here for. 

“We are here to see if we can become sigil knight trainees.” Rito quickly says. 

“Good, you seem to be lucky here, only two positions left in the newest batch of trainees, or as we call freshies, he.” The man at the desk said with a small grin. While me and Rito just give eachother awkward smiles, trying to pass off his bad joke.

 “Alright, I’ve written the necessary information down, you two can go upstairs, and as you are now trainees, you will have a room you can stay in. Frey will explain your schedule tomorrow.” The man says. 

“Thanks a lot, but uh I'm sorry to ask, why did you sign us in so quickly?” I ask, Rito gives me a little nudge in the side, he seems annoyed I asked. 

“Well you two have made a name for yourself, you took down an assassin all by yourself, that's impressive, most sigil knights can’t even compete against assassins. Well anyway, have a wonderful day.” The man says. We walk away from the desk and we travel up the next set of stairs carved into the tree. The hallways are as narrow as Sentinels, but somehow way more cozy and warm. Feeling the brown walls, I notice the small seamless shapes chiseled into the trunk. We take a turn when we reach the top of the stairs, there seems to be a small hole in one of the walls, I try to look into it and I see a gaian sitting in a small room, he seems to be sharpening a small piece of wood, not bothering anyone, I just look away, not wanting to disturb him. 

“Was something in there?” Rito asks. 

“No, just an empty room.” I say. We walk further through the narrow halls, when we start to hear chattering. 

“I think I hear people talking.” Rito says. 

“Yeah I can hear them too, well Rito, are you ready to become a sigil knight?”
I ask Rito. “No one is more ready than me.” Rito replies.

“SO! You two’s are ready to become sigil knights, huh?!” We suddenly hear from behind. From a man with a heavy accent, he had a gray beard covering most of his face. 

“Hello sir! Yes we are ready to become sigil knights!” Rito suddenly bursts out. 

“Hmm, I like your spirit kid, names Frey, or as the suckers call me, Knight Captain Frey, just call me Frey though. Captain Frey exclaims. 

“Thank you sir, by the way, do we have to be as shredded as you to be proper sigil knights.” Rito asks. 

“Well I'm currently not in the best shape, so I can see you two’s gotta prepare.” Captain Frey says while laughing.

 “Well you two seem to be tired from all the adventuring you have done, why don’t I show you y’alls room?” Captain Frey asks. 

“That would be great sir.” I reply. “Good, just follow me!” Captain Frey says as he begins walking at a brisk pace. 

“Well he seems energetic huh.” I say. 

“Yeah he is, I think it's pretty fun though.” Rito says with a slight smile. We walk through the hallways of the tree, as we pass the merchant and weaponsmiths located in different rooms scattered throughout. We reach a room with two bunk beds, with a small lantern hanging from above. “So this will be you two’s room, this is also where me and your dad bunked Judari, when we were sigil trainees.” Captain Frey says with a smile on his face. 

“Wait, you know my dad?” I ask Frey. “Of course, and he’s been tellin’ me all about you and Rito here, going out on adventure to become fit for the Order, but just cus I know ya dad don’t mean i won't be tough on ya kid, heh. Well sleep tight, you have a long day ahead of ya tomorrow!” Frey says as he walks out of our room. 

“Goodnight Captain!” Me and Rito yell as Frey is leaving. 

“Man, we are finally here. In the Sigil Headquarters, I’ve been looking forward to this day since… Well I’ve been looking forward to it.” Rito says while unpacking his backpack and pouch. 

“It’s been hard, but look where we are now, you were right Rito, it was worth it.” I say to Rito as I try to lay in my bed. 

“What did I tell ya. Well I’m pretty tired, so imma try go get some sleep, talk tomorrow Judari.” Rito says as he pulls his blanket over him. 

“Goodnight Rito.” I say as I lay in my bed. I hope you're doing good dad, I miss you. I think as I slowly start dozing off.

“Mhm, what, Dad, Mom?” I look around and I see a man dressed up in white fine robes, I'm laying on my bed in a small room with sandstone walls, a lit torch is glowing up the room with an orange hue. 

“Judari you're awake, you seemed to have dozed off during our little lesson huh bud?” The man in front of me said. “

Yes, I know Master Isaac, sorry.” I say. 

“It’s alright, you're still young. Oh I nearly forgot, your mother and father left for a mission, apparently a small raid has started in a village, nothing to worry about, they will be home soon.” Isaac says while straightening up his robes. 

“What kind of enemies do you think they are facing, they must be strong for my mom and dad to go after them.” I ask Isaac. 

“Well I have no clue who they could be fighting, but I wouldn’t worry about that right now, come now child, you still have to study up on your history.” Isaac says. 

“Fine, but I get to pick the book this time, Hm, what about a book on the different races and their cultures?” I ask Issac. 

“My my, we seem to have a little genius right here, well I would be glad to find you such a book.” Isaac replies. He reaches out his hand, I reach up to hold it as we walk out of my sleeping chamber. We walk through the cozy hallways of the sanctuary. He pulls down a lever situated on a protruding pillar on the wall. As the wooden barrier in front of us starts to raise. A flood of light from the fire braziers fills the dimly lit hallway with light. We enter the massive room. Red banners deck the sandstone walls, and pillars reach the roof. Isaac takes me through the massive hall, we pass a person looking into a book. 

“Ugh, I just don’t remember! What is the last ingredient for a health potion! I have the lava flowers, but what else!” The man yelled. 

“I think you need a scroom.” I tell the man. “Ah yes, Thank you Judari, I completely forgot, seems like you know your alchemy better than me huh?” The man says as he gives me a head rub. 

“Well you better be on your way with Isaac then, see you two later.” The man says as we walk further. Suddenly we hear a crash at the entrance. I hear people yell and scream, I let go of Isaacs hand as I hurry between the crowds of people. A little boy was under a man's arm, he had light blue skin, and round innocent eyes. And the man that was protecting the boy, was my dad. He was using his right arm to cover the little boy, and his other arm was, gone. I look in horror to see my dad near death, bathed in blood, with one of his arms completely ripped off. The little boy was just sitting in shock, shaking. My dad looks me in my eyes. 

“I’m sorry Judari… Your… Your mother didn’t make it…” He says. 

“Wha-what do you mean, she isn’t back yet? She just isn’t back yet right?” I ask my dad with tears rolling down my eyes. He just looks to the ground and collapses. The little fischeran boy was called Rito.

0