Chapter 8 – Chokehold and the Slum
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ALL RIGHT SOLDIERS!” Booms through the training room. Frey is standing on the spot he usually does, right at the window, on the small upstep. 

“TODAY ENDS YOUR TIME AS SIGIL TRAINEES, IT HAS BEEN WONDERFUL TRAINING WITH ALL OF YOU, FROM HERE ON OUT YOU WILL BE GIVEN A NUMBER TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF WITH, OTHERWISE, I WISH YOU ALL LUCK ON YOUR INDIVIDUAL JOURNEYS, TO MAKE OUR REALM A SAFER PLACE!” He takes a pause to stand up straight and take a breath. 

“LONG LIVE SOLAN!” As the words leave his mouth, everyone in the room including me and Rito burst out into a choir yelling the words spoken by Frey. 

“AND JUST BEFORE YOU ALL LEAVE, REMEMBER THE CODEX OF OUR ORDER.” Frey says as he closes his eyes, and takes his sword to the chest. 

“For one to kill, is to end our mission, never imbue your own justice on the befallen. True order will only be achieved as a group, and never as an individual, trust in your comrade, always.”

 We all chant in the hall, I don't necessarily agree with this codex, but rules are rules. He then yells again to go to the desk at the front of the Headquarters to get our number, and squad. Everyone stands in line to get down the elevator. It cranks and grunts with the gears, as me and Rito slowly watch the elevator descend up and down. 

“Isn’t it exciting, we are finally fully trained Sigil Knights!” Rito says to me. 

“Yeah it’s nice and all, but for like the whole year we have been here, we never went out, I thought I would at least get to see my dad, and now we are going to be sent on missions, I don’t know when I’ll see him next…” I say to Rito, as we slowly step into the elevator. It starts lowering down. The air from below us, seeps through the small gaps in the side. I look at the wall that is moving right in front of me, I stare and I stare. Just before I see the light reach my feet. 

“Hey, if you want, we could take a break from the Sigil stuff, and go visit your dad, he did kinda raise us both.” Rito says as the Elevator comes to a halt, I feel the weight of us landing on the ground. We walk out onto the green carpet. 

“Yeah, I guess he did.” I say as we walk through the now quiet hallways. I never really thought about it, but after my dad left the order, I practically gave up the adventure for me and Rito. I really want to make him proud, if anything, that is my main goal, to make my old man proud. 

“You know, even if we aren’t related, you really are like a brother to me.” I say to Rito as I give him a faint punch on his shoulder. 

“Heh, thanks Judari.”

We descend down the mazes of stairs and hallways, until we reach the reception, where a small crowd of people are standing.
“What do you MEAN! Why can’t I change my number!” I hear someone yelling, leaning over the small counter the receptionist sits behind. 

“I’m sorry sir, but the number you get, is the one you get. We simply don’t have time to change it, at all. I'm sorry that's final.” The receptionist says. 

“In the name of my father, I do not want to be number 6666, it reminds me of Altum, are you sick in your head?” I hear again, and this time I recognize the person who is talking, that spoiled brat Siegfred, I stomp over to the desk. 

“Hey you!” I burst out. “What do you- Oh its you, the Vind..” Siegfried sighs. 

“If you really don’t want that number, I can take it!” I say. “Siegfred looks at me with a puzzled expression. “Uhm sure.” He hazes. 

“Alright great. Then all i have to do is switch your numbers, let me see.. Oh wait sir, what is your full name?” The receptionist asks me. 

“My full name is Judari Onyx.” Siegfred looks at me with horror. “You- y- you're a part of the Onyx fam- family?” He says slowly stuttering through his sentence.” Well yeah, anything wrong with that?” I ask Siegfred. He looks away from me and takes his eyes to the floor. “Well anyway, Judari has number 6478, and Siegfred has number 6666. All I have to do is switch your numbers in the system.” The receptionist pauses. 

“Thank you for your time in training Siegfred Evendale.” The receptionist says with a slight nod. Siegfred grunts, and slings his sword behind his back, and walks out of the Headquarters. The crowd of people slowly disintegrates, and the murmur around us quiets down. 

