Chapter 355: Attack On Nakar
596 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scala
 
"Have you decided?" I asked, as Damon sat in front of me.
 
"No, it is too difficult," he said, shaking his head. I didn't say anything, as it is indeed a difficult decision.
 
Though, if I had been in his place. I would have made the decision within seconds. There is really not much to think about it.
 
I have seen the paper and I have to say, I am kind of shocked. The powers are great; far more than when Silver had the job.
 
I am not him, and while I am his wife, our priorities are different.
 
A surprise appeared on my face as I thought about that. A thought like this never entered my mind before; since we wed, I always thought of us as one. 
 
"What happened?" asked Damon, seeing the change in my expression. "I had thought something I had never thought before," I replied, and he looked me in question, but I didn't answer.
 
Even I don't have an answer to the thought, that had just come to my mind.
 
The staff laid out the breakfast in front of us, and we started eating in silence. We were at the end of it when Damon turned to me.
 
"What would you do if you were in my place?" he asked. "I would accept it," I replied without hesitation, surprising him.
 
"It was quick," he said.
 
"Not really. I have been thinking about it, since you told me yesterday," I lied. I had the answer the moment I read the paper.
 
"Care to explain the reasons behind it?" he asked. I didn't answer immediately. I thought about it for a few seconds before finally opening my mouth.
 
"There are several reasons. First is that we have been forced to stay in the city, despite the obvious dangers, since the family bet on the wrong horse,"
 
They didn't get a choice to even think whether to leave or stay in the city after the battle. The family wants them to stay. 
 
Prince Grelt, whom the family had chosen, has died and the second prince and his backers were moving toward the family like sharks.
 
While the assets have been divided across the whole empire to manage the risk. Princess Orlene and others aren't taking the revenge. It had diluted the influence of the family, which, till a week ago, was one of the most powerful merchant houses in the empire.
 
Now, the family wants them to stay in the city, and gather more influence. 
 
So, they will have a safe harbor. 
 
"Since this is the place, we are making our home. We should drill down our roots as deep as possible, not only to protect us against our enemies but also against our family," 
 
His expression turned serious after hearing that. 
 
The family takes as much as it gives. We had no choice, but to follow the orders they had given us. If we had enough power, we would have been able to ignore those orders from them.
 
"The last and most important. Silver is not asking to give up the business; he is only asking to step away from it. The business isn't going anywhere," I said, and he sighed and took my hand in hers.
 
"I know, but business is everything. We have been taught that, before we could even talk," he said and I couldn't help, but nod.
 
"It is a risky decision, but if the city survives long enough and Silver could make something out of it; it will give you an enormous influence,"
 
"Yesterday, we had invited Silver's mistress to our women's charity event. When we asked her about the legacy, she said Silver had a big plan for it. She said it would be unlike anything." 
 
Legacy is an important part of the city and a huge factor one has to weigh in their decisions. The cities are changed by the legacies, and Silver's legacy isn't like the normal legacy.
 
My heart started to beat in anticipation. When I thought about its reconstruction.
 
Whatever it is, I hope it will be soon. 
 
I still haven't forgotten that day. I have dreams about it every day. Several times, I had pleasured myself, thinking of those moments and unlike before the pleasure came.
 
Still, it couldn't be compared to the real thing. I want to experience it again and crave it enough that I fear I might end up mistake, that will cost me dearly.
 
"Since we are staying. We might as well take another risk. I will accept the job and as for the business, you will handle it," he said, bringing me out of my thoughts.
 
It took a moment to realize what he had said, and when I did, my heart couldn't help but flutter.
 
"The family wouldn't like it," I said. 
 
I am not talking about him accepting the new job. They will love it; I am talking about him handling the reins of the business to me. The family had rules and one of them was that they never let women lead the business.
 
"They had forced us to stay here. They will have to accept it; it's not like they could send anyone here to replace us or Silver will offer them a job, as he did to me," he said, bringing a smile to my face.
 
It is one of the most dangerous places in the empire. No one in their right mind would come here.
 

 
I woke up, slightly later than usual. I had woken up in the middle of the night and stayed awake for an hour, before sleeping back.
 
Click!
 
I got off the bed and showered, before walking out of the room.
 
"What is the progress?" I asked Zela. "Still marching," she replied. I nodded and walked out of the suit.
 
I had breakfast in the kitchen, before sitting on the carriage for the city hall.
 
When I had reached it. I didn't walk to my office, instead, I entered conference room 7. The people are already waiting there.
 
Aside from Shaman Trek, Colonel Cardin and Lt. Colonel Azalea. There are Robin and Ina.
 
"My lord," they greeted, and I nodded before sitting down.
 
"I didn't think, Dane would attack, so quickly and with such force," I said, looking at a map of the Renwell region in the middle of the attack.
 
We knew it would happen, but the timing came sooner than we had expected.
 
"It shouldn't have surprised us. Commander Dane considers Nakar forest his turf. He had his men there, but now everyone turned against him, and a prideful man like himself, couldn't bear that,"
 
"Most importantly, Nakar forest is important to him. The trade that will flow from there will sustain the mirador hold, now that the funding from the city has been cut. He needs to bring it under his control as soon as possible," said Colonel Cardin.
 
At midnight, Dane declared that he was marching against baronies who had rebelled against the empire. He is attacking them to bring them back the empire's fold; it is an excuse, of course.
 
Excuse as it may be, but it would be a powerful attack. He is leading the army of twenty-five thousand, along with powerhouses.
 
"What do you are his chances?" I asked. For that, I didn't get the answer immediately.
 
