Book 1: Chapter 12 – Incoming
545 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We’ll be leaving in the next 10 minutes. You boys ready?” Lance asked when he saw Ace and Killian leaving the room they shared, entering their small living room.

“We’re ready!” The boys said in unison.

Looking over to the door, Ace saw a few bags packed with their essentials. Looking back at the rest of the house, Ace looked at all the furniture and belongings Lance had collected over his time living here.

“Are you sure you really want to leave your life here? I’m sure if you asked for your job back after we left, they’d give it to you, especially after you break through to the 4th Rank.” Ace said, feeling slightly guilty.

Lance looked deeply at the place he had called home for the better part of 10 years.

“I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a small part of me that was sad to leave, but after seeing the true face of my former employers, I could never go back to working for them. Plus, I’m ready to start the next chapter in my life with you guys.” Lance replied honestly. “Now hurry and help your mom pack the carriage.”

Ace nodded before he and Killian picked up the last few bags and took them outside.

“Ace, Kil, place those bags inside the carriage and come over here,” Milianna said when she saw the boys leave the house.

Doing as she said, the duo stopped in front of Milianna, who ruffled their hair warmly.

“I’m sorry for everything you boys have had to put up with over the last year or so, but I’m so proud of the way you’ve carried yourselves. Whatever happens at your assessment, we’ll make it work, so don’t put too much pressure on yourselves, okay?” Milianna asked, worried about the pressure they were under to do well.

Both Ace and Milianna had noticed the recent change in Killian’s behaviour. He had become even less talkative than usual, he wasn’t eating as much, but he was forcing himself to train harder.

Ace had chosen not to say anything for two reasons:

First, even if he didn’t pass the test to become a mage, he, more than anyone, understood how talented a warrior Killian was. It would be impossible for no warrior-based academies to want to recruit an eight-year-old late-stage rank one warrior.

Secondly, and most importantly, Killian will more than likely have to face situations far more stressful than this throughout his life. He needed to get used to facing pressure by himself if he wanted to thrive in the future.

Killian just wanted to pay everyone back for taking such good care of them by living up to their expectations, but in doing so, he had put an unnecessary amount of pressure on himself. But Milianna saying what she did alleviated some of his stress and made him feel warm inside.

“I understand!” Killian said with a gentle smile.

“Good. Now for the last time, are you two sure you want to run beside the carriage? There’s more than enough space inside for you to sit down and rest.”

“Running beside the carriage is the only training we’ll be able to do today if we want to make it to Fenlai by nightfall.” Ace replied.

The boys spent the next 6 hours running alongside the carriage, making sure to keep taking short sharp breaths to absorb as much of nature’s energy as they could whilst the sun rose.

Killian was sweating buckets, but his eyes remained steadfast as he focused on putting one foot in front of the other, making sure to stay beside Ace.

Ace, on the other hand, didn’t find the run too challenging. He had still worked up a bit of sweat, but his breathing was steady as he focused most of his attention on taking in as much of the sights as he could. This was his first time leaving Wushan town since he was born, and he could hardly contain his excitement.

At the front of the carriage was Lance, steering the two horses, and Milianna, who watched Ace with a gentle but proud smile.

“You raised a good son,” Lance said, noticing the look on her face.

“I didn’t actually do much; it was almost like he raised himself,” Milianna said, chuckling whilst reminiscing.

“Haha, I know what you mean. Sometimes I forget he’s only a child. It’s like speaking to another adult.” Lance said, looking over at Ace.

“He really is a little genius!” Milianna agreed. “Although I won’t be able to call him little for much longer.”

“Haha, what do you want to do for his birthday tomorrow?” Lance asked.

“He says he just wants us all to go for a nice meal tomorrow. Knowing him, as long as it includes nice food, he’ll be happy.” Milianna replied helplessly.

“He truly is a glutton, that boy,” Lance said with a chuckle.

“How you holding up, Kil?” Ace asked, turning to face the oversized eight-year-old.

Killian simply nodded, too tired to use words.

Ace was about to respond when he abruptly stopped with a deep frown. Seeing him stop, both Killian and the carriage also came to a stop.

“Ace honey, are you okay?” Milianna said, hurrying to her son’s side, worried he might be hurt.

Ace hadn’t even heard his mother. He was too busy focusing his observation haki on four formidable auras he didn’t recognise heading in their direction in a hurry.

‘Those auras are coming straight towards us, and that bloodlust…

They remind me of the Cipher Pol’s agents from my previous life. Why would assassins be coming after us?’

“Lance, mom, please don’t ask any questions right now; I just need you to trust me.” Ace said with an uncharacteristically serious expression.

“Why wha…”

“Tell us what you need us to do,” Lance said, interrupting the worried mother, placing his palm on her shoulder to comfort her.

Nodding at Lance, grateful for his trust, Ace started giving out orders. “Mom, Killian, both of you get in the back of the carriage. Lance, you and I will be riding out front.”

Understanding that now wasn’t the time for discussions, everyone followed Ace’s instructions.

“Now what?” Lance asked after making sure Milianna and Killian were on the back safely.

20