“Thank you sir, that punk was causing me a lot of headache, anyway, here is your registration number, 6666. And for your fischeran friend here, his number is 6665, isn’t that funny huh? Well you two better be on your way, you are a part of squad five, they are currently lining up down at the docks, you two should hurry.” The receptionist says. Me and Rito go from relaxed, to life or death sprint, then we exit out of the veil, and realize, the elevator just came down, and has to come all the way back up, with a crowd of people, in line. 

“Ughhh, I wanna hurry!” I complain to Rito. 

“Sorry man, nothing to do but just wait in line.” Rito replies. 

“Can’t we just climb down, take a little shortcut?” I ask Rito with puppy eyes. 

“You want the squad leader down there, to see two of his newest recruits. climb down from the tree like ancient people?” He says with a deadpan tone. 

“I mean, he may see it as a sign of strength?” I say. 

“Mhm, how about instead, we wait for the elevator like normal people do?” Rito says as he turns his head towards the crowd. I comply and we wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. Until finally, we are the first in line. I look out into the forest, I see the massive overhanging branches, the small twigs turn from small to larger and larger as they web back to their trunks. With leaves sprouting from each on. Being so far away they all seem like a collective, but each one of those leaves, as their own story, a way they sprung into life. 

“Hey Judari, the elevator is up, let's get going and stop staring at trees.” Rito yells at me nearly on the elevator. I step onto the platform, as it begins lowering down. I see the trees grow more and more, the lower we get, I really do wonder how they became so truly enormous. I hear a thump as we hit the ground. I look to see who is managing the gears, and it's still Walter. He seems like the same robot he was a year ago. We walk past his small hut, while he operates the elevator. Behind his hut is the open ocean, and in the distance I see thin sticks sticking up from some sort of black spot covering a massive area out there. I take another look and I realize it isn’t sticks, but unbelievably tall trees, at least a hundred meters to the top of the canopies, which circle a piece of land covered in mist. It's weird how I never noticed that massive area. 

“Hey Rito, you see that area over there?” I say as I point towards the weird forest in the ocean. 

“Oh, that is the Sleeping Forest, it's said that two cities populate the area over there, a town called Flowerlight, a bunch of scientists and nerds live there and research the weird stuff going on over there, like example that big pool of black, something, they say it's like an endless pit of abyss.” Rito rambles on. 

“Oh, well that's cool, but you said there were two towns right?” I say as Rito sighs. 

“The other town.. Is called Witherweed, it's where the spawn of Altum have set camp, they have all these bridges and platforms hanging from over the void, I would love to never visit that place.” Rito says with a snarl. 

“Cool history lesson, when did you get into that kind of stuff, I honestly expected an ‘I don't, know either’ from you.

”I say to Rito. “Well I guess I spent a little longer in the library huh?” Rito says, he then looks towards a line of people, he then suddenly sprints towards them, I don’t know why he’s running, but no way i'm getting behind.I run after Rito as he speeds up, I then realize that the squad leader is giving out info to our team, so I quickly bolt over to the line. I make my way to Rito, as I hear our squad leader. His hair was a fiery red, and his skin was tanned, he is an Ashiin, a race that can only be described as warriors, most are perfectionist when it comes to their craft, or fighting styles, and of what i've read, the race is a sort of cousin to Haseldans, I don’t remember what came first, doesn’t matter though. 

“Alright you freshies! Today will be your first day in the real world as Sigil Knights, I am your squad leader! You will refer to me as Commander, but otherwise my name is Askeladd Vanaheim. In the following months We are assigned to patrol around half the Royal Woods and Oresfall. I will split everyone up into three major teams, one team will be patrolling around the Sigil Headquarters. Then another team will patrol Oresfall. The last team will be sent on missions the order requests.” Askeladd yells out, we all yell back 

“Yes, Commander!” But before we get split into groups. Askeladd begins talking again. “Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am certain no one warned you of the fatality rate of Sigil Knights.” He says clearly distraught. Whispers can be heard from the line. As people start shaking, and looking nearly in tears. 