"It is hard to say. Commander Dane is powerful and has nine Lv. 30+ powerhouses under his command. The army he is leading is experienced and works together well,"
 
"The barons aren't weak either. They have men like Baron Harrods and Baron Lockridge, both are veterans. There are also powerhouses like your sister, Baroness Leila, and Major Jarvis,"
 
"Their own army should have about twenty-thousand people; it might not be as well experienced as the holds, but there is some experience due to them fighting the monster horde,"
 
"Not to mention, the battle won't be fought in plains; it will be in the forest, and they are prepared, " said Stone.
 
Both sides have an advantage. I think barons have more Lv. 30 powerhouses. I already know eight of them and more will pop up. Dane, on the other hand, has a disciplined army.
 
"Dane shouldn't win. If he did, his next target will be us," I said. He didn't hide his intentions to get Greltheaven under its control.
 
"Dane wouldn't attack us, even if won against the barons. If he did, we are more than capable of dealing with him," replied Stone.
 
We have a big enough army and powerhouses. Our army may not be as experienced, but we have the greatest advantage in the river. He will need a really big army if he wants to come at us.
 
"Still be alert; I don't want us to make mistakes in our complacency," I said and went back to my office.
 
A few hours passed, and I had several meetings. A few impromptu ones, most of them are merchants. 
 
Some had come to get the job, most to save theirs.
 
The news of me overhauling the merchant guild had spread throughout the city. A lot of people are going to lose their positions, and some are seeing this as a chance to gain the position.
 
I have let the news out, but won't be making the changes quickly; at least not till, Damon Hardt and Lola return from their trip.
 
He has accepted the job and leaving tomorrow with Lola and will be returning for around two weeks. He will be visiting a lot of cities, including Namdar. 
 
"It is time," I said after I checked Dane's progress and walked out of my office, feeling excited.
 
Click!
 
It took me a minute before I reached the conference room, where Edmor was sitting with Davidson and three other people from Valentina's new company, which she opened with Edmor.
 
She is also sitting there, not as the owner of the company, but as my finance chief.
 
"My lord," they greeted. "Everyone," I said and sat down, before turning to Ed. 
 
I have given their company their first job, which is to design and make an estimate of the reconstructions. Not just reconstruction, but the addition of a few new places, like parks, bigger military barracks, and many other things.
 
"Have you finished it?" I asked him.
 
"Yes, my lord," he said and placed the files in front of me, before spreading large parchment, which covered nearly whole the table. The parchment had a map of the city, and it was very clear; I could see every part of the city.
 
It is even more detailed than the GPS maps.
 
The three people sitting beside him also moved and placed the eleven display boards. They are showing the different things, I had asked him to design.
 
I turned my eyes back to the map on the table and looked at things in blue ink. They are new things I had asked to design. They are the buildings, that got destroyed in the battle, but also the gardens, roads, and many other things,
 
Though the biggest area of blue ink is around my establishment, anyone could notice a single glace.
 
Though, unlike other places of blue ink. It is blank. There is no design. We haven't started; today will be the first meeting we will have about the establishment's reconstruction.
 
I forcefully move my eyes away from it. It is not the time; I will need to finish the city's business before I can conduct mine.
 
"I studied the blueprints and files of the city, and one thing, had confused me a lot," said Edmor. 
 
"What is it?" asked Valentina. 
 
"The city is one of the worst places it could be. They are ten times better places, a few miles upstream and downstream," he said, surprising me.
 
"Why do you think that?" I asked. Feeling curious. "The soil sample, the geographical markers, makes it one of the worst places to establish the city, but they did it," replied.
 
"Has the Architect Raldin fooled the prince?" asked Valentina. It could be possible, though, the other prince's influence, but Ed shook his head.
 
"Unlikely. For this project, a man like Prince Grelt would have consulted many architects. They wouldn't have had much problem finding it," he replied.
 
"So, it is the intention," said Valentina, guessing what he was trying to say, and Edmor nodded.
 
"Intentional or not. We do not have any time to think about it. Instead, we should focus on the work in front of us," I said.
 
For a few seconds, there was a silence before Valentina spoke.
 
"I had studied the cost. We do not have money to fund, even half of it," said Valentina. "We do not have to build everything at once; we will do it in stages," I said and opened the first file.
 
I began to read it. Now and then I would look at designs and ask Ed and the old man questions. Even with the skill, it took me over an hour to finish reading through all and half an hour more to divide it into phases based on our needs.
 
There will be three phases. It will involve the reconstruction, as well as building new things.
 
"Release the tenders, for the first phase tomorrow," I said to Valentina. She nodded and turned to me.
 
"What are these twenty-eight tiny buildings? You have been quiet about them, my lord," she asked. The other eyes turned to me, looking curious.
 
I have told them about everything except for these tiny buildings. I had asked them to build it in every area of the city. 
 
"You will know after you built them," I replied. I could tell she wanted to glare at me, but she bowed, seeing the people around her.
 
"Our firm won't be able to bid on it, right, my lord?" asked Davidson, and I nodded. 
 
It is a big project, and even a small part of it will help them a lot, but they won't be bidding on it. I feel bad and it is not fair to them, but I do not want to show favoritism, since they are my favorite.
 
They will be building the new establishment, for which I had already received tens of letters and hundreds of messages from many firms from the merchant state and empire.
 
Everyone wants to be part of it.
 
"Now, that we finished with it. Let's move on to the legacy," said Valentina, and the eyes of everyone in the room lit up, including mine.
 
….
 
Barb
 
"Thank you, Hugo. You will not regret this," I said and hugged the man, who seemed to be already regretting his decision.
 
It is why, I didn't give him a chance and walked away from his office.
 
Hugo agreed, but not without condition. Now, I will have to convince the other man and I don't know whether he will agree or not.
 
I will respect his decision, but I truly hope, he agrees. I have finally found, the purpose in my life and I want to follow it, no matter how dangerous it is.

For more, Tap PATREON Below.

26