1.6 Close Call with Death
84 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Caige silently watched as all the actors pooled into the lobby and went to the second floor.

A young woman with dark purple hair caught his eyes immediately, it was her, Ella.

He’d have to keep a very close eye on her, he couldn’t miss when the conflict would happen.

“Bianca you can’t, if they find out what you’ve done they’ll kill us all.” Ella spoke righteously.

“We have to Haliey, we’ll die either way.”

Another actor said.

Ella now Hailey said sadly, “At the very least we’d live a little longer if we don’t do this.”

‘Bianca’, angered by her unwillingness, said, “You can stay here and die if you want, I know you're my friend but I’m not willing to die here with you.”

After a few seconds of silence they all high-fived each other.

“You did great Ella!”

“Wow! I never knew you could get into character so fast.”

Amelia who stood further away looked at them with a glare, mumbling under her breath, “Ass kissers, it’s just because she’s rich.”

Caige silently looked on, it was becoming apparent why Amelia disliked Ella.

Ella had gotten the role through a friend of her parents, whereas Amelia had to do everything herself. Caige honestly didn’t really care about nepotism, as long as the other person was capable.

If the person could do the job did it really matter? They would’ve just taken a longer route in the end. There was nothing wrong with having connections.

Amelia made her way over to Ella, as she got closer her face grew softer. 

“Hey Ella. Can you help me with this one scene?” She asked.

With a big smile Ella replied happily, “Sure! I’d love to.” They both walked to a corner and began reciting their lines.

Caige watched on curiously, what was Amelia doing?

He closely followed them both, they soon had lunch and decided to eat together. Weirdly enough it seemed Amelia was making friends with Ella.

‘This wasn’t really mentioned in the novel.’

At most Amelia would have a scene of reciting with Ella and found lots of faults in her that drive the nail deeper in Amelia to kill her. Honestly it was more like the author tried to justify it.

Then by chapter sixteen Ella had been killed. 

Caige soon grew annoyed, after going through the novel a few times he realized there really wasn’t a reason why Ella was murdered. 

It was mostly Amelia’s own personal feelings.

This wasn’t something Caige could solve as a ghost, the most he could do was prevent her death when it was coming up. He couldn’t change a person.

[DING!]

The system rang suddenly.

Caige looked at the system interface.

[Hidden Mission:

Prevent Liam’s death.]

‘What?’ Caige looked on in surprise at the interface.

‘Info’

[Plotline:

…→ ✓

Tasks:

Devlands

Have someone find ‘Devlands’ body. 0/1

Be on TV 0/1

Random

Move things 10/10 ✓

Scare a crew member 2/2 ✓

Hidden Mission:

Prevent Liam’s Death

Owned Character information:

Name: Devland VanTer

Age: 19

Personal Background:

Click to receive original owners memories

(Search Bar)]

Caige went to the search bar for more information.

[Hidden Mission:

Prevent Liam’s Death.

You will help Liam avoid death for the next three days.

Failure:

Death.

Reward:

One free skill draw.

Timer:

2:24:45:22]

‘What?!’

Now he had two deaths to prevent.

He could feel his blood pressure rising, he just wanted to stop an unjust death he didn’t know his goodwill would stab him in the back.

‘Does the system view me as righteous or something? (⇀‸↼‶)’

Sighing he decided he’d have to keep a close eye on both of them.

A day passed smoothly with no issues.

Exiting the box he saw it was going to be a rainy day. The rain hit the side of the building like small bullets, it was a big storm.

Caige made his way down the staircase, he ran into Amelia and Fillip whispering to each other.

He slowly approached and listened in, he had a slight fear that it might be sweet nothings.

His eyes widened in surprise when he heard them.

“I don’t want her on this show.”

Amelia whispered.

“There’s not much I can do about that, Amelia.” Fillips eyebrows scrunched together in frustration.

“I’m sure there’s something you can do.” She pouted her lips and circled his chest with her index finger.

