55 : A Spectacle of Dancing Petals
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'll keep all the previous part of Lotus and White Hibiscus in the spoiler box below. 
Also, one word in this part "dendrite" does not refer to the nervous system. Best way to describe it is with how in winter, crystal branches form on windows. Well, it's similar, but on specific old rock.

Spoiler

Lotus and White Hibiscus, Part 1

Clay porcelain,
Sing and dance:
Your fate to entertain.
The wolves of vain.

You, who bought those candles,
Of vainglory.
All to please those vandals
Like dolls at the pillory.

[collapse]

 

Lotus and White Hibiscus, Part 2

White Hibiscus,
little pure satin thorn,
this rancor you grew
was true to your roots.
For your heaves and luscious lips
have blossomed only platitude.

Once past the dendrite over your silky white,
stone cold as the moon’s effervescence,
may one dare peel your polished petals
of sculpted chrysanthemum stone.

Your name, sundry, is whispered.
I hear but fictitious flowers across the heaven.
This thorny twig I saw midnight past
scouring a home pass branching veils.
I wish to whisper to it one day:
That I await for any resolution.
So that a Lotus and a Hibiscus
may be ashes one nostalgia away…

 

The final festivity had finally started, and Tsuki’s first task was to simply make a calm rain of petals. She couldn’t quite see the spectators in the darkness, as lights were only installed behind them. This did offer them a sense of privacy, which was increased by large screens dividing groups of people. Such privacy was somewhat needed as important people showed up, and knowing where they were could be a security issue.

Still, Tsuki was able to see only one group clearly as they built an impressive pagoda with red wood and golden rims. Strangest of all were the heavily decorated light posts sprouting like grass from the structure and surrounding a figure draped in darkness on the first pavilion.   

Since the figure scared her, she ignored the pagoda as a whole. But there was something she simply couldn’t ignore. It was the sudden appearance of a familiar snake at her feet. It stared at her silently while the pattern of lightning on its back told her that it was confused.

Hoomaikai was forced to watch most of the festivities as one of the surviving teachers thought it would be a good idea to turn them into assignments. In truth, he wanted to relax the students who saw many of their friends die on this trip.

So here was Hoomaikai, forced to watch what she considered to be a show designed for dirty old men, and she saw petals that could only come from the one she loved… Even though she knew that her feelings might never be returned, she was worried. Someone she knew and cared for was working with people who were, in her opinion, less than savory.

"Come see me later," said the snake before dissolving.

Tsuki smiled wryly at this event. Something she didn’t like about Hoomaikai’s snakes was that she couldn’t tell the main emotion Hoomaikai had toward Tsuki. There were patterns on the snakes that helped, but things like curiosity, joy, jealousy, appreciation, and even the anger she was currently feeling from her new coworkers were hard to discern otherwise. And on this, she could understand most of the emotions other than anger. She didn’t know who it was or why, but this sudden anger directed at her felt odd. She thought it might be due to her having to help a certain someone, which became a cause for jealousy. She didn’t care about any competition the other girls might have and chose to ignore this misplaced feeling.

﴿۞﴾

 

Up in the pagoda, the emperor watched the show with great interest. On his right was his son, while on his left was his current lover. He was disappointed in both of them. The only thing that piqued his interest was attaining immortality. Because of extensive testing on his own body that left him disfigured, his power was starting to wane. To combat this, he desired a son whom he could use as a new body. For this, he absolutely needed a son of his own and not the person on his right.   

Thus, here he was looking for a possible woman who could birth him a son. His malformed body made him wish for a beautiful one, and hearing the tale of Lotus greatness made them his main target. Shame on him since he did have a child whose existence was unknown to him…

As he was starting to get bored of waiting, magical petals began to rain calmly. To the eyes of most, they were simple petals. But he detected in each of them a profound power that left him to wonder. The yellow ones felt innocent and held a sort of paradox that he couldn’t quite grasp. The white ones were singular as a whole, such that he didn’t see a rain of white petals but a thin curtain. Then the black ones were like eyes piercing into his soul to detect his every secret. He was amazed by this last one, as it didn’t feel wrong or dangerous. It felt like how his grandmother would observe how thin he was as a child and give him all kinds of attention. It was warm and filled with care, yet serious and direct.

"Find who is behind that," he whispered to a nearby shadow, which quickly vanished.

