Chapter 353: Preparations
562 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This is only 50%, the other half you will receive within six months,” I said to a group of people sitting in front of me.

Many of them have bandages covering their bodies. The serious injuries, some of them have suffered couldn’t be healed within a few days, even with the potions and the spells.

They would need time as well as the rest to recover fully.

“I have to say, my Lord, I am surprised. I thought you would give us, give pennies, instead of the standard rate,” said Captain Vandal.

They all are mercenary group leaders, who had fought against the undead with us. I am paying them today and, like he had said, it is not a full payment.

“I wanted to pay you all the more for your contribution to the city, but the city doesn’t have much money,” I said, and the man nodded. “We understand and currently, it is enough to make me and my men happy,” he said, looking at the check in front of him.

“I am glad, and I hope you all will stay. I promise you will not suffer the disappointment.” I said, there was no answer, aside from a smile.

A few seconds later, I walked out of the conference room with Ina.

“How many do you think will stay?” she asked. “It is hard to say, but at least half. I am glad, that Vandal is staying,” I replied.

I have got the personal assurance from Vandal that he is staying. It would have been great if I got it from others too. A few had already stated their intentions of going to the mainland.

It is very risky there, but also a lot of opportunities, and mercenaries are attracted to those things.

Soon, I reached my office, where the work was waiting for me. I have important meetings in fifteen minutes. It will overhaul one of the systems of the city and a few people are not happy with it.

It is necessary to change to turn the city into the place, I want.

‘Lord Silver, they are here,’ said Jill through the intercom. “Send them in,” I said and a minute later, three men came in.

Stone, Colonel Cardin, and Lt. Commander Julian.

Stone isn’t in a good mood. He had let out his opposition to it clearly and I understand it, but this time, I will not listen to him.

“My lord,” they greeted. “Everyone, please take a seat,” I said, and they took a seat. I nodded at Stone and Cardin, before turning to Julian.

“Has Stone, informed you of what I want?” I asked, to which he shook his head. “No, but he informed me, it is a responsibility for which, I will have to resign from the army,” he replied.

He had kept his expressions neutral, but I could see, he didn’t like that prospect.

“He is right. I want you to leave the army and lead the city guards. Police, to be precise; I am renaming them.”

“You will be chief-of-police, Commissioner to be exact,” I informed.

“Please forgive me, my lord, but I would like to be in the army,” he replied, rejecting the responsibility.

I can not blame him. The guards are on the lowest rung; even those responsible didn’t get much respect, but they will not be the guards, but the police.

It is not just a change of words, but a change of ethos. I am going to transform the guards from what they are right now.

“I am afraid I cannot accept your rejection. You are the only one I could trust to handle this responsibility.” I said and the man once again opened his mouth, clearly to reject.

“Give it three months, Lt. Colonel. After three months, if you want to return to the army, I will let you return.” I insisted.

I am lying. If I had thought of a better candidate than him. I would have given that responsibility to them. There is one equally good, but it would be impossible for me to get her.

Stone had barely agreed to release Lt. Colonel Julian. Her, he would not release in his dreams.

He sighed, hearing that.

“For three months. I accept,” he accepted, and a smile couldn’t help but appear on my face.

“The police will be different from the city guards. It will be directly under me, instead of the army. Also, the security of the city will be under its jurisdiction and the army won’t interfere in it unless it is requested by you or me,” I said and could see it had made the man surprised.

The city needs to be safe and, while Greltheaven had been relatively safe. It could do better, especially with gangs.

The gangs from merchant cities and empires had started spreading their claws in the city.
The war with the undead had brought me some time, and I was going to use that well.

I am not going to eradicate them; not all of them, nor could I. It is a problem, one could control, not eradicate.

They left an hour later, and I focused back on the work.

I worked till it was an afternoon before I walked out of the office. I have a meeting; it is not in the city hall. It could have been, but the place I am going to is more perfect.

I sat on the carriage with Zela, and it moved.

Fifteen minutes later, the carriage stopped and walked out toward the broad-shouldered man, who was already waiting for me.

“Lord Silver,” the man greeted as he turned his eyes toward me from the mist. “Manager Shaw,” I said, and mist swirled around us beautifully.

