Oswell Ch.1: Prelude
17 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey, have you heard that Oswell the barbarian is fighting soon?", a young man tells in a tavern called the Northern Bok.

His friend looks surprised:"Really?! We have to go there! He is among the greatest warriors in the colosseum, and he is my favourite!"

"I know, that's why I told you. He is fighting an ogre tomorrow", slightly smiling the young man continues drinking his ale.

The talks of Oswell fighting in the colosseum were all over the town of Newhan. This larger town grew due to its fertile grounds and the newly built colosseum. The ruling nobility also decides fairly and implemented a good tax system. Most of the citizens are happy. And so is Oswell. He is a free fighter for the colosseum. Being a free fighter means that he himself decided to fight in the colosseum for a few years. As the fourth son of a farmer he didn't have much hopes for the land of his father. Even more so, since the siblings have good relations and he could see the motivation of his siblings. He knew that he could stay on the farm, but he did not want to intrude on his siblings, especially since their farm wasn't huge. One day they went on a trip to the city and the colosseum just opened. The colosseum advertised with free entry and Oswell instantly felt that this was very interesting. After he visited a few times he asked if he could fight in a group against some goblins to test his luck. Of course, he got hurt. But he felt it; the feeling of being alive, something he hadn't felt until that point. As for his family? They knew that Oswell wasn't made for being a farmer. And due to him being a free fighter he could still return to them. But let's return to the present.

"Oswell, I heard yoou're fighting an ogre tomorrow? You truly are fantastic" a burly man asks Oswell. This burly man is Nicolin, another fighter. He was among the first to recognize Oswell and helped him out a few times. He is now know as the red-haired axe devil, for using a big battleaxe and leavving large amounts of blood, when he fights. Even though he is already in his thirties, he is still active.

"Thank you, I have only seen the corpses and skulls, so I wanted to test out my strength against it. I heard stories, but there is no better feeling than trying it out yourself, right?", answers Oswell. He also became muscular due to the years of fighting. He joined the colosseum when he was 16 and soon will turn 21. Over the years he earned the title of the dual-axe berserker, due to his fast paced battle style, with little regard to his own well-being.

"Just be careful that you don't break your arms again and I have to patch you up for months", Nicolin laughs: "I don't wanna have to explain to your family again."

"How long ago was this? This was years ago. I am quite a bit stronger-", Oswell answers jokingly annoyed.

"And so is your opponent", interjects Nicolin.

"Yeah, but it should work. I will be fine, trust me"

"Guess I have no choice when you say that. Alright, have you thought 'bout the offer I gave you? You need to get to know a woman. I know quite a few"

"...No, thank you. I told you already that I am fine with just fighting. Why would I want to be caught up in love. Maybe when my hunger for fighting has been satisfied."

"But will this devil still be alive by the point you lose your hunger for fighting? Hah, I get asked to bring you to the brothels often, what do I say to them?"

"I don't know, I won't be going anyways."

"Well, you were always stubborn in weird ways, but that's what makes you so attractive"

"You're not implying that I would be into men, are you?"

"Haha, I certainly would know a few men who wouldn't mind going into bed with you"

"While I appreciate the offer I have to decline."

"It was worth a try." Nicolin continues: "Also I reserved a few sots for your family"

"Thanks"

"Well, Oswell, it was nice chatting with you, but I have to go now. I have to get my immigration papers finished."

"Ah, I almost forgot, that you come from the Walsburn county of the Kildraulin kingdom. Even with all the friction between our two kingdoms, have they finally be allowed?"

"Yep, I couldn't be happier. With that the marriage with my sweetheart won't have any problems"

"I wish you the best of luck."

"Thanks brother", with a huge smile Nicolin leaves.

Oswell makes his way to the colosseum to talk with the manager. On the way he gets greeted a few times and gifted a few meat skewers. Once he arrives at the colosseum, he walks to the manager's room. There the brother of the Newhan family head awaits him. Idar Newhan, a 40 year old man. Although he is technically a noble, you could forget that. He is sitting very relaxed with an oepn shirt showing a few scars from his own battles. He often talks about how you could not be a manager if you haven't fought yourself.

