Chapter 9 – A Letter
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You Sigil Knights are all the same. So driven by ‘order’, that you blind yourself to reality, how I pity you.” Lannis blurts out, his eyes don't even fay over to Askeladds exploded corpse. He simply stares forward out into the forest. 

“True power will never be obtained from a path of righteousness.” Lannis exclaims, as slowly turns, andwalks between our group, he looks at the little boy hiding under the table. We all quickly step aside in terror, hopeful we dont set him off. 

“Now now, don’t be scared boy, I just want to ask your name.” Lannis says calmly, unexpectedly the boy answers. 

“M-my name is Cain.” He says. 

“Ah, well Cain, why don’t you come with me, I have much to teach you.” Lannis says. The little boy, having no other option, agrees. Lannis puts his hand in front of the boy, he takes it. Lannis raises himself and the boy, and they walk out of Oresfall. Suddenly Lannis snaps his fingers. And they disappear into a white circle in the ground. All of the Sigil patrol panic, some quickly run back to Headquarters to inform the order. Most just stand in shock. I look at Rito, he again, doesn’t seem faced. The rest of the troupe agrees to retreat and go back to Headquarters. We march back in shame. and tell our commanders what happened. They all agree we did the right thing, and Askeladd simply acted out of emotion. We were told all of the Sigils that were assigned to Oresfall, could take two weeks off, to do anything. Later that night I go down to the docks outside of the Sigil Tree. I sit down in the misty grass, while my legs hang off the small ledge down to the waters. I look up and peer through the massive canopies, though in the small cracks here and there, stars shine through. I look up at the Sigil Tree and I see Rito and Kaladin traveling down the elevator. They quickly run pace over to me. 

“Hey Judari!” Kaladin yells. They get closer and sit down next to me. Kaladin to my left, and Rito to my Right. 

“So, I heard from Rito you two faced Lannis.” Kaladin says as he leans slightly back, putting his hands behind his head. 

“Yeah, he came through the Tundra gates at Oresfall.” I say slowly.

“How was it? I hear that Lannis is nearly a sort of god, at least with all the knowledge he has on magic.” 

“I was scared.” I reply. 

“Hm, welp if you got nuthin more to say, I guess I’ll leave you two to talk all you want, I don’t think I’ll get much out of you right now, see you two later!” Kaladin says as he lifts himself up from the ground, and goes back into Headquarters. 

“So Rito, what's been up with you lately?” I ask Rito, who is picking at grass. 

“What do you mean?” Rito replies. “You’ve just seemed, distant.” I say. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Rito says with a stoic expression. 

“You're doing it again.” I say to Rito as he sighs.

“I just, I just don’t want to be seen as weak.” He says with a sharp tone, then takes a pause. 

“There I said it, you happy?” Rito exclaims angrily. 

“I didn’t mean to upset you. I just wanted to know what was going on with you.” I say. 

“Well I didn’t think you would need to know.” He says staring into the open sea. I stare out as well. We sit for I don’t know how long.

“...Sorry..” Rito says as he puts his arms on his knees. 

“I know you just want to help me, but you gotta understand I can deal with my problems, myself.” Rito says.
“I know.”
“Alright.. I’ll be fully honest with you, no hiding…” 

“Two weeks ago, that spoiled brat Siegfred pinned me to a wall in the hallway. He went on and on about how, I had no place as a Sigil Knight, and I’m as good as fodder. He kicked me in the stomach, and called me a.. Lower life-form. He said that the only reason I was even allowed to join the Order. Was because of you, he also said the same reason why I could keep up. with training and fighting” Rito says with spite in his voice.
“I’m sorry you had to go through all of that Rito, but why didn’t you tel-” I say but Rito cuts me off.
“I didn’t tell you, to prove I didn’t need you. I am strong enough on my own” Rito pauses. 

“I am not saying this to make you feel less, I just can’t take being treated as an inferior, especially by that little pissworm.” Rito crowls with hate in his eyes.

“I would have helped you though.” I say.
“Yeah, and that’s the issue.” Rito spits out. He takes a slight pause, and stands up.
“Judari, I don’t know if you know this, but Fischerans are seen as… Servants, to Vinds at least.” Rito says.
“Rito, I’m sorry, I-I didn’t know.” I quickly say.
“I know, even with your smart brain Judari, you still miss the details.” Rito says as he takes his leave. I look as he goes up the elevator, and enters into the Sigil Tree. All I’m left with is myself. I let my eyes take me to wherever they want, which is everywhere. Down to the azure water sloshing up against the small shore beneath me. The stars glittering in the vast space above me. Just small pinpoints of light, making their way down to Gaia.

I sit in the same spot until midnight, where slowly I feel a numbness in my hands and fingers. And I finally decide to go inside.
“Oh your back. I was just about to close the gates, so you made it just in time.” The receptionist quips. I walk up the wooden stairs, and I approach the desk.
“So uh, is there a way I can send a letter?” I ask, wiping the cold sweat of my forehead.
“Yes there is, do you have a letter ready?” The receptionist answers.

“Not right now, I’m gonna go to my room and write it, if that’s alright.” I say
“That’s fine, just be here with it in an hour, because I do actually wanna go to bed soon.”
“I’ll be here soon.” I quickly hurry up to my room. I go to the small desk situated in the corner of my room. I sit down in the cranky chair, and I take out a worn piece of paper. I take hold of the small pen laying behind the lamp. I take it and dip it slowly in the ink that rests by my hand. And I start writing.

Dear_dad_from_judari1.png

0