Coughing, Fillip’s face turned red, and he said “I’ll tell you what we can do, but don’t be too surprised and please don’t say anything to anybody. It’s just a suggestion.”

“Go on, tell me.” 

“We could m-murder her.” Fillip answered.

Amelia just stared at him for a bit then said softly, “What do we have to do?”

“Let’s talk about this elsewhere.”

The two walked down the stairs and out of sight.

Caige had mostly confirmed his suspicions of Fillip; he was very likely to be Devlands murderer.

As the rain died down, a crew member ran in screaming.

“Fire! There’s a fire next door!”

Caige swiftly made his way down to the lobby. Then it hit him. Liam! He quickly ran up the stairs. 

People pushed and shoved and ran down the stairs quickly, props were turned over and people fell to the ground. He could luckily faze through all of the chaos.

Caige saw that the fire had spread to the 18th floor by an electrical wire that was connected to the two buildings. When he reached the floor it was void of people, listening through the crackle of the fire there was a low yell for help.

Caige was about to jump out of his skin in fright. Liam had been pinned down by a light fixture that had fallen over, the electricity from it only helping the fire to grow.

‘Where is everyone? Did they all just run out like mad men when the fire was little?’

It had only grown because they did not handle it in time.

Someone must have knocked over the light and pinned Liam and contributed to the fire while they were at it. ‘They really should have practiced how to get out of a fire and to the exits.’

Caige ran to Liam quickly and began pushing the light off of him as hard as he could. His body slipped through again and again.

‘Should I get someone to help?’ But it was too late for that. He could only depend on himself right now.

He wouldn’t even know how to get someone’s attention in all this chaos.

Liam's eyes grew hazy and his breathing shallow, the smoke was getting to him. Caige felt his sweat running down his cheeks, but maybe not, since he was a ghost.

With full focus like a hawk, he continued to push. He felt it, the light fixture, he pushed with everything he had.

The light rolled off of Liam, but he was already out of it. The smoke made him dazed. 

Caige grabbed Liam without a second thought. Within seconds Caiges own head grew heavy, his breathing hurt and his body felt weak.

‘W-what?’

He was inside Liam’s body.

Standing up quickly he made his way to the exit. He didn't know if it was because it wasn’t his own body or something else but his mind was as clear as a spring. 

The exit was within inches as he made his way to the stairs, a hand shot out and grabbed Liam.

Caige felt his soul slip from his body and Liam headed for the floor, before he did the hand supported him and they slowly went down the stairs.

Caige watched them head to the lobby, the blaring sound of ambulances and firetrucks came rushing. He watched as Liam was escorted into an ambulance.

Ella, Amelia, and Fillip, who wasn’t too far away, were also being treated for injuries.

Caige let out a sigh of relief, his ghost heart almost stopped. He had never experienced something so heart racing.

“Hello.” A gritty voice sounded behind him.

Caige just kept watching the crew hustle and bustle to get everyone out of the building and to a medical tent.

“Hello? I’m talking to you. You can’t just ignore someone, it’s rude.”

Caige turned around, he’d assumed the man was talking to someone else. No one could see Caige in his ghostly form.

When Caige saw the man- no being, he almost pissed his pants, it was as scary as falling twenty stories. The man stood in all black robes holding the cliche scythe that grim reapers carried and he was almost twice as tall as Caige.

“H-holy shit.” Caige mumbled.

“Cursing is bad.” The reaper laughed.

Caige bolted off to the staircase, he went to the highest floor and hid among the boxes. He quietly sat in the farthest box.

“What are you doing here? You can’t run away in the middle of a conversation.” The reaper smirked playfully as his head popped into the box.

Caige only felt his breath hitch and tried to run off again only to be caught by the collar.

‘Shit.’

Hello! I know the previous chapter wasn’t very long, it just felt perfect to leave it there though. (╯▽╰)

So this one is longer~

Tell me if there’s anything I can improve on! I feel like this might not have been written too well but I crave to write sometimes sooo~


6