"Welcome welcome, I see some meat skewers, can ya gimme some?" is the first thing Oswell hears in the office. He knew this would happen, so he gave 3 out of his 6 remaining skewers to Idan.

"Haha, you are giving me half? I'm impressed. Are you trying to better your karma before fighting the ogre?", Idan asks. In a more serious tone he continues: "That won't help you much though, the fight ist still going to be tough. But I believe in you. So why did you come here today? Probably not to see me."

"While I do like your presence, I came to get the time when I should arrive. As much as I like the colosseum, I don't wanna wait hours here, the anticitpation would kill me even more than it does already."

"Hey, then the anticipation would at least be something that actually can kill you. Well, you will be fighting 2 hours after the noon bell rings. Ideally you could be here an hour before starting so...please be here around the 1 hour after noon bell."

"Ah ok, thanks manager Idan"

"Ey, I told you to call me Idan if no one is aorund. The manager title is so burdensome. Though the work itself is fun."

"Hah, I often have to remind myself that you're nobility."

"What? Do you want me to walk around with my nose high and all that stuff? Luckily my brother and his children aren't like that as well. He educated his children well. Ah those little rascals, but they are cute so I forgive them."

This was true, both Idan's brother Andre Newhan and his two sons were all similiar to Idan. Though they aren't as rowdy as he is. Only the daughter of Andre is more noble-like with tea parties and other fancy stuff but even she recognizes commoners as people. Thus the whole town has a good picture of its local nobility, while peddlers and visitors give a bad picture of foreign nobility. 

"Well, thanks for telling me; I gotta go now. Some last minute training and resting surely, cannot hurt"

"Sure, I wish you the best of luck for tomorrow. I don't want to lose you, after all you bring good income", laughs Idan. While it sounds mean, both know that they have mutual respect. 

Oswell returns to the streets, getting some food for the next few days and then departs to the farm house of his family. As soon as he arrives 4 small children run up to him. He gives each of them a few things to carry and together they go into the house.

One of the children, a small boy who just reached the age of 5 screams into the house: "Daddy, Mommy, uncle Oswell is back!"

From some door a woman in her late twenties appears, she is the wife of his first brother. 

"Hello Ellen, I brought some things for dinner"

"Oh thanks Oswell, I was just about to go and get some more. Kids, go bring the stuff into the kitchen. How was the town?"

"Lively as always. No wait, scratch that. While not visible, the tensions with Kildraulin can be felt. The bars and taverns have a tight atmosphere, there are a few more mercenaries."

"Hah, I just hope our nice town stays untouched. Luckily most if not all of them mercenaries are moving further west to the potential conflict zone. But you should just focus on the fight tomorrow. So eat up to be of full strength."

After a bit more banter the rest of the family arrives and eat. The members include Oswell, his first brother Aaron, his wife Ellen, their 4 kids andhis second borther Asmond who came over to visit. He also tells them of the tension further in the west. Asmond and Aaron decide to also travel west to get their third brother Arnold. However that would all be after the fight.

[The next day]

After getting all the encouragements of his family, Oswell goes to the colosseum on time. Even from quite far away you can hear the cheers of the crowd for the fighters. And the main course of course would be Oswell and his fight against an ogre. While ogres are generally rare and live alone, when they find a group of kobolds, they become a big dangerous group. Luckily such an incident is very rare and thus there has been no such case in the last decade. However their grey skin, tusks and muscular body could induce fear in anyone, even if the ogre is just passing by. This time it is even more scary, as it is an ogre with high intelligence. In most cases they hide in the forests, building their clan or other stuff. However this ogre is different. It searches for strong opponents. And on its journey it found this colosseum and agreed to a fight if it was a fight for life and death. Hearing this option, Oswell instantly agreed. Now their fight begins.

0