“The percent of Sigils who survive to see retirement is 10%, and as you may know, Commanders like myself are far and inbetween. At this moment I have been a Sigil Commander for twelve years, and through all these years I have seen two people rise to this rank. So, the amount of people who become commanders is around 0.75%. I am sad to say, I do not expect much of you. There is a slim chance one of you may become a commander, and the rest of you…” Askeladd pauses. 

“No, I want you guys to have hope.” He ends speaking. Everyone is clearly in shock, and no one seemed to be ready for these news. Everyone looks to their side for comfort, but they are only met with sorrow, even with a whole year of hardening and training, this is something we never saw coming. I can't stop thinking about it, that small of a chance for survival. I look at Rito, He is looking fully straight, he doesn’t even seem faced by the news. 

“R-Rito, what are we gonna do?” I ask Rito. “Well, we move on, I'm ready for a fight.” He says with a cold tone, it's as if he doesn’t care. Just a year ago he was an emotional wreck, I don’t know if he has just distanced himself from… himself. But he isn’t who he used to be. “Alright freshies, go into a single file line, and I’ll sort you from there.” Askeladd yells out. We all go in a line, me and Rito are a little apart, in hope we get in the same group. Askeladd starts Pointing to where people go, group one, group two, group three, he says over and over, he then approaches me. 

“Group two, you’ll be taking the Oresfall post.” Askeladd says, as he walks past me, I slowly walk over to group two, but just before I see Askeladd talking to Rito 

“Group two, you’ll be taking the Oresfall post.” I sigh in relief, at least I won't be separated from Rito for another year, or more. Rito walks towards me with a nonchalant expression. He does get a slight up in his eyebrows when he sees me. 

“Hey we’re both in group two, nice.” He says walking towards me. 

“We just have to wait for Askeladd to be done with counting, then he’ll escort us to Oresfall and tell us what our mission is.” Rito explains. We wait for thirty more minutes before Askeladd is done sorting people into groups. He walks with bravado over to our group. Suddenly stopping up. 

Askeladd makes us go in line again, as we march through the forest, we pass loads of people on the way. I remember a Kasparan that was jumping around all giddy, as he was playing on a small wooden lute, while singing and playing us songs of bravery, though after a bit he scurried away. There was also a small group of sketchy people passing us, but they didn’t bother us, so neither did we. But now we were finally at the step of the mountain Oresfall was built into. The city itself is like a mine, and is located in the center mountain of the forest. From what I hear it’s more equivalent to a slum than a city, but the reason the city is even there in the first place, is because it's the only way into the Tundra. At the back of the city, a massive gate towers over the buildings, protecting them against the harsh climate in the Tundra. I read somewhere, monsters lurk around every corner. And the only way to make your way through, is either to be in a large group, or be an uber-powerful person. I look up, to see the massive mountain ahead of us. Even the trees in Royal Woods feel miniscule compared to it. 

“Here we are, the slums of Oresfall.” Askeladd pauses. He lifts his head up and takes a huge sniff.

“Aah, now that's a smell I don’t miss. Well anyway, follow my lead, and don’t fall for any scams, or get murdered in some dark alleyway.” Askeladd says with an uplifting tone, no one seems to buy it. We start going up the pathway carved into the mountain, but as we walk up, I notice me and Rito are right behind Askeladd. I walk up beside him. 

“So Askeladd, you mentioned that you didn’t miss the smell of Oresfall, right?” I ask Askeladd curiously. 

“Huh, oh yeah, it’s where I grew up, and where I met my…girlfriend.” He says with a somber tone. “Is something wrong?” I ask worriedly. 

“Oh don’t worry about me, I just got a bit sad remembering her, she was… Killed… a couple years ago, by an evil mage of some sorts, His name is Lannis Shallow.” He pauses. 

“Man, what I wouldn’t give to give that guy what he deserves, for my daughter, Therasa. You know, this is actually my last year as a Sigil Knight, after I think I’m gonna pick up farming, and teach Thea some fighting skills, so she can defend herself.” He says chuckling. 

“Sorry for talking so much, what's your name by the way?” Askeladd asks. “My name is Judari.” I say hastily. 

“Hm Judari, well what's your last name then.” He asks. 

