(Vol3)143. Mixed Emotions
260 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ugh...my head...

Headache and nausea bombard my mind. Opening my eyes reveals a familiar ceiling. It's my room at Pole Ridge.

...

Memories of the past few days pour in. Although it feels natural, something is wrong.

!

"...That's right...I wanted to use another method since there was enough time." I mumble.

My alter ego took over...

Fuck! That guy takes over whenever he likes.

I clench my fist and stare at the ceiling. The faces of government personnel flash in my head.

They are humans like me...what gives me the right to use them as I see fit?

If possible, I wanted to avoid sacrificing innocent lives, not only for moral reasons but to avoid future troubles.

Revenge.

The truth will eventually spread to some people and I will be a target.

...

What did Flow mentioned? Two what?"

I get up and look at a mirror across the room.

...

Today is the day everyone gathers for a last meeting, consolidating everything before the end. My mother is here. Everyone is.

I concealed my identity to grow stronger and I achieved my goal. There is no longer a reason to be "Arsto".

Black pigments seep my hair strands, engulfing my hair.

"Phew...let's go."

*Tap Tap Tap*

Heads turn when they notice someone they don't recognise yet my sword tells otherwise.

"That's Arsto?"

"I-I think? But that appearance looks oddly familiar..."

My heart races as my gaze darts around. All eyes are on me, scrutinising my every move.

"Calm down, Samuel, calm down." I repeatedly chant.

Nervousness has taken hold of my existence.

I wonder what everyone will think? What should I say? What if things go wrong?

Constant questions clash.

Finally, I stand before the pair of large doors.

"Hoofff..." I let out a deep breath and push the door open.

"Arsto, you are late-"

!!!!!!!!

...

Silence. Eyes wide open, trying to process what they see.

Almost everyone close to me is here around the table. Jon, Kin, Alure, Aerin, Lia, and most importantly...

"S-Samuel!" My mother exclaims. Maile jolts up and stares at me from head to toe. When I smile gently, she bolts forward and throws a hug.

"Samuel! A-Are you okay? Hurt anywhere? Have you been eating well?" She inspects my body and face.

"Yes..." I return the hug firmly.

Time seems to slow down in our embrace. Waves of emotions surge over us, leaving only the profound connection of a mother and her son. My mother's tears flow down my shoulder yet I don't mind it one bit.

"Samuel?! But you are dead?!" Rosy exclaims.

"To hide from the demonic cult, I went under an alias 'Arsto' to grow stronger. I...survived the blast by a miracle, someone saved me." I lie.

Rosy gazes down and goes silent. All the puzzles immediately connect.

...

Jon sighs. "As expected, one should not trust rumours."

The rest silently agree.

...

I sigh and scratch my hair. "What a boring reaction and I was extremely nervous to boot."

Without realising it, I've gained the complete trust of everyone in this room. The most shocking fact is Rena's monotonous look as if she expected this.

A man that stands out in the room approaches me. His unique silver-white hair and purplish-blue eyes are characteristics of one family, the royalty of Rodgof.

He puts out his hand. "Greetings, Sir Samuel. I am Luxian William Veila. I heard great things about you as Arsto, It's a huge honour to finally meet you."

I take his hand. "Likewise."

!

"Hm?" Luxian stares at my hand.

...

"Prince?"

"Ah right. I hope we can get to know each other." He pulls his hand away and returns to his seat.

...Luxian detected my demonic status.

Well, I expected it. He won't say anything due to his special circumstances anyway.

They continue the meeting and cover the itinerary, discussing their plans forward as well as solutions to manage different situations. Since the nobles have surrendered and declared peaceful negotiations, conditions and rewards are brought up during the meeting.

Albeit boring, it went smoothly and I return to my room with Maile.

"So this is where you've been staying..." Maile says. She scrutinises the room and glances out the window.

"Mom, tell me what happened in the past year." I sit on the bed.

She smiles and sits beside me. We catch up with one another and chat until the sky transitions to twilight.

Maile grabs my hand. "You've grown a lot stronger."

I nod. "So leave everything to me. I won't die so easily."

...

*knock knock*

?

I answer the door to find Rena outside in a beautiful black dress.

"Hello Ma'am, may I borrow your son for a bit?" she asks Maile.

"I don't mind."

Rena turns to me. "Let's go for a walk."

"...Alright."

We embark on an awkward and silent walk through Pole Ridge. As the sun begins its descent, the city has an enchanting shift in appearance. Lights slowly awaken, flickering illumination into the vibrant nightlife of citizens.

The silhouettes of people walking along sidewalks, with a backdrop of fading daylight, lend a sense of quietude and contemplation, a reflection of countless battles.

Rena brings me to a hill perched by a majestic windmill. The vanes of the windmill catch the fading light, turning them into a striking silhouette against the colourful sky and casting a tranquil ambience. A small calm river runs across the land.

She takes a seat beside the river and sinks her legs into the water. I collapse beside her.
"This is my favourite spot. It helps me when I feel overwhelmed." Rena says.

"Indeed, it is beautiful. We can see the whole city from here..."

...

"Rena...I'm sorry for what I did in the past." I say.

She nods.

...

"Why do you trust me so much?" Rena asks.

"Because I know your conviction. You are determined to sacrifice yourself on the path of a hero. I've been with you for many years, I can see it."

"But you are not the real Samuel."

...!

"I've heard of your deeds from Liam, Jon, Rosy, and Alure. Those are things the original Samuel can never do."

I couldn't say a word. I don't know how to respond.

I wonder what Rena's expression is now. She won't look at me.

"When did you realise?" I ask.

"Ever since you helped to defend this city."

That long?

...

"But I don't care if you are really Samuel or a spirit possessing Samuel, I like the current you more."

!!!

What?

I jolt from surprise. That caught me off guard.

"Is that a confession?" I ask.

"Maybe." Rena blurts.

I...

"Uhm...I didn't have the chance to say this before...Samuel..."

She turns to look at me. As the fading sun paints the sky with shades of roses and lavender, her long hair catches the soft radiant rays in a halo.

The gentle breeze plays with the fabric of her dress. An ethereal quality to her serene beauty.

Unlike her dark cold persona in the game, her current eyes sparkle with hope and happiness.
Transforming the atmosphere with her dazzling warm grin, she says something I least expected.

"Thank you."

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f464b334e43764e4d5657433867413d3d2d313339323331383031322e313739306365383830346533326436383730333632303939343236302e706e67?s=fit&w=1280&h=1280

...

A simple gratitude of thanks yet it meant the world to me.

What is this...enchanting and exhilarating sensation enveloping my heart and mind?

Oh no, I think I am falling in love.

25