(Vol3)134. Fatal Chaos
294 0 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The figure created a route straight to the first level for me and Lena.

Eva materialises beside the rocky figure after Lena and I leave. 

"What the hell are you doing?" Eva says. 

"Fulfilling my duty." the figure replies.

"This is not what the CEO tasked you to do." 

The figure turns to Eva, floating mid-air in a dark blue dress. 

"That Arsto is not my master." 

Eva feels a faint hostility. 

...

"Besides, this will be useful for Samuel." The figure says.

"But The Empress of Envy's temperament...haah..." Eva sighs.

"Player Samuel...I hope you can handle her." Eva thinks to herself.

"Anyways, I have completed my purpose." The figure walks to the altar and touches it. "Your Majesty..." 

Eva watches silently as the figure reminisces. The figure looks up and mumbles "Long live the queen."

Its body chips away and crumbles into mere dust.

======================================= 

Our footsteps echo awkwardly as we climb the pathway paved. 

I managed to find Lena but overheard something unbelievable. In addition, my cover was blown so easily. Damn...

This led me to think about the real Arsto's objective. If all of these are orchestrated by him, what does he want? Does he want to go against Bestolo and the five gods?

...

In the end, answers will arrive when I grow stronger.

"Young master..." Lena breaks the silence.

"Ah...yes?" 

She looks at me. "What happened?"

"It's a long story."

"We have time."

I summarize what happened after the invasion, giving her only vague information while hiding crucial parts. I think Lena notices that but is satisfied with my reply. 

She looks down with a slight smile. "I see..." 

A heavy burden was taken off Lena. She feels like she can breathe again. 

"Your family's mortal enemies are demonic humans," I say. 

"I know but not every demonic human is bad." 

...

"What about your face? It's difficult not to recognise that."

Lena casts some magic I don't recognise and her appearance returns to normal. Without prior knowledge, I wouldn't know of the cracked skin and eye colour because I cannot detect anything amiss.

Suddenly, she slows down and hugs me from behind. 

"L-Lena?"

"...I'm glad you are alive."

"..."

I turn around and return a hug. 

!!

"I'm sorry for scaring you." 

A rosy hue flushes across Lena's face at my unexpected gesture. With glistening eyes and slightly parted lips, she tightens her arm around my body. Her smile, unable to hide itself, stretched from ear to ear. 

In the dark illumination of a mere light magic, the embrace is Lena's world. 

As I patted her head, unsure if it was my imagination, I could hear faint panting.

We return to the surface after some time. 

Lia, who was delighted to see her daughter's complexion, paid me extra gold and offered dinner. Her favourability of me vastly increased. 

Lena promised to keep my identity a secret, saying she knew why I hid myself. 

I rest for the remaining time until the meeting the next day. 

======================================= 

Near Lia's villa is a large chancery made of quarried stone. Unlike the rest, it boasts a gothic architecture with ribbed vaults as hallways and pointed arches connecting sections. 

Around the vicinity is a fortified wall guarded by elite knights. 

A massive wooden door adorned with intricate carvings and ironworks serves as the entrance. 

Lia guides me across the complex pathways. Upon entry, the beauty of a spacious courtyard embraces visitors with a central fountain surrounded by lush gardens.

I set my gaze on some artistic paintings and statues lining the hallway. 

Lia brings me to another large door, she pushes it open to reveal a grand room, the heart of the chancery. It features a high vaulted ceiling with chandeliers and stained glass portraying a mystical leviathan. 

The centrepiece of the room is a circular table with a hollow middle. Only one person is seated before us, Rena Altos.

She glances at me and smiles. 

I return the smile. 

Soon, council members approach the table one by one. A total of eight people are here, three of whom I do not recognise.

"Thank you everyone for attending. I will start by introducing our new face today." Rena turns to me. "His name is Arsto. He was an officer of the BOV and suppressed an invading threat three days ago. His strength and insight will be of great help." 

"Thank you. Nice to meet everyone." I reply. 

As a form of courtesy, Rena introduces herself and every one to me. Alure, Rosy, Lia, Rena, and three strangers:

Sov, an old man in charge of external affairs, Oliver, a young overseer of law, and Olivia, sister of Oliver and the minister of finance.

------------------

(Your current influence)

Rena:High 

Lia:High 

Rosy: Low 

Alure: High 

Oliver: Medium 

Olivia: Low 

Sov: Medium

Despite your position, you may attempt to chip in on discussions and suggest various components. 

Beware that bad or undesirable suggestions may affect the trust and influence of the council members. 

------------------ 

The first section of the meeting is simply a report of ongoing city affairs. Rosy and Rena guide the ministers on those matters. 

"Moving on, the situation in Opium City has stabilized. As predicted, a large amount of military resources and rations were stashed in the city, providing swift recovery for our troops. We need to decide which city is most optimal for an invasion before our enemy recovers." says Alure.

...

"May I suggest a method to swiftly turn the tides?" I say. 

Everyone shifts their attention to me. 

"What do you mean?" Rosy asks. 

"I know someone that can cause an uproar within the central government, tearing their order apart. In that time frame, we will invade as many cities as possible."

Rosy's expression grows sour. "You are underestimating our enemy."

"I am well aware of the government's power. I worked in the BOV before."

"That's even more suspicious, don't you think? The BOV are in cahoots with the government." Rosy firmly pressures me. "Tell us. Are you a spy?"

...

Anything I say will make the situation worse.

"Rosy, enough. Don't jump the gun. He wouldn't protect Pole Ridge if he had malicious intent." Rena says. 

"Tch." Rosy, with an annoyed expression, backs off. 

22