Back on the stage, Lotus made their appearance. They didn’t stay long and only recited a poem in five parts. The slight hint of erotica in their words made people interested and try to understand what the poem was about, but it abruptly ended at the fifth part. Some felt like they needed to pay Lotus a visit to know the end, but unknown to them, one of the spectators whispered the rest and left in a hurry…

 

The show followed its course with the appearance of a mature woman from the eastern plain riding a larger than usual tiger. It roared loudly to assert its might and showed glee at the spectators’ fearful response. As for the woman, she appeased the crowd by presenting her singing talent. She used a harp to accompany her voice while her words described tales of valiant heroes in her hometown. She finished her song by claiming that only the bravest may claim the Beglammer.

Tsuki smiled pensively during this presentation and thought about what the crow calling itself the The Morrigan had shown her. The large castle of flesh with a tower reaching for the sky, which she attacked, had part of its skeleton here outside, as the city itself. Even if the vision was wrong and no such thing was to happen, it was better to be ready for the worst. She also understood that with everything she had seen since coming to this world, that turning a bustling city into a castle of flesh should be possible…

She sighed loudly, wishing at that time to know what the future truly held... Maybe it’s an innocent wish she still abhors, but truthfully, the future is often better kept a secret. She now honestly wonders if that little girl back then would have had the courage to act, knowing what she now knows. Still, she remembers that when she first came to that world and that Alice escaped from the tip of her fingers, that she often cried about the regret of ever escaping their warm tower… But now she feels like she would take that step a hundred times. There are so many things that she failed to grasp, and now wonders if the her of back then should existentially be considered the her of today. Ahhh, the blessing of innocence is such a nostalgic scent…

Anyway, after the woman riding Halambusha left, one appeared with the cursed white owl. Tsuki was fully expecting it to attack the spectators, but her expectation wasn’t met as Lotus came behind her to cover her eyes.

She tried to fight against this, but they whispered, "I think a little someone would be mad if you looked." What Lotus said was the truth, as small snakes started appearing around the girl. Still, even if she had seen what was going on, it wouldn't have even reddened her cheeks. Sexuality and the like were natural to her. After all, her sheep would often partake in this dance. For her, there was no difference between an animal and a human producing offspring. Being blinded made her question her perception of things, as what she imagined happening was wilder than the scantily clothed dance with nothing more to it.

After some time, a happy-go-lucky girl entered the stage, followed behind by a beast hidden under a heavy blanket. It was the strange girl who had discovered that only things with a large enough surface area could touch Sinorous. It was something that Tsuki quickly took note of. There were so many things she didn’t know about this beast. It could somewhat eat and walk on hard surfaces but pass through trees as if they didn’t exist. What worried her was the nauseating odor that the first hound produced. Maybe Sinorous could do the same, or maybe he lacked something to do so…

What the strange girl presented on stage was quite endearing in the end. She used the fact she couldn’t touch Sinorous as the closing part of a romance story between a monster and a maiden. It was surprising how obedient the hound was, as he played his part perfectly. It wasn’t the story of a woman and a beast that she sometimes read to Alice, as the strange girl played the part of an obsessive lover. Still, Tsuki really liked the play and couldn’t stop laughing at how people reacted to seeing Sinorous’ body. Even the emperor got frightened. He, like the others, all felt a cold breath behind their necks, as if the creature was ready to clench its long and sharp teeth on their soft skin…

After she left, up came an old lady dressed in pure black. No one knew who she was, and neither did she introduce herself. There were a lot of complaints as this old lady was intruding on the show, but some, with drinks in their hands, applauded her courage. The atmosphere was somewhat strange and heavy, but before she could be removed, she started dancing. Her movement wasn’t awkward or slow in the least, but supple and clear like a professional.

Everyone was surprised. Her arms and legs floated like butterflies while never being seen under heavy clothing. Her dance was mesmerizing, such that people thought it was only someone disguised as an old lady, but when words started leaving her cracked lips like a groan to produce a mournful song of a lost lover, people understood that her advanced age wasn’t a deception. Before they knew it, she was done and had already disappeared from their sight without leaving her name: Dhumavati.  

The festivities concluded after a few other girls went on stage with none able to do better than the old lady. Some of the remaining girls who didn’t go up on stage were sent to clean up any plates of food that were given during the shows. It gave them a chance to meet the spectators and either find someone good to possibly redeem them or do any other business they might wish for.