“Onyx.” Askeladd’s expression goes from neutral to surprisement in a matter of seconds. “Onyx? Are you the son of Inari Onyx?” Askeladd asks with his eyes widened. 

“Yeah, that's my old man.” I say with a gleeful smile. “Your dad is a legend amongst the ranks, he taught me all I know about fighting, good to see his son picking up the mantle.” He says while giving me a nudge. 

He then looks ahead. 

“Soldiers! A slight step up is approaching, just make sure not to trip!” Askeladd yells out. We make a slight upstep on the path, and the sounds of a bustling town can be heard all the way from down here. We walk more and more up the winding path. I lool up to see we are only halfway up the mountain itself. But then we reach the huge opening into the city. Again I look up just before I gaze into the city. It looks like a huge wall was carved into the mountain right at the entrance of the city. Small ledges and walkways clutter the wall. They all seem very broken down, as if they haven’t been used for decades. I stop staring at the interesting architecture above and I look forward

A city of stone. All the buildings and apartments were out of stone. Beggars on rugs sit throughout the main walkway through the town, small torches on stone pedestals litter the place as well. Every door is more like a piece of cloth hanging in a door frame, and eyes stare from the small creeks in walls, some would call windows. There were stalls and tables set up throughout the main alley as well. But the most noticeable thing, was as soon as we came into the light in the city, It became quiet. People were quick back to talking again though, so we marched through. 

“Please sir, just two pieces of silver, my daughter is very sic-” A man begged us. “I’m sorry sir, at the moment I can’t help, later I will.” Askeladd quickly replies. The man resumes back to his table as he sits depressingly. 

“Ey Migi Veru, would you Sigil Knights like to try some meat?” I hear from inside one of the buildings with a stall built into it. I thought it was Dorgan for a second, but it was just another Kasparan, but red instead of green. Though he looks extremely familiar to Dorgan. A small castellan boy was also hiding under a table, I wonder from what. But behind the table, a man was standing, he had four distinct figurines standing atop his table. 

“So Askeladd, which one you picking this time?” The man behind the table says. This time Askeladd actually stops our march, to look at.. wood carvings. One was a sort of weirdly made person, another of a snail. Then to the side, another table with figures on it. With a tower, and a skull. Askeladd looked carefully at the figures. 

“Hm, I think I’ll pick the skull.'' he says with a gleeful smile. They both laugh, as we stand in boredom. My heart starts beating, what is this feeling of, pressure, something isn’t right, I need to get ou- Before I can even finish my own thought. The gate at the back wall, suddenly cranks open, revealing the Tundra in its purest form. The winds from inside fly in, and create an ear-piercing sound. Snow falls into Oresfall. But, slowly and surely, a pale man walks in, he seems to be a castellan, but with hollow eyes, his hair is thin and blond. And he is dressed in a black suit. As the booming sounds of Tundra blaze through the city. Everyone seems to get inside their houses, even before, when we came into Oresfall, people remained outside. But now even the beggars seemed to hide in the alleyways. The man slowly walks in, with his arms and hands crossed behind his back. Every footstep the man took, was like another beat in my heart. I could feel his very presence throughout my body, it was telling me to run, to hide. But I stood there frozen in place as the man slowly crept his way through the city. I look over to Askeladd. All I see is the pure rage in his eyes. 

“LANNIS!” He yells out, echoing through the city. 

“YOU PIECE OF SHIT!” Askeladd charges at this, Lannis. And just as he was about to swing his sword after the pale man, he stops, dead in his tracks. He then bows down. All of the other Sigil Knights just stare, most are hugging to the wall. But some like me and Rito were standing really close. I try to listen if Askeladd is saying anything. I hear nothing but the birds and winds. Then, Askeladd slowly rises, but I can hear he isn’t breathing. The sounds of horrific choking can suddenly be heard coming from Askeladd, as he is taken into the air. “Vermin.” Lannis says. As he catapults Askeladd into the wall, exploding him, and exposing his organs and bones to everyone in the area. His ribs piercing out of his skin, stretching it. The wall itself was covered in blood and gore, and was dented inwards.

0