Arc 1.7 Murder, Fire, and Death
64 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Caige felt his scalp tingle every time he made eye contact with the reaper.

The reaper tried to make his soul go through some kind of worm hole, but Caiges soul rejected it. It was like he was being slammed into a wall.

“Stop! Stop!” Caige yelled, it wasn’t fun being carried like a sack of potatoes, being thrown into a wall didn’t make it any better.

“Can’t you see I’m trying to send you to the afterlife, you’ve already protected your loved one so if you’d just get in, this would make things easier for everyone.” Caige could hear the annoyance in his voice, what was this madman talking about?

“What? I don’t have any loved ones!”

The reaper turned to him in surprise, “You're a spirit, how could you not have any loved ones? You wouldn’t have protected that young man if you didn’t.”

“What?” Caige asked.

“You're a spirit! How could you not know this?! Ghosts stay on earth because they have unfinished business, spirits stay to protect someone, and souls are just innocent beings who don’t know the way.” The reaper rambled off, he was clearly a very clumsy person. When he carried Caige back down to the lobby he’d ramble off about how it was closer between the void point then trip over his own robe.

He was like a toddler showing their mother the picture they drew only to fall face first into the dirt.

“I’m a ghost, but I don’t have grudges okay? I just want someone to find my body and to be on television, that’s it.” Caige decided to tell him Devlands tasks, they pretty much were his unfinished business. He could also probably help him complete them.

“You're a ghost!?” He screeched and threw Caige away in disgust. “Ew. Ew. Ew.”

He wiped his hands consecutively 

on his robe. Caige watched in surprise as the reaper looked at him disgusted.

“Evil thing. Should’ve known.”

“And you call me rude! This is discrimination against ghosts, I even saved someone’s life!” Caige felt offended, he might not really be a ghost but he was one right now. It was rude to call someone evil without getting to know them.

This probably would’ve been what the rat he threw out felt if it was human.

“T-that is true.” The reaper scratched his chin as he thought about it. “But ghosts are still evil, they hurt innocent people all the time. How can I be sure you're not like them?”

Caige facepalmed, “I just said I saved someone's life.”

“Oh, right. (ˉεˉ)”

‘Is he even a reaper?’ Caige looked at him in disgust.

Caige definitely wasn’t evil, he had never hurt anybody in his ghost form, he didn’t even know he had the ability to. He hadn’t even done anything and was hated on.

“I don’t particularly like ghosts, but since you’ve saved an innocent soul I guess I’ll give you a hand and solve your grudges.” 

Caige was ecstatic though a little offended, he still hadn’t come up with a way to complete his tasks. This reaper was like the rain during a drought, he started to look more pleasant to Caiges eyes.

“What were they again?”

‘→_→’

“I need someone to find my body, and I want to be on television.”

“I can do that, but I can’t give you a physical body. Wouldn’t your picture on the news count as being on television?” He asked.

“Probably?” Caige wasn't sure.

“It’s your final wishes, shouldn’t you know?” The reaper looked at him with confusion.

“We’ll see.”

The reaper just sighed and began closing the wormhole. “Should we start now?”

“No no no, I still have some things to finish.”

Caige had almost forgotten about Amelia and Fillip’s murder plan. He had to solve that before going anywhere. Since he decided to help he’d help.

“Now what?”

The reaper asked exasperated.

“I need to stop a murder.”

“A murder?!”

**

“Ok, ok. So we need to stop this Amelia and Fillip. I’m only helping because Ella isn’t on my list anytime soon, and she’s a really innocent soul.”

Caige grew curious, why wasn’t she on the list? She was supposed to die by Amelia’s hands, as stated by the novel. He’d have to go to the systems search bar some time soon and see.

“I can’t be with you as you stop the murder so just call me on this pendant when things start looking dicey or you need me for something else related to it.”

He handed over a pendant the color of black, but upon closer inspection it was actually a deep blue. In the middle of it was a red orb.

“Press the orb when ya need me, fare thee well~”

The reaper jumped into a newly formed wormhole like the rabbit in Alice and the wonderland.

‘I feel like I just had a fever dream.’

First a murder conspiracy, then fire, and last but not least a heartfelt talk with death. ‘If I was human I’m sure I’d be sleeping like a baby after tonight.’

Floating up to the body once again, he looked at the scratch marks dazedly. It would probably take weeks for the staff to clean up the building to its original condition. 

**

Another day passed and Caige had completed the hidden mission.

[Ding!]

[Hidden Mission: ✓

Reward Transferring to (Inventory)]

‘I have an inventory?!’

This was news.

‘Inventory.’

[One Free Skill Draw.

…]

There were an infinite amount of empty slots, Caige felt like a miner who just struck gold. He was soon dumped with a bucket of cold water, he could only fill the inventory with things purchased or usable in the system.

‘Store?’ He called out questionably.

[…]

Nothing.

He confirmed then and there that the inventory was basically useless, it seemed he only earned rewards from hidden missions and tasks only gave roulette slots. ‘Damn’

Hidden missions were probably rare, so the use of this inventory would pretty much be niche.

‘Should I use the skill draw now?’

He decided to hold off. He needed to go to the search bar for more information.

 

Clicking on the search bar in his mind, he began doing a thorough search of all the things he wanted to know about.

[Reapers can only see who will die a week in the future.]

[Skill Draw:

Spin a roulette, all slots on the roulette are related to visited worlds, acquaintances, and body.]

‘So if I skill draw now I’ll get a ghost related skill, or maybe even a reaper skill.’

His skills would be related to who he met and what body he was in. He’d have to hold off, who knew when he’d meet someone powerful? He’d be regretful if he spun now.

**

Four weeks later, bored out of his mind, Caige watched as the staff and actors finally came back. He had already scared the construction crew to death in his boredom, he’d caught up with all his shows, and he watched the rats scurry at night.

He had pretty much done everything a ghost could do. Rumors spread that the building was now haunted after the fire, though no one died from it.

‘Finally their back.’ He could now finish this murder case.

They had shot the show's scenes at a different location.

Amelia and Ella walked in closer than ever. He almost pitied the young girl, the one she befriended wanted to murder her. It was almost like the case with Skylar Neese.

Liam also walked in better than ever, with the same expressionless face, it was almost comforting to see.

‘Time to get this show started!’

6