 

"Say say Maikai. Which show did you like best? The sixth one was quite original, but my Sinorous was a way better actor!"

"Tsuki!"

At the scream of Hoomaikai, Tsuki simply stopped what she was doing and looked confused at the other girl. The two of them were walking together next to a nearby creek. Hoomaikai hadn’t said anything until now and was a mixed ball of emotion.

"I’m leaving in about a week," continued Hoomaikai after a long silence. The emperor agreed to take the stranded students along once he was done with a few important matters. "You’ll come also, right?"

Tsuki wasn’t quite sure what to say. If her friend was only angry, then she would have reassured her, and similarly with other emotions. But right now, she didn’t understand what she was sensing from Hoomaikai. It was an overwhelming mix of emotions. Sensing other people’s emotions wasn’t something she quite liked, as it was proof she wasn’t like them. And right now, she was ill-equipped to respond to Hoomaikai.

"What even are you planning?" pushed Hoomaikai. "Do you intend to work with those scond—…  with those women all your life? I can lodge you again!"

"Again?" responded Tsuki.

Tsuki’s words made Hoomaikai tears up. Although Tsuki only wanted to make a joke, Hoomaikai understood it in another way. After all, Alice and Tsuki did escape from her tower in the past which led to their death…

"You’d rather die?"

There were a lot of things Tsuki didn’t understand, but the fact that things were currently escalating in the wrong direction was something she was worried about. She took Hoomaikai’s hand and began running. She didn’t have a goal. She simply wanted to clear the bad air.

They reached a clearing, where Hoomaikai finally managed to break free. She was mad as her leg, although mostly healed, filled her with pain. What was more, the girl pulling her was acting strange. She had been worried about Tsuki when she was sick, but now she was suddenly able to run around… Thus, Hoomaikai pushed the other girl down.

She saw Tsuki’s green and blue eyes darting around like they didn’t know what was going on. There were heavy bags under the girl’s eyes, while her skin, flushed in some parts, was mostly ghastly white. There was a mix of exhaustion, confusion, and illness in the girl’s appearance, which pained Hoomaikai.

Tsuki was mentally immature, to say the least. Not in the sense that she was young or lacked maturity, but because of what she was……

It shouldn’t be a surprise that Tsuki – be it as she is now or in the past – wasn’t human. A beast trying to become one should be the best way to describe her. Hoomaikai was seeing this beast for the second time. The same events were repeating themselves. Just like back then, when she was Kanga… Hoomaikai instinct rang loudly, and she created an expanding sphere of lightning to surround the both of them.

A shadow that was hiding in the grass was forced back. Hoomaikai saw the shadow, and her heart sank low. It was the same as in the past…

✿❀✿

 

Kanga, as someone trying to preserve humanity, had heard tales of a flower who had existed since before the time of mankind. Kings and heroes alike would try and obtain the flower for themselves only to never return. Poor and desperate were the only ones able to return and they all retold how the flower could grant wishes.

Back then, Kanga wasn’t the only ruler. They were all constantly at war with one another which only help hasten the death of humanity. Kanga wanted to find the flower even if it led to her death. If it could really grant her wish, then maybe she would be able to achieve her goal…

Her journey was a tale of wildflower and sorcery…

*

 

Gupta’s report of the week

After causing the death of more then half of the creatures inside the temple, Gupta has opted to aim for their sources. Be it things that offered his foes nutriment or those constantly birthing new combatants, he indiscriminately destroyed them all. His action caused his foes to have their back against the wall. They have no choice but to eliminate Gupta before they die of starvation or a lack of young.

This in turn pushed Gupta to exploit the crumbling temple by creating hidden passages and traps all the more deviously. He caught himself smiling multiple times in his carnage. Slowly, what he was created for began to be tainted…

Extermination: (35% -> 85%)

Resources needed: 50 units of wood. Lockpicking tools.

Research: 10% walls.

Map explored: 10%

Mine discovered. Substance A35.


Fun fact about the Dhumavati: some text describe her in a youthful way. Maybe they are presenting a young version of her but this clash with what she represent. Dhumavati represent what is inauspicious but is at the same time more sexually active than Rati, the goddess of sex... So, I decided to use that weird fact as Dhumavati's background a bit. But yeah, she was the one with the Lord of Dreams.  

0