Ch1 Orientation
739 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1205 -  Shikishima Village (Outskirts of The Izanagi Empire)

The soft morning sunlight crept across the open windowsill of a snoring girl caressing her small pale cheeks stirring her from her slumber.  Her vision blurred before coming into focus,  she slouched in her bed stretching and yawning as she greeted the fresh new day.

“Morning already it can’t be, just a few more minutes.”   The girl groaned sinking back into warm embrace of her bed her pink blanket shrouding her like a warm cocoon.   

Mari Higurashi -  Age 6 (Totally Adorable)

Sinking into her pillow it was easy to drift away as she felt herself dancing around the edges of another long morning nap a thundering rasp fell across her bedroom door accompanied by a voice that was both commanding and weary.

Opening the door to her room a middle aged man covered from head to toe in soot wearing tattered old clothes and a leather apron that was charred and fraying at the seams.   The man was tall and muscular with arms like the trunk of an old oak.  

Yet it was not fear nor intimidation that the sight of this man inspired but safety and love “It’s Papa!  Good morning Papa”  The girl said casting off her blanket cocoon and diving towards the man grabbing hold of his leg and squeezing tightly.

Tha man’s sour expression remained unchanged by the girls loving embrace he pryed the girl of his leg like the batting away of a fly,  this lasted for the passing of second before he scooped the dejected girl up in his arms and his face shifted to a beaming smile.

“Morning Riri you ready for breakfast?”  The man said as he wrapped his arms tightly around the girl hugging her.   

Keisuke Higurashi:   46 years old (And totally single)

“We need to be quick though we’ve got a busy day ahead of us regrettably”

“Busy?  Did more orders come in already Papa?”  

“You forgot didn’t you?”  Keisuke groaned

“Well I don’t remember so I guess so”  Mari laughed.

“The day that you’ve been chirping about for the last year has arrived and you don’t even remember?  What am I going to do with you Mari”

 Keisuke sighed only amused his daughter further as they made their way down stairs to the dining room table which already had a smattering of food waiting for her.   Juicy apples so ripe they might burst and succulent meat well cooked and seasoned.

“It’s Steorling meat fresh and tasty caught it this morning”

Mari drooled at little at the sight of piping hot meat resting on her plate while her father devoured a red apple alongside a full cup of honey mead.   “Hold up what do we say before we eat”  Her papa said wiping the mead from his thick and messy beard.

“Oh the prayer right,  sorry Papa.”  Mari blushed embarrassed before she cleared her throat and recited the prayer.     

 

“Oh Erisvelg exalted mother of earth and sea

Shaper of time, the stars and trees.

Cast your gaze upon us and hear our pleas

We thank you for our world, our light and the blessings we see.

 Teka”  

 

“Teka”  Her papa repeated refilling his empty cup of mead and cutting into his piece of Steorling meat spilling the juices on the table.   “So what was meant to member today Papa.”  Mari queried stuffing her mouth full of the meat.

“Seriously?  You were prattling on about it for months last year”  

“Nah I’m kidding Papa it’s orientation day at St Nemenanas”

“You know the word orientation but you can’t say the name of your school right… curious”

“It’s Saint Philmenas School for Sisters,  Pretentious name huh.”

“Don’t talk bad about  my school Papa it’ll make Saint Saori cry”

“What It’s not like the Saint named the school herself it was founded hundreds of years after her…”

”That’s not the point Papa now apologize!”  Mari said pouting and glaring.

“Alright alright I’m sorry stop glaring it’s killing me”  

“That’s better now I can eat with a clear conscience”  Mari snickered polishing the rest of her plate.

“Now where the hell did you learn words like Conscience and Orientation,  You sure your really six?”  

“As of three months ago yes and I learned about those words from the books in Mama’s library”

“Ah silly me you spend all your time there nose stuck in some dusty old book,  when you should be helping me with the smithy”

“Come on Papa I already hold down the fort while your on your trips I do more than enough”

“ I know you do a great job little miss,  Oh speaking of you’re going to have to hold down the fort for the next month”   

Mari’s face dropped, her smile withering and growing forlorn at the prospect of spending another month alone.   “You’re not going to their when I take my oath?”  Mari said her voice quivering.  

“We’ll talk about this another time now get dressed we have a damn orientation to get to”

“Ah fine but this isn’t over Papa!”  Mari said storming upstairs to her room leaving her Father groaning and reaching for another cup of mead.    

“It’s goin to be a long day ain't it?”  Keisuke sighed filling his glass once last time.

17