“They agreed. The headquarters has asked me to tell you, that the bank is willing to provide you with any amount, you need to rebuild your legacy,” he replied and seemed quite excited, which is quite rare with this man.

I am not surprised. I have received offers from several banks and a construction firm from a merchant state too, but I had chosen to work with repose and bulwark.

I have been working with them for over a year and I like the bank. However, they will have to match the offer of others. If they couldn’t do that, then even a good relationship wouldn’t be enough for us to work together.

“Thank you,” I said, and he smiled.

For the establishment. There are tens of people willing to offer me the money. My legacy is different. Now, my enemies won’t kill me. They know I will not die, taking their money with me.

They don’t care about the money. At least, when it comes to once in a life opportunity. A reconstruction of the legacy almost never happens; being part of it, anyway, is a huge opportunity.

The same couldn’t be said for the reconstruction of the city. I had asked around for the loan, but not a single person was willing to help with that.

“If you don’t mind me asking. When are you going to start the reconstruction of legacy?” he asked.

“As soon as possible,” I replied.

Still, it might take a few weeks to get it started.

Valentina is returning tomorrow. I will meet her and Edmor the day after that regarding it. If it was up to me, I would have done it already, but I was busy and so was she.

She had been to the merchant state for a few days, negotiating the amendments to contracts we had signed with them.

Edmor was even more busy; I had him looking through the blueprint of the city. I had asked him to add a few things. It is not as easy as it looked, especially when we have little money.

It is because of it that I hadn't started the reconstruction of the city. I need to make a plan before starting it.

So, as little money as possible would get wasted.

The man left soon, and I had to leave too, but I walked into the dense mist. Soon, I am centered with mist all around me.

I waved my hand as soon as the sun appeared, with the planet revolving around it. I looked at it, before focusing on the one, that is holding the emotion essence.

There is a little more emotion essence than yesterday.

Every day, it is increasing little by little, and Caena is extracting it from the planet. It is the shell, that had been destroyed, but not the legacy and it is still absorbing the emotions.

The legacy isn’t guarded in every hour.

Aside from three hours every day, we would let people inside. Letting them feel the faint effect of legacy and absorb their emotions.

Even in times like this, a lot of people came. To most, it is the chance of a lifetime; they might never do it after it passed.

I need every bit of essence, not only to cast the spells but also to buy things like potions. Those potions with emotion essence are a big reason why many of the powerhouses who had fought the battle are still alive today.

I barely have any potions left, and I didn’t ask, those I gave away back. I wouldn’t get them back, anyway.

It is too precious. If I tried to ask back, most would say, they had already used it.

I didn’t stay at the establishment long and returned to the city hall. Where I worked and met with the people and got the update about people leaving the city.

The number is in the thousands, but less than a third of yesterday.

In the first three days of the blockage, opening, the number of people leaving the city had reached over ten thousand. We cannot afford to lose people, but we can’t forcefully stop them, either.

The approach needs to be gentle, which is what I am doing. It seemed to be working seeing how the numbers are decreasing.

Though it could go higher if the undead bastards attacked again, and they will. I just hope I will be more prepared to deal with them than the last time.

I am trying. I had ordered the mines and other weapons needed. I am also recruiting people, which Stone is training every day.

This time, the undead will fight one cohesive army that will work together. It will not be easy to achieve that, but I am confident, that Stone would manage, as long as we have enough time.

“We are doing better than I had thought. I have seen the cities getting emptied after the undead attack.” Said Zela.

Yes, we are.

I have been getting a report from the other cities. Thousands are leaving the cities like Riverbell and Port Midlet. Forget them, people are also leaving Deerpond and Gailhorn, which have yet to be attacked by the undead.

Though people could understand those two will be targets. Both of them are the biggest cities in the region and are strategically important.

The undead will attack them, and they might not wait for long.

I shook my head at those thoughts and looked at the file in front of me.

It is about the funeral tomorrow. Thousands have lost their lives and tomorrow, they will be buried with all the honor and respect.

I have made all the preparations, I could with the money I have. It will be good, with thousands of people attending.

Still Craving? Tap on Patreon to read chapters ahead.

25